Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Do you like cold winters or hot summers?

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:59 pm

I have always preferred cold climates. I can't put my finger on why, but I just do. Some people say they love the cold, others hate the cold. But I have never met anyone who says they love the heat, it's such a strange thing to say. So I would guess most people prefer cold winters to hot summers and I would be included in that group.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

ParkFSI

Re: Do you like cold winters or hot summers?

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:33 pm

I’ve lived in central Texas all my life and do not like cold weather and preferred hot until I started getting older and now I don’t like ether : )
Thread killer

NIKV69

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:39 pm

I like San Diego's climate myself.
I am the Googlizer!!!

LabQuest

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:52 pm

I'd take hot summers over cold winters.

I find it much easier to deal with the heat than I do the cold. I might be sweaty and uncomfortable but at least I can be outside and do activities without risk of death in short order.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
But I have never met anyone who says they love the heat, it's such a strange thing to say.

Go speak with Hispanics. Odds are many of them will tell you they love the heat over the cold.

Give me winter over summer. You can always bundle up to keep warm without needing energy (except in an extreme condition obviously); even if you're nude, you're still gonna feel warm. If the air is humid, that's ever worse.

Oh, but that's what AC is for...yeah, AC is for buildings and closed areas at the expense of energy.

And being from the tropics, saying that I prefer the cold is saying a lot since many fellow Puerto Ricans hate living in the US because of the cold winters.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

johns624

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:46 pm

LabQuest wrote:

I find it much easier to deal with the heat than I do the cold. I might be sweaty and uncomfortable but at least I can be outside and do activities without risk of death in short order.

You're more apt to die of heatstroke than hypothermia. I remember years ago reading an interview with a member of the British SAS. They asked him which he preferred and he said winter because in winter you can always get warm while in summer there's no way to get cool. If you have the right clothes, you can be perfectly warm down to -0*. You don't sweat in the winter. It's the perfect time for hiking and other strenuous outdoor activities.

Dutchy

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 pm

Neither actually. I prefer 20-25degrees and sun........
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

stl07

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:39 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Yep, a nice cool, yet still warm envirnment just like San diego/ baja california is what I love
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

LabQuest

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:32 am

johns624 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

You're more apt to die of heatstroke than hypothermia. I remember years ago reading an interview with a member of the British SAS. They asked him which he preferred and he said winter because in winter you can always get warm while in summer there's no way to get cool. If you have the right clothes, you can be perfectly warm down to -0*. You don't sweat in the winter. It's the perfect time for hiking and other strenuous outdoor activities.

In the desert for sure. I was talking more like your average summer heat in Alabama or California. Hot but not deadly. Even in Kentucky or Oregon you could face some seriously life threatening hypothermia even in their mild winters.

Plus being in a hot climate opens up so much more activities! And with that comes pretty girls (or guys) in bikinis.

Dieuwer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:49 am

I think it matters more what the humidity is doing, then whether it is hot or cold.
A dry 30°C feels great, but add 90% humidity and you feel miserable.

dragon-wings

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:53 am

LabQuest wrote:

I am the exact opposite of this.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Jouhou

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 am

I hate the heat more than the cold, but I have Raynaud's so the cold is worse for me physically. But it's really only the Raynaud's attacks that make the cold particularly unpleasant for me. When I was a little kid, being cold didn't phase me. Heat makes me sweaty and gross and my body is poorly adapted to it. I've also had issues with water intoxication during the summer. I don't consume enough salt but drink way too much water.
情報

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:41 am

my brother lives in Alaska where it gets 30 below Totally different cold, and unbearable. Growing up we lived in Wyoming where it's windy and cold, not a good combination but it would be like 8 below, it's the wind that makes it miserable.

now that I get to choose where I live, I picked one season terrain. I love the sun, though heat is not good for you, I tolerate it better than the cold. I still go snow-skiing, I just try not to fall and get snow down my pants. People who do the Polar Bear Plunge, I totally don't get. They were doing that at Christmas on dares, If I did that, I know I would die.

T18

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:44 am

I prefer the cold for one simple reason. If a place is too cold one can always add layers, blankets and add more heat. If a place is too hot there are only so many layers you can remove and A/C can only remove so much heat from a room. Also its much easier for me anyway to sleep in a cold room than a hot one.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Cadet985

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Cold winters. No matter how cold it gets, you can always put on more clothes. If it’s too hot, there’s only so much you can take off before someone calls the police.

Marc

mbmbos

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:29 pm

I prefer cold winters. Swampy summers do me in.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

DL717

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 pm

Cold winters. You can always put more on.
Last edited by DL717 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

blueflyer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Dry cold winter over hot and dry summer, but I handle both almost the same. Humid weather I hate, cold or hot.

FatCat

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:12 pm

we may be some of the last people remembering what "cold winter" means
right now, 3 pm, sunny, it's +13°C and it's late Jan
I do remember as a child icy lakes, rivers; snow, temperatures always around -5°C to -12°C...
anyway I do prefer warm summer, because you can stay out in the garden and have some cold beers :-)
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

nwadeicer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Cold, every day of the week. I had to spend roughly 2 months in ATL a few years ago in July and August. Worst time of my life, it wasn't the heat so much as the humidity, just brutal. And according to the people there, it's that way from May to October. How one can stand being hot, sweaty, sticky the minute you step outside
I miss the Red Tail

VSMUT

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Do you like cold winters or hot summers?

Yes.

It is all the stuff in between I dislike. Give me a proper cold winter with frost and snow, or proper warm, sunny summer. Preferably 75% of the latter and 25% of the former.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:03 pm

stl07 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Yep, a nice cool, yet still warm envirnment just like San diego/ baja california is what I love

This. Just inland from the coast in California generally can’t be beat. 15-24 degrees at the beach, depending on whether there’s fog, 22-30 degrees just inland, 30+ degrees further inland, always with light breezes and cool nights.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:53 pm

The point of my life im in now has dry, cold winters. And i love it!

But after growing up in Texas, a humid hot summer takes me back to my childhood.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

WildcatYXU

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:38 am

Hot summers all the way. As I'm getting older, I hate winter more and more...
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

VapourTrails

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 am

sonicruiser wrote:
I have always preferred cold climates. I can't put my finger on why, but I just do. Some people say they love the cold, others hate the cold. But I have never met anyone who says they love the heat, it's such a strange thing to say. So I would guess most people prefer cold winters to hot summers and I would be included in that group.

I don’t mind either, but I am a cold climate person. I can sleep better, and think clearer. As I get older the cold is getting harder though, on muscles and joints and general physical well-being. Mentally, the heat can be tougher, although where I am the heat is dry, which I much prefer. Humidity is the worst thing for me, and the rashes. Heat is the better for the condition of a house as a dwelling. Dampness is not! Where I am in Australia we get from -9°C to 42°C or 15°F to 107°F - so everything from the home design to clothing needs to be adaptable to a distinctive four season cycle.

Only lived in one other seasonal climate, and that was cold but much wetter, like the British Isles. Again, the dampness is a shocker, but from living in a more alpine environment now, the dryness on the skin is an ever increasing problem - it’s that getting older issue again.

Summer is great for getting around in next to nothing - it’s healthy without having all those layers on. It will be over 40°C here this weekend. As long as you’ve got your home and car air con and your building insulation, and drinks lots of water and don’t spend too long outside - easier if you don’t have to work in it, I value the time. At least with the bushfire smoke we are getting some UV protection, hey there is an upside to everything if you look for it.

Give me sub-tropical Queensland in winter for a break, and I can survive the coldest parts of Australia - we are fortunate we can travel domestically and have that variation to break up the monotony. Canberra winters are more often very crisp and sunny but can get a bit blah by the end of August. Too little light in winter is a psychological issue.

AirPacific747

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:27 am

10-25c and sun is my ideal interval. Also I prefer dry air over humid.

Braybuddy

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 am

Not into extremes so I'd have to say I don't prefer either. I've been to countries where the summer is a killer, and others where the winter is lovely to look at, but horrible to live in. I thank my lucky stars that I live in a temperate climate (and for the Gulf Stream :smile:). Sometimes I feel the winters could be a bit shorter, but once you get into the new year that feeling quickly disappears. My ideal climate would probably be the northern Med, though if I was actually living there for any length of time I have a feeling I just might get fed up with it.

luckyone

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:09 pm

I’ve lived in both extremes of hot and cold.

I grew up in Georgia with its beastly heat and stifling humidity. Life took me northward to the Great Lakes for many years with its frigid winters. Give me the winter over the summer. As others have said, getting warm is much easier (and cheaper) than getting cool. And unlike up north where I can take a coat with me, I can’t take a personal air conditioned suit outside when it’s in the 90s F and 90% humidity—so in other words July and August. The worst of the Georgia summer can start in May and last until October, which is longer that Chicago would typically see single and negative temperatures—most of the winter in Chicago lingers in the 20s-40s.

In my experience, for all the talk about how you can go outside when it’s warm, between the bugs and the humidity most people spent very little time outside in the South.

M564038

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:10 pm

Hate winter. Hate cold weather.

It is a pity all the best functioning, most advanced and safest countries have really cold winters! If there was only -1- great country with a bareable climate, I would move there in a heartbeat!

Of course, living a place where climate makes day to day life easy for the majority, puts less initiative behind making the country as a whole functioning.
In really cold climates, your society needs to function properly just to keep everyone safe!

stl07

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:35 pm

M564038 wrote:

It is a pity all the best functioning, most advanced and safest countries have really cold winters! If there was only -1- great country with a bareable climate, I would move there in a heartbeat!

Of course, living a place where climate makes day to day life easy for the majority, puts less initiative behind making the country as a whole functioning.
In really cold climates, your society needs to function properly just to keep everyone safe!

If you are willing to make an exception and expand your definition to just developed and safe countries, then, of course, you have Miami, San Juan, San Diego in the US along with Singapore in Asia as well as countries along the meditation. Even Chile has some great areas.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

mrgrtt123

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:48 pm

I love summer, I tend to get sick during the cold season.

stl07

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:26 am

stl07 wrote:
M564038 wrote:

If you are willing to make an exception and expand your definition to just developed and safe countries, then, of course, you have Miami, San Juan, San Diego in the US along with Singapore in Asia as well as countries along the meditation. Even Chile has some great areas.

MEDITERRANEAN not meditation

rfields5421

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:41 am

In March 2014 the DW and I sold the house and moved full-time into a travel trailer. Since then we've tried to keep away from hot summers and cold winters.

Not always successful, a few funerals and family illnesses, along with a couple weddings have forced us to spend much of two summers in the Dallas area, and part of one very cold winter.

We've also had lovely warm winters in Florida and the Rio Grande Valley of the tip of Texas, southern California. Along with some nice summers in New England, the Great Lake and the Washington/ Oregon coasts.
Not all who wander are lost.

Kent350787

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:01 am

I enjoy an occasional holiday in a cold climate. We just spent Christmas in Boston and New Years near Daytona Beach - the latter felt more "normal" for mid-winter, and is ultimately my preference.

In my part of Sydney Australia today it is around 34c, and tomorrow forecast for 38c - too hot!
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

csturdiv

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:22 am

I've lived in Chicago, cold winter, and I'm living in Sydney, hot summer.

Give me the "cold" Sydney winter all year long.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

B777LRF

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 am

Well, colour me odd but I like my winters cold and my summers warm. Would never entertain the idea of going somewhere hot in the winter; that's the time for going to the mountains for a spot of skiing. Likewise, I'd never venture to somewhere cold in the summer; that's the time for getting a tan on a nice beach.
Signature. You just read one.

invertalon

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:35 am

That's why Cleveland is awesome. Can go from swampy, hot and humid to snow and everything in between in the course of a few days!

On a serious note, I would take cold over hot. Being super hot and sticky is just as bad as frigid cold and snowy, but overall I like it cooler so that wins for me.

Jalap

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:54 pm

Above all, I want seasons.
One or two good cold periods in the winter, one or two heat waves in the summer.

Then, to choose between a long cold dip, or a long heat wave, I’ll always prefer the long cold dip. No problems with a freezing month, but a few +20°c nights in a row in the summer can get me very annoyed. Hot days I don’t mind, it’s the nights I hate.

CitizenJustin

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:06 pm

I prefer the cold. I can’t stand heat and it actually makes me sick. My migraines become more active and there’s just no benefit to summer in my opinion. Bugs everywhere, hellish barbecues with flies and mosquitoes. The list goes on, but I won’t bore you. I much prefer a nice cold, cloudy day to relax and snuggle with a good book or movie. Plus winter clothing is so much cuter. Anyone want to adopt a lonely boy from the Midwest and take me to Seattle or wherever it doesn’t get up to 110F every summer? If you can boil an egg on the pavement, there’s a problem.