Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Which country has the best leader today?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:38 am

In 2020, which country in the world has the best leader for its own people?
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

afcjets

Re: Which country has the best leader today?

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:49 am

US

stl07

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:50 am

afcjets wrote:
US

Thanks for trying to derail yet another thread into a Trump war. The best leader would not have an approval rating flirting with only 50%
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TTailedTiger

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:10 am

That's like asking which toilet seat you'd rather lick. Aside from some smaller countries you won't find anyone that's actually good. Some may suck a little less than others.

ltbewr

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 am

The Prime Minister of New Zealand would be among those who are the best national leaders. How she handled the terrorism event in Christchurch was a lesson to the world leaders, showing compassion for the victims and respect to the Islamic community there as well as getting major revisions to gun laws passed to remove military class weapons.

stl07

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:15 am

ltbewr wrote:
The Prime Minister of New Zealand would be among those who are the best national leaders. How she handled the terrorism event in Christchurch was a lesson to the world leaders, showing compassion for the victims and respect to the Islamic community there as well as getting major revisions to gun laws passed to remove military class weapons.

That's good to know that it was handled decently.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

CaptHadley

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:04 am

afcjets wrote:
US

:lol: :lol: Now that's the funnay!

afcjets

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:10 am

stl07 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
US

Thanks for trying to derail yet another thread into a Trump war.

I think you're projecting.

CaptHadley

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:12 am

afcjets wrote:
stl07 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
US

I think you're delusional.

jetero

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:43 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
That's like asking which toilet seat you'd rather lick. Aside from some smaller countries you won't find anyone that's actually good. Some may suck a little less than others.

I will very proudly lick a toilet seat (among other things) if that a*sbag didn’t get elected.

There is right and wrong, that will never change.

It may take time but it will be corrected.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:45 am

afcjets wrote:
stl07 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
US

Can you back that up though? That's the challenge. How is 45 a more accomplished or dedicated leader than Maurer in Switzerland, Lee in Singapore, Ardern in NZ, Ian Khama in Botswana or Uhuru Kenyatta?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

tu204

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 am

Stupid question really...

Obviously it's Dear Leader Kim Jong Un!

The TS should be ashamed of even asking such a question!
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Kiwirob

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:05 am

ltbewr wrote:

She's not well liked by at least 50% of the country, she just launched a massive election bribe yesterday, the govt has now restarted almost all the highway projects that the last govt started, but Jacinda's govt cancelled the first week they came to power. They talked the big talk about being a transformational govt yet have realised they didn't have the ministerial talent to do the job so have just reverted to taking the other main parties policies and restarting them. So no light rail project, no regional rapid rail, no 2 billion trees, no 10,000 new social housing homes, they failed on every policy they were elected on.

Jacinda was lucky she had the Christchurch massacre, it did wonders for her PR which was tanking due to baby gate and not spending enough time actually working as PM. She smoke and mirrors, i'll be surprised if she wins this years general election.

Braybuddy

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:18 am

sonicruiser wrote:

Call me cynical, but I don't believe there's a politican in power on the planet who puts the interests of of their own people above those of their party, or their re-election.

tommy1808

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:49 am

CaptHadley wrote:
afcjets wrote:
US

i like his enthusiasm, but who is "US" in this case .... Russia, Nord Korea, ....?

Braybuddy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Call me cynical, but I don't believe there's a politican in power on the planet who puts the interests of of their own people above those of their party, or their re-election.

There are probably some, but they don´t last very long, or Realpolitik catches up...

I think to answer the question
sonicruiser wrote:

you´d need a definition of what that means? Probably not popularity... honesty? Gdp growth? Job numbers? HDI? Gini?

I nominate Sophie Wilmès from Belgium. High HDI, good GINI and high GDP.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Jouhou

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Emmanuel Macron (France) and Tsai Ing-wen (Taiwan). Both leaders that I respect and when they say something I don't agree with I'm motivated to try seeing the issue at hand from the way they are looking at it. I don't think France appreciates how strong their leader makes them look on the world stage. I think Taiwan appreciates their chosen leader, and savor their democracy.

tommy1808 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
afcjets wrote:
US

i like his enthusiasm, but who is "US" in this case .... Russia, Nord Korea, ....?

He's being inclusive, it's all of us. Were just a big global happy family. Sometimes we have sibling rivalry where we threaten each other with nukes, but we're just a 7.7 Billion strong family here. He wants global hugs.
情報

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:18 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Emmanuel Macron (France) and Tsai Ing-wen (Taiwan). Both leaders that I respect and when they say something I don't agree with I'm motivated to try seeing the issue at hand from the way they are looking at it. I don't think France appreciates how strong their leader makes them look on the world stage. I think Taiwan appreciates their chosen leader, and savor their democracy.

I somewhat disagree about Macron - at least the French doesn't exactly like him.

tu204 wrote:

Exactly, where else can you find 100% approval rating?

More realistic - his counterpart in the South, Moon Jae-in, is actually a pretty good leader.

afcjets

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:30 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Can you back that up though? That's the challenge. How is 45 a more accomplished or dedicated leader than Maurer in Switzerland, Lee in Singapore, Ardern in NZ, Ian Khama in Botswana or Uhuru Kenyatta?

His record of over 320 accomplishments in three years.

casinterest

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:32 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Serving Russia and racists doesn't count.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Airontario

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Rwanda.

AirWorthy99

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:58 pm

the UK... Boris Johnson... did an amazing job getting the UK out of Europe! they have a habit of having great leaders, Churchill, Lady Thatcher come to mind as great leaders.
Last edited by AirWorthy99 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

rfields5421

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:07 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

I have to agree.

The very nature of an election system makes it impossible for elected leaders to honestly serve their people.

Only problem is that representative government by elected officials is a horrible way to set priorities and allocate resources. And it beats any other system by a mile (km for the other 99% of the world).
Not all who wander are lost.

Aaron747

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:15 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Did you get that from Double DUI’s presskit?

And anyway pretty sure just on size and scope alone, Xi in the PRC has hundreds more accomplishments.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DL717

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:30 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

The one where said leader doesn’t give a flying flip about a bunch of whining and useless politicians that don’t do anything, ever.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

aerosreenivas

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:37 pm

Justin Trudeau of Canada is the best leader as of now.

Aesma

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:24 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I nominate Sophie Wilmès from Belgium. High HDI, good GINI and high GDP.

best regards
Thomas

I'm French and have never heard of her. Belgium can run without a PM for a couple of years at times so I'm not sure how important that job really is.

If we could do that in France people would probably be happier, realizing that sometimes it's not about what the country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself (and others).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:34 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

That's an interesting point though.

Take Gerhard Schröder for example.

He passed labor laws that made Germany very competitive. He was unpopular for this, and lost to Angela Merkel, who didn't change the laws, and has ridden on them for 15 years, enjoying at times incredible popularity, for basically doing nothing.

Who is the best leader, Schröder who did the hard choices and was unpopular, or Merkel who did nothing and was popular ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:03 pm

Japan, Germany, France. come to mind
all three doing well.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:08 pm

Bibi of course
I am the Googlizer!!!

Dutchy

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:14 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

I can't really answer it since you didn't give us criteria to measure it by. Popularity obviously isn't it. And results of reforms are only known in a few years. We all know who isn't ranked among the best leader today, but that is a totally different question.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dutchy

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:22 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

I have to agree.

The very nature of an election system makes it impossible for elected leaders to honestly serve their people.

Only problem is that representative government by elected officials is a horrible way to set priorities and allocate resources. And it beats any other system by a mile (km for the other 99% of the world).

Right, I would rephrase it: "The very nature of an election system makes it impossible for elected leaders to honestly serve their people in the long term."

Climate change is the perfect example, what is good for the country (and world) in the long term, is very unpopular in the short term, but that's why we have a huge problem today. If the politicians did the right thing in 1972, we wouldn't have a problem and the change would have been gradual.

In that sense, China comes to mind, if you look at their strategy, it is very long term focused. Hence the Britts said, we got Hong Kong for 99 years, and the Chinese said, we have it for the rest of times.

Putting other criteria as human rights etc. in the mix, China will fall in the scale of good leadership.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Jouhou

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I somewhat disagree about Macron - at least the French doesn't exactly like him.

tu204 wrote:

Exactly, where else can you find 100% approval rating?

More realistic - his counterpart in the South, Moon Jae-in, is actually a pretty good leader.

No, but if we are discussing in the realm of heads of state and not more general "leaders" of any sort, people lose sight in Democratic countries of what heads of state can and can't do. They aren't supposed to be dictators, their most important role is representing us on the world stage. Made in makes France appear stronger than old stereotypes held. He takes nuanced positions that make sense, he's firm with other leaders acting like bullies or being childish but is willing to work with them if they change their ways.

I think France fails to see this because their system is similar to ours, and they think presidents have more influence over internal affairs than they actually have in reality. They should look to how he interacts with other heads of state.
情報

noviorbis77

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 pm

Boris.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

I can't really answer it since you didn't give us criteria to measure it by. Popularity obviously isn't it. And results of reforms are only known in a few years. We all know who isn't ranked among the best leader today, but that is a totally different question.

wouldn't each of us individually have different criteria than the OP OF WHAT we think a good leader would be?

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:35 am

Aesma wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

He passed labor laws that made Germany very competitive. He was unpopular for this, and lost to Angela Merkel, who didn't change the laws, and has ridden on them for 15 years, enjoying at times incredible popularity, for basically doing nothing.

Who is the best leader, Schröder who did the hard choices and was unpopular, or Merkel who did nothing and was popular ?

It's obviously Schröder. To do the right thing even though it's unpopular & gets you the boot is a hallmark of a good leader.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

prebennorholm

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:09 am

sonicruiser wrote:

Irrelevant question. Countries, which have "a leader", are mostly all sort of crappy countries.

Leadership takes a lot more than a leader. Successful national leadership normally means that you have sort of diplomats up front to master information flow, while the real leadership is a much more complicated teamwork of people all sorts of direct professional knowledge of society. Each political party shall have own public information flow and specialists with hands on experience in the real world.

Since the Roman Empire, and even earlier, much of the world has due to human stupidness been seeking "strong leaders". During second half of 20th century there seemed to be sort of improvements in some areas, but much seem to fall back to the old-fashioned way these days. Especially several of the large countries have gone downhill.

Let me ask a related question: How do you rate the president of Switzerland? Does she represent good leadership of her own country? At least she isn't stuck in thousands of years old leadership principles which proved disasterous umpteen million times.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

flyguy89

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:59 am

History generally seems to look kindly on the reluctant civil servant types...those who step up to lead when needed, but willingly give up power and return to private life even when they could continue in power. George Washington and Roman general Cincinnatus being the two biggest examples that spring to mind. I unfortunately can't find it, but remember reading an article a few years ago that basically related legacy popularity with governors/senators/presidents who had foregone reelection or stepped down from their offices despite having the political/electoral ability to remain in office. I thought it was a pretty interesting observation. I don't really see any leaders on the world stage currently who would fit this mold however.

zkojq

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:19 am

Emmi Macron is a top bloke - doing mostly the right stuff even if it's not popular. Jacinda Ardern is doing a good job reversing the social decay and neglect from the previous government whilst balancing the budget. Mette Frederiksen does a good job sticking up against foreign aggression.
First to fly the 787-9

VSMUT

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 pm

France and Canada.

WIederling

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Aesma wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

The redeeming thing about Ms. Merkel is that she knows and conceeded the fact.

Helmut Kohl entered the scene in quite a similar way. But in contrast invariably saw his own actions as superior
though in every domain he was a "Trittbrettfahrer".
The economic upswing he boasted as his achievement was kicked off during the Helmut Schmidt chancelorship.
Reunification was made possible by SPD Ostpolitik, GOP like opposed by the CDU.
Murphy is an optimist

L410Turbolet

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:57 pm

Jouhou wrote:
He takes nuanced positions that make sense, he's firm with other leaders acting like bullies or being childish but is willing to work with them if they change their ways.

You must be watching some other Macron than me.
The one I see is acting like a petulant child who throws a tantrum when the EP uses its perfectly legitimate right to reject a EU Commissioner and talks nonsense about "major institutional crisis for Europe" because of that.
He's the one trying to bully his way through the EU without legitimacy or mandate.
Economics-wise he's in many aspects on the same page with Trump, but he gets away with it because of his make up on a pretty face.

L410Turbolet

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:02 pm

WIederling wrote:

Ostpolitik was appeasment with a different name.

dtw2hyd

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:04 pm

Now that all nominations are out, let me state my opinion.

The country which has well funded, well organized troll farms run by state (or) ruling party.
All posts are just opinions.

WIederling

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:22 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Ostpolitik was appeasment with a different name.

Simplistic view. shared by the majority of conseratives. ( you need progressive interluded
to fix what the conservatives "Selbstversorger" ruined in their grabby greed.)

Ostpolitik took the "no interchange" Iron Curtain down.
This brought commercial exchange
( like the GDR producing for IKEA, Neckermann, Quelle
and the BRD buying gas, oil and steel from the Soviets. )
and it brought comparability to two systems.
The communist/socialist setup didn't look too good in comparison.
The end came when the majority more or less just walked away from their system.
( Rooster on the Dung Pile Reagan really effect nothing beyond nearly blowing
us to Kingdom Come during Able Archer.)

Compare to "no diffusion" North Korea. that will continue as long as it can keep borders closed off.
Murphy is an optimist

SueD

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:54 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

Need some rules definitions and control measure to consider an appropriate and relevant answer.

Are we talking authoritarianism, viz democratic values, Liberal economics viz Socialism, welfare delivery viz to market forces.

Could go on and on.

However without doubt the worlds strongest domestic leader is Putin and I loath him , dangerous , deceitful, manipulative, corrupt, thief, immensely powerful through control of the media and internal message and most assuredly a new Russian Tsar.

Xi Jinping has effectively crowned himself an emperor in the vast and increasing global power that is the modern PRC - playing the long game - He could well be THE major global influencer and financial controller very soon - Terrifying imho.

Donald isn’t anything like that - US constitution ensures he must go away latest November 2025 what ever his popularity because of the 22nd amendment.

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Which country has the best leader today?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:25 pm

What I mean by best leader is someone who is well liked by their people domestically for what they have done to improve that country.

The people of XYZ country believe that their leader is doing the right things for that country to succeed. I am specifically referring to developing countries as developing countries need good leadership more than developed countries.

So basically any leader from the Global South is eligible.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

jetwet1

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:35 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Sorry, rounds of golf are not accomplishments.

Francoflier

Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:12 pm

Politicians are a necessary evil. Not one of them should be trusted, not one of them should even be liked. They should all be viewed with suspicion and held on a tight leash.

Blind admiration and devotion to any of them is, aside from stupid, extremely dangerous.

So with that in mind, I really think Abiy Ahmed, Prime Minister of Ethiopia, is quite deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize he recently was awarded. What he has done in his country during his tenure so far is admirable, especially given the context and history of the place.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

dtw2hyd

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:18 pm

If the question is who have done more for the country, the answer is Trump for USA.

Most lopsided trade deals are gone
Most taxing strategic relationships are reset
No country can expect to benefit from US permanently
No longer the globalization is good in the long term for US while other countries benefit immoderately pitch works
Economy is doing reasonably well
Unemployment rate is down
The White House is no longer an elitist foreign territory with fake protocols and scripted speeches, it is just another run-of-the-mill dysfunctional American family.

Even though Democrats are complaining, even a Democratic President will enjoy the stronger position when renegotiating future deals with the world.
All posts are just opinions.

Aesma

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:44 pm

The US economy is doing crap considering the gigantic deficit, and that's precisely because of the stupid trade wars. Nothing strong about that, the US is the main beneficiary of globalization.

sonicruiser wrote:
What I mean by best leader is someone who is well liked by their people domestically for what they have done to improve that country.

The people of XYZ country believe that their leader is doing the right things for that country to succeed. I am specifically referring to developing countries as developing countries need good leadership more than developed countries.

So basically any leader from the Global South is eligible.

By your definition only the leader of a developing country can win anyway, in developed countries leaders are never that popular.

I confess to not know enough about such leaders to have an opinion, well I know a long list that won't qualify, usually if they've been in power for more than 10 years you can cross them off the board.