Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Two World Trade Center Design by Norman Foster Revived

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:15 am

Silverstone Properties, the developer of the World Trade Center site in New York City has cancelled BOY's design for the new Two World Trade Center in favor of a proposal from Foster & Partners back in 2006. The design from 2006 is a 79 story office tower with a slanted diamond shaped top that is being modified to meet contemporary needs and taste. The BIG design was presented in 2015 as a skyscraper consisting of stacked glass boxes with setbacks that form large terraces, though the Foster design remained an option. 2WTC is the final skyscraper left in the development of the new World Trade Center, which has seen a lot of reconstruction since 9/11. While it is not a twin Freedom Tower, the Foster design for 2 World Trade Center is certainly better than the BIG design proposed in 2015.
https://www.dezeen.com/2020/01/21/foste ... ked-tower/

Airstud

Re: Two World Trade Center Design by Norman Foster Revived

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:25 am

It reminds me of both the Georgia Pacific Building in Atlanta and the new Rainier Square project in Seattle.

Neither of which are awesome.
Pancakes are delicious.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:46 am

I actually meant Silverstein Properties, not Silverstone Properties.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:10 am

Airstud wrote:
It reminds me of both the Georgia Pacific Building in Atlanta and the new Rainier Square project in Seattle.

Neither of which are awesome.

Which 2 World Trade Center design are you referring to.

STT757

Two World Trade Center Design by Norman Foster Revived

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:03 pm

They’re are going back to Norman Foster to update his previous design for 200 Greenwich street (2WTC) which you can see here; They had scrapped it for another design when they thought Fox was moving, but after that deal fell through they’re going back with the original Foster design.

I work near the World Trade Center and go through there often to visit the shops and commute home via the PATH. It’s a wonderful destination, the memorial is spectacular and the museum is very moving. I wish they had some more normal shops in the Westfield World Trade Center. Not every store has to be super high end, and they also need more eateries.

My favorite places there are Eataly on the third floor of 4 World Trade Center, and ale District in Brookfield place.

Besides 200 Greenwich they’re also looking to move forward with 5 WTC, it used to be Deutch bank before it was torn down. They’re undecided between a combination condo/ hotel or a office building. I think the site needs a hotel and residence.

When I arrive in the morning on my way to work I imagine how awe inspiring it will be for travelers arriving from EWR on the PATH. Their first impression of the city being the beautiful WTC PATH hub. It’s amazing , and it’s connections to the NYC Subway are extensive now that the 1 train station finally opened. The underground walkway to the Fulton center is equally amazing, one day I hope it will go all the way to the East side to connect with a Second Avenue subway station. That would allow a
Person to walk underground all the way from the Winter Garden at Brookfield Place on the Hudson to the East river.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 pm

STT757 wrote:
They’re are going back to Norman Foster to update his previous design for 200 Greenwich street (2WTC) which you can see here; They had scrapped it for another design when they thought Fox was moving, but after that deal fell through they’re going back with the original Foster design.

I work near the World Trade Center and go through there often to visit the shops and commute home via the PATH. It’s a wonderful destination, the memorial is spectacular and the museum is very moving. I wish they had some more normal shops in the Westfield World Trade Center. Not every store has to be super high end, and they also need more eateries.

My favorite places there are Eataly on the third floor of 4 World Trade Center, and ale District in Brookfield place.

Besides 200 Greenwich they’re also looking to move forward with 5 WTC, it used to be Deutch bank before it was torn down. They’re undecided between a combination condo/ hotel or a office building. I think the site needs a hotel and residence.

When I arrive in the morning on my way to work I imagine how awe inspiring it will be for travelers arriving from EWR on the PATH. Their first impression of the city being the beautiful WTC PATH hub. It’s amazing , and it’s connections to the NYC Subway are extensive now that the 1 train station finally opened. The underground walkway to the Fulton center is equally amazing, one day I hope it will go all the way to the East side to connect with a Second Avenue subway station. That would allow a
Person to walk underground all the way from the Winter Garden at Brookfield Place on the Hudson to the East river.

It had been a political affair regarding the World Trade Center site after 9/11.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 am

One thing that is going to complicate the building and completion of WTC 2 will be that much of the footing area currently has parts of the ventalation and HVAC equipment for the Occolus and other underground parts of the complex. That will have to be relocated, or somehow intergrated with the new WTC 2 site. It is a shame that will take over 20 years from 9/11/01 to the completion of the site.

WTC 5 may not an official part of the WTC site (much like WTC 7), it is a replacement for a building damaged by the debris from WTC 2 and during demolition poor fire prevention management killed 3 workers. I don't know who may occupy it, It is interesting to note that many of the tenants in the current WTC 1, 3 & 4 contains government, international real estate, financial investment, web, tech and media companies including the NYC offices of Spotify. HQ offices of The Port Authority of NY & NJ (originally in WTC 1), an agency of the NY City government, Vanity Fair and related magazine and SNY (regional sports channel). A potential economic recession may hurt a possible new tenants as new buildings are built.

Kaphias

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:59 am

Bah. I prefer BIG's design. Nothing much special or unique about the Foster design.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:00 am

STT757 wrote:

Have you had the chance to visit One World Observatory as well.

slider

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Kaphias wrote:
Bah. I prefer BIG's design. Nothing much special or unique about the Foster design.

I concur. Architecturally and thematically, invoking a bit of the original towers, with the stairstep appearance...I like that...