Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtw2hyd

Re: How would you solve the Kashmir conflict?

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Question, why is it that Indians in the U.S. whether US citizens or Indian nationals seem to universally hate the current Indian government? Like, it seems everyone hates Modi. Who the hell is voting in India's elections then? Is it just an education thing since most of the Indians we see in the U.S. are well educated?

Indians, in general, have a very forgiving mindset. If you lost $50K and your Indian friend lost $40K on the same bet, Indian friend doesn't feel bad, he/she is happy that you lost more. Always looks for the sliver of positive even in a bad situation.

This mindset is very easy to manipulate, particularly by someone like Modi and Shah. They will do any thing to get few votes and keep power.

As a practicing Hindu, Modi is doing more to the Hindu religion than anybody else in the entire history. Keep in mind Hinduism survived brutal Muslim rulers and British rule for centuries. Yes, some Muslim rulers demolished temples and others tried and trying to convert. But no one could destroy it, and it doesn't need a savior.
All posts are just opinions.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Correction: Modi is doing more damage to the Hindu religion

aarbee

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Sokes wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Question, why is it that Indians in the U.S. whether US citizens or Indian nationals seem to universally hate the current Indian government? Like, it seems everyone hates Modi. Who the hell is voting in India's elections then? Is it just an education thing since most of the Indians we see in the U.S. are well educated?

Skip this post if not interested in these questions.

Interesting questions. As I have never been to the US I'm not qualified to answer your first question. I still have some crude assumptions.

People born in the US may be too liberal to like Modi's past. What critics of his past fail to realize is that he is neither paranoid nor sadistic. I am 70% confident that he doesn't hate Muslims. I believe he's indifferent to them. In short he is attractive for those Indians who admire a "strong man", but at the same time he is not dangerous. I call him the Indian Khrushchev.

Modi pulled of some major reforms. I think his enemies think twice if they should try to organize inner party opposition. I doubt he could have done these reforms without his past.

Demonetarisation was an interruption in the economy. People suffered, but rich people suffered more. Somebody with a welding workshop wanted to build a house. He told me demonetarisation cost him 300.000 Rs/ 4300 $. He further said: "No problem, the rich lost 3 Mio or 30 Mio Rs."
His house got ready last year, 3 years late.

Earlier small industries would sell their products in cash. Now maybe 90% or so is sold with bill and VAT = Goods and Service Tax (GST). If your main expenditure is food, you are not affected. But cars and air conditioning attracted 28% (now reduced to 19%). I have seen infrastructure projects earlier. Mostly they were financed by World Bank or Japanese Development Bank credit. Let's say 2% interest and 30 years maturity or so. Now there is huge infrastructure building with foreign as well as tax money. I personally say India before GST was a joke, now it's a proper country.

Central elections were in April/ May 2019. In January mood was not very in favour of Modi. But in February there was an attack on a bus of the central reserve police force in Kashmir. 44 police man died. Some minor military action with Pakistan followed. The nationalist sentiment however was not minor. How do you unite a people? Have a common enemy.

With so much tax money the central government can afford subsidies for housing. In small towns people knock down their clay house and build concrete structures. Ventilation afterwards is worse than before. But living in a RCC structure symbolizes having escaped poverty.

Traffic in cities is a catastrophy. Chicago type urban trains with the name "metro" were built in very few very big cities earlier. Under Modi lot of cities started construction.

Then there is a scheme in which women got a free gas cylinder. Cooking on a wood stove in the monsoon sucks. Similar if guests come and one wants to offer a cup of tea it is nerving if one has to start a fire first. I recently saw a poster at a petrol pump of Modi giving a gas cyclinder to a smiling Muslim woman.
I can't find that poster in the internet. However I found a similar picture on the Prime Minister's website:
source: https://www.pmindia.gov.in/en/news_upda ... rget-date/
Can you imagine a picture of Hitler donating something smilingly to an orthodox Jew? Forget the Hitler comparisons. Read about Krushchev.

Then there is economic policy. Earlier the government would give coal blocks to political friends. To avoid money influencing future elections it was important to starve the old donors. The supreme court decided that coal block allocation was illegal. Coal power plants sat next to coal fields. But they weren't allowed to use this coal any more and there was no railway either. Modi waited till a lot of power plants went into insolvency/ changed owner. Recently coal blocks were auctioned.
The mobile provider Jio from Mukesh Ambani was greatly and unfair preferred by Modi. Basically all other cellular service provider are bankrupt or close to it. But with the exception of Jio the government today works with auctions. And recently the government made a decision which harmed Jio more than the competitors. It's contradicting evidence, I'm not sure what to believe. I don't think any politician in India can do without some money from business friends. But if the improvement is 70%, I shall be quite satisfied. In other words: Are auctions the rule or the exception?

"If you have one million Rs debt with your bank, that's your problem. If you have 1 billion Rs debt with the bank, that's the banks problem."
Earlier political connected businessmen would not pay back their credit or would get the credit evergreened. Products were sold without bill, so a businessman could extract huge wealth from the company. Insolvency law was changed. Some big fish are getting fried. Credit moral has greatly improved.

Even though we are in recession, the amount of non performing assets in public sector banks has fallen strongly the last 1,5 years. In any other country I would say that I don't believe statistics which I didn't fake myself. But then the surplus value of labor is shameless. (Lot's of poverty, many SUVs). I believe businessmen start respecting the law. Many industries are affected by recession at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if doubtful credits do get evergreened at the moment. I have no evidence for this assumption. But I believe that there was a great change in culture and that evergreening, if done as emergency measure, is not meant to stay for good.

If one has a knee operation, one can't participate in a race one week later. The reforms are serious disturbances in the way the Indian economy works. Nevertheless they are necessary. Any politician without the "halo of dominance" would have committed political suicide by touching one of them.
Even if people are not doing too well: Some will appreciate the change in infrastructure, some will appreciate that a strong man shows the rich their place, women enjoy the comfort of a gas stove, some ordinary people can afford to rebuild their house, I admire the reforms.

But I don't know why US Indians don't like him.

A good summary. Thank you.
Love the AIXes

BawliBooch

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:14 am

Sokes wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Skip this post if not interested in these questions.

Interesting questions. As I have never been to the US I'm not qualified to answer your first question. I still have some crude assumptions.

People born in the US may be too liberal to like Modi's past. What critics of his past fail to realize is that he is neither paranoid nor sadistic. I am 70% confident that he doesn't hate Muslims. I believe he's indifferent to them. In short he is attractive for those Indians who admire a "strong man", but at the same time he is not dangerous. I call him the Indian Khrushchev.

Modi pulled of some major reforms. I think his enemies think twice if they should try to organize inner party opposition. I doubt he could have done these reforms without his past.

Demonetarisation was an interruption in the economy. People suffered, but rich people suffered more. Somebody with a welding workshop wanted to build a house. He told me demonetarisation cost him 300.000 Rs/ 4300 $. He further said: "No problem, the rich lost 3 Mio or 30 Mio Rs."
His house got ready last year, 3 years late.

Earlier small industries would sell their products in cash. Now maybe 90% or so is sold with bill and VAT = Goods and Service Tax (GST). If your main expenditure is food, you are not affected. But cars and air conditioning attracted 28% (now reduced to 19%). I have seen infrastructure projects earlier. Mostly they were financed by World Bank or Japanese Development Bank credit. Let's say 2% interest and 30 years maturity or so. Now there is huge infrastructure building with foreign as well as tax money. I personally say India before GST was a joke, now it's a proper country.

Central elections were in April/ May 2019. In January mood was not very in favour of Modi. But in February there was an attack on a bus of the central reserve police force in Kashmir. 44 police man died. Some minor military action with Pakistan followed. The nationalist sentiment however was not minor. How do you unite a people? Have a common enemy.

With so much tax money the central government can afford subsidies for housing. In small towns people knock down their clay house and build concrete structures. Ventilation afterwards is worse than before. But living in a RCC structure symbolizes having escaped poverty.

Traffic in cities is a catastrophy. Chicago type urban trains with the name "metro" were built in very few very big cities earlier. Under Modi lot of cities started construction.

Then there is a scheme in which women got a free gas cylinder. Cooking on a wood stove in the monsoon sucks. Similar if guests come and one wants to offer a cup of tea it is nerving if one has to start a fire first. I recently saw a poster at a petrol pump of Modi giving a gas cyclinder to a smiling Muslim woman.
I can't find that poster in the internet. However I found a similar picture on the Prime Minister's website:
source: https://www.pmindia.gov.in/en/news_upda ... rget-date/
Can you imagine a picture of Hitler donating something smilingly to an orthodox Jew? Forget the Hitler comparisons. Read about Krushchev.

Then there is economic policy. Earlier the government would give coal blocks to political friends. To avoid money influencing future elections it was important to starve the old donors. The supreme court decided that coal block allocation was illegal. Coal power plants sat next to coal fields. But they weren't allowed to use this coal any more and there was no railway either. Modi waited till a lot of power plants went into insolvency/ changed owner. Recently coal blocks were auctioned.
The mobile provider Jio from Mukesh Ambani was greatly and unfair preferred by Modi. Basically all other cellular service provider are bankrupt or close to it. But with the exception of Jio the government today works with auctions. And recently the government made a decision which harmed Jio more than the competitors. It's contradicting evidence, I'm not sure what to believe. I don't think any politician in India can do without some money from business friends. But if the improvement is 70%, I shall be quite satisfied. In other words: Are auctions the rule or the exception?

"If you have one million Rs debt with your bank, that's your problem. If you have 1 billion Rs debt with the bank, that's the banks problem."
Earlier political connected businessmen would not pay back their credit or would get the credit evergreened. Products were sold without bill, so a businessman could extract huge wealth from the company. Insolvency law was changed. Some big fish are getting fried. Credit moral has greatly improved.

Even though we are in recession, the amount of non performing assets in public sector banks has fallen strongly the last 1,5 years. In any other country I would say that I don't believe statistics which I didn't fake myself. But then the surplus value of labor is shameless. (Lot's of poverty, many SUVs). I believe businessmen start respecting the law. Many industries are affected by recession at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if doubtful credits do get evergreened at the moment. I have no evidence for this assumption. But I believe that there was a great change in culture and that evergreening, if done as emergency measure, is not meant to stay for good.

If one has a knee operation, one can't participate in a race one week later. The reforms are serious disturbances in the way the Indian economy works. Nevertheless they are necessary. Any politician without the "halo of dominance" would have committed political suicide by touching one of them.
Even if people are not doing too well: Some will appreciate the change in infrastructure, some will appreciate that a strong man shows the rich their place, women enjoy the comfort of a gas stove, some ordinary people can afford to rebuild their house, I admire the reforms.

But I don't know why US Indians don't like him.

This thread was about Kashmir. I am not sure how it turned into yet another forum to push WhatsApp university IT Cell forwards. :D

Demonetisation was more than just a minor disturbance. More than 43 people died waiting in lines at Banks - all from the lower middle class or poor sections of society. Millions of of SME jobs were lost affecting the livelihoods of the people at the bottom of the chain. And so on...! So it did affect the poor and marginalized much more than the rich, upper caste dudebros who forward such info on WhatsApp.

The economy is in the ICU with disappearing jobs, falling rupee and a govt clueless how to handle the meltdown. Riots in Delhi are an indicator of how this govt intends to deal with CAA/NRC protests - by playing the same Hindu-Muslim game that made Modi in 2002.

The new India, news against the Govt does not get reported. Its like North Korea. Any negative report in the media, and the journalist/editor gets a call from Amit Shah who is Modi's professional hitman. The terror attack in Pulwama which helped them win 2019 was a staged encounter. How many journalists reported on the Davinder Singh arrest and the subsequent coverup? The couple of journalists who did had to go underground. Some western journalists who reported on the false flag operation and Davinder Singh case had their visas cancelled! So the new Indian media is basically one that makes North Korean TV look objective with journalists gushing over Dear Leader's love for mangoes!

To answer Jouhou's question again - there is a clear Caste and Religious angle to speaking out against Modi whether its in India or outside. Muslims, Christians as well as lower caste Indians are hostile to Modi-Shah. People from the Upper Castes are more likely to be hardcore supporters of Hindtuva Fascism. Most NRI's in the US/Canada are from the 4 upper castes. A study done in 2011 showed how 2 of the 4 upper castes corner 85% of the annual H1B quota from India. And because of caste, most of these tend to be hardcore Modi/RSS supporters who will push WhatsApp forwards apart from bullying women and gays on Twitter!

Then there are some upper caste Indians in US/Canada like Yours truly, who studied in universities like JNU which Dear Leader has clearly said is an anti-national University producing "Urban Naxals". Anti-National upper caste Hindoos like me do not like Modi-Shah because we have a problem with Hindutva Fascism! What to do! We are like this wonly! We have a conscience! :)

Now can we get back to discussing Kashmir?
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

dtw2hyd

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:57 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
I am not sure how it turned into yet another forum to push WhatsApp university IT Cell forwards. :D

Mr. Emit Malware is everywhere.

Retaliation

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Fair Plebiscite. On Both Sides.
I dont know why India is so Afraid of U.N resolutions regarding that.
Moka Kakaa a.

Tugger

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Retaliation wrote:

Because from what I have read, the other interested nations (Pakistan, China) would interfere in it too, so exactly how free and fair would it be? Also after any such event any now weaker "independent" states would need to rely on and have the support from neighboring countries and so be subject to significant meddling and corruption. India has its problems with this too. They don't want to lose any territory or "buffer".

So why bother with a vote when it will only make things worse?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Retaliation

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:15 am

Tugger wrote:
Retaliation wrote:

Because from what I have read, the other interested nations (Pakistan, China) would interfere in it too, so exactly how free and fair would it be? Also after any such event any now weaker "independent" states would need to rely on and have the support from neighboring countries and so be subject to significant meddling and corruption. India has its problems with this too. They don't want to lose any territory or "buffer".

So why bother with a vote when it will only make things worse?

Tugg

Whoever assumed that Pakistan and China would be able to interfere in a vote in Kashmir must be high on drugs.
Kashmir is the most militarized zone on the planet.
As far as losing Territory is concerned they just lost some at Galwan to China and some part of Kashmir is still with Pakistan. Aksai chin is Chinese and Indian claim on that is nowhere in Sight.

I guess Losing land over lives and Economic stability is important for India.

Last time I have seen vote making things worse was 2019 election in India and 2008 election in Pakistan.
Moka Kakaa a.

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:07 pm

Retaliation wrote:

Plebiscite had to be held in 1947 not 2020, its a different generation.
This was delayed by Paki as they did not vacate the areas of POK prior to the plebiscite terms.

The return of the Kashmiri pandits to the valley is needed too.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Retaliation

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:30 pm

HAWK21M wrote:
Retaliation wrote:

This was delayed by Paki as they did not vacate the areas of POK prior to the plebiscite terms.

Dont hold a plebiscite, Put your Indoos there pandits or whatever. its IOK.
Moka Kakaa a.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Listening to Led Zeppelin all day long... you know? du-du-duuum .... du-du-dummm ... du-du-dumm ...:cloudnine:

I recommend listening to the professionally recorded and mixed live version of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" from their 2007 O2 show, as you contemplate the troubles in the region. It's a very powerful version, more so than the 1975 studio version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnsivzqodFU
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

BawliBooch

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:33 am

HAWK21M wrote:

You are right! 2020 is not 1947! The maharaja of Kashmir acceded to the Indian Union under some conditions, none of which were met. The United Nations Resolution #47 is very clear - India and Pakistan are both to withdraw their troops from the disputed region, following which a plebiscite administrator appointed by the United Nations was to oversee a plebiscite in the region. But since then, both India and Pakistan have used various excuses at various times to deny the Kashmiri people the right to determine their own future. In Aug 2019, the fascist regime of Modi in New Delhi unilaterally abrogated Article 370, a law which gave special status to the disputed territory of Kashmir in violation of International Law. Since then, millions of Kashmiris are living without access to basic communication to the outside world with an occupying force of more than a million troops enforcing a brutal military occupation.

HAWK21M wrote:

Aaah! The favorite excuse of the Modi bhakts - Kashmiri Pandits! So 10 million Kashmiris should continue to be denied their human rights and freedoms until 40K Pandits who left in 1988-1990 return to the valley?

Trump is Modi's best friend! So India can continue with its brutal occupation of Kashmir as long as Trump remains in the White House! After that? Will Biden-Harris White House be as flexible to accepting the fascist regimes brutality not just in Kashmir but elsewhere in India?

N867DA

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:53 am

Honestly, the time for talking is done. It is exceedingly obvious any result of a plebiscite will not be respected by at least one of the three sides here; too many things have changed in the world. Just make the LoC the border, integrate each part into India or Pakistan, and be done with it. Restore communications and services to Kashmir, let whoever wants to live there, live there and keep moving on. Librandus have kept this issue alive for eighty years and have kept India from being a truly secular country, and Kashmir has gone from a tourist destination to a warzone in many places.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

BawliBooch

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:49 am

N867DA wrote:
Honestly, the time for talking is done. It is exceedingly obvious any result of a plebiscite will not be respected by at least one of the three sides here; too many things have changed in the world. Just make the LoC the border, integrate each part into India or Pakistan, and be done with it. Restore communications and services to Kashmir, let whoever wants to live there, live there and keep moving on. Librandus have kept this issue alive for eighty years and have kept India from being a truly secular country, and Kashmir has gone from a tourist destination to a warzone in many places.

Aaah! So the rulers of India and Pakistan carve up Kashmir between themselves and all will be fine! Like Soviet Union and Nazi Germany carving up the free nations of Europe!

Who cares about the people of Kashmir? Their freedom and human rights?

And LIBERANDUS? That word....! It sounds like the kind of word that Modi IT Cell coolie deputed to Trump 2020 campaign would use!

Sokes

Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:14 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
And LIBERANDUS? That word....! It sounds like the kind of word that Modi IT Cell coolie deputed to Trump 2020 campaign would use!

How many Kashmiri chillies did you eat today?
:hot:
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

N867DA

Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:39 am

BawliBooch wrote:
N867DA wrote:

Aaah! So the rulers of India and Pakistan carve up Kashmir between themselves and all will be fine! Like Soviet Union and Nazi Germany carving up the free nations of Europe!

Who cares about the people of Kashmir? Their freedom and human rights?
[i]

To speak candidly, no government of any country that touches Kashmir cares (or has cared) about the people of Kashmir. It has been used as a bargaining chip for decades, and the only people that have paid the price are Kashmiris. A plebiscite today is very unlikely because the geopolitical and demographic landscape is different. Trying to make fair, simple, universally accepted plebiscite guidelines today is akin to stripping India and Pakistan of its religiousness.

I disagree with the communications blackout (among many other things the BJP has done).It should have ended ages ago. I do feel it is time to bring Kashmir in line with the rest of India and Pakistan is more than welcome to do the same with Azad Kashmir. Kashmiri Indians should have no more or fewer rights than any other Indian.

How would you critique your usage of the word bhakt?
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:25 pm

In 2020 what are the realist options that will be accepted by all three involved parties:-
India/Pak/Kashmiris
If the LOC becomes the Border.....The Kashmiris will complain
If Plebiscite is carried out, the party that loses , will not accept.There is no Independent option there

Finally if Kashmir [Both J&K and POK] are made into a commonly administered area by both India & Pak.... Will Pak not continue to instigate terror there

Remember J&K is a muslim majority state in a Democratic India, so India cant lose J&K.
and If Kashmir goes away from Pakistan, then the question of a pakistan is defeated
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Sokes

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:58 am

Recently India and China quarreled about a useless piece of land.
Of course, the quarrel really was about principle and preventing further aggression.

I asked a friend if Modi couldn't exchange the land for a dedicated fright corridor. After all, China is much richer than India. If it's so important for them, let them pay for it.
To me the answer looked obvious, but my friend said people will not agree to barter Mother India.

Many years back (but after 1990) Czech Republic was poor and Germany rich. I don't remember if a road was improved or a highway built.
The German side agreed to locally draw the border new. The area concerned must have been state forest. The new border went through a river, in exchange Czech Republic paid half of the bridge.

The news had only a few lines in the newspaper. It wasn't considered important news.
Somehow collective societies really get worked up over such issues. Better not to touch the subject until the societies become more liberal.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

LH658

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:05 am

British was suppose to give land of Kashmir, Gurdaspur, Jalandahar, Ferozpur, East Bengal, and other areas to Pakistan. Unfortunately none of Pakistani's or Muslim League leaders didn't sleep with Mount Batten family members. Hindu Raja wanted go to India though majority Muslim dominated area, they're was areas that had Muslim rulers though Hindu majority population and went to India even though the Muslim Rulers wanted go with Pakistan. Pakistan Kashmir is free though, India is under lock down and people are protesting constantly and getting attacked for decades, they even locked up the Muslim leaders that helped Modi. You tell me who's scared ding ding India! India know's if Kashmir had a vote it will go to Pakistan in a landslide.

c933103

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:31 am

Make Kashmir become its own countey like BiH seems to be the best step that can be done for now
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
A placeholder line
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.