Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sonicruiser
Topic Author

What are you worrying about right now?

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 pm

Just curious what kind of everyday problems people here are thinking about right now
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

Dutchy

Re: What are you worrying about right now?

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:22 pm

Had my wisdom teeth taken out today, so........pain.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

casinterest

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm

If Betelgeuse goes Supernova, should i have Champagne on hand?
Where ever you go, there you are.

NIKV69

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:45 pm

Will the Raiders get Brady and then maybe Edelman?
I am the Googlizer!!!

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:01 pm

let a 15 year client go, for lack of payment, i consider them family, and it was really hard to do. They dug themselves in a hole and i tried to carry them as much as i could. They wrote me today and thanked me and also they considered me family. this sucks

NIKV69

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:05 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
let a 15 year client go, for lack of payment, i consider them family, and it was really hard to do. They dug themselves in a hole and i tried to carry them as much as i could. They wrote me today and thanked me and also they considered me family. this sucks

That is the toughest. Could you put them on a payment plan?
I am the Googlizer!!!

NWAESC

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:20 pm

I injured my knee a few weeks ago. Wondering if my recovery is on track.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Jouhou

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Wondering why my employer can't do more than the bare minimum for meeting regulations to keep our facilities sanitary, I have my second cold in 3 weeks. We keep getting sick too often. Not enough sick time to stay out of work and not infect others. It's lame.
情報

CitizenJustin

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Horrible. I’m worried about the $1000 root canal I just had. Welcome to America.

BN747

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:32 pm

America's future...and will it rain at the beach over the weekend?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Arion640

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

You’ve likely done the right thing if you’ve done all you can.

sbworcs

Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:43 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Horrible. I’m worried about the $1000 root canal I just had. Welcome to America.

I would be worried about that too! I had a root canal in the UK at an NHS dentist (perfectly carried out and completed) for less that $100
The best way forwards is upwards!

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:17 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
let a 15-year client go, for lack of payment, I consider them family, and it was really hard to do. They dug themselves in a hole and I tried to carry them as much as i could. They wrote to me today and thanked me and also they considered us family. this sucks

That is the toughest. Could you put them on a payment plan?
They were three months behind. I set what they owed aside last August and asked them to just stay current. When things picked up they could pay off the first balance. They started falling behind again in Nov, and by Jan they were three months behind again.

most of my clients have big money, so the slow down our industry has at times, doesn't hurt them. This client, has always struggled, she has limited funds and when there is a slowdown, she's starts stealing from peter to pay paul. I was at two of her property signing her foreclosure acceptance papers since she lives out of state. She probably needs to file for bankruptcy asap to save her properties. I am sure I will be listed as one of her creditors.

WesternDC6B

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:05 pm

Not so much worried, but, watching carefully. I had non-surgical treatment for prostate cancer over a two year period. Radiation and hormone therapy. PSA is at 0.2 fifteen months after last hormone shot. Fingers crossed. Also monitoring CLL, but it’s been stable for years.

Bette Davis was right: getting old is not for sissies.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

northstardc4m

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:02 am

Me> Worrying??? Yea big time about doing my taxes... They are going to be screwy this year because investments got changed around... :flamed:

Otherwise... going through post-vacay downses... Apres Cruise is always a downer :crazy:

And US politics is getting annoyingly prevalent on TV again, even Canadian TV, wish it would just go away.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:20 am

I am worried about the state of our morality when we have people defending the greatest habitual liar in US History, defending lies with with more lies. Untruths with more untruths and committing the greatest cover up in this century.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Cadet985

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:02 am

I’m worried about never finding a job or female companionship.

Marc

ParkFSI

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 am

I worry about my friends, family and me driving in central Texas traffic these days. I think they give out drivers license in Cracker Jack box’s now.
Thread killer

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:48 am

Cadet985 wrote:

Marc

Did you try lowering your standards? It makes both things easier to find.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

WesternDC6B

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:54 am

ParkFSI wrote:
I worry about my friends, family and me driving in central Texas traffic these days. I think they give out drivers license in Cracker Jack box’s now.

That’s everywhere now. Only the vehicles are different.

In Los Angeles it will be ancient Sentras driven by people who speak one phrase in English: “no churance!”

In central Texas it’s a Ford King Ranch dually with not a sign of having been used for actual work. They are either tailgating you, or are parked diagonally across two parking spaces at the grocery store.

In Portland it’s a Subaru Forester with a Coexist sticker and a cat lady at the wheel.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

mrgrtt123

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:20 am

I worrying that I buy things that I want rather than what I need.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:40 am

I worry about my daughter driving...every time she leaves. Not because of her driving, she really is a good driver for 17. But, she does lack experience, and there are too many morons out there.

I'm worried that, next week, when I have surgery to clean up a small tear in the meniscus of my right knee, the doctor will find my cancer has returned, even though I know that eventuality is highly improbable.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

B777LRF

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:57 am

The 20-year old son of my girlfriend who's been sitting on his arse for the last 2 years. He refuses to start any type of education, and can't even pull himself together to start looking for a job. Now the prospects for 20-year old who's done SFA for 2 years and only has a grammar school education are slim to none, but he simply can't get it through his head that he's a grown up and need to take responsibility. He stays out with friends until the early hours, then sleeps to the other side of noon.

We (his parents and their other half) did an intervention last night, and laid out the new rules; until such time he pulls himself together he'll be employed as the unpaid house slave. All cleaning duties will fall on him, including the toilets; he'll do the shopping, the laundry and iron my shirts. He'll help with the cooking, do the dishes, polish the windows, do the vacuuming and floor washing. He'll do the gardening, run errands, wash the car, polish my bicycle and be in a perpetual cycle of endless repeats. He will start working at 09:00 every weekday, which was perhaps the biggest shock. He told us he has an appointment tomorrow with a mate at 13:00, to which the reply was "you're working, if you're done you may leave otherwise you'll have to cancel". Oh, almost forgot to add, he'll be paid the total sum of f. all for his efforts. Roof over his head and food in his belly will be all he get. If he fails to do this he's been told he'll find somewhere else to live and figure out what it means to be a self-supporting adult.

He's my only real worry at the moment, and if he doesn't pull himself together and go get an education his future is absolutely FUBAR'd.

Motivational suggestions welcome, the harsher the better. Sadly we can't force him to enrol in the armed forces, but the idea was pushed very hard.
Signature. You just read one.

Max Q

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:20 am

The end of the United States

I believe we’re already past the point of no return
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

N14AZ

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:28 am

I am really concerned about this era of populism we are living in. It seems as if history is repeating itself.

I am also concerned that people forget about the cruelty of war. New generations are no longer emotionally connected to let’s say WW II and there are discussions in Germany to reduce the history lessons about WW II. Today it’s just a trade war, an outburst on Twitter but who knows, in some generations someone will say „hey, don’t we have all these tanks and fighter jets? Why not use them“

B777LRF wrote:
The 20-year old son of my girlfriend who's been sitting on his arse for the last 2 years.

Wow, I really would have problems to accept such a behavior. We have such boys in Germany as well and I hate that I have to pay for their unemployment payments with my taxes.

Dutchy wrote:

I wish you a speedy recovery! Had one removed out of my lower jar several years ago. Mining works in my mouth. Was great fun... :-/

Ahh, and I forgot one point: I just converted my heating from fuel oil to natural gas. I am concerned that the US-sanctions on Nordstream II will lead to higher heating cost for me. It’s logical. So thank you USA, thank you.

lugie

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 am

Current main worries?

Passing my last exams and finding appropriate data sources to write a thesis and graduate from university. Also, making a long distance relationship work.

Longer-term worries?

Future employability, the rise of populism and overt racism in my home country and the home countries of my friends abroad. The looming climate catastrophy and resulting conflicts, currently making me rather convinced that I don't ever want to have any kids. They would have to bear the brunt of it and I think it's irresponsible to drop them into such a world.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

Braybuddy

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:17 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Just curious what kind of everyday problems people here are thinking about right now

Interesting thread, and curious that a lot of posters don't seem to have read your question properly.

My everyday problem today would be trying to (literally) getting my house in order for a housguest from the UK tomorrow. I've had some work done on two rooms and the place has been even more of a mess than usual. It's now a race against time to get it looking respectable by tomorrow morning.

Also, trying to get rid of a mouse which refuses to go near the bait in the mousetrap. He destroyed a delicious cake last week, and last night he nibbled into a packet of dried pasta and a sachet of soup I'd left on the kitchen worktop. HE HAS TO GO BY TOMORROW!!!!! :banghead:

T18

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:24 pm

Only thing I've got currently is if I will be able to get a better schedule bid for march.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Aaron747

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Cadet985 wrote:

Marc

These things are completely within your control to solve provided you have not given up. If you have, you need to admit it to yourself and make other arrangements for how you plan to live life. Learning to code or crunch statistics would be a start...and can be learned from home.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:35 pm

B777LRF wrote:
The 20-year old son of my girlfriend who's been sitting on his arse for the last 2 years. He refuses to start any type of education, and can't even pull himself together to start looking for a job. Now the prospects for 20-year old who's done SFA for 2 years and only has a grammar school education are slim to none, but he simply can't get it through his head that he's a grown up and need to take responsibility. He stays out with friends until the early hours, then sleeps to the other side of noon.

We (his parents and their other half) did an intervention last night, and laid out the new rules; until such time he pulls himself together he'll be employed as the unpaid house slave. All cleaning duties will fall on him, including the toilets; he'll do the shopping, the laundry and iron my shirts. He'll help with the cooking, do the dishes, polish the windows, do the vacuuming and floor washing. He'll do the gardening, run errands, wash the car, polish my bicycle and be in a perpetual cycle of endless repeats. He will start working at 09:00 every weekday, which was perhaps the biggest shock. He told us he has an appointment tomorrow with a mate at 13:00, to which the reply was "you're working, if you're done you may leave otherwise you'll have to cancel". Oh, almost forgot to add, he'll be paid the total sum of f. all for his efforts. Roof over his head and food in his belly will be all he get. If he fails to do this he's been told he'll find somewhere else to live and figure out what it means to be a self-supporting adult.

He's my only real worry at the moment, and if he doesn't pull himself together and go get an education his future is absolutely FUBAR'd.

Motivational suggestions welcome, the harsher the better. Sadly we can't force him to enrol in the armed forces, but the idea was pushed very hard.

A friend of mine was in a rut like that when we were in university about 20 years ago. His parents had a novel approach that ended up pretty successful as he turned shit around in a half year’s time: they paid him $250/month to be the same style of household slave with one caveat: any failure whatsoever resulted in a $25 hit for each infraction. In the first couple months he ended up with basically nothing. By the third month he was in a routine and established a bit of discipline, especially after his mom said he’d need to sock away AMAP for when he ended up homeless. The routine stuck and he was a functional adult again a couple months later - just needed major change to his lazy ass habits.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Current: wondering if I’m deluding myself that I’m actually improving at bass. Also unable to get to bed before 1, which makes me wonder if that’s a permanent condition since everyone else my age seems to be going to bed earlier than 10 years ago.

Long term: Worried if my beloved wine industry will be decimated by climate change in the next decade

slider

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:21 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
I am worried about the state of our morality when we have people defending the greatest habitual liar in US History, defending lies with with more lies. Untruths with more untruths and committing the greatest cover up in this century.

I bet you're fun at parties.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:59 pm

slider wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I bet you're fun at parties.

I have been told that by my Wife, not in a complimentary way either. ;) ;)
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

noviorbis77

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:11 pm

I was worried in December that we have had a socialist government in the UK, but voters applied common sense.

What worries me now, England not doing well in the European Championships this summer.

B777LRF

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Wow, I really would have problems to accept such a behavior. We have such boys in Germany as well and I hate that I have to pay for their unemployment payments with my taxes.

I've had to bite my tongue more times than I care to remember.

But neither I nor anybody else needs to worry about subsiding him over their taxes. He did go see the authorities asking for welfare, and they told him that would only happen if he embarks on an education. Otherwise he was free to bugger off and get a job.
Signature. You just read one.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:01 am

Max Q wrote:
The end of the United States

I believe we’re already past the point of no return

Do the years 1812, 1862, 1929 ring any bells? Damned near lost the country during Mr. Madison’s War. The South was outright winning in ‘62. Unemployment was headed toward 25% in ‘29. We have low employment; general contentment in polls, we’ve never lived better and you’re sayin’ its over? Drama Queen stuff there.

The best indicator of US future is we can afford to have idiots running the government.

LMP737

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:19 am

Just bought a house last year. Worried about another crash. Took it in the shorts the last time it happened. Short sale on my previous house was 55% lower than what I paid for it. Credit took a hit, at one point it was in the low 800. Now it's in the low 700's. Yes, I know it's better than most but still.

I know people will say it will never happen again but I see some of the same things happening now that happened before.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737

Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Do the years 1812, 1862, 1929 ring any bells? Damned near lost the country during Mr. Madison’s War. The South was outright winning in ‘62. Unemployment was headed toward 25% in ‘29. We have low employment; general contentment in polls, we’ve never lived better and you’re sayin’ its over? Drama Queen stuff there.

The best indicator of US future is we can afford to have idiots running the government.

You're leaving the crumbling infrastructure, soaring medical costs, exploding budget deficits, un-affordable higher education and a seemingly never ending war off the list. Other than that, everything is awesome!

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 am

Good for you! Insulting people is no way win an argument or friends which is why the country is so divided.

Exactly what has happened? The Left likes to portray Trump as Hitler clone bent on upending constitutional rule. Hitler within 30 days of a democratic election had emergency law passed giving him sole power and eliminating the Reichstag’s power. Here the Democrats took power in the House and impeached him. Is there any parallel there?

Other than passing a tax cut bill, he campaigned on, renegotiating NAFTA and pissing people, foreign and domestic off, what rights have been trampled on, what economic collapse predicted by the likes of Krugman happened? Has he actually ignored the courts? None of it. The Republic will continue on.

Trump’s a mostly caddish, ignorant of bureaucratic procedure and niceties, more than usual for a politician narcissist. The Versailles on the Potomac needed some shaking up; it’ll go back to its normal corrupt ways in 2021 or 2025. Trump’s no more or less corrupt than the parade that normally inhabits Washington, just more over-the-top about it.

The sun will rise on Jan 20, 2021 and who won the election will take office. The idea he’ll refuse to leave is just silly. Especially considering the Democrats have spent most of the current century denying two Republicans any legitimacy of office. Is that it-if the Democrat doesn’t win it’s an illegitimate election?

Oh yes, the Democrats praise the Constitution until it interferes with them winning.

BTW, I didn’t vote for him. In fact, voting only encourages the bastards, so I abstain.
Last edited by GalaxyFlyer on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:50 am

LMP737 wrote:
Just bought a house last year. Worried about another crash. Took it in the shorts the last time it happened. Short sale on my previous house was 55% lower than what I paid for it. Credit took a hit, at one point it was in the low 800. Now it's in the low 700's. Yes, I know it's better than most but still.

I know people will say it will never happen again but I see some of the same things happening now that happened before.

Let me guess, California?

As to crumbling infrastructure, how’s that “shovel ready” Obama plan working out.

Yes, exploding deficits. They’re arriving from the Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid programs, not discretionary spending. Has any Congress or President of either party tried reform—no, not when they can bludgeon the other party with throwing grandma over the cliff.

What do you propose on college? It’s mostly a upper middle-class problem. Not many lower income people going to Harvard for a basket waving degree.

Flaps

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:12 am

I'm fortunate. Not worried about a damn thing. I practice non-attachment, live simply, mind my own business and don't try to impose my will, viewpoints, opinions or values on anyone else. I take care of me and mine and leave that of others to the others.

LMP737

Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:20 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Nope, Chicagoland area. In fact the same house sold two years ago for 50K less than what I paid for it in 2003. Market still has not recovered in that part of IL.
Note, I no longer live in Illinois.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
As to crumbling infrastructure, how’s that “shovel ready” Obama plan working out.

Oh, you mean the infrastructure programs Mitch McConnell blocked every chance he got in his quest to make a Obama a one term president. See, two can play that game.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:14 am

LMP737 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Nope, Chicagoland area. In fact the same house sold two years ago for 50K less than what I paid for it in 2003. Market still has not recovered in that part of IL.
Note, I no longer live in Illinois.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Oh, you mean the infrastructure programs Mitch McConnell blocked every chance he got in his quest to make a Obama a one term president. See, two can play that game.

Yes, the blue state strikes again

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicag ... utType=amp

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:22 am

Trump has been pushing school choice reform, signed sentencing reform, has the best polling among African-Americans of every recent Republican presidential candidate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... f_amp=true

Zogby Analytics is normally a Democrat leaning polling firm. 22% black support in November and some blue states become competitive.

yonahleung

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:16 am

I am worried about running out of masks before the Coronavirus outbreak ends. I am in Hong Kong and someone from my building (of more than 1000 flats) and the building next to mine are both subject to household quarantine.

DL717

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:54 am

Nothing.

Life is way too short.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

CaptHadley

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:08 am

DL717 wrote:
Nothing.

Life is way too short.

At your age I completely agree.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:15 am

Just got a rejection letter from yet another job application, and with my colleague just handing in his resignation, it's clear that my manager is highly incompetent and work is a chore. I've sent almost 800 applications in the last year alone and not one of them stick. Self doubt is creeping in, as I see friends and former colleagues move on to bigger & better things.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

afcjets

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:33 pm

WarRI1 wrote:

Rather than worry about Trump lying about making the world's greatest vodka perhaps look to what the two biggest threats leaders in your party are worried about. They are worried Barr and Durham are going to expose the illegal spying and framing of a presidential candidate and president at the highest levels of the justice department of the previous administration, so even though impeachment was a certain failure which hurt them politically, it kept the likely real crimes out of the news cycle until they can come up with something else. They are also worried about Bernie Sanders who is likely to win the DNC.
They act shocked enough young people actually believe all the stuff they have been force feeding them their entire lives. Or worry that Bernie could actually beat Trump and what that actually could mean for this country, the reality, not your ideological fantasy.

LMP737

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:22 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Well I did move to another blue state.

Red state strikes again.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... worm-wrong