Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

caliboy93
Topic Author

No more Valentine's Day?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Should Valentine's Day be banned? It's offensive and discriminatory towards singles, the divorced and widowed.

DeltaMD90

Re: No more Valentine's Day?

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:54 pm

Oh brother, everyone these days is always looking for ways to be offended.

I thought it was a silly holiday both when I was single and now that I'm not. Don't like it?, Don't celebrate it. Let people have their fun.

I really hope this is a troll post...

Jouhou

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:40 pm

Uh, yeah. It's an artificial holiday, in the relationships I've had we typically ignored it or just joked about it. It's just a way to sell more products and services people don't need.
情報

KFLLCFII

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:32 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
Should Valentine's Day be banned? It's offensive and discriminatory towards singles, the divorced and widowed.

Discriminatory toward singles and the divorced?

It's really just the opposite...it's incredibly liberating.

At my organization, they tend to transfer people around among the different locations somewhat frequently (in addition to the turnover rate), so there's always new faces at my location. Every year around this time is when someone in the breakroom...usually a woman...starts asking around the room what all the guys (never the women) are doing for Valentine's Day. Their answers typically range from the expensive to the embarrassing (usually both), and then they ask me.

"Enjoying the hell out of my freedom".

It's always the same reaction...The women tend to look shocked, offended, and beginning to stew, and the men look like their balls just retreated into their stomachs, with a few beginning to become defensive...Hey, if the relationship deal for you men was so "great" on its own, then why feel the need to defend it from my freedom? Oh right, must defend the prison...and the warden. :wink2:

The joy of Valentine's Day: A yearly remembrance (and celebration) of the Great Escape! :birthday: :bigthumbsup:
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

noviorbis77

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:58 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

No it should not be banned.

If you wish to celebrate it, celebrate it. If you do not, then do not.

Maybe if people are offended by it, perhaps they may need to see a therapist.

DL717

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:40 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

How is it discriminatory? If anything, it gives them motivation so they can celebrate it.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

seb146

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:49 pm

I don't understand why such a big deal is made out of a Catholic feast day. I am not Catholic. I do not understand the obsession with Valentines Day or Mardi Gras. If people want to celebrate them, fine. I just do not feel any desire to.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TSS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

No it should not be banned.

If you wish to celebrate it, celebrate it. If you do not, then do not.

Maybe if people are offended by it, perhaps they may need to see a therapist.

Amen on all points Noviorbis, especially the last one.

Listen Caliboy, just because you think you've been dealt a losing hand is no reason to call off the game entirely for everyone. Play your cards to win and you might surprise yourself. Start by doing what I do and take advantage of the fact that Valentine's Day candy in cute, lace-trimmed, satin heart boxes goes on sale for half price on February 15th. Follow that up by saying "Hahaha, not me!" every time you see a couple arguing in public.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

stl07

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:27 am

Caliboy, I would really advise you to watch some youtube videos on the channel called teachingmenfashion or heck, even wiki answers might help.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:44 am

hmmm. I have always thought it was a day to show love.
I send little care packages to my grandchildren. I send a potted plant to my grown children for them to plant outside.
I like to make that special day untraditional. Though, it's maybe a painful reminder to others. I hated in high school
when they would pass out flowers in the third period. many people didn't get flowers and the ones that did, it was embarrassing when they got flowers from several people. I would do away with that at school if they still do it.

Aaron747

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:47 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
hmmm. I have always thought it was a day to show love.
I send little care packages to my grandchildren. I send a potted plant to my grown children for them to plant outside.
I like to make that special day untraditional. Though, it's maybe a painful reminder to others. I hated in high school
when they would pass out flowers in the third period. many people didn't get flowers and the ones that did, it was embarrassing when they got flowers from several people. I would do away with that at school if they still do it.

The country would be a better place if most people were anywhere near as thoughtful as you.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

lightsaber

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:30 am

DL717 wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

How is it discriminatory? If anything, it gives them motivation so they can celebrate it.

Isn't singles day the biggest shopping day of the year?

No one forces anyone to recognize Valentine's day. It isn't a day off or anything.

I'm divorced and celebrate it. I've had some great 1st dates on Valentine's day. :) A long time ago...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TSS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:49 am

stl07 wrote:
Caliboy, I would really advise you to watch some youtube videos on the channel called teachingmenfashion or heck, even wiki answers might help.

Be very careful in taking advice from teachingmenfashion: From the waist up he seems to be on point, but from the waist down he has an inexplicable love for "skinny" jeans which only look good on people who are truly skinny, i.e. their thighs are the same size as their calves, and for pants that are too short and show off his sockless ankles which is a bad look on women and a worse look for men. Always keep in mind that just because something is in style doesn't mean that it will fit your style.

stl07

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:54 am

TSS wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Be very careful in taking advice from teachingmenfashion: From the waist up he seems to be on point, but from the waist down he has an inexplicable love for "skinny" jeans which only look good on people who are truly skinny, i.e. their thighs are the same size as their calves, and for pants that are too short and show off his sockless ankles which is a bad look on women and a worse look for men. Always keep in mind that just because something is in style doesn't mean that it will fit your style.

Yea, good point to remember. Anyways, what I was getting at was that instead of complaining about your situation, do something to change it. Or if not that, then do what you (TSS) are doing and enjoy the single life while it lasts.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

SanDiegoLover

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:05 am

TSS wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Stop trying to defend your love of cargo pants! :P

1337Delta764

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:13 am

Definitely should not be banned. The perfect day to wear pink (red is more for Christmas).

TSS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:54 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
TSS wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Stop trying to defend your love of cargo pants! :P

Ooh, a swing and a miss! In 53 years the closest I've ever come to owning a pair of cargo pants was some camouflage fatigues I bought exclusively for when I worked on the car, my logic being that the black spots in the camo pattern would also hide grease and oil spots from the car.

I strongly prefer to wear blue jeans, not some foo-foo overpriced designer brand but real, original Levi's, or in a damage-prone situation Wranglers because they're cheaper and it doesn't irritate me as much if a new pair of them gets ruined.

stl07

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:19 am

Hollister jeans are very cheap during the sales and they look sharp

stl07

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:19 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
Definitely should not be banned. The perfect day to wear pink (red is more for Christmas).

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
Close thread

M564038

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:26 pm

So no one in or outside of this thread has argued in favour of banning valentines (or christmas), and yet people, especially conservatives, are getting upset and angry.

Starting with DeltaMD90 in the very first reply being very offended just because he thinks others are offended.

Oh, the irony!

The easily offended, naive snowflakes of the conservative right wing strikes again! Getting angry with the world and their neighbour because of something no one has said. Having learned nothing when people try to warn them that is exactly how propaganda works.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:45 pm

Due to more of a mix of different religious and cultural beliefs over the years, the fear of offending others and charges of sexism, many public schools no longer acknowledge the day and many workplaces discourage it too.

To me V-day is a massive conspiracy of the candy, flower, greeting card, restaurant and jewelry industry to make some money in an otherwise quiet time of the year. :lol:

Joking aside, to me the best reason for the day is to encourage persons to express their love to those in relationships with or want to have they far too often don't do.It is also great that in many countries, it's celebration isn't limited to heterosexual persons, but can include gay persons as well.

TSS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:10 pm

M564038 wrote:
So no one in or outside of this thread has argued in favour of banning valentines (or christmas), and yet people, especially conservatives, are getting upset and angry.

A. Aside from yourself, who mentioned banning Christmas?

B. The OP asked if Valentine's Day should be banned because in his opinion it was offensive-

caliboy93 wrote:

C. Who is "upset and angry"? A question was asked and then answered multiple times.

M564038 wrote:
Starting with DeltaMD90 in the very first reply being very offended just because he thinks others are offended.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Oh brother, everyone these days is always looking for ways to be offended.

I thought it was a silly holiday both when I was single and now that I'm not. Don't like it?, Don't celebrate it. Let people have their fun.

I really hope this is a troll post...

He doesn't sound particularly offended to me, and seems to be suggesting a "Live & let live" attitude in regards to Valentine's Day.

M564038 wrote:
Oh, the irony!

This seems to be the definition of "irony" that you're implying- a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
"the irony is that I thought he could help me"
. Could you give specific examples of where someone, conservative or otherwise, responded in an unexpected manner in this thread?

M564038 wrote:
The easily offended, naive snowflakes of the conservative right wing strikes again! Getting angry with the world and their neighbour because of something no one has said. Having learned nothing when people try to warn them that is exactly how propaganda works.

Are you and I even reading the same thread here? Are you suggesting that banning Valentine's Day is propaganda, or that Valentine's Day itself is?

cjg225

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:37 pm

Is this a troll job or serious? Honestly can't tell.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

DeltaMD90

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:54 pm

M564038 wrote:

Oh, the irony!

LOL

I'm not sure where to begin. No one is talking about banning Valentine's Day? Did you even read the first post? It's only two sentences, first one suggesting it should be banned and the second listing reasons for it

Second, where is this notion coming from that I'm conservative/right wing? Because, er, I'm not...........

I am, however, super offended you'd even say such a thing! ;)

This thread is awesome haha. Where is OP btw?

LabQuest

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Uh, yeah. It's an artificial holiday, in the relationships I've had we typically ignored it or just joked about it. It's just a way to sell more products and services people don't need.

All holidays are artificial.

alfa164

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:24 pm

cjg225 wrote:

I think at least half the posters here are missing the satire of the original post...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:36 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Joking aside, to me the best reason for the day is to encourage persons to express their love to those in relationships with or want to have they far too often don't do.It is also great that in many countries, it's celebration isn't limited to heterosexual persons, but can include gay persons as well.

There are still parts of this country (USA) where a gay couple expressing their feelings for each other will result in them being assaulted.

I do not subscribe to the "let's set one day a year aside to show each other how we feel" because, if I get run over by a bus today, the brosband will not be eulogizing what we did on Valentine's Day but, rather, what we did on some random June afternoon. You do not need a special day to tell someone how you feel. That day is today.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Ken777

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:27 pm

I've had too much fun over the years with Valentines Day. In Elementary School everyone handed out cards to everyone It was simply fun. The older you get the better job you do - on the candy or flowers side, but the girlfriends were fewer. Didn't know it at the time, but I should have been saving into a Valentine Fund during the lean years to have money a nice dinner in the later years.

One thing I did learn over the years - sending flowers, especially when unexpected, can be far more effective than candy. Even after 50+ years. :wink2:

bennett123

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:36 pm

I have always been single.

Nothing wrong with Valentines Day.

Means cheap Chocs for me the following day.

EstherLouise

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:45 pm

I gotta change my reading glasses. Can't tell if it says Callboy or Caliboy. Anyway.... Valentine's Day is just made up.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

M564038

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:08 pm

Dear Delta,
If you get baited by this, how can you ever trust your reactions towards real issues in real life?
No one is in favour of banning Valentines day, and if you read OP as making that suggestion, then that explains how you can end up so conservative, frustrated and angry. You read the world around you the wrong way!

DeltaMD90 wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Oh, the irony!

LOL

I'm not sure where to begin. No one is talking about banning Valentine's Day? Did you even read the first post? It's only two sentences, first one suggesting it should be banned and the second listing reasons for it

Second, where is this notion coming from that I'm conservative/right wing? Because, er, I'm not...........

I am, however, super offended you'd even say such a thing! ;)

This thread is awesome haha. Where is OP btw?

WesternDC6B

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:42 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

Please. Get a life. I’m not Christian, but am not offended by Easter, Christmas, or the Epiphany. I am not offended by the lunar new year. I am not offended by Eid. Why? Because I am not seeking out ways to find something about which to complain. I am not, by nature, a sniveler or whiner.

As for Valentine’s Day itself, all I do it make sure I am not in any auto repair shops in Chicago. :-{)}}}
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

casinterest

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:03 pm

Valentine's day can be incredibly lonely, or incredibly fun, or just blah. My favorite thing to do with the Mrs. is just grill some food and have a nice bottle of wine at home. All the fancy dinners out get to be too big of a pain when you have kids. but they were fun while without kids.

When you aren't with someone, just go out with some friends and enjoy making fun of those stuck in a relationship. We used to make up stories about the couples we would see around us.
Where ever you go, there you are.

TSS

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:41 pm

alfa164 wrote:
cjg225 wrote:

I think at least half the posters here are missing the satire of the original post...

;)

Interesting. The OP has a history of starting similarly themed and equally... fanciful threads, so it's not unreasonable to assume that either they're all serious or they're all satire. Since the OP also has a history of contributing very little if anything to the threads he starts once they are underway, I'm now leaning towards thinking they are all satire and meant to provoke reactions, not unlike throwing a rock at a hornet's nest to then watch that reaction.

Well done, Caliboy.

alfa164

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:24 am

EstherLouise wrote:
I gotta change my reading glasses. Can't tell if it says Callboy or Caliboy. Anyway.... Valentine's Day is just made up.

It has to be Caliboy; Callboys all love Valentine's Day. They get chocolate and flowers from all their Johns...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

cjg225

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:27 am

TSS wrote:
Interesting. The OP has a history of starting similarly themed and equally... fanciful threads, so it's not unreasonable to assume that either they're all serious or they're all satire. Since the OP also has a history of contributing very little if anything to the threads he starts once they are underway, I'm now leaning towards thinking they are all satire and meant to provoke reactions, not unlike throwing a rock at a hornet's nest to then watch that reaction.

Well done, Caliboy.

Ah, good call. I hadn't made that connection yet.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...