Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Olddog
Topic Author

Brexit Part 8: the UK government saying what I want is full access and divergence

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Calls for full access to EU markets without alignment 'absurd', says MEP

Or, as BoJo said in parliament: I want my cake and eat it to. I guess he is up for a hard diet. Obviously not him personally.......

Part 7 can be found: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1430355

P.S Anyone can start the next thread when when we reach 50 pages :)

Aesma

Re: Brexit Part 8: the UK government saying what I want is full access and divergence

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:24 pm

To continue the discussion about an advisory referendum on Scotland independence, I am convinced it could be done relatively easily, and that the comparison with Catalonia is misleading. There are countless differences between the two.

With that said, I'm not sure at all that the referendum would give independance a win, which is precisely why nobody is seriously considering it. When Brexit starts biting in a couple of years, we shall see.

Aesma

Re: Brexit Part 8: the UK government saying what I want is full access and divergence

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:26 pm

From a video I watched the other day, on youtube from Channel 4, an interviewee, who knew a thing or two about trade deals, was saying that how much divergence, and on what, the UK would consider/implement, didn't matter. January 1st 2021, everything crossing the border into the EU from the UK will be treated as if it came from any 3rd country.

Klaus

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:06 pm

Aesma wrote:
From a video I watched the other day, on youtube from Channel 4, an interviewee, who knew a thing or two about trade deals, was saying that how much divergence, and on what, the UK would consider/implement, didn't matter. January 1st 2021, everything crossing the border into the EU from the UK will be treated as if it came from any 3rd country.

It's here, and it's quite interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCLoirMEOM

frmrCapCadet

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Simpler than declaring independence would Scotland declaring a loose union with the ROI. The EU takes care of trade and currency, possibly most the the important and expensive parts of diplomacy. Likely NI could do something similar. The three would be in the EU and more or less associated. This would not exclude a close but different association with England and Wales.

If you are not constantly waging war, if you are in a large, powerful, and generally beneficial trade and customs union, and have an immigration agreement, and generally can rely on the those for most of your relationships with the rest of the world, then nationalism loses a lot of its meaning and obligations.

noviorbis77

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:19 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Simpler than declaring independence would Scotland declaring a loose union with the ROI. The EU takes care of trade and currency, possibly most the the important and expensive parts of diplomacy. Likely NI could do something similar. The three would be in the EU and more or less associated. This would not exclude a close but different association with England and Wales.

If you are not constantly waging war, if you are in a large, powerful, and generally beneficial trade and customs union, and have an immigration agreement, and generally can rely on the those for most of your relationships with the rest of the world, then nationalism loses a lot of its meaning and obligations.

We don’t want freedom of movement in the UK.

Listen Scotland will not get an Independence vote during this Parliament.

Plus there is no assurance they’d vote for independence beyond on 2024.

Klaus

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:23 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:

Speak for yourself.

But just to be sure, England will not let them vote on it in the first place, the way true democracy works!

JJJ

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Simpler than declaring independence would Scotland declaring a loose union with the ROI.

Scotland would be a nice for for EFTA, too.

Dutchy

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:29 pm

Olddog wrote:

After more than 4 years of this nonsense, the current occupants of Downing street 10 still don't understand a bit or are still in denial. How many moons ago did Luxembourg PM tell the UK can’t have cake and eat it? Spoiler alert: it was 2016.

Then, more than two years ago, some more realism: Donald Tusk: UK is dropping cake-and-eat-it approach to Brexit.

So we are back at the beginning with this Government, still want to cherry-pick. I say fine, let them have their hard Brexit. Sorry for all willing UK citizens, but if this is where the British government stands, then so be it. No reasonable deal can be reached when one of the parties is unreasonable. All consequences are for those being unreasonable: the Brexitremist. I hope they will be held accountable for their deceiving the UK public.

Dutchy

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:32 pm

Klaus wrote:
But just to be sure, England will not let them vote on it in the first place, the way true democracy works!

Klaus, you are wrong, very wrong. The EU is a non-democratic dictatorial body and the UK is the pinnacle of democracy. Shame you did not get that memo.....

Klaus

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Klaus, you are wrong, very wrong. The EU is a non-democratic dictatorial body and the UK is the pinnacle of democracy. Shame you did not get that memo.....

Just wondering why the evidence keeps pointing exactly the opposite way...! :scratchchin:

Dutchy

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Klaus wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Just wondering why the evidence keeps pointing exactly the opposite way...! :scratchchin:

Oh dear, don't come with those pesky facts. True Brexiteers aren't persuaded by something so ordinary as evidence. Their elevated heads can't be bothered with something so mundane as that.

If the last 4 years have thought us anything then it is just that.

noviorbis77

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:53 pm

Klaus wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Well it is what this current government has said. If we get a new government in 2024, then that might be different.

ChrisKen

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:57 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:

Speak for yourself, I rather like my rights as they are. Only a moron would let our ship-shower in Westminster act without real accountability.

Don't worry, come brexit day (the real one, not the fake 'on paper only' January 31st one) you won't have it. As a UK national you wont be able to freely travel bewteen parts of the UK without checks.

If you meant free EU movement, it never really existed anyway. We were never part of schengen and maintained border controls.
With regards free movement rights during the eastern expansion. The UK (Blair government) chose to allow it, we held the opt-out and declined to use it.
The UK operates border controls and can/could decline entry to individual EU nationals should it have wished to.

Brexiteers, Blaming the EU for the UK's domestic ills.
We know what's coming after the unicorns dont arrive, it'll all be the 'remoaners' fault for being negative.
They'll carry on blaming all and sundry for screwing it up or maybe one day the penny will drop. All the ills being blamed on the EU are domestic UK issues.

You've thrown away the most envied position in the EU, for what? A 50p coin, a could have been blue anyway passport cover and some nonsense notion of 'taking back control' from those that never held it.

I look forward to our Article 49 return, schengen, the Euro and full integration. The inevitable ironic end result of the brexiteer's fantasy.

Arion640

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:08 pm

Klaus wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Scotland have had their vote on the issue.

New thread so lets try and stay on topic. It’s about Britain leaving the EU and not Scotland leaving the UK.

Klaus

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 am

Arion640 wrote:

Yeah, and that's why you only have one Commons vote in your lifetime (at least if you're lucky enough to be of voting age when that singular vote happens!). Repeating that would be completely redundant and an obvious waste of money. What a ludicrous idea!

Gotten lied to? Voted under false pretenses? Hate what the government you had voted for is actually doing to the place?

Tough! You've had your say, now shut up and fall in line!

That's how UK democracy works according to you, right?

New thread so lets try and stay on topic. It’s about Britain leaving the EU and not Scotland leaving the UK.

Ask a few scots to explain the connection between those two issues.

Among other things the false pretenses part ("Your only chance to remain in the EU is to vote to remain in the UK!").

And then we can talk about how Scotland switching back to the EU will affect residual England's leverage in its negotiations with the EU (at some point including independent Scotland with its own veto power, if you can remember how that went with Ireland).

par13del

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:20 am

Dutchy wrote:
Olddog wrote:

After more than 4 years of this nonsense, the current occupants of Downing street 10 still don't understand a bit or are still in denial. How many moons ago did Luxembourg PM tell the UK can’t have cake and eat it? Spoiler alert: it was 2016.

Maybe you should take a step back and think about what you just wrote.
In some post it is written that the UK assisted in writing a number of the EU rules / procedures which are being thrown at the UK, yet we say they don't know what they are doing or don't have a clue.
Reality is that they have been getting what they want from TM and her agreement - gone -, the hung parliament - gone -. Brexit bill passed, for people who talk nonsense or are in denial they seem to be trucking along accomplishing exactly what they want.

I would be more inclined to think the asking for things that you know are impossible as being the correct strategy for a hard Brexit with the old mantra of blaming the EU. One may not like the path they are taking, but that does not mean that they lack intelligence.

ltbewr

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:21 am

If Scotland were to become independent, would Hadrian's wall have to be rebuilt ?

Olddog
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 am

par13del wrote:
In some post it is written that the UK assisted in writing a number of the EU rules / procedures which are being thrown at the UK, yet we say they don't know what they are doing or don't have a clue.

You are not considering how the UK works. There are very knowledgeable civil servants but they are totally by-passed by politicians (and lately right wing ideology). I don't know if there is another european country where the ministers come only from elected politicians rather than people with all the competence in their area.

bennett123

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:55 am

You do know that Hadrian’s Wall doesn’t follow the England/Scotland border?.

Dutchy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:24 am

bennett123 wrote:
You do know that Hadrian’s Wall doesn’t follow the England/Scotland border?.

It doesn't? You learn something new every day.

Dutchy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:28 am

Olddog wrote:
par13del wrote:

You are not considering how the UK works. There are very knowledgeable civil servants but they are totally by-passed by politicians (and lately right wing ideology). I don't know if there is another european country where the ministers come only from elected politicians rather than people with all the competence in their area.

Many ministers in The Netherlands were elected in Parliament, they just gave up their seats to join the Cabinet. So I do not know of any European Parliament where the Ministers are still a member of the elected body, which suppose to be the check and balance in a democratic system.

Dutchy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 am

par13del wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Olddog wrote:

Reality is that they have been getting what they want from TM and her agreement - gone -, the hung parliament - gone -. Brexit bill passed, for people who talk nonsense or are in denial they seem to be trucking along accomplishing exactly what they want.

I would be more inclined to think the asking for things that you know are impossible as being the correct strategy for a hard Brexit with the old mantra of blaming the EU. One may not like the path they are taking, but that does not mean that they lack intelligence.

If that is the overall strategy of mister Dominic Cummings and the like, then yeah sure, it is a very cunning strategy. I would not call it a sign of intelligence though, given the repercussions to the UK economy, thus lacking of an integral view. But sure, if it is the narrow view we are judging by, then kuddos for misleading the UK public, Parliament, EU etc.

Dutchy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:38 am

ChrisKen wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Speak for yourself, I rather like my rights as they are. Only a moron would let our ship-shower in Westminster act without real accountability.

Don't worry, come brexit day (the real one, not the fake 'on paper only' January 31st one) you won't have it. As a UK national you wont be able to freely travel bewteen parts of the UK without checks.

Yes, noviorbis77 will, he has a dual citizenship, he is also Irish passport holder. He actually said that he doesn't care if others won't have the ability, while he does. So he is advocating a position which others will have trouble with, but not him personally.

Grizzly410

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:49 am

Klaus wrote:
Aesma wrote:

It's here, and it's quite interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCLoirMEOM

Yes very interesting indeed.
I didn't know the girl before, but I follow Sam Lowe for quite some time (@SamuelMarcLowe) and learned a lot from him.

noviorbis77

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:12 pm

Klaus wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Yeah, and that's why you only have one Commons vote in your lifetime (at least if you're lucky enough to be of voting age when that singular vote happens!). Repeating that would be completely redundant and an obvious waste of money. What a ludicrous idea!

Gotten lied to? Voted under false pretenses? Hate what the government you had voted for is actually doing to the place?

Among other things the false pretenses part ("Your only chance to remain in the EU is to vote to remain in the UK!").

And then we can talk about how Scotland switching back to the EU will affect residual England's leverage in its negotiations with the EU (at some point including independent Scotland with its own veto power, if you can remember how that went with Ireland).

So why not give all EU members a yearly referendum on whether they should stay in the EU or not?

Germany could have an annual vote etc?

Surely you’d support that to be democratic?

par13del

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Olddog wrote:
par13del wrote:

You are not considering how the UK works.

I am, hence my comment to Duchy that what is taking place in the Tory government now is not a mistake or the actions of Brexiters who do not know what it is that they want.

As for those civil servants, they were also there when TM was coming up with all her red lines and they were just as ineffective, so a wash now that the current government is still not using their "expertise".

The cynic in me might even ask how come their efforts to educate the UK masses about the EU were so dismal over the years, may be outside of the job their social circles are small and only got boosted in 2016?

Ertro

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
So why not give all EU members a yearly referendum on whether they should stay in the EU or not?

I seem to have forgotten. What was the date when UK asked EU for a permission to hold the referendum?
I have no recollection of such thing every happening. Please help to refresh my memory.

As far as I know every country is perfectly allowed to have referendums on whether they want to stay in the EU on every full minute and twice that on sundays and I fullheartedly support that right.

Arion640

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:41 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

I agree. And if they vote to stay, fair game.

tommy1808

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:43 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Why set up a vote every year literally nobody wants? For the 1/10th of the population to feel better?

Nope, we have no referendums, annual or otherwise.

best regards
Thomas

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:45 pm

I think that UK brexiteers underestimates what effect brexit has given on EU27. I often enjoy myself reading the express and how they like to express how brexit will be followed by greece, italy france etc.

The other day in express the express suddenly writes about Salvani who now official stopped asking about leaving the Euro and EU because the Italalian people will not anymore vote for such a party and the fact that Italian news has presented Brexit in a very bad way.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12339 ... rouble-spt

par13del

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 pm

Ertro wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

I seem to have forgotten. What was the date when UK asked EU for a permission to hold the referendum?
I have no recollection of such thing every happening. Please help to refresh my memory.

As far as I know every country is perfectly allowed to have referendums on whether they want to stay in the EU on every full minute and twice that on sundays and I fullheartedly support that right.

What would be the point, correct me if my memory is failing, but I thought there was something after the Ireland multiple votes that future treaties would be done by the elected houses versus referendums and countries where such constitutional requirements existed would have to be changed.

Ertro

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:59 pm

There is a massive difference between actually having repeated referendums and having a RIGHT to have such thing.

Actually having repeated referendums is very silly thing to do. Having even a single referendum on an issue that is not well defined is also silly.
However there must be a RIGHT to have such nonsense.

By the way Nigel Farage has himself twice called for a second EU referendum.
First time just before the first referendum when he thought remain would win and he wanted to have a second go to get his way through on second try.
He also called for second referendum on 2018 to "silence remainers".
So it seems that for some people they have very strong opinions whether referendums should be repeated or not and it depends on whether have they got they way or not.

17 may 2016: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu ... m-36306681
12 jan 2018: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -off-issue

Dutchy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:10 pm

Nigel Farage lost his business model. For most of his adult life, he lived from the EU benefits, now he is out and outlived his usefulness for his backers who want a hard Brexit. He now has to fetch for himself.

par13del

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Nigel Farage lost his business model. For most of his adult life, he lived from the EU benefits, now he is out and outlived his usefulness for his backers who want a hard Brexit. He now has to fetch for himself.

I thought he already secured a lifetime EU pension?
Perhaps Brexit and whatever payments the UK makes will push the EU towards finally establishing a Pension fund with contributions not just limited to current obligations, so that the fund can be independently grown.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:19 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
Dutchy wrote:

He walked away with € 180 000 per year... Someone will have a party!!!

Dutchy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:00 pm

olle wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
Dutchy wrote:

He walked away with € 180 000 per year... Someone will have a party!!!

Waste of money, but then again, here you go, the EU even finances its biggest critics. Anyhow, his selary was never enough for him, he needed more, hence he was financed by the Brexit baggers. One of the disputes he has with the EU parliament, he didn't notify the Parlaiment for this income.

Ah well, Farage gone, is one of the good things coming out of Brexit.

Arion640

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Oh well. We’ll keep going. I’m sure he can write a book or something.

Grizzly410

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Ya, and he could call it CLEVER.
The story of a guy explaining to fishers of his country that guys in Brussels don't care about them to be elected. And they believe him, because that precisely what he, ONE GUY in Brussels was precisely doing (not showing up to fishery commity meetings).

Spoiler alert : At the end he manages to retired with a nice pension paid by the working class he betrayed happily.

noviorbis77

Re: Brexit Part 8: the UK government saying what I want is full access and divergenceHy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:34 pm

Ertro wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Why would we need EU permission?

Grizzly410

Re: Brexit Part 8: the UK government saying what I want is full access and divergenceHy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:39 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Ertro wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

You wouldn't and didn't.
This started with Scotland : why Scotland need UK permission for a referendum, then ?

Arion640

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:44 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
Ertro wrote:

You wouldn't and didn't.
This started with Scotland : why Scotland need UK permission for a referendum, then ?

Scotland is part of sovereign UK territory. The EU is an organisation and is not country (as much as it tries to be one).

Why does Catalonia need permission to hold a referendum?

Arion640

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:46 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

The story of a guy explaining to fishers of his country that guys in Brussels don't care about them to be elected. And they believe him, because that precisely what he, ONE GUY in Brussels was precisely doing (not showing up to fishery commity meetings).

Spoiler alert : At the end he manages to retired with a nice pension paid by the working class he betrayed happily.

Wasn’t our problem. He probably isn’t the only EU employee not doing what they should of been. Perhaps the EU should of clamped down on it and prevented it happening in the first place.

Dutchy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Grizzly410 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Wasn’t our problem. He probably isn’t the only EU employee not doing what they should of been. Perhaps the EU should of clamped down on it and prevented it happening in the first place.

Farage isn't an EU employee, the EU obviously has nothing to say about who becomes an MEP, do we need to go over the fundamentals of democracy with you?

Arion640

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:29 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Grizzly410 wrote:

Farage isn't an EU employee, the EU obviously has nothing to say about who becomes an MEP, do we need to go over the fundamentals of democracy with you?

No, but I think i need to go over the fundamentals of democracy with you, with regards to our EU referendum vote :lol:

seahawk

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:30 pm

This discussion is like groundhog day. Why not simply wait till the end of the year and see what happens.

noviorbis77

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:33 pm

Grizzly410 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
Ertro wrote:

You wouldn't and didn't.

Because Scotland is part of the UK and is subject to UK Law.

noviorbis77

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:34 pm

seahawk wrote:
This discussion is like groundhog day. Why not simply wait till the end of the year and see what happens.

Because the knowitalls on here, the experts, want everyone to know what will happen, despite all round ignorance.

Dutchy

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

No, but I think i need to go over the fundamentals of democracy with you, with regards to our EU referendum vote :lol:

Where did I say anytihng about the EU referendum which isn't true........

Arion640

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:55 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Because the knowitalls on here, the experts, want everyone to know what will happen, despite all round ignorance.

I agree. It’s turned into one massive brit bashing fest, with no rational thought or acknowledgement of any anti EU points.