ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Doomsday Clock Closest Ever to Midnight

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 am

The Doomsday Clock has reached it's closest point ever to midnight (nuclear war) at 100 seconds from midnight. It is closer than even at any point at the height of the Cold War between the United States and Soviet Union. Events that brought the clock so close to midnight include the United States withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement and withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal. Recent tensions between the United States and Iran also brought the Doomsday Clock to 100 seconds. The farthest the Doomsday Clock has been from midnight was 17 minutes in 1991. It is a very dangerous situation that we are living in and hopefully Trump will get convicted in the Senate trial because of this.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html

Aaron747

Re: Doomsday Clock Closest Ever to Midnight

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:14 am

Sorry but the Senate trial is not about this - nobody will go to MAD war over Ukraine. And the Doomsday clock timing is highly dubious in its formulation - I would argue thirteen unfortunate days in 1962 were the closest to midnight the clock has been.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

A101

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:10 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Sorry but the Senate trial is not about this - nobody will go to MAD war over Ukraine. And the Doomsday clock timing is highly dubious in its formulation - I would argue thirteen unfortunate days in 1962 were the closest to midnight the clock has been.

Yep could not agree more, the Cuban Missile crisis don’t think we have ever been as close as that, but there was other events such as Able Archer 83 that put the Soviets on high alert, also the 1979 NORAD Computer Glitch when somebody accidentally run a training program simulating a Soviet attack on the United States

To put climate as part of the doomsday clock is a bunch of croc

Dutchy

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:37 am

A101 wrote:

No it isn't. Your point of view about Climate change is known, but that is a bunch of croc as you ever so eloquently have put it. If humankind fails to address it, climate change will lead to higher average temperatures and more and more extreme weather. Climate change is the most important issue of your lifetime and you are on record that you do not believe it can be addressed, so you do not believe in the severity of it. As a boomer, you will not experience the real effects yourself, your generation is just responsible for not addressing it. Your generations had the opportunity to pollute the earth and your grandchildren will see the effects. You, yourself, are on record that you do not want to do anything about it. So that behavior is anti-social. But that is a pattern with you, cause something and then run away.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:48 am

Dutchy wrote:
A101 wrote:

No it isn't. Your point of view about Climate change is known, but that is a bunch of croc as you ever so eloquently have put it. If humankind fails to address it, climate change will lead to higher average temperatures and more and more extreme weather..

That is the best case scenario. It can literally mean hundreds of million dead, of starvation, in the worst case. Not "made up" worst case, this "can happen" worst case.
The worlds bread baskets are currently close to or at temperatures for optimum yield. Beyond that you lose 10-15% yield per °C. That more extreme weather also increases the chance of having crop failure at more than one major production area. A really bad weather year *now* for farming could leave us with just half the average crop yield.
Wet-bulb temperatures in some areas are approaching criticality, and will become uninhabitable without air conditioning, at 35°C you can die of heat stroke in your sleep doing nothing....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

VSMUT

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:51 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Probably more related to what's going on in the Middle East and Iran and the virus outbreak in China, rather than domestic US issues.

DeltaMD90

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:46 pm

I believe climate change is happening and humans have a huge role in it...

...but including it in the Doomsday Clock is foolish, IMO, and only makes us look like crazy people that believe the oceans are going to engulf Denver while literally catching the world on fire.

People skeptical of climate change/in denial are going to see this and laugh at it and dismiss us even more, it adds more ammo into their alarmist/hyperbole arguments. And I can't blame them, we are saying we are in more danger now than the Cuban Missile Crisis? Seriously???!

tommy1808

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:

...but including it in the Doomsday Clock is foolish, IMO, and only makes us look like crazy people that believe the oceans are going to engulf Denver while literally catching the world on fire.

People skeptical of climate change/in denial are going to see this and laugh at it and dismiss us even more, it adds more ammo into their alarmist/hyperbole arguments.!

The people dismissing Climate change are a minority that can safely be ignored when the population is concerned.

What we need is legislation that makes companies liable for results of counter-factual lobbying, not just damages, prison time for board members. They all know, and in the relevant industries have known for decades, that climate change is a very real problem, and has the potential to spiral into an extinction level event.

And I can't blame them, we are saying we are in more danger now than the Cuban Missile Crisis? Seriously???

The Cuban missile crisis never had the potential to make long term alterations to the habitability of the planet. Climate change has. The last rapid climate change, about two orders of magnitude slower than what we have now, killed 97% of all species on the planet. We probably never had enough nukes to do that. The Cuban missile crises was a joke in comparison.

best regards
Thomas

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:16 pm

The US military has up until now considered climate change as a serious threat to world peace, and to the safety of the US. Of course any high military figure saying that would result in their being fired.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:32 pm

My issue with including climate change into the clock is that the clock will likely never pull away from midnight. Dropping it down by fractions is ridiculous too. It's like a parent warning their kid that on 3 they will spank them but counting 1...2...2 1/2...2 3/4...
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:39 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
The Cuban missile crisis never had the potential to make long term alterations to the habitability of the planet. Climate change has. The last rapid climate change, about two orders of magnitude slower than what we have now, killed 97% of all species on the planet. We probably never had enough nukes to do that. The Cuban missile crises was a joke in comparison.

Climate change kills more slowly than a nuclear war could. And while the effect of climate change can be mitigated and slowly reversed, the effects of all out nuclear war would likely never be reversed. The two bombs the US dropped in Japan were a joke compared to what nukes between the US and SU would have been. Chernobyl, for example, the site of an accident, is not habitable for another 20,000 years. Imagine if the US and SU had launched missiles to major cities. Moscow, St. Petersburg, DC, Miami, New York...imagine the millions of people dead, major cities turned into wastelands and inhabitable for millenia, economic activity fully interrupted for decades to come, and potential nuclear winter depending on how many weapons launched before a ceasefire is declared.

And you think the Cuban Missile Crisis a joke?

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:37 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Climate change kills more slowly than a nuclear war could. And while the effect of climate change can be mitigated and slowly reversed, the effects of all out nuclear war would likely never be reversed. The two bombs the US dropped in Japan were a joke compared to what nukes between the US and SU would have been. Chernobyl, for example, the site of an accident, is not habitable for another 20,000 years. Imagine if the US and SU had launched missiles to major cities. Moscow, St. Petersburg, DC, Miami, New York...imagine the millions of people dead, major cities turned into wastelands and inhabitable for millenia, economic activity fully interrupted for decades to come, and potential nuclear winter depending on how many weapons launched before a ceasefire is declared.

It is scary to think the Doomsday Clock might be now even closer to midnight than during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Dutchy

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I don't think anyone with a sane mind will classify the Cuban Missile Crisis as a joke, that said I think climate change is much more a tread to humankind then the missile crisis ever was.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:31 pm

“As a boomer, you will not experience the real effects yourself, your generation is just responsible for not addressing it. Your generations had the opportunity to pollute the earth and your grandchildren will see the effects. “

Yes, because we all know it was the post-WW II generation aka Boomers that invented internal combustion creating climate change and the generations before and after were just innocent victims of their selfishness. Really, it’s true, you can read it here every day.

GF

Dutchy

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:37 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
“As a boomer, you will not experience the real effects yourself, your generation is just responsible for not addressing it. Your generations had the opportunity to pollute the earth and your grandchildren will see the effects. “

Yes, because we all know it was the post-WW II generation aka Boomers that invented internal combustion creating climate change and the generations before and after were just innocent victims of their selfishness. Really, it’s true, you can read it here every day.

GF

The Limits to Growth (LTG) is a 1972 report commissioned by the Club of Rome. So yes, the world knew and should have acted in 1972(!), before I was born and right in the time period the boomers started to influence the word and came to power. Your generation did nothing............

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 pm

And yours won’t either, because, in the end, time is too short or the economic coast is too high. LTG is just Thomas Malthus done in a computer. Perhaps, in ‘72, we should have just started driving Teslas.
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutchy

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:25 pm

The economic cost of doing nothing is too high.........................

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Dutchy wrote:

As is the cost of every proposal like the Green New Deal. I read the articles and everyone says we’re past fixing it and doomed in the next decade and has been making that prediction for the last three decades. I can’t wait for it for happen so I can see who’s right.

Dutchy

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:41 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

As is the cost of every proposal like the Green New Deal. I read the articles and everyone says we’re past fixing it and doomed in the next decade and has been making that prediction for the last three decades. I can’t wait for it for happen so I can see who’s right.

:roll:

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:28 am

Dutchy wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I don't think anyone with a sane mind will classify the Cuban Missile Crisis as a joke, that said I think climate change is much more a tread to humankind then the missile crisis ever was.

During the crisis, an American destroyer knocked out communications for a Soviet sub. Protocol at the time for losing communications was for the 3 most senior officers to take a vote weather or not to release the nuclear payload, in order to do this the vote had to be unanimous. It was 2-1.

Climate change is real, but happens over decades and we have the ability to correct it, or at least slow it down and mitigate it. If a nuclear war happens, it's game over. Ain't no climate change to worry about when everyone's dead.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

A101

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:46 am

The true meaning of the "Doomsday clock" has been hijacked for the cause of social & political engineering. The symbolic clock was created by those who worked on the Manhattan Project who saw first hand the destructive power of the bomb and the growing tensions with the cold war it is and always the symbol of nuclear danger and part of the scare propaganda. But to consolidate nuclear Armageddon with the idea that climate change/global warming will destroy mankind isn’t scientific, it’s all speculative.

Eugene Raboinowitch co founder of the Bulletin said "it was intended to reflect basic changes in the nuclear age"

https://thebulletin.org/sites/default/f ... nt%201.pdf

DeltaMD90

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:12 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
The people dismissing Climate change are a minority that can safely be ignored when the population is concerned.

WRONG

Maybe in Germany, maybe in Europe, maybe the entire world minus the US. But in the US, they are sizable enough to block the US from making any meaningful change, and it's not like the US is an insignificant player in climate change...

Dutchy wrote:
that said I think climate change is much more a tread to humankind then the missile crisis ever was.

:shock:

I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this one.

Not denying climate change or anything but I'd take that over a nuclear world war any day

frmrCapCadet

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:22 pm

Cultures and economies fail, in my opinion, because as they grow in size and complexity the means of political decision making becomes inadequate for the challenges they face. The various interest groups and stakeholders hang on to their rights and advantages even in the face of catastrophic failures. Climate challenges have often resulted in civilization collapses. We are just the first to have created world wide climate changes. Solutions are available. The political will is not there. I think politics will win, and collapse is the most likely alternative.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

einsteinboricua

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:54 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
During the crisis, an American destroyer knocked out communications for a Soviet sub. Protocol at the time for losing communications was for the 3 most senior officers to take a vote weather or not to release the nuclear payload, in order to do this the vote had to be unanimous. It was 2-1.

Let's not forget the Soviet False Alarm incident years later, revealed only in 1998, where a false alarm from their early warning systems could have led to an all out nuclear war. And who knows how many other false alarm stories there are out there not yet disclosed?

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:20 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Let's not forget the Soviet False Alarm incident years later, revealed only in 1998, where a false alarm from their early warning systems could have led to an all out nuclear war. And who knows how many other false alarm stories there are out there not yet disclosed?

One of my favorite events of the Cold War! A textbook example of falling back on training and gut instinct. Besides numerous broken arrows, I wonder how many times we've come close to setting off a bomb by mistake.

I guess at the end of the day climate change is still the ultimate enemy because nuclear winter sure changes the climate!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

cjg225

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:13 pm

Considering that the Cuban Missile Crisis could've wiped a very significant portion of the human population off the planet within an hour, I'd say that's more "Doomsday" than something that, while serious, will take quite a bit longer time to do its work.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

tommy1808

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:02 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

WRONG

Maybe in Germany, maybe in Europe, maybe the entire world minus the US. But in the US, they are sizable enough to block the US from making any meaningful change, and it's not like the US is an insignificant player in climate change...

Even in the US it is the overwhelming majority of 80%, even 2/3 of Republicans have come to their senses.

einsteinboricua wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Well, having grown up expecting to wake up to the noise of Russian tanks any day now I don't think the thread of nuclear war is a joke, but it pales in comparison. Even McKinsey puts the effect of Climate change on the order of hundreds of millions dead without climate even reaching a tipping point. Earth being frozen over solid or doing the Venus summers for a couple of 1000 years may just be an fairly off worst case scenario, but we don't have the nukes to do that, nor did we have them im the 60s. We may have been at that point somewhere inbetween though.

best regards
Thomas

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:58 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

WRONG

Even in the US it is the overwhelming majority of 80%, even 2/3 of Republicans have come to their senses.

Thomas, you should know better. You see how our politics are. You see how issues can get blown up and polarized. I mean look at expanded background checks for guns, something that what, 90% of Republicans agree with?

Combine the steadfast right wing with a bit of hype, disinformation, etc to move a little of the moderates over (or to at least oppose a green measure as ineffective or too far) and they'll sway half of Congress. Checkmate

My point is that you can't ignore climate change deniers. You must engage them. It's hard work, it often pulls climatologists off the front lines of combatting it to explain things most people know. But that has to be done. It is NOT fruitless. I used to deny it, me. It was mostly this site and the more patient posters that got through to me.

Don't underestimate the power of patience and education, there is obviously no single action that will fix this. It'll take millions of small actions. The small minority of climate change deniers MUST NOT be ignored!

tommy1808

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:53 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
WRONG

Thomas, you should know better. You see how our politics are.

yeah, corruption is pretty rampant in the US when it comes to stuff against the interest of money. That doesn´t change that the majority of people knows better.

My point is that you can't ignore climate change deniers.

We can ignore them, we just don´t.

You must engage them. It's hard work,

yeah. It is. It is called psychotherapy and i am not qualified to do that. Arguing with climate change deniers has absolutely no different feel from arguing with flat earthers these days. This is not the year 2000 with lower quality data available. We are in the murder happend in front of the jury and they still don´t want to convict phase when it comes to climate change.

It is NOT fruitless. I used to deny it, me. It was mostly this site and the more patient posters that got through to me.

I know. And 10 years ago, or even 5, i engaged them in details. I would do that today as well if i get the feeling someone is just missing bits of information, but at least online that pretty much isn´t the case anymore. Out of those that are left the overwhelming majority is willfully ignorant. Just look around here, when was the last time a climate change denier here even acknowledged a bit of fact.... 2015 ... 2016?

Don't underestimate the power of patience and education, there is obviously no single action that will fix this. It'll take millions of small actions. The small minority of climate change deniers MUST NOT be ignored!

Those 10 to 20% can be safely ignored if parties stop catering to them .... let them be grumpy until their Grandkids can tell them they have been idiots. Same sex marriage wasn´t legalized when everyone agreed that is a good idea, and the people still against it where not even wrong in any mathematical sense, yet when they took their convictions too far we even jailed them for their effort. Fun fact, in Germany a group of young people is actually trying to get politicians into coercive detention for not getting more done about climate change. So far courts agree that is in principle possible. Good. More of that. Lobby groups trying to block progress on that front and their financiers are essentially aiding and abetting genocide.

best regards
Thomas

DL717

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:54 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The Doomsday Clock has reached it's closest point ever to midnight (nuclear war) at 100 seconds from midnight. It is closer than even at any point at the height of the Cold War between the United States and Soviet Union. Events that brought the clock so close to midnight include the United States withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement and withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal. Recent tensions between the United States and Iran also brought the Doomsday Clock to 100 seconds. The farthest the Doomsday Clock has been from midnight was 17 minutes in 1991. It is a very dangerous situation that we are living in and hopefully Trump will get convicted in the Senate trial because of this.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html

Laughable. Completely laughable. Just shows how people have lost perspective on how things really were during the Cold War.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DL717

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:57 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

People skeptical of climate change/in denial are going to see this and laugh at it and dismiss us even more, it adds more ammo into their alarmist/hyperbole arguments.!

What we need is legislation that makes companies liable for results of counter-factual lobbying, not just damages, prison time for board members. They all know, and in the relevant industries have known for decades, that climate change is a very real problem, and has the potential to spiral into an extinction level event.

And I can't blame them, we are saying we are in more danger now than the Cuban Missile Crisis? Seriously???

best regards
Thomas

Riiiiight....all that nuke testing around the planet after World War II couldn’t possibly had an impact on climate, or our overall health for that matter.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?