Tugger
Topic Author

Video Games - Do you play? Which ones?

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 pm

To those that enjoy video gaming I wanted to ask some what's and why's:

What are your favorite video games and what you enjoy most playing?
What is/was your favorite all time game? Why?
Are there old games you go back to and play again and again?
What types of games do you really not like playing?
And finally, what system do you prefer?

I am curious to learn from those in the know who enjoy this stuff.

I must admit I don't play much nowadays. I love the graphics but I was never quick enough it seemed nor wanted to figure out super-button-combos etc. to do things in games. :old: If there are ones that one can more explore than fight and battle (simple fights I can deal with though) I'd love to here about them.

Thanks,
Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

seb146

Re: Video Games - Do you play? Which ones?

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:26 pm

I don't like the "kill 'em all" type games. I usually play the cutesie ones. I have GameCube, Super Nintendo and NES, so I play the Mario games and sometimes Sonic. My mom has a Wii. When I visit her, I play the Mario game where he goes to the different planets and she has another game where a group of black and white military blobs have stolen all the colors so you have to roll thorough this city and color everything and defeat the black and white blobs.

I enjoy playing because I have to either remember which order to push the buttons and do it quickly or I have to figure out which combination of buttons, swing, and stick to do.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

airforceone

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:05 pm

PC: F1 Racing, Rfactor, Digital Combat Simulation, FSX, Command and Conquer series,
Xbox: Far Cry 3, 4 and 5, Left for Dead, Flat out 2
Playstation: God of War

I utilize PC mostly but sometimes its a nice changeover to other platforms. Old games I always come back to is the Command and Conquer series. Red Alert 2 is my ultimate favourite. Real time strategy game about war. I really enjoyed the Far Cry series so I play them as well. It is a "kill em all" type game. Same with Left For Dead. Its good game with simple controls and tasks. Good stress reliever after hard day. I really enjoyed God Of War. It was back and forth between the panic of killing an all powerful boss and numerous enemies then slowing down and figuring out the riddles and puzzles to proceed through the level. I liked that change of pace. Oddly enough trying Assassins Creed I couldn`t really get into. Same with Skyrim, No Man`s Sky and Dark Souls. Also the superhero games, Batman, Spiderman never really grasped my attention.

My main game right now is F1. Car racing is my other passion outside aviation. I remember at my old job we had a GameCube setup in the break room and we had Mario Double Dash tournaments. After winning every race in the first 3 tournaments I wasn`t allowed to play anymore.

I also have some old games for the original Xbox, which if I can ever get my hands on one would love to play again. Juiced, Olympic games, Flat Out 2, NHL, NFL, Tennis, FIFA, the original Call of Duty series.

apodino

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Big Legend of Zelda fan right here. I have played just about every single Legend of Zelda title out there, and I am eagerly awaiting the Breath of the Wild sequel. The Wife loves Final Fantasy and I have bought her titles for Christmas. I am also an avid Flight Simmer and I like Train Sim as well.

petertenthije

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:35 pm

I don’t have a console. I mostly play world of tanks and world of warships on the iPad. The recent release of Call of Duty is also quite good, once you get used to the controls.

I don’t play on the PC often, but when I do it’s usually Helibourne or GTA5.

My favourite games ever are Call of Duty MW2 (before hacking became common), the GTA series, the Civilization series and the Command & Conquer series.
Attamottamotta!

Tugger
Topic Author

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 pm

apodino wrote:
Big Legend of Zelda fan right here. I have played just about every single Legend of Zelda title out there, and I am eagerly awaiting the Breath of the Wild sequel. The Wife loves Final Fantasy and I have bought her titles for Christmas. I am also an avid Flight Simmer and I like Train Sim as well.

The new Zelda intrigued me, but what would get me I think is if the bring out a new Star Tropics. Many don't remember that old SNES game but it was one I remember really enjoying playing.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

casinterest

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:05 pm

Minesweeper
Solitaire
Where ever you go, there you are.

cjg225

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:30 am

Ooof. We could be here a long time if I really, REALLY answer this thread. I'm going to try to keep this to just very basic answers so I don't get carried away:

1) What are your favorite video games - I assume you mean genre, so I'll go ahead and say it's a tie between First Person Shooters (specifically, military-themed ones with a basis in reality rather than futuristic/sci-fi ones) and Japanese Role Playing Games

2) What is/was your favorite all time game? Why? Lunar 2 - Eternal Blue. Phenomenal Japanese RPG. Great story, great characters, pretty difficult... Still my all-time favorite after all these years.

3) Are there old games you go back to and play again and again? Yes. A handful I've played many times over include Half-Life 2, G-Police 2: Weapons of Justice, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor: Frontline, and Valkyria Chronicles.

4) What types of games do you really not like playing? - I suck at fighting games... like, terribly so. Unfortunately, that pretty much meant I never really played against other kids growing up because I just had no ability or interest in those games, which are perfect for playing with someone else.

5) And finally, what system do you prefer? - Well, I am going to treat "system" as equivalent to "console for this." I am a total SONY whore, so it has to be any Playstation system. Currently using a white PS4. Still pissed I bought my PS4 a week before they announced the limited-edition PS4 that looked like a PSX. Would've bought that...

BUT.... at the end of the day, I am a member of the PC Gaming Master Race, so that reigns supreme for my gaming.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

northstardc4m

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:52 am

Most played for me over the last 3ish years:
On PC:

Civilization V and VI
Fallout 4
Transport Fever 1 & 2
Cities Skylines
Kerbal Space Program
Fallout New Vegas

And of course FSX, FS9 and Xplane 11...

On my phone:

Auralux
Auralux 2
Theotown
Pinball deluxe
Fallout shelter
Mini metro
Plague inc.

On RetroPI:

Aerobiz (SNES)
Aerobiz Supersonic (SNES)
Afterburner (arcade)
Spyhunter (NES)

Really really wish someone could get an N64 emulator working with GoldenEye reliably on RetroPI though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:54 am

In the near future it will be the new MSFS when it is released this year. (Unless I need to invest in a supercomputer to use it)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. That pain is felt by others... the same thing happens when you're stupid.

cjg225

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:16 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
In the near future it will be the new MSFS when it is released this year. (Unless I need to invest in a supercomputer to use it)

But can it play Crysis? :rotfl:

DeltaMD90

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:52 pm

Video games are nostalgic for me, I played some games growing up and I only play those, nothing new.

I play Medieval 2 Total War and mods way too much

Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour with a friend

OpenRA (the old Command and Conquer games but modernized to play again but lately unchanged)

Sometimes Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (OpenRCT2, again, modernized engine)

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and Banjo Kazooie I'll play through every couple of years

BlueberryWheats

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:28 pm

cjg225 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

But can it play Crysis? :rotfl:

I'm not entirely sure what Crysis is :duck:
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. That pain is felt by others... the same thing happens when you're stupid.

Classa64

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:57 pm

What are your favorite video games and what you enjoy most playing?
I am a big FPS style gamer and mostly into the COD series starting with COD 2 and Battlefield 3-4 franchise. I have some history in the gaming world and it all started with Call Of Duty. I think thats why its my favorite to play as its so familiar.

What is/was your favorite all time game? Why?
Has to be Call of Duty 2, its the first computer game I could play well and it was simple and back then had great graphics.

Are there old games you go back to and play again and again?
All the COD series, I play single player campaigns on all the levels of difficulty, most I have completed on Hardened.

What types of games do you really not like playing?
Anything that's 3rd person, all though I have completed Fallout 3 in 3rd person and Sniper Elite V2 and Afrika. I just prefer FPS.

And finally, what system do you prefer?
What ever works with what I can play and afford. I have a 360 and an Xbox One, PS3 and an older Alienware laptop.
Xbox360- COD series and Battlefield Series. GTA
Xbox One- The new Modern warfare,Forza Horizon
Laptop- COD series, wont do MW though not powerful enough. Fs9, Fsx, Train Sim 2020, Kerbal space program
PS3- I did use it for Gran Turismo but now its just a Blu-ray player

Back in 2006 I got a descent PC and hopped into a COD 2 Multiplayer session, brand new to me. Met some people and became online friends. We started a COD gaming clan called Project [email protected], Had a website and ran 8 servers playing COD 2, COD 4 MW, COD5 WAW and had a mix of Death match and sniper servers. We did scrims with other clans etc. One of our players was modder and on the team that brought everyone the eXtreme mods in COD games. Our group was small, about 60 people and after about 5 years we started spreading out and not playing as much so we slowly shut it all down. I still game a lot with them and have met some. Flew to California and met one and her family, Have driven to Winnipeg to have a BBQ weekends with 4 that played from that area. Drove to Ohio to meet about 6 in that area that were a big part of our group. It was a great time being a part of all that and with lasting friendships because of it.

What is great now with the new Modern Warfare is the cross platform as well as KBM support. I can't do the controllers, I tried I just cant. With the 360 I had a Xim to emulate the controller so I could use a KBM, worked great.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

cjg225

Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:21 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what Crysis is :duck:

haha PC gamer joke.

You commented about whether you'd need to upgrade your computer to play the new MSFS. For many years, amongst PC gamers, there's been a joke, "But can it play Crysis?" whenever the topic of computer hardware comes up. It calls back to a game series called Crysis, which was quite revolutionary on the graphics front... and with it came insane hardware requirements to run at the highest levels.

Know Your Meme: But can it run Crysis?

csturdiv

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:16 pm

I'm a laptop gamer (not online though) and have been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 lately. An off and on game has been Inside. I still play Age of Empires 3, the Arkham series of Batman games and I mess around with Prepar3D a bit. I do not fly, I like setting up the realistic AI and watch it move around the FlyTampa Sydney Airport.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

AirPacific747

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:26 pm

I just sold my PS4 and bought an Xbox One X, the first Xbox I’ve owned.
I bought it for the improved graphics as I’m not into the exclusive titles on PS much except for uncharted which I already completed.

Also, they say FS2020 is coming out to Xbox one so that will be a relatively cheap way to try it.

Ideally I would like to have a proper gaming pc but it’s going to be costly and I also don’t have the space for it at the moment.

I would love to play several classics such as Command & conquer as already previously mentioned, and Age of Empires remastered, the ANNO series is also one of my favorites as it’s more about trading and less about war.

I tried Halo for the first time since I now have an Xbox but I just don’t see what the fuss was about. I find the games quite boring and uninteresting.

cjg225

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:28 am

Anyone still playing Battlefield 4? Last weekend I reinstalled it and played it for the first time in nearly five and a half years. Still got it goin' on with vehicles (particularly the mobile AA), but a bit rusty as infantry yet. Had some unusually bad matches in Operation Locker, a map I usually do quite well in.

Most servers left only do Conquest, which is unfortunate. I like some Rush sprinkled in.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:15 am

Right now I'm playing American Truck Simulator, which is like Euro Truck Simulator 2, only in America.

Also on my PC - FSX (finally after 10 years of using Bootcamp to play it on my old iMac, I have a Windows PC with a good graphic card that allows me to max the textures!), F1 2018 (although sadly my steering wheel broke and the Thrustmaster replacement I bought is shit), & The Sims 4.

I would love to play FPS games like Battlefield, but I find myself getting severe motion sickness after a few minutes of playing.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Aaron747

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:19 am

Not really but I’ll definitely be putting time into FS2020.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

csturdiv

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:41 am

cjg225 wrote:
Anyone still playing Battlefield 4? Last weekend I reinstalled it and played it for the first time in nearly five and a half years. Still got it goin' on with vehicles (particularly the mobile AA), but a bit rusty as infantry yet. Had some unusually bad matches in Operation Locker, a map I usually do quite well in.

Most servers left only do Conquest, which is unfortunate. I like some Rush sprinkled in.

I remember the good old days of Battlefield 2 with my friends. We would get in the same squad and work together, one a medic, one a support/supply role and an engineer to repair our vehicles, rest were combat or spec-ops. We got pretty good together and took a lot of flags. I installed BF2 a while back, no online support so just single player, but with some enhanced AI mods, it was still fun to play.

cjg225

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:21 pm

csturdiv wrote:
I remember the good old days of Battlefield 2 with my friends. We would get in the same squad and work together, one a medic, one a support/supply role and an engineer to repair our vehicles, rest were combat or spec-ops. We got pretty good together and took a lot of flags. I installed BF2 a while back, no online support so just single player, but with some enhanced AI mods, it was still fun to play.

BF2 was good times. My computer struggled to run it because of an issue with my video cards, but when I could, it was fun. I especially liked Commander Mode. BF4's Commander Mode just wasn't the same. I loved destroying the enemy's artillery to deprive the commander of that ability.

slider

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:22 pm

Not a big gamer, just not enough time and too much real life obligation, but it's a nice distraction sometimes.

Red Dead Redemption 2 may be the best game I've ever played; certainly the most gorgeous visually, and the character development is amazing. Haven't played any real contemporary games other than that in the past couple years.

Back in the day, I was huge into Medal of Honor (Allied Assault) on PC, and had an online clan. So much fun and I wish that same almost identical game could be remastered and upgraded today. Wish I had that kind of slack time now, haha

DeltaMD90

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:36 pm

csturdiv wrote:
cjg225 wrote:

BF2 comp stomps where the best. Me and the bros vs all the bots. I'd mod some maps to have like 100 AI tanks and make the A10's gun destroy them in a hit or two... So satisfying. Or I'd make the AI spawnpoint in the air so they'd paradrop in all over the map like Red Dawn and we'd get destroyed.

Good times :)

cjg225

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:46 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
BF2 comp stomps where the best. Me and the bros vs all the bots. I'd mod some maps to have like 100 AI tanks and make the A10's gun destroy them in a hit or two... So satisfying. Or I'd make the AI spawnpoint in the air so they'd paradrop in all over the map like Red Dawn and we'd get destroyed.

In all my hours playing BF2, BF3, and BF4, I maybe have like 5 minutes total as a pilot. I suck badly.

I'm a total vehicle wh0re, though. Mostly MBTs and the Air Defense units, but some IFVs, too. Definitely better in vehicles than I am on foot (I average close to 3.0 k/d in vehicles and maybe like 1.6 k/d on foot).

DeltaMD90

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:57 pm

cjg225 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

In all my hours playing BF2, BF3, and BF4, I maybe have like 5 minutes total as a pilot. I suck badly.

I'm a total vehicle wh0re, though. Mostly MBTs and the Air Defense units, but some IFVs, too. Definitely better in vehicles than I am on foot (I average close to 3.0 k/d in vehicles and maybe like 1.6 k/d on foot).

Oh don't get me wrong, I sucked too. We'd often mod out the AA units. It was more of a turkey shoot, just some fun. Now helos on the other hand, we'd be great using the minigun in the Blackhawk or having 2 of us in the Cobra or the other attack helicopters. Good times...

csturdiv

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 am

The BF2 servers that were 32 vs 32 and the only rule was pistols or knives only were so much fun. My few rare kills as a medic with the shock paddles and the taunting " Oh you just got paddled" afterwards wad great.