Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dieuwer
Topic Author

SECOND Viral outbreak in China: H5N1 Bird Flu!

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:05 pm

Looks like China got another problem on their hands: a H5N1 Bird Flu outbreak in Hunan.

"China Culls 18,000 Chickens After H5N1 Bird Flu Cases in Hunan". https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-in-hunan

Food inflation is now approaching 20%. Combined with massive liquidity injections by the PBOC, hyperinflation could become a reality. If that happens, the Chinese economy will be beyond screwed.

LabQuest

Re: SECOND Viral outbreak in China: H5N1 Bird Flu!

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:27 pm

Best cure for global warming ever.

Fewer humans, fewer impacts.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 pm

you know it's not easily transferrable to humans.

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:59 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
you know it's not easily transferrable to humans.

Not yet it's not. When the outbreak was happening, the fear was that it could mutate or combined with another flu variant that's easily transmissible and spark a pandemic.

I don't think coronavirus and flu viruses can combine, but then again, I'm not a doctor and can't speak for it. And it's not farfetched to see a combined virus emerge so...yeah.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:00 pm

LabQuest wrote:

Thank you for volunteering. Please, after you.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TWA772LR

Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:10 pm

#flushot
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

zakuivcustom

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:28 am

H5N1 at least the strain in Hunan doesn't affect human.

It's still not good news for Chinese food supply, though - Pork is already affected as there was an outbreak of African Swine Flu in China; if Chicken is further affected also, Chinese will literally have to eat grass.

mrgrtt123

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:28 am

Oh no China is having a tough time right now with this back to back issues.

Francoflier

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:12 am

LabQuest wrote:

None of these outbreaks significantly increase the overall global mortality rate. In fact, even the worst epidemics of the last few decades (Ebola, Sars, Mers, Avian flu, Swine flu, etc) barely register at all.

The normal and seasonal flu virus kills orders of magnitude more than any of these every year, let alone malaria, malnutrition, pollution, lack of hygiene or basic healthcare, smoking, road accidents and countless more.

These outbreaks are nothing to laugh at, but require a bit of pragmatism and rational thinking.
Unfortunately, they're a great way to scare people into buying newspapers (at least metaphorically), and the constant media hammering and lack of a rational presentation of the facts causes mass panic and hysteria.

The World has been dealing with disease outbreaks for ages, and will continue to do so forever. More so in fact as there are more humans living ever closer o each other in a warming World. We all die of something, and a coronavirus or whatever disease China somehow manages to unleash every year is way down the risk ladder...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Jouhou

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 am

Guys, we have pre-approved vaccines for H5N1. We just approved a new one yesterday. If it jumped from chickens to humans, we could stop it fast.
情報

WIederling

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Guys, we have pre-approved vaccines for H5N1. We just approved a new one yesterday. If it jumped from chickens to humans, we could stop it fast.

If starts to jump it will be a new strain, won't it?
Murphy is an optimist

CitizenJustin

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:01 pm

LabQuest wrote:

Of course the situation isn’t impacting your life or killing your loved ones, so you feel free to make smartass comments. I doubt you’d have the same opinion if the situation was reversed. People are always fine with situations like this AS LONG as it isn’t happening to them.

Jouhou

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:56 pm

WIederling wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

If starts to jump it will be a new strain, won't it?

No, if it's still H5N1, it's still H5N1. Influenza A viruses have always been zoonotic, they aren't species specific although a particular lineage might be better adapted to certain hosts (which is why we call it bird flu). It's like how H1N1 infects a number of species (especially the current lineage is readily and easily passed back and forth between pigs and humans) and so does H3N2. Btw the original human H1N1 lineage went extinct when it was displaced by the "swine flu" lineage.
情報

Iloveboeing

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

It's still not good news for Chinese food supply, though - Pork is already affected as there was an outbreak of African Swine Flu in China; if Chicken is further affected also, Chinese will literally have to eat grass.

From what I experienced when I lived in China, it appeared that, counting only land-based animals in the food supply, pork was definitely the number one meat consumed by the Chinese, followed by chicken as number two. We should also remember that seafood is primary in the Chinese food supply, especially in the coastal regions where I lived, such as Hong Kong and Qingdao. So, the Chinese eat a lot of all three, but maybe they could increase their beef production/imports. I've heard that most Chinese people avoid beef because (1) they don't like it or (2) it's too expensive.

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:23 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

From what I experienced when I lived in China, it appeared that, counting only land-based animals in the food supply, pork was definitely the number one meat consumed by the Chinese, followed by chicken as number two. We should also remember that seafood is primary in the Chinese food supply, especially in the coastal regions where I lived, such as Hong Kong and Qingdao. So, the Chinese eat a lot of all three, but maybe they could increase their beef production/imports. I've heard that most Chinese people avoid beef because (1) they don't like it or (2) it's too expensive.

I am from HK, so I know all about Chinese consumption of pork. It is still 60% of the meat consumption. There is a reason, for awhile, price of pork actually dominate the headline in mainland, more than even things like HK protest.

Chicken is next in line, though.

I did forgot about the seafood part though - not just along the coast but along the rivers also.

This was from 2018:
https://www.caixinglobal.com/2018-10-12 ... 34433.html

maint123

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:24 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomb ... obank-says
China is getting a spate of viruses this year. Its strange and is it all somehow connected ?
Probably just bad luck but losing half your pig supply and then getting this new virus in the space of a few months ?
Hope they haven't taken a leaf out of the British mad cow disease and started feeding their livestock remains of their own dead animals ?

zakuivcustom

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:51 pm

https://www.facebook.com/standnewshk/po ... 6752955593

Per Stand News HK, there is actually an avian flu cases confirmed in HK. It's a 7 years old that had been to a chicken farm in Shenzhen, though (In another word, really close contact with animals).