WildcatYXU

Re: JetBlue CEO Warns Flight Shaming Is Coming to the U.S

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:05 pm

CHRISBA35X wrote:

Spot on.

I'd argue that the damage has already been done with Skype and other online meeting tools now meaning that people generally - to some extent at least - don't have to fly for business any more and those choosing to (I'm one of them) will reduce in number over the next 20 years to the point where business travel will be a curio and nothing more.

Flight shaming will only make this process faster.

Bear in mind its not as if we as a business community are facing a lot of pushback from our companies in terms of pushing us to fly more for business and us execs are trying to reduce it etc. The opposite is true. I work/have worked for energy/oil companies who are allergic to spending money. People in my industry used to fly a lot and in premium classes. Now the premium class travel has gone even for long haul and the economy flight budgets are being pushed back and back as its cheaper to send an email and hold a VC. We used to go to all the seminars and conferences, not any more. Flight shaming and the environment has been a useful excuse for many employers to cut budgets back massively. Its low hanging fruit when your shareholders only care about your bottom line profitability as you can make excuses about revenue growth or lack of it.

Its clever in a way as my company will fly me AMS-IAH or AMS-SIN or AMS-PVG only after I get several signoffs from management, complete endless forms and declarations etc all designed to push me toward the video conference route. And if I get the green light I'll only be able to fly cheapest economy and only then if I fly on my weekend and not during company time. I cant even go non-stop very often - if its cheaper to go one-stop then that's what they'll book. If I want a flex ticket, checked bags etc I have to pay for it.

I wouldn't fly AMS-IAH/PVG/SIN etc in economy if I was doing it for personal reasons but I have to if I'm doing it for a multi billion dollar energy company. Its a long flight and its a waste of my weekend so I cant be bothered. VC all the way now, its not worth the effort and dramas to try to fly. Of course that's why it is how it is - to stop you from asking and push you toward the VC.

The environment is just an excuse!

Well, there always will be a lot of us who actually have to go to the customer to do hands-on work. And to get to the customer will often require flying. But hey, if the flight "shamers" are willing to pay for my time while I'm traveling across Canada by train, I'm willing to do it.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

L410Turbolet

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:05 pm

olle wrote:
Me and my family go frequent from our home in stockholm region to Alicante spain.

As suggested earlier, there should be a commission made up of ideologically sound commissars to whom you will submit your travel plan. They will evalue your request and decide if you deserve to travel for the second time to Spain this year.

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:02 pm

T18 wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
But in my yard today, the pick of the bunch is 12 years old, cost me $800 and goes like a rocket whilst delivering 67 mpg,
(to be fair you wouldn't like it because the aircon is u/s, and at this precise moment it needs another $500 spent on it to tighten up the brakes, replace a broken headlight, and a few service items, but I reckon it's worth keeping it running a while longer)
67 mpg? That must be some other gallon than the US kind as 67 mpg would be beyond a brand new hybrid stateside.

My bad - I buy my fuel in liters, and rather carelessly converted to the old UK Imperial gallon. Sorry.

In US Gallons it is only 55.8 mpg, and in fact this past week it has suffered due to heavier traffic plus carrying 240kg (530 lb) of concrete slabs for some distance, which has further reduced the latest figures to only 52 mpg. I cannot really complain about the excess weight as those concrete slabs are only the same as transporting three passengers (or possibly two well-upholstered Americans)

So let's revise it down to just 52 mpg.
Once again, my apologies.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

flyguy89

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:23 am

This bs is exactly why I can't take some of these environmentalists seriously...they fret and put all their outrage and attention on minute crap like plastic straws and air travel (2.5% of CO2 emissions when I last checked), things that really are zero impact in the long-run, when we really need to be focusing on high-impact areas like developing zero-emission mass power generation to get the world's electrical grids off fossil fuels and zero-emissions substitutes for combustion vehicles.

flyguy89

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:25 am

This bs is exactly why I can't take some of these environmentalists seriously...they fret and put all their outrage and attention on minute crap like plastic straws and air travel (2.5% of CO2 emissions when I last checked), things that really are zero impact in the long-run, when we really need to be focusing on high-impact areas like developing zero-emission mass power generation to get the world's electrical grids off fossil fuels and zero-emissions substitutes for combustion vehicles.

TSS

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:12 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
olle wrote:
Me and my family go frequent from our home in stockholm region to Alicante spain.

As suggested earlier, there should be a commission made up of ideologically sound commissars to whom you will submit your travel plan. They will evalue your request and decide if you deserve to travel for the second time to Spain this year.

What you suggest is possibly the best recipe for a corrupt bureaucracy I've ever read. Grease the right palms and your flight request zooms through on time every time, don't grease any palms and your request is either flatly denied or "lost"/"under review" until well past your planned travel date as a warning for the next time.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

T18

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:23 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
T18 wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
But in my yard today, the pick of the bunch is 12 years old, cost me $800 and goes like a rocket whilst delivering 67 mpg,
(to be fair you wouldn't like it because the aircon is u/s, and at this precise moment it needs another $500 spent on it to tighten up the brakes, replace a broken headlight, and a few service items, but I reckon it's worth keeping it running a while longer)
67 mpg? That must be some other gallon than the US kind as 67 mpg would be beyond a brand new hybrid stateside.

My bad - I buy my fuel in liters, and rather carelessly converted to the old UK Imperial gallon. Sorry.

In US Gallons it is only 55.8 mpg, and in fact this past week it has suffered due to heavier traffic plus carrying 240kg (530 lb) of concrete slabs for some distance, which has further reduced the latest figures to only 52 mpg. I cannot really complain about the excess weight as those concrete slabs are only the same as transporting three passengers (or possibly two well-upholstered Americans)

So let's revise it down to just 52 mpg.
Once again, my apologies.

That is still really good, I got to know what model that is as I would love to buy something that good. (I bet they don't sell it here sadly).
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

noviorbis77

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 pm

No one will shame me out of air travel.

They can try, and I’ll just laugh in their face

noviorbis77

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:40 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
olle wrote:

Is this a joke?

MIflyer12

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 am

Here's a piece from the LA Times, dated today, where the JetBlue CEO is quoted again. Other citations:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... /41212903/

“Today’s environmentally focused 22-year-old is tomorrow’s 35-year-old frequent business traveler,” said Henry Harteveldt, a travel industry analyst with the Atmosphere Research Group. “The industry wants to make sure everyone, regardless of age, knows what they are doing.”

Emissions of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide from all commercial flights, including cargo and passenger planes, represented 2.4% of all global CO2 emissions in 2018 — a 32% increase over five years earlier, according to a study by the International Council on Clean Transportation.

And, in a vague statement of nothingness:

“We recognize that air travel has impacts on the environment, and we’re committed to proactively minimizing those impacts in a number of ways,” American Airlines spokesman Curtis Blessing said.