Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

Prince Harry exits British Airways B747 from back door at YVR - does this mean he flew Economy?!

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:18 pm

My heading is tongue and cheek, before people berate me.

He obviously exited the back of the aircraft so he was able to climb into his waiting car, rather than use the front door which would have been attached to the terminal building via the jet bridge.

But given he was likely flying in First, surely that means he would have had to walk down through Club, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller, which must have been quite a sight for the other passengers who wouldn't have known he was on the plane. Unless of course he waited until everyone got off...

But also, don't most jet bridges have steps down to the tarmac by the entrance to the aircraft?

Appreciate this isn't an overly important post...just curious.

Thanks.

readytotaxi

Re: Prince Harry exits British Airways B747 from back door at YVR - does this mean he flew Economy?!

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Wait till the aircraft is empty and then walk down the back, makes security a whole lot easier and stops people trying to get a selfie :lol:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

8herveg
Topic Author

Re: Prince Harry exits British Airways B747 from back door at YVR - does this mean he flew Economy?!

Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Wait till the aircraft is empty and then walk down the back, makes security a whole lot easier and stops people trying to get a selfie :lol:

Ha, true. Thanks for the quick reply. I also worked out he would have had a 2 hour transfer at YVR as the only WestJet flight after his BA85 landed (at 19:18) was WestJet 3185 which has an STD of 21:15. I wonder where he would have gone in that 2 hour period - hung out at a VIP area of the airport?

ikramerica

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:52 pm

I waited in back seat of the running car, probably. Very green if true...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

robt760

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm

No need to start a rumour mill...the Duke of Sessex

The Duke of Sussex boarded a WS flight to YYZ shortly after landing at YVR. Then on to his new residence and life in Victoria, according to new reports.

Clackers

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Any reason why he flew BA?

Air Canada has cheaper fares and is well known as a better performer on the route.

Even LHR-SIN-HKG on SQ and then HKG-YVR on CX would have been my preferred routing, although now he has to pay out of his own pocket, I doubt Harry would want this.

hiflyeras

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:00 pm

Maybe because AC service is not in the same league as BA? Harry is a multimillionaire...he can afford his own FC ticket to whereever he chooses to fly.

Kiwirob

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:04 pm

I’ve had a couple of flights where the Norwegian crown prince and family have been onboard, the plane normally stop about 20m from the airbridge, they open the front door and the family deplane down air stairs too waiting cars, the plane then moves forward to the bridge and the rest of us get off as normal.

Whiteguy

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Clackers wrote:

Air Canada has cheaper fares and is well known as a better performer on the route.

Even LHR-SIN-HKG on SQ and then HKG-YVR on CX would have been my preferred routing, although now he has to pay out of his own pocket, I doubt Harry would want this.

You really have to ask why he flew BA??? :lol:

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:09 pm

robt760 wrote:
No need to start a rumour mill...the Duke of Sessex

The Duke of Sussex boarded a WS flight to YYZ shortly after landing at YVR. Then on to his new residence and life in Victoria, according to new reports.

Not really sure I understand your message here - although I'm guessing this is a joke/rumour you're pretending to start?

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:12 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/20/prince-harry-leaves-uk-canada-desperate-see-wife-son-archie/

That article is wrong. He didn't fly via Montreal. He was on BA85 which is a non-stop flight from LHR to YVR.

skipness1E

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:24 pm

Clackers wrote:

Air Canada don't offer First, besides, he's going to need the Avios points once Liz cut's the funding.

WorldFlier

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:28 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Clackers wrote:

Air Canada don't offer First, besides, he's going to need the Avios points once Liz cut's the funding.

I'm sure Canada is going to give him some welfare...

Lots of welfare...

Kadish

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm

I saw him eating a sándwich made at home!
The poor lad couldnt afford to buy one on the plane.

cedarjet

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Clackers wrote:
Air Canada has cheaper fares and is well known as a better performer on the route

Air Canada aren’t in BA’s league, for one thing they don’t even have first class.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

airbazar

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:41 pm

He's in for a rude awakening at U.S. immigration when he comes to visit the in-laws as a regular shmoe :)

cedarjet wrote:
Clackers wrote:
Air Canada has cheaper fares and is well known as a better performer on the route

Air Canada aren’t in BA’s league, for one thing they don’t even have first class.

For a guy who has no job and just got cut off from his parent's allowance, maybe he should be flying FI.

2KINF

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 pm

Kadish wrote:
I saw him eating a sándwich made at home!
The poor lad couldnt afford to buy one on the plane.

Saw this happen for real once in LH first - pax across from me and one row up, owner of a major retail chain, declined service and unpacked their own sandwiches with roastbeef which they said was from their local bakery . Very politely told F/A that they didn't eat fancy food but they might have some cake later at coffee time.

TYWoolman

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
I’ve had a couple of flights where the Norwegian crown prince and family have been onboard, the plane normally stop about 20m from the airbridge, they open the front door and the family deplane down air stairs too waiting cars, the plane then moves forward to the bridge and the rest of us get off as normal.

..."the rest of us"....lol. What steerage!

71Zulu

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:52 pm

Clackers wrote:

You cannot be serious with this post! ROFL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NIKV69

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 pm

If he is a civilian now why is he going out the back door?
I am the Googlizer!!!

Qantas59

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:38 pm

So he flew on retro G-BNLY?
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png

CALMSP

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:17 pm

the CEO of WS is on Linkedin "honored and proud that the Sussexes both chose to travel on Canada's favorite airline"

jetwet1

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:26 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

If former presidents are civilians, why do they still have secret service details....Come on, think it through.

robsaw

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:19 pm

Prince Harry is still considered an "Internationally Protected Person" under policies of the RCMP and other police services - for now. However, if he is no longer travelling as an official extension of the "Crown", then the special status and legal protection provided for in the Criminal Code of Canada may no longer be applicable.

questions

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:52 pm

8herveg wrote:
But also, don't most jet bridges have steps down to the tarmac by the entrance to the aircraft?

This is a good question. Why did he exit via the back door?

ChrisKen

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Contrary to popular belief, it's quite likely he flew in the back (especially if not on official engagements).
It often happens, they slip on quietly into the back rows and depart the same way, often the other pax are none the wiser.

Ditto for other royals and governmemt members. Unlike the US security circus, the rest of the world finds discretion a vaulable tool.

Aesma

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03 pm

Personally I don't assume he flew in F or J necessarily.

And I'm not sure he's a multi-millionaire either. Well now that I think of it, he probably inherited from his mother (I checked, yes a few millions), nothing that wouldn't go in a flash though, for example paying back the expensive work that had been done to the "cottage" he was gonna live in. Then he was some kind of general in the marines so had an OK salary, unless he wasn't entitled to it. It's a bit difficult to understand what is his money and what is "The Crown"'s money, but it seems most anything is owned by "The Crown" and not individual royals. If you're down the succession line enough, then the opposite is probably true, you have your own finances, need to work to earn a living etc., and "The Crown" pays for when you do something official.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

If former presidents are civilians, why do they still have secret service details....Come on, think it through.

Good question, why don’t they just rejoin the public from whence they came?

GF

NIKV69

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:11 am

jetwet1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

In the USA former presidents and I believe their spouse get SS for life and kids till 18 or something along those lines. I am not sure what the UK does for Royal's that flee the family. What exactly is the procedure?
I am the Googlizer!!!

jetwet1

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:32 am

NIKV69 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

In the USA former presidents and I believe their spouse get SS for life and kids till 18 or something along those lines. I am not sure what the UK does for Royal's that flee the family. What exactly is the procedure?

Whether he is official or unofficial, he will have protection for the rest of his life, he, like former presidents, are targets to some sadly.

He is worth around $40m, and, this isn't the 1950's, there is no way the house of Windsor would allow Harry to get in a position where he has to become a short order cook.

Harry made it to Captain in the UK army.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:15 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Harry made it to Captain in the UK army.

As did Captain Mainwaring, and for that matter Captain Blackadder.
Hardly illustrious company, but very funny.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

speedbird52

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:40 pm

Clackers wrote:

The only people who would add ten hours to their trip to get a better in flight product are travel bloggers.

LCDFlight

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Exiting out the rear of the airplane is a "royal" move. Thought he was interested in a regular life? It will require dealing with regular people, at some point.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:03 pm

In order to keep out of the way of us 'ordinaries' celebrities do need special arrangements. They get mobbed by camera people, fans, and other gawkers, and the rest of us can be the casualties. I suspect they have to pay for any special arrangements.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Kiwirob

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:51 am

I've been on a few SK flights with the Norwegian Royal Family, they stop the plane a few meters before the jetbridge, open the doors and they deplane down stairs to a waiting car, doors close and the plane continues to the gate.