Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maps4ltd

Re: What do you like or don’t like about the Trump Administration

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:16 am

Jouhou wrote:
The economy does well despite the actions of the administration, not because of it.

So we recovered from the 2008 recession despite Obama? This goes both ways.
Delta Gold Medallion

tommy1808

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:47 am

LMP737 wrote:
The one thing I like is that it has exposed evangelical Christians as the sanctimonious frauds that they are.

and the Republican party is exposed as the "Law and order is for others" Party that it always have been in a more spectacular way ....

How many federal court orders has the admin ignored so far? The latest i think is removing all Kushner material from the Mueller stuff they where ordered to hand over.....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

N14AZ

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:28 am

Maybe, MAYBE, he will be different during his second term when he is released from the burden (or addiction) of having a continuous election campaign

SanDiegoLover

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
I do not like how awful the economy is under Trump. Many Americans work 3 jobs with horrible to no benefits and zero opportunity to ever retire.

The economy has only benefited the wealthy under Trump or retired boomers. Millennials and the igen will have to support pensions that these generations will never see. Boomers have benefited from pensions, stability, and environmental destruction.

Millennials and the igen did not have college paid for or subsidized like boomers or even generation x did. Life was much cheaper even adjusted for inflation. Trump will leave a legacy of economic destruction for millennials and the igen. You would have thought baby boomers would have learned from being hurt under the Bush years that conservative economic policy is not beneficial to the middle or lower classes.

I’m GenX and our higher education system had already been decimated by Boomers. Never has their been a greedier generation who have inherited the most from the country, yet has left so little....and in fact worse, a massive debt obligation. That said, our education was still far more affordable. One could work and pay a lot of our educational expenses as we went and only have several thousand $$$ in debt vs. $20k, $40k, or even $80k or more in student loans by today’s generation. But GenX has also endured two massive recessions in our adulthood that has decimated our well being. And most of our Boomer parents are ill prepared for providing for themselves in old age, so again we all are expected to carry them.

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/20/16772670 ... gress-debt

Boomers knew even 38 years ago after the establishment of the Greenspan Commission that they were going to be a massive drain on future generations and that they needed to do several things to prepare for this, including running budget surpluses not deficits. Their track record on the deficit alone tells you all you need to know.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/18/you-can-c ... rents-die/

https://www.fastcompany.com/40545713/ba ... ke-it-back

tommy1808

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am

N14AZ wrote:
Maybe, MAYBE, he will be different during his second term when he is released from the burden (or addiction) of having a continuous election campaign

We heard that song three years ago.....

Best regards
Thomas

Zkpilot

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:48 am

Plenty not to like, but on the like side of things at least he has the guts to actually try to deal with China unlike the previous 3 maybe even 4 Presidents who have enabled China.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

tommy1808

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:51 am

Zkpilot wrote:
Plenty not to like, but on the like side of things at least he has the guts to actually try to deal with China unlike the previous 3 maybe even 4 Presidents who have enabled China.

and what has he actually accomplished with regards to China, other than imposing new Taxes on US citizens. The agreement is no different, and probably even less comprehensive, than what previous administrations had quietly achieved?

I am all for tariffs on China, the more the better, but what *exactly* did Trump get in return previous admins didn´t get?

best regards
Thomas

N14AZ

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:18 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

We heard that song three years ago.....

Well, I am not that optimistic as well, hence the „maybe, MAYBE“.

tommy1808 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

and what has he actually accomplished with regards to China, other than imposing new Taxes on US citizens. The agreement is no different, and probably even less comprehensive, than what previous administrations had quietly achieved?

I am all for tariffs on China, the more the better, but what *exactly* did Trump get in return previous admins didn´t get?

It doesn’t really matter for Trump and his supporters. For Trump it’s enough if he can claim he achieved something. It’s similar to wrestling, it just has to look as if he has achieved something. That’s enough during this era of populism :-/

Dutchy

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:05 pm

The United States supports the initiative to plant a trillion (1,000 billion) trees worldwide to combat climate change, US President Donald Trump said Tuesday at the start of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Switzerland Davos.

In dutch

So the US is supporting the 1.000billion trees to be planted. Well, this is something I like about Trump, he is supporting this. Now let's see if it is more than just words.......
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The United States supports the initiative to plant a trillion (1,000 billion) trees worldwide to combat climate change, US President Donald Trump said Tuesday at the start of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Switzerland Davos.

In dutch

So the US is supporting the 1.000billion trees to be planted. Well, this is something I like about Trump, he is supporting this. Now let's see if it is more than just words.......

Does Trump know about that yet?

Best regards
Thomas

jetero

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:17 pm

windy95 wrote:
jetero wrote:
ParkFSI wrote:
I really need to check my pay stub this week while at work ( of course it’s electronic and I haven’t checked it in over a year ) but it always bothers me seeing how much is deducted. I was told the company has had tax cuts and they passed some of the savings to the employees, my pay has increased about 10K in the last two years.

Yes, please check that paycheck. Start with your first paycheck after the tax cut. It sounds to me as if it must not’ve registered if you can’t remember. And I’m not surprised, because that’s how it was for the overwhelming majority of Americans.

Made approximately $20K more in 2018 than 2017 and paid about $1400 less in taxes. So a nice cut felt by many like me in the middle class area.

I made ~$50k more and paid only ~$5k more.

If that's your only standard, well, there's no discussion to be had.

Plenty of us have other standards.

Dutchy

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

In dutch

Best regards
Thomas

Well, if he knows what he literally talks about, then yes he knows, but then again that is quite a big if.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

In dutch

Best regards
Thomas

Well, if he knows what he literally talks about, then yes he knows, but then again that is quite a big if.

That is about 100 billion USD..... and he can not even make budget decisions....
Money well spend.... but from a climate change lunatic?

Best regards
Thomas

zakuivcustom

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:15 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Indeed. The whole Chinese tariff is half-baked measures just to show that he did something.

Not to mention, instead of "containment" similar to Cold War, i.e. working with neighboring nations like Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, etc. and make them friends, Trump decide to take on everybody at once in the trade war, which is totally stupid. Meanwhile, the manufacturing industry in US is still down, stuffs are still being made in China, and the whole "agreement" did nothing as we all know China will just act like they're doing something for awhile, then go back to the same old, same old.

Otherwise...
Like: Enforcing Immigration Law to an extent...but...
Dislike:
1. Scapegoating illegal immigrants for all of US woes.
2. Use Executive Orders to bypass Congress
3. Still not going after big biz and their love of hiring illegal labors for slave wage...oh wait, forgot that Trump, Inc. is doing that
4. Trying to waste money building a useless wall, and being a crybaby and shuts down the gov't for months and still got nothing.

Half-like:
1. Despite all the saber rattling, somehow still haven't start a full-fledged war

BUT...Other dislike:
1. Economy is good on paper only, but in reality, the rich get richer and the poor stay poor.
2. Policies like revoking Iran deal only to despise Obama, instead of benefiting US
3. Trump is just morally corrupt, yet somehow the worthless evangelical still support him

Reinhardt

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:31 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
I agree, however, what ever works for Germany works for Germany, but that doesn't mean it will work in the US, that's why we are different countries.

When I meant Germans coming here was not because they came here for our healthcare, they came here for perhaps better opportunities of which they did not have back home.

I really hope America stays the way it is, I don't need to look across the pond to see how some country is doing something better than ours, sure we can improve many things, and they should be improved, but we don't want America to be like Europe or any other part of the world. This is what makes this country unique.

Indeed very different countries, but don't dismiss considering a different way of doing things just because the idea did not originate in your country. The best countries / economies of the world see what's working elsewhere and can modify ideas to suit their own requirements. The problem is right now, the US model isn't working for everyone, you have a problem that should be fixed. For many people it's not working in a montumental life changing (negative) way. One side of the political spectrum is seemingly completely against any change, yet it's clearly badly needed.

So take a look around, take the best of what others do and then make it better for you. The US has the money, and damn well has the brainpower and ability to do it.

Kno

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:49 pm

ParkFSI wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
ParkFSI wrote:
I try and keep up and learn about politics, but like most Americans I’m a mushroom. But I vote with my wallet, period, I personally don’t care about anything else. That is where the rubber meets the road and if the U.S. economy is good so is most of the world. If you are employed in the U.S. I can’t see anyway that you are worse off than three years ago.
Many of us are perplexed why fellow Americans are disgusted with this administration. I’m only 58 and I’ve never seen a admin get so much done while having to swim up stream.
Anyway, that’s my #1 reason why I give the current admin a thumbs up. As far as my dislike, don’t have one because it doesn’t effect me.

You didn’t sound so sanguine just 2 weeks ago. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1438177&p=21899355#p21899355

I don’t understand what you’re saying ? My wife and I went through a unexpected tuff time and instead of sleeping late and laying around watching TV we did odd jobs to get by, did continuing education and got back to good full time employment.

I'll never understand why people look to the POTUS as the make or break for the economy when there are so many additional factors to consider.

The unfortunate reality is most people who are supporting Trump are doing so because they are giving him credit where it's not due.

Wallet aside, does nothing else matter to you? Being a person of character? A sense of human decency? It's scary how many Trump supporters have zero concern over what kind of person Donald Trump has shown himself to be.

I ask Trump supporters, if Trump hasn't already crossed the line for you, where do you draw it? Would you vote for a pedophile if it was good for your wallet? Would you vote for a KKK leader if it was good for your wallet? We already know he's a misogynist and a racist, he's been accused of sexual assault by multiple people, including his own wife, but apparently that's no problem... When is enough enough and we deem somebody of too poor character to be our President?

Zkpilot

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:35 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

best regards
Thomas

China’s economic growth has slowed to the lowest rate in decades for one.
I didn’t say there wasn’t pain from it but making goods from an economic opportunist like China more expensive isn’t exactly the worst thing.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

WarRI1

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:00 am

LMP737 wrote:
The one thing I like is that it has exposed evangelical Christians as the sanctimonious frauds that they are.

Amen Brother!!!!
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

casinterest

Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:39 am

WarRI1 wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

Amen Brother!!!!

Christians in Name only.
Where ever you go, there you are.

tommy1808

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:46 am

Zkpilot wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

best regards
Thomas

China’s economic growth has slowed to the lowest rate in decades for one.
I didn’t say there wasn’t pain from it but making goods from an economic opportunist like China more expensive isn’t exactly the worst thing.

"but what *exactly* did Trump get in return previous admins didn´t get" was the question. So your answer is "absolutely nothing". Now that is a good reason to pay more taxes.... . It wasn´t did it hurt China or how much... and even that is likely utter bs, considering that Chna´s growth was in a steady decline since 2012, so in almost every year in the last decade China’s economic growth had slowed to the lowest rate in decades. So again: Absolutely nothing.Remind when when "Pivot to Asia" started? Like, as a strategy?

If numbnuts where half as smart as he thinks he is, he would not have forced Japan, South Korea and essentially everybody else to play nice with China to avoid a two-front trade war....

And that is from me, the worlds biggest fan of not trading with China at all. Or any other Dictatorship for that matter.

best regards
Thomas

Aaron747

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 am

maps4ltd wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
The economy does well despite the actions of the administration, not because of it.

So we recovered from the 2008 recession despite Obama? This goes both ways.

It’s not an unfair statement to make - WH always takes credit for economic successes and shifts blame elsewhere when down - but the reality is it’s a larger animal than any POTUS can influence. Only because of the Lehman/AIG catastrophe were Secretaries Paulson and Geithner subject to outsized importance.

I found something to like about 45 though: he said Boeing is a disappointing company right now
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

apodino

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:04 pm

Things I like:

1. The US treasury has had record revenue every year since Trump took office. Here is a link to the source.
https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-government-tax-revenue-3305762

2. I like the judicial philosophies of the Judges who have been appointed and confirmed by the Senate since Trump took office.

3. I like that Trump is actually doing something to address the border situation, which has been ignored by politicians on both sides of the aisle for way too long.

4. Despite what people say, the cabinet is more diverse than people realize.

Things I don't like:

1. I don't like trump having to insult anyone who disagrees with him. We are going to disagree on things. That is fine and healthy. But to endlessly insult people who dare oppose him is not something I condone and its something straight out of Hugo Chavez's playbook.

2. He has not even made one attempt to try to unite a clearly divided country. He is perfectly content to tick off half the country as long as the other half is happy. That is wrong. The last president who tried to unite a divided country was Bush the second, and unfortunately Dick Cheney hijacked his presidency and it turned out to be a disaster.

3. His style is to govern by instinct. That itself is not a bad thing, but with a government and nation so complicated, to ignore what your advisors tell you and not even delve deep into policy, that is not cool.

4. Regardless of what you think about the media, he treats them like dirt. Granted Acosta is no angel at all, but two wrongs don't make a right.

5. He doesn't strike me as a humble guy. Most politicians are not humble, but are arrogant, but Trump takes it to an extreme level.

6. His moral values are nonexistent. I know people will defend his stance on the Pro-LIfe issue, but if you look at this guys history, he is no saint at all.

7. He has done nothing to help ease racial tensions in this country, and sadly IMO the last president who help racial tensions was Clinton.

8. He wants nothing but yes men, and no body who will stand up to him. This has led to a huge turnover in just his first term. He seems to treat his staff like crap unless they bow down and worship him. This is not cool. That being said, Klobuchar has the same reputation as well, which is one reason she wont get my vote either.

9. Trumps election is a symptom of a much bigger problem in this country, which is hatred and bullying, and non compromise. If these issues had been addressed prior to 2016, there is no way Trump would have ever been elected. And sadly, the crop of candidates left vieing for the Democratic Nomination (Save for possibly Biden and Buttigieg), are also symptoms of this as well. No matter what happens in 2020, this issue is not going away anytime soon.

casinterest

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm

And another thing not to like, especially if you are a donor.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/washingt ... 48052.html

The AG’s office alleges that the inaugural committee wrongfully spent $1.03 million in funds at the Trump International Hotel, spending “far above even the Hotel’s own internal pricing guidelines.”
Where ever you go, there you are.

BN747

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 pm

apodino wrote:
Things I don't like:
9. Trumps election is a symptom of a much bigger problem in this country, which is hatred and bullying, and non compromise.

'hatred and bullying, and non compromise'...America's factual history bores a much BIGGER culprit at fault than that.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Max Q

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:21 am

One thing that does unite chump’s supporters is a love of his racism
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

BN747

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 am

Max Q wrote:

Hey, that's his bread n' butta'....he came down the escalator singing that tune and launching his campaign.

That's an easy one, now to figure out how to detect the non-racists among them...are there any?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Max Q

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:58 am

BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Hey, that's his bread n' butta'....he came down the escalator singing that tune and launching his campaign.

That's an easy one, now to figure out how to detect the non-racists among them...are there any?

BN747

I don’t think so BN, hatred of anyone different is at the root of chumps ‘soul’

His cult followers have finally found a deity for their own insecurities, bigotry and ignorance

I agree there is no coming back from this, chump is, in my opinion the most destructive ‘leader’ of all time

Others have tried, but no one has the power he holds enabled by a co dependent senate who have discarded all American values for his voters

GGg

BN747

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 am

Max Q wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

BN747

His cult followers have finally found a deity for their own insecurities, bigotry and ignorance

I agree there is no coming back from this, chump is, in my opinion the most destructive ‘leader’ of all time

Others have tried, but no one has the power he holds enabled by a co dependent senate who have discarded all American values for his voters

...and the nation's top cop, Atty Gen. Barr, looking out for trump NOT America, at his side.

Full disclosure, he did say in the fumes of one of his many Sessions tantrum 'He wanted a LOYAL attorney general, no one blinked....now he has one, every one is blinking in astonishment!

BN747

Max Q

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:53 am

BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

...and the nation's top cop, Atty Gen. Barr, looking out for trump NOT America, at his side.

Full disclosure, he did say in the fumes of one of his many Sessions tantrum 'He wanted a LOYAL attorney general, no one blinked....now he has one, every one is blinking in astonishment!

BN747

It’s the epitome of sleaze

Never in my life could I have even conceived what has happened here or that our Democracy was this fragile

If chump stays in power I believe it’s the end of the United States

GGg

tommy1808

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 am

apodino wrote:
Things I like:

1. The US treasury has had record revenue every year since Trump took office. Here is a link to the source.
https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-government-tax-revenue-3305762

That is 150 Billion USD less in 2018 than in 2015, or a 7% lower yield, if you correct for the size of the Economy. If you think that is an unfair approach, because less taxes are good, you have a 115 Billion USD shortfall if correcting for Inflation...... i don´t think that is "more" by any sensible definition.
The scary bit is that tax revenue now only makes up ~75% of spending.... in a boom, where you should have budget surplus...

Incomplete list (Germany isn´t listed for example, despite having had a budget surplus every year since 2014 for example)
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/cou ... rplus.html

I mean.. holy shit that looks bad (i think the chart doesn´t need english translations to be understood):

3. I like that Trump is actually doing something to address the border situation, which has been ignored by politicians on both sides of the aisle for way too long.

more realistically he is just really loud about it, but not really doing anything more than previous admins....

2. He has not even made one attempt to try to unite a clearly divided country. He is perfectly content to tick off half the country as long as the other half is happy. That is wrong. The last president who tried to unite a divided country was Bush the second, and unfortunately Dick Cheney hijacked his presidency and it turned out to be a disaster.

I don´t think Bush Senior, Clinton or Obama did anything to push the division actively, but it is nice to see that there are at least some conservatives realizing this is a real problem.

4. Regardless of what you think about the media, he treats them like dirt. Granted Acosta is no angel at all, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Mmmh... i can recall that even the networks critizing him most needed a really long time before they stopped riding the "Now he is finally presidential" train every time he did something remotely resembling sanity....

His moral values are nonexistent. I know people will defend his stance on the Pro-LIfe issue, but if you look at this guys history, he is no saint at all.

that is the fascinating bit. Clinton was a pig and it is hard to see in what way Trump is any better....

Trumps election is a symptom of a much bigger problem in this country, which is hatred and bullying, and non compromise.

:checkmark: This!
The fun bit is, after the Russians had decided that Trump would lose, and changed their strategy to poisoning Hilary Clinton´s Presidency, they inadvertantly did a lot better than with pushing Trump. Americans tend to vote because of something they don´t want, rather than going to the booth to vote for what they want.

best regards
Thomas

tommy1808

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 am

BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I think there are plenty. Trumps racism is just not enough to have them vote for somebody else ...

best regards
Thomas

BN747

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:25 am

Max Q wrote:
Never in my life could I have even conceived what has happened here or that our Democracy was this fragile

No question about it.

He has obliterated the rules of Politics as we have known them.

P-o-l-i-t-i-c-s....the very means by which we humans 'police' ourselves , establish, manage and govern 'civilized society'... there is no way of having civilized society without those self-policing rules outside or monarchy or dictatorships.

If he is successful in escaping this one last mine field (of his own making mind you)...he has single handily dismantled the American government system.

A barely functional illiterate took down what 1000s of smarter men put together in the bat of an eye.

BN747

SanDiegoLover

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:11 am

Max Q wrote:

I think if Trump is re-elected you will see most of the other major powers making active moves to distance themselves from the USA and look to China and forming other coalitions to deal with a rogue US. I think most world leaders were shocked and appalled when Trump was elected but thought he would either step up to the standards of previous Presidents or thought our system’s guardrails would contain him. For the first couple of years leaders like Macron, Merkle, and Trudeau tried to be magnanimous towards him, but no longer. I think they have given the American public one more chance to correct this before they swing into action.

We already see moves to dedollarize various nation’s economies. This week’s Economist magazine has a big spread on it. After 9/11 the US began waging war via the dollar and dollar payments, via SWIFT the main clearinghouse network for banks to “talk” to one another. Obama continued this. But Trump has amped this war up by a massive amount.

Russia is on a relentless path to throw off the shackles of the dollar. In 2010 over 85% of Russia’s FX was in US dollars. By end of this year it will be in the 58% range. This will accelerate if their MIR payment settlement exchange gains traction, or if the petroyuan becomes common. The EU is also trying to build out INSTEX as an alternative to SWIFT.

Obviously, this won’t change things overnight, but rather a 10 to 15 year path that once started down by these countries won’t be “undone” by the time 2025 rolls around. Besides, Trump is not the problem, he’s merely a symptom. Trump has been stymied and flummoxed because of his incompetence but the next, even worse, Republican is just around the corner. Most of us thought GW Bush couldn’t be made to look like a true statesman. The next Republican just might make Trump seem like a quaint, geezer, by the next election.

https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2019/12/17/w ... n-process/

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/27/russias ... emain.html

https://www.nationofchange.org/2020/01/ ... nomic-war/

tommy1808

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:19 am

BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

No question about it.

i used to have lots of discussions about the 1930s in Germany with US friends over the last 25 years or so. They never understood how everything could go to shit with people more or less watching it happening. Two of them have told me that they now understand, one even said she was sorry about the, lets all it robust, positions she had about it.

best regards
Thomas

BN747

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:45 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

No question about it.

i used to have lots of discussions about the 1930s in Germany with US friends over the last 25 years or so. They never understood how everything could go to shit with people more or less watching it happening. Two of them have told me that they now understand, one even said she was sorry about the, lets all it robust, positions she had about it.

best regards
Thomas

My take on the 1930s is best explained by this post...
SanDiegoLover wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I think if Trump is re-elected you will see most of the other major powers making active moves to distance themselves from the USA and look to China and forming other coalitions to deal with a rogue US. I think most world leaders were shocked and appalled when Trump was elected but thought he would either step up to the standards of previous Presidents or thought our system’s guardrails would contain him. For the first couple of years leaders like Macron, Merkle, and Trudeau tried to be magnanimous towards him, but no longer. I think they have given the American public one more chance to correct this before they swing into action.

We already see moves to dedollarize various nation’s economies. This week’s Economist magazine has a big spread on it. After 9/11 the US began waging war via the dollar and dollar payments, via SWIFT the main clearinghouse network for banks to “talk” to one another. Obama continued this. But Trump has amped this war up by a massive amount.

Russia is on a relentless path to throw off the shackles of the dollar. In 2010 over 85% of Russia’s FX was in US dollars. By end of this year it will be in the 58% range. This will accelerate if their MIR payment settlement exchange gains traction, or if the petroyuan becomes common. The EU is also trying to build out INSTEX as an alternative to SWIFT.

Obviously, this won’t change things overnight, but rather a 10 to 15 year path that once started down by these countries won’t be “undone” by the time 2025 rolls around. Besides, Trump is not the problem, he’s merely a symptom. Trump has been stymied and flummoxed because of his incompetence but the next, even worse, Republican is just around the corner. Most of us thought GW Bush couldn’t be made to look like a true statesman. The next Republican just might make Trump seem like a quaint, geezer, by the next election.

https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2019/12/17/w ... n-process/

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/27/russias ... emain.html

https://www.nationofchange.org/2020/01/ ... nomic-war/

Actually, I think this better describes how the world fell into chaos in WWI which basically was the foundation for WWII.

WWI is what happens when nations get jittery lying up awake at night worried about the border disputes and wondering whether or not allies/partners will show up and not back out at the 1st sight of trouble.
Plus a technological revolution was leading the way in anxieties about the stability of gov't... airplanes, telephones, etc would do the trick. Anything could happen from any direction.

A sort of revolution will take place if trump successfully dismantles US politics by blowing past all the rules and setting a new standard where rules do not apply.

Once on the bad players around the globe see the US on the ropes because of domestic chaos...that is the point to strike your enemy - everywhere and get away with it.

BN747

apodino

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
apodino wrote:
Things I like:

I don´t think Bush Senior, Clinton or Obama did anything to push the division actively, but it is nice to see that there are at least some conservatives realizing this is a real problem.

I am not a conservative and you are right that none of them actively pushed the division actively, but Obama was certainly complacent in not recognizing it and trying to win people to his side. Complacency and inaction in my opinion don't help the problem, and the only thing that makes it worse is the exact approach being taken by this administration.

Ken777

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:11 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Impact? Consumer confidence and business investments are driven by government policy. Of course who ever is in power influences the economy.

I might agree with you on some things, his personality is not the best and his antics neither but we are all enjoying better days, and thats what most people care.

The funny think is that Consumer confidence currently is still on the graph line from the Obama Administration. Business investments are a major disappointment, as most of the new cash from the Trump Tax Cut hs gone into the hands of the Executive Levels, buy backs of shares, etc.

Trump does influence the economy somewhat, but the largest influence has been at the Top 1% level.

Big question for me? How does a large tax cut for the rich in Trump's first year compare to the tax cuts for the rich in the first years of the Cheney Bush Administration? It took a few years before that house of cards fell apart, but the "Brilliant GOP Management of the Economy" nearly led to the Great Recession. The differences between then and now are (1) we're still in early days on the Trump side and (2) Bush looked both sides of the aisle when the Great Recession hit. Trump wouldn't do that - all he can do is blame everything on the Democrats.

You may be enjoying "better days" but a lot of Americans are experiencing just the opposite. A recent statistic focused on minimum wage and the comment was that 25% of working Americans are paid $12 an hour or less. Since even $15 an hour is still in the poverty level it's pretty clear that for a lot of folks these are not better days.

BN747

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:20 pm

I like seeing all these 'supporters' of his speak gushing about their financial preference for trump...now that he has made it clear he's coming for your Social Security, you guys have gotta love that!

Two birds with one stone, you get to have this Socialism program taken from you as well as Medicare.

You guys must be all in for that!
That's winning, right?

BN747

kaitak

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:34 pm

What I don't like:
1. The rot starts at the top; if you have a morally challenged individual without any concept of dignity, integrity or knowledge of the workings of government, that example spreads. People in his administration, at whatever level, can look at Trump and say "this whole personal integrity thing is a waste of time - look where this guy got without it".
2. His use of language, obvious lack of a refined vocabulary, his use of personal attack as a weapon - not consistent with the dignity of his office
3. His rolling back of protections for LGBT people, the environment and the general ease of access for corporations
4. One major piece of legislation - tax breaks, which only helped a small number of people (his highest donors among them)
5. The sickening way in which the "Religious Right cosies" up to him, led by his "Christian first" VP, Mike Pence - a more obsequious boot-licker it would be hard to find!
6. The continuing obscurity of his personal finances, business dealings and taxes. If he has nothing to hide, then end the conspiracy theories and doubt - publish them in full.
7. His foreign policy, which seems to be led by the interests of another country (Israel) rather than America's best interests. Pulling out of the Iran deal and the Climate accord has shown America as a country that cannot be trusted to abide by agreements into which it enters.
8. Following from No3 above, the administration is wilfully in "ostrich mode" as far as the environment is concerned, which will only store up problems for the next administration to deal with.
9. The lowering of the dignity of the office of President of the United States.

What I like:
1. We're on the home straight; only ten months of this nonsense to listen to (assuming the Dems pick someone electable.)

EstherLouise

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:21 am

His and his administration's dishonesty and dirty tricks offset a good economy. I'd rather have an administration that follows the rules over a good economy. The sanctity of the American Constitution and law must be maintained over all else.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

seb146

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:40 pm

The head of the Republican administration also uses a lot of name calling and bullying and the word "I" a lot, instead of "we" as many presidents before have.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

jetero

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:42 pm

EstherLouise wrote:
His and his administration's dishonesty and dirty tricks offset a good economy. I'd rather have an administration that follows the rules over a good economy. The sanctity of the American Constitution and law must be maintained over all else.

100%

“A good economy now” is only short-term thinking anyway