Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Forbes: Trump economy’s first 3 years’ numbers weaker than Obama’s last three years

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:39 pm

An interesting analysis from one of the seniors at Forbes - contrary to the fluff coming from the White House, aside from the stock market, significant KPIs are weaker than they’d have us believe, eapecially growth:

Using the same GDP metric of consumer spending plus business investment adjusted for inventory changes, Obama’s last three years in office had growth rates of at least 2.17% and as high as 3.06%.

For Trump the high point was 2.83% in 2018 when the tax cut seems to have had the largest impact and even fell short of Obama’s 2014 and 2015 growth rates of 3.06% and 3.05%, respectively.

In 2019 the adjusted growth rate was only 1.99%. This is less than Obama’s three last years in office and less than five of his last six years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones ... 082a9a4fed
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

stl07

Re: Forbes: Trump economy’s first 3 years’ numbers weaker than Obama’s last three years

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Does that have to do with Trump though? Isn't the international economy stagnating a little bit anyway? That being said, it still doesn't give him the excuse to pretend like he is a massive economy booster like a does.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

trpmb6

Re: Forbes: Trump economy’s first 3 years’ numbers weaker than Obama’s last three years

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Well considering all the economists were predicting trump's presidency would usher in a new great recession I consider any sort of positive economic news a monster swing from where we were supposed to be at.

casinterest

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:35 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Well considering all the economists were predicting trump's presidency would [url][/url]usher in a new great recession I consider any sort of positive economic news a monster swing from where we were supposed to be at.

All the economists? ?

Highly doubtful.
The economy according to Trump was supposed to be growing at >3% after his tax cuts.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028780773

This graph shows how much the tax cuts have not done for the US. Eventually the US dollar will fall as countries stop buying the debt.

Where ever you go, there you are.

DfwRevolution

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Who are you going to believe? Forbes or your lying bank account?
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:19 am

DfwRevolution wrote:
Who are you going to believe? Forbes or your lying bank account?

That’s not the reality for most of the middle class - just because you or I are better off doesn’t mean the majority are. The latest BLS figures show annualized *real* weekly earnings degraded from 1.4% growth in Dec 2018 to 0% in the most recent report. The WH uses the average hourly wage in its statements which is a BS trick. A lot of people have to be negatively impacted by wage growth/number of hours of work available/inflation to keep figures pegged at or below 1%.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.t01.htm
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:26 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Well considering all the economists were predicting trump's presidency would usher in a new great recession I consider any sort of positive economic news a monster swing from where we were supposed to be at.

Not so fast - 45 boasted at tax cut time that growth of 4, 5, even 6% was coming:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... rcent.html

That was false, as are his current claims he has reduced the wealth gap and presided over the best economy in history.

MSPNWA

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:41 am

Classic straw-grasping from an author who never writes a positive word about Trump and the economy under his administration. Garbage in, garbage out.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:50 am

MSPNWA wrote:
Classic straw-grasping from an author who never writes a positive word about Trump and the economy under his administration. Garbage in, garbage out.

Not liking the author does not invalidate the data. Classic logical fallacy to substitute ad hominem comments for factual response. Do you have other sources of analysis that show these conclusions are incorrect?

I track BLS, Fed-Atlanta and FRED data with regularity and have noticed WH claims are completely overblown for at least the last two years.

alfa164

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:10 am

MSPNWA wrote:

Can you provide any facts or statistics that differ from the author's data... or are you just spewing nonsensical drivel... again...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Pi7472000

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:06 am

Not surprised! Economy is only good for tech workers, CEOs, athletes, and politicians! It is time we demand an end to income inequality and institute a massive tax on the wealthy, upper middle class, and even middle class. Income inequality along with climate chNge is awful and we can change the system through taxes.

seb146

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:20 am

MSPNWA wrote:

That is what we heard for eight years under Obama so what is the big deal?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:22 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
Not surprised! Economy is only good for tech workers, CEOs, athletes, and politicians! It is time we demand an end to income inequality and institute a massive tax on the wealthy, upper middle class, and even middle class. Income inequality along with climate chNge is awful and we can change the system through taxes.

And folks like me (and probably Dfw) in supervisory positions. The BLS data is for nonsupervisory positions - their real wages are basically flat. People above that are doing fine....until layoff time.

SanDiegoLover

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:01 am

seb146 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

For Birther’s Jan 2009 to Jan 2017 doesn’t count.

sccutler

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:25 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:

And folks like me (and probably Dfw) in supervisory positions. The BLS data is for nonsupervisory positions - their real wages are basically flat. People above that are doing fine....until layoff time.

I can tell you that anyone who has tried to hire, for pretty much any position, knows that is bull. Wages are way the hell up, and I certainly don't think it's just in the DFW area, or just in Texas.

My focus is on the construction industry, and there is a desperate shortage of workers in constriction, both skilled trades and new-entrants, and wages are solidly up. Basic laborer work wages (essentially, "fog a mirror" qualifications) have climbed to $16.00-$20.00/ hour, plus benefits - an increase in our area of around $6.00/hour, in the last two years.

From my experience, hiring in-office help, it appears everyone who wants a job has one, and quite a few who'd prefer not to work have jobs, as well, but aren't doing much working.

I cannot speak to the author's statistics, but I can comment on the marketplace.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:37 am

sccutler wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:

I can tell you that anyone who has tried to hire, for pretty much any position, knows that is bull. Wages are way the hell up, and I certainly don't think it's just in the DFW area, or just in Texas.

My focus is on the construction industry, and there is a desperate shortage of workers in constriction, both skilled trades and new-entrants, and wages are solidly up. Basic laborer work wages (essentially, "fog a mirror" qualifications) have climbed to $16.00-$20.00/ hour, plus benefits - an increase in our area of around $6.00/hour, in the last two years.

From my experience, hiring in-office help, it appears everyone who wants a job has one, and quite a few who'd prefer not to work have jobs, as well, but aren't doing much working.

I cannot speak to the author's statistics, but I can comment on the marketplace.

I also hire and of course we are paying more than before, but that isn't the whole story. That's why I said the WH is pulling a fast one when they mention only gains in hourly wage. Many economists think statute wages have to double their current growth for actual lifestyle gains to be made. That's why I mentioned real wages, and not literal wages.

According to BLS, hourly earnings were up about 3.5% YoY end of 2018 and 3% YoY end of 2019. Hourly wage growth has not kept pace with inflation and major cost of living items in the CPI-U, and that's why real wages were respectively 1.4% YoY and 0% in the same periods. Also over the same period the average hours worked in a week has continued its two-year slide.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.t02.htm

tommy1808

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:48 am

stl07 wrote:
Does that have to do with Trump though? Isn't the international economy stagnating a little bit anyway? That being said, it still doesn't give him the excuse to pretend like he is a massive economy booster like a does.

Its Trump stagnating the global economy, so he may be one of the very few presidents that actually impacted the economy.

So, US net "growth" is now minus 3%!

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

WIederling

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:13 am

stl07 wrote:

Trump definitely owns the trade wars. You think those are without consequence?
IMU in the US small businesses that do value add to imported parts ( like assembling custom push bikes )
are the hardest hit by Trumps war on China by way of IMPORT duties levied.

I don't get the "China, China, China" screaming up front. the retail chain earns quite a bit more
from cheap imported stuff than from local produce.
Murphy is an optimist

einsteinboricua

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:37 pm

stl07 wrote:
Does that have to do with Trump though?

Two things:
1. If he claims credit for the economy, then it's all or nothing, which means his boasts will be scrutinized, especially if he slammed Obama for sluggish growth (though in 2016 you'd think we were in the middle of a depression with the way they spoke about the economy).
2. Since he signed the tax cuts as an instrument to boost growth, he essentially tied his name to any performance with the economy. That means that if the economy falls short of his projections, he has to accept blame.

Sometimes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And this is not even taking into account the tariffs imposed on countries all over.

Pi7472000 wrote:

Uh-huh...so tax people who are successful (minus politicians...) and worked hard to get where they are because others decided to study something irrelevant (or not even go to school at all) and are stuck making minimum wage. Classic case of "I want what you have without putting the effort into it". This is why that position in a general election will ensure a Trump win, because even though everyone acknowledges an income inequality, taxing people who made the right choices in life to bail out those who didn't is a sure way to get people to vote against you.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

alfa164

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:13 pm

seb146 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

As we say in Texas, that poster is "All hat, no cattle"...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

LCDFlight

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:31 pm

sccutler wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:

Border enforcement has a huge effect on blue collar wages. And most voters are blue collar.

tommy1808

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:55 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
sccutler wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Border enforcement has a huge effect on blue collar wages. And most voters are blue collar.

It also effects available blue collar Jobs... more border enforcement = fewer jobs.
And of course we are not seeing that. Average blue collar wages have increased at the same speed (0.67%/year) as in average in the last 20 years (0.66%/year), and 2017/2018 performed worse than under the Obama presidency tail end.

Best regards
Thomas

zakuivcustom

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:14 pm

WIederling wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Trump definitely owns the trade wars. You think those are without consequence?
IMU in the US small businesses that do value add to imported parts ( like assembling custom push bikes )
are the hardest hit by Trumps war on China by way of IMPORT duties levied.

I don't get the "China, China, China" screaming up front. the retail chain earns quite a bit more

I'll add on - the trade war is MORE than China. Trump basically pick fight with every single countries in the world, including "allies" (i.e. European countries, South Korea, Japan)...ok, everyone except Russia.

Remember, Trump threaten tariff on European cars (Which certainly doesn't help German economy and if anything, make Europe more "China friendly"), throw out NAFTA and only replace it with an agreement that's 99% the same. He also went on tirade about South Korea not paying their due with regards to everything from import to military presence. Trump's policy is call "America Alone" for a reason.

As far as Trump policy goes, yes, the tax cut did stimulate some growth, but we all know all tax cuts does is spending future money now, the debt be damn. Somebody will eventually have to pay for that, and when the due time comes, it'll be bigly.

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:22 pm

MSPNWA wrote:

Straw grasping = standard KPIs? Are we not supposed to believe the numbers again? I can't keep track. I know they were fake when Obama was President but they were real when Trump was inaugurated--are they fake again?

trpmb6 wrote:

We were supposed to be rescued from the depths of the Obama worst economy ever by the guy that could bankrupt an inheritance, but the economy seems to be doing about the same if not slightly worse, *with* trillions in new debt and multiple rate cuts, so wha-ha-happen?
I don't take responsibility at all

WIederling

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:52 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
We were supposed to be rescued from the depths of the Obama worst economy ever by the guy that could bankrupt an inheritance, but the economy seems to be doing about the same if not slightly worse, *with* trillions in new debt and multiple rate cuts, so wha-ha-happen?

POTUS is irrelevant?
those leading from behind hold the reigns. :-))
Murphy is an optimist

mham001

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:36 pm

WIederling wrote:

And this attitude is exactly why China is well on it's way to owning (as just one example) one of Europe's manufacturing jewels - the auto industry. You should just lay down and accept Chinese domination, they will soon own you.

The trade war with China is much, much more than cheap trinkets. That you fail to grasp that....

....this is an opportune time to face China. Trump is the only president or leader anywhere in the world who has had the tenacity to do so.

WIederling

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:59 pm

mham001 wrote:
That you fail to grasp that....

Your view is driven by "hammer in hand, every problem is a nail" thinking.

The US has sold out from greed.
I don't think that Trump has a chance of reclaiming what has been squandered.
The methodology used requires to be more destructive by the year.
Losing allies left and right due to only the whip and subversion being left as tools.
Murphy is an optimist

CitizenJustin

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:51 pm

[quote="MSPNWA"]Classic straw-grasping from an author who never writes a positive word about Trump and the economy under his administration. Garbage in, garbage out.[/quote

You deny negative(truthful) reporting of Trump, but gleefully accept complete BS way too easily. Wonder why that is? Do you know you’re partisan, do you know you’re biased? First step to recovery is admitting what you are. How any adult could accept a president that’s proven to have over 14,000 lies on record is incomprehensible to me.

tommy1808

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:31 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

How any adult could accept a president that’s proven to have over 14,000 lies on record is incomprehensible to me.

Adults? Most elementary school kids quickly learn not to believe people that lied to them a couple of times. Having a fairly shaky grasp on the difference between reality, daydream, wishes, fantasies, and fears is for the 2 to 4 year old.

Of course kids usually don´t avoid contrary information that much....

best regards
Thomas

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:39 am

tommy1808 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

How any adult could accept a president that’s proven to have over 14,000 lies on record is incomprehensible to me.

Adults? Most elementary school kids quickly learn not to believe people that lied to them a couple of times. Having a fairly shaky grasp on the difference between reality, daydream, wishes, fantasies, and fears is for the 2 to 4 year old.

Of course kids usually don´t avoid contrary information that much....

best regards
Thomas

This is different though - these are lies bolstered by the emotional investment legions of people have already made into believing them, at any cost. Admitting being wrong takes more courage than continuing to defend the lies.

Jerseyguy

Sat May 23, 2020 8:07 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:

Institute a massive tax on the MIDDLE CLASS? Any desire I had to even entertain your message about income inequality just went right out the window.

stratosphere

Sat May 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:

Are you for real ?? Take out middle class out of that equation we already support too many in this country we make the rich more wealthy and are taxed to death to support the poor and those who don't want to work.

Tugger

Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:

Are you for real ?? Take out middle class out of that equation we already support too many in this country we make the rich more wealthy and are taxed to death to support the poor and those who don't want to work.

The middle class needs to grow and expand. The wealth divide, the fact that many people think they deserve more money and that the poorer people aren't performing valuable tasks or have important skills and so deserve to be paid less and not earn a good living or be able to save etc.

The wealth divide, gap, whatever is why we "the wealthy" bear the majority of the tax burden. If the wealth were better spread (not by government handouts) across the population so would the tax burden. But having an income stream in the high six figures still doesn't feel like enough, and then add in the "I earned it!" mentality along with those same people not believing that someone working full-time digging ditches or flipping burgers or answering phones "earns" or deserves $15-$20+ wages and health benefits at least. And with that thinking you can't do anything to reduce the over reliance on us to pay the majority if the taxes for the nation. For some reason think these people ALL just want to mooch of others, that they don't work hard, or want to work hard, or want to succeed. They can only see the very few people that are highlighted to be like that, and expand it to everyone to justify an unfair belief.

Me? I support capitalism, I support good solid wages for people, I support health care and completely affordable access to such for most everyone. I support this because people at the bottom and middle wage tiers spend money faster which helps significantly improve the economy (I've said it many times: velocity of money). And the healthier the population, the faster a sick or injured person recovers, the faster they can return to being productive, and fewer of the rest of the population is trapped caring for an unwell family member (why do you think wealthy people can continue to work and produce at their peak even when they have someone that is a significant burden in their care?)

Of course these are my opinions and thinking, you may feel differently. But I do argue for these points and do vote and support public efforts for these.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey