flyiguy
Topic Author

New York Residents no longer eligible for Global Entry

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:27 am

Due to the Green Light Law recently passed, NY state no longer meets the DHS requirements for the Global Entry Program:

https://abc7ny.com/politics/new-yorkers ... s/5907159/

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

ABEguy

Re: New York Residents no longer eligible for Global Entry

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:29 am

I posted this, and it was swiftly deleted. Can anyone explain why please.

JohanTally

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 am

ABEguy wrote:

Because this thread will ultimately end up being about politics

questions

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:40 am

ABEguy wrote:

Your name is on the list. They are after you. Watch your back!

This is just the beginning. Things are going to get a lot worse. A lot worse.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:44 am

What is global entry?

jetmechanicdave

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:45 am

Political discussion therefore moved to non-aviation.
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

questions

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:51 am

Kiwirob wrote:
What is global entry?

From: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports.

At airports, program members proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingerprints on the scanner for fingerprint verification and complete a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit.

Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment.

There are also reciprocal agreements with other countries. NZ is one.

DL717

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:56 pm

questions wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
What is global entry?

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. Members enter the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports.

At airports, program members proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingerprints on the scanner for fingerprint verification and complete a customs declaration. The kiosk issues the traveler a transaction receipt and directs the traveler to baggage claim and the exit.

Travelers must be pre-approved for the Global Entry program. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment.

It also gives you unlimited access to TSA pre-check unless you are randomly selected for additional screening. I haven’t spent more than 10 minutes getting through security or more than 15 minutes getting through customs since getting it. It’s $100 which translates to $20 a year. If you don’t travel a lot, then it’s not worth it, but we fly about 10 times a year and usually do an international trip each year. It paid off the first time we traveled international. Stopped in Kennedy during peak. Place was a mess. Out of there in 10 minutes.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

ltbewr

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 pm

This is not going to be popular with the 1000's who live in NYS and use the TSA shortcut programs, especially frequent business travelers. Residents in more states will also likely be affected as they adopt access to drivers' licenses to foreign nationals illegally residing in the USA.

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:30 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Residents in more states will also likely be affected as they adopt access to drivers' licenses to foreign nationals illegally residing in the USA.

Going forward you need an Enhanced (or) Real-ID Drivers License for air travel or to access federal facilities. States cannot issue a Real-ID Drivers License to illegals, only a normal license.

kalvado

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:51 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Residents in more states will also likely be affected as they adopt access to drivers' licenses to foreign nationals illegally residing in the USA.

Going forward you need an Enhanced (or) Real-ID Drivers License for air travel or to access federal facilities. States cannot issue a Real-ID Drivers License to illegals, only a normal license.

In NY particular case, the problem is not with licenses to undocumented immigrants -problem is that NYS restricted federal access to DMV records, with court warrant required for data requests.
DMV data is a part of background check procedure - so federal background checks now cannot be completed. Global entry is the first casualty, expect more to follow - airline crew and airport staff hiring, gun permits are just few examples where federal background checks are required.
As for protecting immigrants... Federal service to legal immigrants may also be affected - long term visas being issued and renewed come to mind.

LCDFlight

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm

ltbewr wrote:
This is not going to be popular with the 1000's who live in NYS and use the TSA shortcut programs, especially frequent business travelers. Residents in more states will also likely be affected as they adopt access to drivers' licenses to foreign nationals illegally residing in the USA.

Yes. For our international members, here is why this is a genuine stealth / interesting move.

On one hand, enhanced driver licenses are happening to aid flight security in the US, planned prior to Trump.

But additionally - this is a precise dagger into the globe-trotting lifestyle of wealthy people who are fighting Trump the hardest. There is zero political cost to Trump. His act will not harm average voters. It will infuriate the wealthy, high strung NY people who have been trying to get Trump out of office, presumably to install their own leader. This is all about the social pecking order of wealthy people in New York. Trump is constantly trolling the people who never accepted him into top NY society, by arguing that average American voters shouldn't like them either. His only saving grace to them is that he has made them even wealthier. They have to pretend they don't like it.

ltbewr

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:10 pm

kalvado wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

In NY particular case, the problem is not with licenses to undocumented immigrants -problem is that NYS restricted federal access to DMV records, with court warrant required for data requests.
DMV data is a part of background check procedure - so federal background checks now cannot be completed. Global entry is the first casualty, expect more to follow - airline crew and airport staff hiring, gun permits are just few examples where federal background checks are required.
As for protecting immigrants... Federal service to legal immigrants may also be affected - long term visas being issued and renewed come to mind.

New Jersey has finally started, years later than it should have, to issue 'real ID' drivers licenses as well as issuing DL's to non-citizens including those not legally here. To get a real ID license one has to produce more very particular documents, some that may cost $100's and time to get, make an appointment months from now, slowing down everyone and yet also process those who are here illegally. To me priority should be to citizens/legal residents get 'Real ID' DL's first and fast, and those for non-citizens put in a months long line. I think it is dead wrong that I, born in the USA citizen, may have to use a Passport to travel by plane in the USA later this year.

questions

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm

Can the issues Global Entry identification card be used to get through TSA?

bhill

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:43 pm

This is spiteful bullshit....if you bring the same damn documents needed to get a PASSPORT, then there should be no issue. Washington State is just as lax and it has not been shut down here....
Carpe Pices

Moose135

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:47 pm

ltbewr wrote:
New Jersey has finally started, years later than it should have, to issue 'real ID' drivers licenses as well as issuing DL's to non-citizens including those not legally here. To get a real ID license one has to produce more very particular documents, some that may cost $100's and time to get, make an appointment months from now, slowing down everyone and yet also process those who are here illegally. To me priority should be to citizens/legal residents get 'Real ID' DL's first and fast, and those for non-citizens put in a months long line. I think it is dead wrong that I, born in the USA citizen, may have to use a Passport to travel by plane in the USA later this year.

Then NJ is doing something wrong, and it doesn't have anything to do with non-citizens. I received my Real ID down here in NC a couple of months ago. I needed to bring copies of a few specific documents, all that I already had, and spent about 40 minutes waiting at DMV - walked in without a reservation, and it took about 10 minutes once I was at the desk.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Kiwirob

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:57 am

questions wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
What is global entry?

I haven't lived in NZ since 2006, so I have no idea if they have pre screening or not.

cairns

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:20 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

But additionally - this is a precise dagger into the globe-trotting lifestyle of wealthy people who are fighting Trump the hardest. There is zero political cost to Trump. His act will not harm average voters. It will infuriate the wealthy, high strung NY people who have been trying to get Trump out of office, presumably to install their own leader. This is all about the social pecking order of wealthy people in New York. Trump is constantly trolling the people who never accepted him into top NY society, by arguing that average American voters shouldn't like them either. His only saving grace to them is that he has made them even wealthier. They have to pretend they don't like it.

Oh please stop with the anti Trump hyperbole. If the state of New York decides it's not going to cooperate with the Federal background checks required to gain access to Global Entry and the other TTP programs the citizens of that state will suffer the consequences.

cairns

Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:25 pm

bhill wrote:
This is spiteful bullshit....if you bring the same damn documents needed to get a PASSPORT, then there should be no issue. Washington State is just as lax and it has not been shut down here....

You obviously don't have global entry and have never applied. A passport only provides proof of citizenship. To gain global entry or access to the other TTP programs, your residency, driving, employment and other records must be checked. It ain't got nothing to do with Trump and these requirements were formulated before he was President.

alfa164

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:07 pm

cairns wrote:
[You obviously don't have global entry and have never applied. A passport only provides proof of citizenship. To gain global entry or access to the other TTP programs, your residency, driving, employment and other records must be checked. It ain't got nothing to do with Trump and these requirements were formulated before he was President.

Don't try to insult our intelligence; this has everything to do with Trump. There is nothing in the Global Entry even remotely related to "driving", and your own statement verifies that Global Entry is issued U.S. citizens and permanent residentswith a passport to prove their citizenship. Insulting other posters is a desperate attempt to prove a point... that doesn't exist.

cairns wrote:
Oh please stop with the anti Trump hyperbole.

It would be hard to define any anti-Trump hyperbole, since he has become a hyperbolic satire of himself...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

alfa164

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:14 pm

bhill wrote:

Politico has a good take on it, including this quote:

“New York can learn from California’s experience, said Manuel Pastor, a professor at the University of Southern California whose book “State of Resistance” chronicles the West Coast state’s tangles with Trump. “Get ready for a fight. The Trump administration has obliterated the usual lines of restraint in terms of the use of government for political purposes,” he said. “The Trump administration is now emboldened by the fact that it was able to avoid impeachment and it’s looking for election-year opportunities to be able to advertise its anti-immigrant stance and anti-coastal stance.”

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/02/06/trump-to-new-york-travelers-drop-dead-1259360
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

mham001

Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 pm

alfa164 wrote:
cairns wrote:
[You obviously don't have global entry and have never applied. A passport only provides proof of citizenship. To gain global entry or access to the other TTP programs, your residency, driving, employment and other records must be checked. It ain't got nothing to do with Trump and these requirements were formulated before he was President.

Don't try to insult our intelligence; this has everything to do with Trump. There is nothing in the Global Entry even remotely related to "driving", and your own statement verifies that Global Entry is issued U.S. citizens and permanent residentswith a passport to prove their citizenship. Insulting other posters is a desperate attempt to prove a point... that doesn't exist.

You might want to read up on the rest of the law. Maybe the part about NY preventing access to DMV records by federal officials has something to do with it.

I don't care if it's Trump or the little green troll under the bridge, anything that facilitates an easier life for illegal aliens should not be tolerated and should have consequential effects. Just as it is in the rest of the world.

dtw2hyd

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:16 pm

How many illegal immigrants are globetrotting with Global Entry. None
How many Manhattan globetrotters don't have vacation homes in MA, RI, CT or FL. None. Recently someone changed primary address to Mar-a-lago.

This is going to hurt some small business man/woman who crosses land border several times a week on NEXUS.

If this is an issue with background checks, state has to fix.

LCDFlight

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:20 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
How many Manhattan globetrotters don't have vacation homes in MA, RI, CT or FL. None. Recently someone changed primary address to Mar-a-lago.

This is going to hurt some small business man/woman who crosses land border several times a week on NEXUS.

You captured it perfectly. This isn't going to solve an immigration problem directly. But it will create pain for the people who are creating pain for Trump. It will hit those very people who are the center of the wealthy "resistance."

And, it does get at an immigration "problem" indirectly.

Blerg

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:01 am

LCDFlight wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

You captured it perfectly. This isn't going to solve an immigration problem directly. But it will create pain for the people who are creating pain for Trump. It will hit those very people who are the center of the wealthy "resistance."

And, it does get at an immigration "problem" indirectly.

Exactly like you put it, this is Trump's way of punishing the New York City elite which has been opposing him for a while now. It's also the election year so why not turn some voters against Cuomo and those who run both the city and the state of New York.

blueflyer

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:48 am

And predictably, the state of New York will sue the Department of Homeland Security. My guess is, at the very least, the judge will issue an injunction for DHS to continue processing applications while the matter is being heard. Which could be interesting...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/07/nyre ... it-ny.html

What I do wonder is what is so supposedly unique about the NY law. Other states have passed similar measures before NY, with no action from DHS. DHS clams other states are not as restrictive as NY, however I could not find more details than this very vague statement.

ltbewr wrote:

TSA pre-check isn't affected.

mham001 wrote:
I don't care if it's Trump or the little green troll under the bridge, anything that facilitates an easier life for illegal aliens should not be tolerated and should have consequential effects. Just as it is in the rest of the world.

I think you vastly overestimate the benefits of a driver's license for illegal immigrants. In many states, especially the ones with large immigrant populations, the list of documents that is accepted to prove identify for many government and private purposes is very long, and includes foreign documents.

The main benefit of issuing a driver's license to illegal immigrants is it lets them buy insurance, which makes them less likely to flee the scene and leave other drivers without recourse (they don't abstain from driving just because they don't have a license). Giving illegal immigrants a license benefits you.
All Hail King Donald

cairns

Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:58 pm

Jeez I wish you Trump haters would actually avail yourselves of some knowledge. The global entry and other TTP requirements have long stipulated that drivers records (and vehicle registration, if you intend to drive across the border) be examined. New York stupidly passed a law that says the Feds don't get to see that stuff unless they have a warrant. The Feds said no ticket- no laundry. The state of New York is not only screwing their citizens in an attempt to hide illegal aliens they're going to waste their taxpayers money on lawsuits they will undoubtedly lose. But blame Trump. It's the "intelligent" thing to do and it obviously makes the ignorant among you feel better.

Aesma

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:14 pm

I wonder what proponents of "state rights" think about this ?

If you don't want to use a passport to fly inside your country, why don't you support a national/federal ID card ?

Each state having to know and recognize every other state's driver's licenses seems like a giant security hole to me.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

stl07

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Interesting how Trump retaliates on lib's issues of "states rights" but then encourages conservies issues of state's rights. You can't have it both ways Donald.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

seb146

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:11 pm

Weren't these same MAGA fans whining about NY releasing state tax returns? Now they want NY to release DMV records? I know it is not an all-or-nothing proposition, I just find it interesting.

I also seem to recall many Republicans screaming about "states rights" when Real ID was proposed. Where are those same defenders of states rights?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

anrec80

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:03 pm

DL717 wrote:
It also gives you unlimited access to TSA pre-check unless you are randomly selected for additional screening. I haven’t spent more than 10 minutes getting through security or more than 15 minutes getting through customs since getting it. It’s $100 which translates to $20 a year. If you don’t travel a lot, then it’s not worth it, but we fly about 10 times a year and usually do an international trip each year. It paid off the first time we traveled international. Stopped in Kennedy during peak. Place was a mess. Out of there in 10 minutes.

I am actually using NEXUS (USA-Canada trusted traveler program), which gives the same benefits to both USA and Canada. Works like a charm, and even worth the hassle to periodically fly to Buffalo enrollment center periodically, say, to renew or update information.

anrec80

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:08 pm

kalvado wrote:

Hmm - interesting. I was just wondering why Feds made such decision.

anrec80

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:33 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

This is yet another mess created by AOC likes that won New York State elections. I think these “migrant protections” is to gather votes of migrant communities which are plentiful in NYC. So that Federal authorities have harder time tracking visa terms violators.

N757ST

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:40 pm

seb146 wrote:
Weren't these same MAGA fans whining about NY releasing state tax returns? Now they want NY to release DMV records? I know it is not an all-or-nothing proposition, I just find it interesting.

I also seem to recall many Republicans screaming about "states rights" when Real ID was proposed. Where are those same defenders of states rights?

DMV records are researched as part of the process, likely in conjunction with a criminal background check. The feds are not forcing them to release the records, when you apply via NEXUS you are giving them the right to look at them. If however, NYS won't handover those records short of a court order, then applicant obviously can't supply the necessary info to NEXUS. I use global entry 3-4 times a week, its a handy tool. As a result of global entry I have actually had my bags searched maybe twice in the last 8 years, and I've gone through customs maybe 300-400 times. The whole point of this program is to subject you to a major check to see if you can be trusted, hence the TRUSTED TRAVELER PROGRAM. DHS looks at everything, including your driving record, and without that info DHS doesn't know if they can trust you. Not everything is about MAGA or whatnot, in this instance this makes sense.

N757ST

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:45 pm

anrec80 wrote:
kalvado wrote:

If the FEDs allowed NY residents to bypass a part of the background check how is that fair to everyone else? I get that we are likely saything the same things here, but this is not a problem with the feds, but rather a problem with a state. States rights are states rights, they have the right to create this legislation which they think is protecting thier alien population, but sometimes legislation has consequences, and it seems DHS isn't willing to give an exception to NYS that everyone else in the USA has to comply with to use this program.

anrec80

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:51 pm

N757ST wrote:
If the FEDs allowed NY residents to bypass a part of the background check how is that fair to everyone else? I get that we are likely saything the same things here, but this is not a problem with the feds, but rather a problem with a state. States rights are states rights, they have the right to create this legislation which they think is protecting thier alien population, but sometimes legislation has consequences, and it seems DHS isn't willing to give an exception to NYS that everyone else in the USA has to comply with to use this program.

I agree with you - trusted traveler programs must have means to ensure they actually can trust travelers, and know them. But if a state makes that impossible - then yes, Feds should restrict.

dtw2hyd

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:44 pm

Do states have to give complete access to Feds or just for TTP applicants. NYS shouldn't have a problem providing background info for TTP applicants while protecting whoever they are trying to protect.

I personally think both sides are showboating rather than working out a solution.

anrec80

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:54 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Do states have to give complete access to Feds or just for TTP applicants. NYS shouldn't have a problem providing background info for TTP applicants while protecting whoever they are trying to protect.

I personally think both sides are showboating rather than working out a solution.

NYS liberals just want to have it all their way, they aren’t into working out any solutions. For them, it’s pure ideology. They rather use this situation as a tool to attack Trump than actually enable their residents to travel.

Aesma

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:05 pm

What is the system entrusting you with anyway, isn't you luggage X-rayed like everyone else's ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

N757ST

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:00 pm

Aesma wrote:
What is the system entrusting you with anyway, isn't you luggage X-rayed like everyone else's ?

It’s an expedited process through customs. Instead of having to talk with an officer, you have a quick photo of yourself taken and scan your passport via a machine. On the way out you hand that slip to an officer who usually doesn’t say a word to you. Off the plane and through customs/ immigration and curbside in 10 minutes or less.

seb146

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:44 pm

I just did a search for "New York Green Light Law" and a summary is that New York state is allowing "undocumented" people and those with no Social Security number to get a drivers licence, not Real ID. If LEGAL citizens can provide all the proof they need for Real ID, what is the big deal other than it is a "liberal" state?

anrec80

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:57 am

seb146 wrote:
I just did a search for "New York Green Light Law" and a summary is that New York state is allowing "undocumented" people and those with no Social Security number to get a drivers licence, not Real ID. If LEGAL citizens can provide all the proof they need for Real ID, what is the big deal other than it is a "liberal" state?

The fact that state doesn’t allow federal authorities access to their driver licensing data. Border guards hence don’t have enough info on applicants and can’t process the application.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 am

The deal NYS won’t allow access to any NYS residents, legal or illegal REAL ID or no REAL ID. If the Feds can’t access your record, no expedited travel processing. The “news” is both sides are making headlines about something that’s very simple and settled.

afcjets

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:05 am

Aesma wrote:

If you don't want to use a passport to fly inside your country, why don't you support a national/federal ID card ?

Each state having to know and recognize every other state's driver's licenses seems like a giant security hole to me.

I think NY has every right to restrict access to DMV records but not demand the federal government change their standards for them.

N757ST

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:06 am

seb146 wrote:

Again, nothing to do with Real Id, everything to do with records access. NY won’t give access to these records which is a required component of the background check. So basically you want an exception or changing of the process for NYS residents because of legislation passed by NYS. It isn’t going to happen, these are consequences of their actions.

N757ST

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:10 am

afcjets wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I think NY has every right to restrict access to DMV records but not demand the federal government change their standards for them.

I think we’re on the same page, but yes NYS has every right to enact their own DMV requirements. What they don’t have the right to ask for is an exception to the Nexus requirements. Their law prohibits compliance with DHS regulations, and the federal government absolutely shouldn’t bend to a states will.

seb146

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:21 am

anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

The fact that state doesn’t allow federal authorities access to their driver licensing data. Border guards hence don’t have enough info on applicants and can’t process the application.

Isn't Real ID a federal program? We in Oregon can either pay extra and turn in the extra paperwork for Real ID or we can simply continue with our existing Oregon ID with no Real ID enhancement. We do not fly, so we do not need Real ID. It is six of one for getting into federal buildings for us.

N757ST

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:45 am

seb146 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Isn't Real ID a federal program? We in Oregon can either pay extra and turn in the extra paperwork for Real ID or we can simply continue with our existing Oregon ID with no Real ID enhancement. We do not fly, so we do not need Real ID. It is six of one for getting into federal buildings for us.

Once again, this has nothing to do with real ID. A part of the NEXUS background check is your driving record. NYS will only release a driving record with a court order. No driving record access, no nexus background check, no global entry.

DL717

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:11 pm

cairns wrote:
Jeez I wish you Trump haters would actually avail yourselves of some knowledge. The global entry and other TTP requirements have long stipulated that drivers records (and vehicle registration, if you intend to drive across the border) be examined. New York stupidly passed a law that says the Feds don't get to see that stuff unless they have a warrant. The Feds said no ticket- no laundry. The state of New York is not only screwing their citizens in an attempt to hide illegal aliens they're going to waste their taxpayers money on lawsuits they will undoubtedly lose. But blame Trump. It's the "intelligent" thing to do and it obviously makes the ignorant among you feel better.

Exactly. Being close to Canada we provided vehicle registration in the event we decided to take a road trip. This isn’t something as simple as issuing a passport to someone who provides proof of legal citizenship. Criteria for issuance shouldn’t change because New York is stupid. New York travelers should just use this and stop whining. It works at all three airports:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/ ... rt-control

DL717

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:19 pm

anrec80 wrote:
kalvado wrote:

Because it’s a background check for security reasons, not a passport which is based on residency requirements. The difference in the New York law is it prevents Federal access to the DMV records, where other states with similar laws do not block access. In other words, New York took it a step further because they are a) stupid or b) trying to play a political game. Probably both.