seb146

Re: New York Residents no longer eligible for Global Entry

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:15 pm

DL717 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
kalvado wrote:
In NY particular case, the problem is not with licenses to undocumented immigrants -problem is that NYS restricted federal access to DMV records, with court warrant required for data requests.
DMV data is a part of background check procedure - so federal background checks now cannot be completed. Global entry is the first casualty, expect more to follow - airline crew and airport staff hiring, gun permits are just few examples where federal background checks are required.
As for protecting immigrants... Federal service to legal immigrants may also be affected - long term visas being issued and renewed come to mind.

Hmm - interesting. I was just wondering why Feds made such decision.

Because it’s a background check for security reasons, not a passport which is based on residency requirements. The difference in the New York law is it prevents Federal access to the DMV records, where other states with similar laws do not block access. In other words, New York took it a step further because they are a) stupid or b) trying to play a political game. Probably both.

Further reading of the New York law leads me to option C: Trying to protect New York citizens. The federal government wants unfettered access to NY DMV records. That would include foreign citizens here on visas and undocumented workers who are actually trying to right their wrong.

TSA does not need the records of every single person. TSA does not need to expand like that. Ignoring state's rights like that. Funny how Republicans now love big gub'mint....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

N757ST

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:22 pm

This has nothing to do with TSA seb.

cairns

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:01 pm

Jeez how dumb can you get? TSA isn't looking at a darn thing. And DHS is only examining the records of those who apply for Global Entry or other TT programs. 80,000 New Yorkers just had their applications denied and some people are dumb enough to think New York's actions are helping their citizens.

mham001

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 pm

stl07 wrote:
Interesting how Trump retaliates on lib's issues of "states rights" but then encourages conservies issues of state's rights. You can't have it both ways Donald.

It is quite consistent - states do not and never had the right to make federal immigration and border rules.

stl07

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:12 pm

mham001 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Interesting how Trump retaliates on lib's issues of "states rights" but then encourages conservies issues of state's rights. You can't have it both ways Donald.

It is quite consistent - states do not and never had the right to make federal immigration and border rules.

What in the world? How is NY doing any of those things
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

cairns

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:24 pm

Looks like Cuomo caved. So much for all this anti-Trump BS.

AirWorthy99

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:31 pm

cairns wrote:
Looks like Cuomo caved. So much for all this anti-Trump BS.

Cuomo has to look for the 1% here.. had no choice that's his base.
“In my experience eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles.” Tyrion Lannister

KFTG

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:57 am

Where are all of the "state's rights" pinheads now?

Blerg

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:45 am

KFTG wrote:

From what I know this whole thing has to do with Global Entry which is run by U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency which is a federally run institution. Someone correct me if I am wrong but border security is a responsibility of the federal government, not state one.

N757ST

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:06 am

Blerg wrote:
KFTG wrote:

From what I know this whole thing has to do with Global Entry which is run by U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency which is a federally run institution. Someone correct me if I am wrong but border security is a responsibility of the federal government, not state one.

Again, this has everything to do with availability of records. If a background check involves driving records, and the state won’t allow the federal government to access those records, then the check cannot be completed... ergo no access to the program.

Blerg

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:32 pm

N757ST wrote:
Blerg wrote:
KFTG wrote:

Again, this has everything to do with availability of records. If a background check involves driving records, and the state won’t allow the federal government to access those records, then the check cannot be completed... ergo no access to the program.

Exactly, states rights are not infringed upon since this is a federally instituted programme.