sonicruiser
Topic Author

Facebook and Twitter decline Pelosi request to delete Trump video

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:20 am

BravoOne

Re: Facebook and Twitter decline Pelosi request to delete Trump video

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:30 am

Couple of bad weeks for the Dems:) May more in the pipeline with this kind of behavior.

AirWorthy99

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:33 am

Also very interesting is the video of Pelosi, already preparing to rip the papers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR5Z6bKRp9A

She had planned this all along, from the moment Trump began speaking (the very least). Not going to be good for independents come November.
“In my experience eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles.” Tyrion Lannister

Aaron747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:46 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Also very interesting is the video of Pelosi, already preparing to rip the papers.

She had planned this all along, from the moment Trump began speaking (the very least). Not going to be good for independents come November.

What evidence do you have independents care about this? We don’t.

As stated in the deleted Vindman thread, most of us are far more concerned with things like 45
violating 18 USC 1513 yesterday.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AirWorthy99

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:55 am

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

As stated in the deleted Vindman thread, most of us are far more concerned with things like 45

Why would you need evidence for an opinion? You think that someone on the middle who thinks the Democrats are the grownups and Trump is the child is going to keep thinking the same after seeing this on an ad?
“In my experience eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles.” Tyrion Lannister

DeltaMD90

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:59 am

Not FB's or Twitter's responsibility. If people are dumb enough to believe this and alter their voting because of this video, they're too far gone

That's what I said about the Russian interference 2016. From what I've seen, we don't have a fake news / foreign interference problem in America, we have too many people with low IQ.

Treat the cause not the symptoms. If it's not shitty Russian memes or Breitbart, it'll be something else

Aaron747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:22 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Why would you need evidence for an opinion? You think that someone on the middle who thinks the Democrats are the grownups and Trump is the child is going to keep thinking the same after seeing this on an ad?

It doesn’t even matter
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ltbewr

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:41 am

Something like this is a clear editing hatchet job, an intended and clearly false statement, an attempt to make Speaker Pelosi and Democrats look bad, but that is protected by the 1st Amendment. While sites like Facebook and Twitter are private companies, they are fearful that if took this down, then conservatives would want 'false' postings as to them removed too, as well as face boycotts, harassment and cuts in revenues. I am a Democrat party loyalist, but that loyalty is strained by such stunts like the Speaker did as just feeds more hate to and voters away from Democrats, and to Trump and Republicans.

DeltaMD90

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:24 am

ltbewr wrote:
Something like this is a clear editing hatchet job, an intended and clearly false statement, an attempt to make Speaker Pelosi and Democrats look bad, but that is protected by the 1st Amendment. While sites like Facebook and Twitter are private companies, they are fearful that if took this down, then conservatives would want 'false' postings as to them removed too, as well as face boycotts, harassment and cuts in revenues. I am a Democrat party loyalist, but that loyalty is strained by such stunts like the Speaker did as just feeds more hate to and voters away from Democrats, and to Trump and Republicans.

:checkmark:
I'm a moderate liberal, but I'm not a Democrat. Crap like this pushes me away from the party. Of course the person that edited this video is wrong (or probably just trolling) but these immature stunts are petty. I don't feel bad for her at all, play with fire and you'll get burned

If I were her, I'd be embarrassed to see myself ripping up the paper even in the original context.

Grow up, this is Congress, not middle school. (yes I'm blasting her but don't think I'm a fan of the GOP)

seb146

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:50 am

The disrespect in Congress toward the president did not start with Pelosi. Let's just get this out of the way right now. The floodgates for disrespect started with Bill Clinton being charged by Republicans and tried for lying about a BJ. Don't want to accept that? Fine. It started with a Republican member of Congress shouting "YOU LIE!!!" and being applauded by Republicans during Obama's SOTU address.

Republicans started this debacle and disrespect. Republicans could have ended it. They chose not to. Now they whine that they are being disrespected.

Get over it. Don't dish it out if you can't take it Republicans. All the name calling and grade school bullying from YOUR Republican leader is what led to this response. Don't deflect. Don't change the subject. You Republicans are to blame for this. You all could have taken the high road but, no. You all decided to be childish. Republicans have no right to be offended when their own tactics are used against them.

Get over it. This is your doing, Republicans. Not Pelosi. Not Biden. Not Clinton. Not Obama. Look no further than your leader.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

N583JB

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:35 am

seb146 wrote:
The disrespect in Congress toward the president did not start with Pelosi. Let's just get this out of the way right now. The floodgates for disrespect started with Bill Clinton being charged by Republicans and tried for lying about a BJ. Don't want to accept that? Fine. It started with a Republican member of Congress shouting "YOU LIE!!!" and being applauded by Republicans during Obama's SOTU address.

Republicans started this debacle and disrespect. Republicans could have ended it. They chose not to. Now they whine that they are being disrespected.

Get over it. Don't dish it out if you can't take it Republicans. All the name calling and grade school bullying from YOUR Republican leader is what led to this response. Don't deflect. Don't change the subject. You Republicans are to blame for this. You all could have taken the high road but, no. You all decided to be childish. Republicans have no right to be offended when their own tactics are used against them.

Get over it. This is your doing, Republicans. Not Pelosi. Not Biden. Not Clinton. Not Obama. Look no further than your leader.

As always, it is always something else's fault. "You MADE me pitch a tantrum!" Not a great argument, seb.

Aaron747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:05 am

N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:

As always, it is always something else's fault. "You MADE me pitch a tantrum!" Not a great argument, seb.

True, but how do you explain 45’s violations of 18 USC 1513 regarding Sondland and the Vindmans? Or are we in a new era now where law-breaking in the WH is fine so long as it’s your guy..? You’ll recall Reagan did no such thing with WH officials who testified on Iran-Contra. That’s called integrity.

DeltaMD90

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:10 am

seb146 wrote:

Give me a break Seb.

I don't care who starts it, I care who doesn't continue it and ENDS it!

Shouldn't we be the bigger person?

As someone that leans left, I will NOT get over it and shame on you for not policing our own. Who cares what the children on the other side do, let's be the grown ups in the room

(That's not gonna happen, it's gonna continue to be a clown show, and we wonder why there is so much voter apathy that makes us lose to Trump. TRUMP. Omg)

seb146

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:22 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Give me a break Seb.

As someone that leans left, I will NOT get over it and shame on you for not policing our own. Who cares what the children on the other side do, let's be the grown ups in the room

(That's not gonna happen, it's gonna continue to be a clown show, and we wonder why there is so much voter apathy that makes us lose to Trump. TRUMP. Omg)

Nope, nope, and nope. Republicans started this childish behavior in the 1990s with all the hatred and vitriol and lies about the Clinton family. So far, the only thing that has been found out about them is he cheated on her. But, the name calling and hatred continues. Not only with her but to literally EVERY Democrat. Name calling, lies, hatred. Look at the current lies and hatred of Joe Biden. OMG!!! HIS SON WORKED IN UKRAINE!!! HE IS GUILTY!!! BELIEVE US THAT THE LYING LIAR IS GUILTY OF CORRUPTION BECAUSE OF HUNTER BIDEN AND LIES!!!

The hatred and lies and vitriol over Obama. The hatred and lies and vitriol over Pelosi. The hatred and lies and vitriol over Ried. The hatred and lies and vitriol over ACA. Over literally anything and everything Democrats do. Democrats are lying and corrupt because Fox and AM radio and right wing media say so. We know they always tell the truth because they say every other outlet lies.

See how that works? Republicans want everyone to believe them and "keep an open mind" and be adult when it comes to their opinions but everyone else's opinions are lies and filled with hate and should not be considered because "liberals" hate or whatever. This is what Democrats have been dealing with since Republicans, with the help of Reagan, got rid of the Fairness Doctrine. They did not want Americans hearing both sides of the story. Just the side with the most air time. Which happens to be Republicans.

After decades of being told "you are a bunch of liars because my partisan site says so" why should we be courteous? Why should we be the bigger people? It has not worked in the past 40 years. It will not work now. We have been going high when they went lower and lower and look what it got us. We need to go low to get back to democracy they hate. They don't like it? They need to look in the mirror and know how it happened.

DeltaMD90

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:33 am

seb146 wrote:
Why should we be the bigger people?

This sums up what is wrong with this country

Aaron747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:53 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

His frustration is understandable - so is that amongst many who voted for Trump. But as you point out they exhibit the same problem - emotional immaturity.

N583JB

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:

True, but how do you explain 45’s violations of 18 USC 1513 regarding Sondland and the Vindmans? Or are we in a new era now where law-breaking in the WH is fine so long as it’s your guy..? You’ll recall Reagan did no such thing with WH officials who testified on Iran-Contra. That’s called integrity.

I'm saying that two wrongs don't make a right, and doing something wrong and stating that someone else made you do it is a copout.

N583JB

Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:38 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

They have proven time and time again that they "aren't" the bigger people. And people like seb just gobble it up. MY team would never do anything wrong!

cairns

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Pelosi loses again......

casinterest

Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:25 pm

If it hasn't been proven by now, the GOP gets their jollies from these incorrect lies and memes. They don't care that they are being lied too if it is funny. Everyday another dumb meme hits the inbox from the GOP supporters, whether on facebook or twitter. They delight in the cruel ones.

Pelosi played into it by giving them a prop. If the democrats are going to beat Trump, as this point it isn't about the higher road. it is about the crueler meme.
Where ever you go, there you are.

art

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:07 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

Chronology in video has been altered for effect, Simply dishonest distortion. Third Reich stuff.

If the people running the social media platforms concerned refuse to remove this sort of blatent falsificationwhen requested so to do, they are sanctioning the same.

AirWorthy99

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:40 pm

art wrote:
Third Reich stuff.

This is what democrats are best at doing, playing the victim card.

You guys have the entire corporate MSM at your disposal, but since you can't get your hands on social media you need to try and get into it as well.

Own up to your actions, stop blaming others. Pelosi ripped the speech, she should have known the consequences when she planned it (it was premeditated) . This is going to play all the way to the election. Face it and own it.

N583JB

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:47 pm

art wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

Chronology in video has been altered for effect, Simply dishonest distortion. Third Reich stuff.

If the people running the social media platforms concerned refuse to remove this sort of blatent falsificationwhen requested so to do, they are sanctioning the same.

No one honestly believes that Pelosi ripped up 9 copies of the speech at different points during the SOTU. This is called satire.

blueflyer

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:57 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Give me a break Seb.

Most voters will say this, that they want adults in charge, yadi yada, and they are lying to their friends and themselves. There is a long history of polls, surveys, and election results to show that the negative attacks, the lies, the disinformation work better than the high road. This will end when the reaction to a video such as this one is not "oh Nancy had it coming" but "it is unacceptable of Trump to re-tweet a falsehood and it will be a significant part of my decision process."

Unfortunately the Democrats have realized/accepted this a lot later than the Republicans. When Michelle Obama made her famous speech where she said "when they go low we go high" I wanted to scream at the television and say "no get in the damn gutter and dig lower, under the Republicans, and take the floor away from below them." Some Dems have finally realized that taking the high road and losing makes you useless in politics, and are starting to fight back at a level that makes a difference with voters, Sanders being a perfect example (getting close to being the Trump of the left).

Politicians are by and large reactive animals, not proactive thinkers. For the current malodorous state of our politics, I blame voters (aka Republicans) who didn't punish, and even rewarded, the first one to jump in the gutter, not politicians. They're only reacting to what we do (not what we say we'll do).
All Hail King Donald

DeltaMD90

Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:08 pm

casinterest wrote:
Pelosi played into it by giving them a prop.

Honestly, what was the point of her doing it? What could it possibly accomplish? Nothing, it's just the petty BS Americans far and wide are tired of.

Where is the inspiration and leadership coming from her? All I hear is "Orange man bad" drivel coming from most of the Democrat leadership. I know Orange man bad, thanks, I knew that 5 years ago. What is our plan going forward? How are we going to rally Americans for change?

We ran as the anti-Trump in 2016 and lost. Trump, for all his flaws, all his numerous, numerous, giant flaws, actually had a vision. He was not just the anti-Hillary.

That's what I fear for 2020. We have some leadership and passion from some of the candidates (some of them too far left for me honestly) but mant are keeping it 90% policy/inspiration and 10% anti-Trump.

To win, we need to give Americans reasons to vote FOR us, not just against Trump. People will come to the polls to vote for someone they like... but they might rather stay home than vote against someone.

What does this all have to do with Pelosi ripping that paper like a 5 year old having a tantrum? Everything.

Aesma

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:13 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Give me a break Seb.

The opposite argument can be made though. Maybe you can only win by going lower.

Against Trump, especially.

What Pelosi did is basically what Trump is doing on Twitter every single day, since Obama was elected.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seb146

Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:19 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pelosi played into it by giving them a prop.

Honestly, what was the point of her doing it? What could it possibly accomplish? Nothing, it's just the petty BS Americans far and wide are tired of.

Where is the inspiration and leadership coming from her? All I hear is "Orange man bad" drivel coming from most of the Democrat leadership. I know Orange man bad, thanks, I knew that 5 years ago. What is our plan going forward? How are we going to rally Americans for change?

We ran as the anti-Trump in 2016 and lost. Trump, for all his flaws, all his numerous, numerous, giant flaws, actually had a vision. He was not just the anti-Hillary.

That's what I fear for 2020. We have some leadership and passion from some of the candidates (some of them too far left for me honestly) but mant are keeping it 90% policy/inspiration and 10% anti-Trump.

To win, we need to give Americans reasons to vote FOR us, not just against Trump. People will come to the polls to vote for someone they like... but they might rather stay home than vote against someone.

What does this all have to do with Pelosi ripping that paper like a 5 year old having a tantrum? Everything.

We have been sitting through daily tantrums by the Republican leader for the past four years. All the name calling and lies and whining. The only reason Republicans are outraged is because Pelosi did it. Literally no other reason. Republican hypocrisy of the highest order. She is finally showing Democrats what we have to do: go lower. If Republicans are outraged over this show, they only have themselves to blame!

art

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:16 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
art wrote:
Third Reich stuff.

You guys have the entire corporate MSM at your disposal, but since you can't get your hands on social media you need to try and get into it as well.

Own up to your actions, stop blaming others. Pelosi ripped the speech, she should have known the consequences when she planned it (it was premeditated) . This is going to play all the way to the election. Face it and own it.

Errrr...?

I'm not from your land and do not have much idea of what you are talking about. Just like you.

You know what? I looked at this video, saw the camera apparently cut from Trump praising the veteran pilot to show Pelosi ripping up the copy of the speech while Trump continued speaking. That was enough for me. I don't like deception either by writers or makers of videos.

After reading your misguided presumptions, I looked at more of the speech, thinking I must have missed its humourous side. Unfortunately whoever composed this had a very defective sense of humour as far as I could see. In whose mind is it funny to slip in the Pelosi rip up when Trump is addressing the widow of an Iraqi vet?

I find this video to be tasteless and, since I believe you hold your nilitary in high regard, exploitative of and disrespectful to those of whom Trump was speaking.

dtw2hyd

Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:08 pm

Our own social media corps damaging democracy more than all fall foreign troll armies combined.
They are not left or right, for them it is just dollars and ratings.

Dems indirectly encouraged these corps just so it fits their Russia meddling agenda.

Sure, Russia and others meddled and continue to meddle with elections, using our own social media platforms. That is the sad part.

dfwjim1

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:00 pm

I am of the opinion that Nancy Pelosi should retire ASAP. When you look into her eyes she just doesn't seem to be with it anymore. A great career so perhaps she should now bow out and enjoy time with her family.

art

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:01 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
I am of the opinion that Nancy Pelosi should retire ASAP. When you look into her eyes she just doesn't seem to be with it anymore.

Maybe not the only one. I seem to remember 100 people being involved in the trial of a certain D Trump. I heard several say that they were prejudiced and knew what their verdict - as jurors - would be in advance. I then saw some of them solemnly swear to be impartial jurors, Guess what? They must nearly all suffer from Alzheimers or dementia because within just a day or so nearly all that 100 had forgotten they had solemnly sworn to be true jurors.

Oh. with one notable exception who said he had not forgotten his oath and thought it would be wrong not to do what he had sworn to do - to be an impartial juror.

They had a lovely term in Ireland for places where the old or demented went to live out their sunset days. Perhaps a home for the elderly and bewildered would be the right place for those confused characters to go.

Oh to be an elevated partisan - you can lie through your teeth, undermine the pillars of your society - the law and the constitution - and barely a soul cares.

On second thoughts.it might be better for homes for the elderly and bewildered to be spared such people.

DeltaMD90

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Aesma wrote:
What Pelosi did is basically what Trump is doing on Twitter every single day, since Obama was elected.
seb146 wrote:
She is finally showing Democrats what we have to do: go lower.

What was gained? What? How was this productive? In what way did this increase our election chances? How many voters were swayed by this bold action? How many undecided voters think "wow, we have a real fighter here, this wasn't petty, this was a courageous action"?

Literally nothing good came of this. She acted like a 5 year old and made the 5 year olds on the other side mad. This clown show is helping us 0 for November and I don't know about you, I would rather not have 4 more years of Trump, I want our Congress members to act like grown ups instead of "hurr durr well orange man started it durrrrr."

If I did something this petty and immature at my job, do you think I'd still have a job? Would you? Madness, and people are condoning this crap.

I want a fighter. I want the Democrats to counter Trump. But competently! Inspire America! Grow up for gods sake. We lost to this guy once already, let's not do it again

mham001

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:35 pm

art wrote:
I'm not from your land and do not have much idea of what you are talking about.

Which immediately raises the question, why are you here?

art wrote:
You know what? I looked at this video, saw the camera apparently cut from Trump praising the veteran pilot to show Pelosi ripping up the copy of the speech while Trump continued speaking. That was enough for me. I don't like deception either by writers or makers of videos.

After reading your misguided presumptions, I looked at more of the speech, thinking I must have missed its humourous side. Unfortunately whoever composed this had a very defective sense of humour as far as I could see. In whose mind is it funny to slip in the Pelosi rip up when Trump is addressing the widow of an Iraqi vet?

I find this video to be tasteless and, since I believe you hold your nilitary in high regard, exploitative of and disrespectful to those of whom Trump was speaking.

Proving you don't get it.

It sounds from your description that the editor is highlighting the fact that Nancy ripping up the entire speech disrespected everything he had to say in the speech. Exactly as she did. The video is appropo, even if it does hurt, but you need to look at the woman who provided the opportunity for this video. That she was caught preparing for the show is nothing but political gold - and always has been. Nancy screwed up.

AirWorthy99

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:48 pm

art wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
art wrote:
Third Reich stuff.

Errrr...?

I'm not from your land and do not have much idea of what you are talking about. Just like you.

Sorry thought you were from the States, I thought that if people came in to comment on internal US politics was because of local knowledge, in any case you wouldnt understand what is the State of the Union speech and how decorum is supposed to happen during it, no matter the political differences.

Aaron747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:06 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
art wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Errrr...?

Sorry thought you were from the States, I thought that if people came in to comment on internal US politics was because of local knowledge, in any case you wouldnt understand what is the State of the Union speech and how decorum is supposed to happen during it, no matter the political differences.

That’s a perfect example of typical American fishbowl mentality. There are professions overseas that require a great deal of understanding of domestic US politics, law, and the like. We have members here from the Netherlands and Germany who have consistently shown more factual command of US policy and recent history than some ‘patriots’, especially as they lack an emotional dog in the fight for added bias. I had the pleasure of knowing a couple staff economists in Japan as well who knew the inner workings of the US better than a lot of Americans I know.

As for ‘decorum’, no point getting into how silly it is to raise that point at this juncture in year 3 of the ongoing unprofessional WH shitshow.

petertenthije

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
in any case you wouldnt understand what is the State of the Union speech and how decorum is supposed to happen during it,

You make it sound like the stat of the union and decorum are a uniquely American thing.

Well, the state of the union finds its roits in the Dutch Troonrede (aka Prinsjesdag).

Decorum finds it’s roots in western society as a whole. But let’s be honest here, that ship has well and truly sailed under the Trump administration. And arguably well before that.
Attamottamotta!

art

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:57 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Sorry thought you were from the States,

Thank you. No permanent offence taken. :smile:

AirWorthy99 wrote:
I thought that if people came in to comment on internal US politics was because of local knowledge...

I was not making a comment on US internal politics. I was commenting on the deceit used in the video. Gives us foreigners a low opinion of US politicians. For me if US politicians want to rise in my estimation (which I'm sure they are all desperate to do :smile: ) they need to raise their game.
Last edited by art on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarRI1

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 pm

Decorum finds it’s roots in western society as a whole. But let’s be honest here, that ship has well and truly sailed under the Trump administration. And arguably well before that.

Absolutely, this crying wolf over Pelosi ripping up some useless paper symbolically showing her disrespect for this Oaf was well warranted. This Buffoon who insults Combat Veterans, wounded Soldiers and mimics handicapped people, grabs women and insults a woman because of her looks is a pathetic figure of a man as well as a Coward. What a man, what a Hero, none of the above fit of course. He fits not one standard of a man, a man should respect, and that is what is so troubling to me, he is the complete opposite of my standards for men and you guys defend him, pathetic to me. I cannot really express my feeling, believe me about him and others on here.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DeltaMD90

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 am

The people ecstatic over what Pelosi did remind me of whenever come right winger does something immature to "own the libs." Some of you guys are the left-wing version of that.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it so we can be nice to and engage Trump, it's more about not appearing as petty, crazy partisans incapable of having a civil conversation with moderates and even reasonable conservatives. They're out there, and banter back and forth does absolutely nothing to help anyone. ("But but the GOP did it first with Obama / Bill Clinton!" Wah, grow up.)

Some of the ones here whining about being stereotyped are some of the most blindly partisan people I've ever seen. The irony and lack of self awareness is beyond astounding

(Not you WarRI1, hope all is well with you!)

TTailedTiger

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:50 am

Aaron747 wrote:
N583JB wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Precious Presidents have fired military leaders who have openly disagreed them. Why is it only now that you have an issue with it?

Aaron747

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:54 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

Precious Presidents have fired military leaders who have openly disagreed them. Why is it only now that you have an issue with it?

Because there’s a large difference between disagreement / incompatible chemistry and providing testimony under oath. 18 USC 1513 does not protect those fired for being inadequate staff - only those who cooperate with investigations or provide testimony.

My point about Reagan’s handling of officials who testified stands.

AirWorthy99

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:26 am

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
art wrote:

Errrr...?

That’s a perfect example of typical American fishbowl mentality. There are professions overseas that require a great deal of understanding of domestic US politics, law, and the like. We have members here from the Netherlands and Germany who have consistently shown more factual command of US policy and recent history than some ‘patriots’, especially as they lack an emotional dog in the fight for added bias. I had the pleasure of knowing a couple staff economists in Japan as well who knew the inner workings of the US better than a lot of Americans I know.

As for ‘decorum’, no point getting into how silly it is to raise that point at this juncture in year 3 of the ongoing unprofessional WH shitshow.

Yeah, how many of those great professionals outside of the US, let alone inside, were able to see what was going to happen in 2016? you need more than study and academia to understand politics on the ground. Sometimes we just become too accustomed to our bubbles, we don't set foot outside of the liberal islands we live, and just believe what we want to believe. Not everything you get to learn at school, let alone studying in an ivy league school, if not where is the recession Krugman said was going to happen if Trump wins? and WWIII where is it?

As for 'decorum', I am glad you guys are finally admitting that you won't continue to play the pretend game that you guys care and are the mature ones. So the continuous comments on the 'outrageous', 'crazy' 'un-presidential' things Trump says and does, just not use them anymore, since we are now on a level playing field, and Pelosi and the rest of the Democrats really don't care pretending on putting facades of self-righteousness and 'serious leadership'.... there goes the chance to prove that the Dem's are going to 'unite back' the country.

WarRI1

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
The people ecstatic over what Pelosi did remind me of whenever come right winger does something immature to "own the libs." Some of you guys are the left-wing version of that.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it so we can be nice to and engage Trump, it's more about not appearing as petty, crazy partisans incapable of having a civil conversation with moderates and even reasonable conservatives. They're out there, and banter back and forth does absolutely nothing to help anyone. ("But but the GOP did it first with Obama / Bill Clinton!" Wah, grow up.)

Some of the ones here whining about being stereotyped are some of the most blindly partisan people I've ever seen. The irony and lack of self awareness is beyond astounding

This is what I find so infuriating these days, there is no middle ground. I went to Sunday Morning coffee get together this morning, nothing but common generalities, nobody will touch politics, nobody. The last three years, make the eight before that seem tame. I always considered good manners, respect and consideration for the less fortunate and handicapped an American common trait among most. I still have that trait. It is ingrained in me. We all know not all have it for sure, but not like this madness. I find myself on edge after I read the paper which I do everyday from end to end, everybody has an agenda. By nightfall I am saturated with bad news on TV. I will not watch these hate Mongers on the talk shows.

I now find myself radicalized, I am also convinced somebodies bots are loose on here playing us. I have never seen a man who infuriates me like Trump, he plays people like a fiddle, he has no respect for anyone, he makes Nixon almost look like a nice man. As I have said before, I have voted Republican locally and Nationally in the past, no more, they scare me, they are endangering our country and Democratic traditions for this man who is the exact opposite of a Gentlemen, he is crude, rude and loud and profane. My opinion only, this is a free country for now. I thought of you and many others who I know and knew when he fired two brave Warriors from Vietnam and the Gulf conflict for telling the truth. It grates on me and my values every day. All is well in my life, thanks for asking and I hope the same is true for you and your family. :bigthumbsup:

Aaron747

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Yeah, how many of those great professionals outside of the US, let alone inside, were able to see what was going to happen in 2016? you need more than study and academia to understand politics on the ground. Sometimes we just become too accustomed to our bubbles, we don't set foot outside of the liberal islands we live, and just believe what we want to believe. Not everything you get to learn at school, let alone studying in an ivy league school, if not where is the recession Krugman said was going to happen if Trump wins? and WWIII where is it?

As for 'decorum', I am glad you guys are finally admitting that you won't continue to play the pretend game that you guys care and are the mature ones. So the continuous comments on the 'outrageous', 'crazy' 'un-presidential' things Trump says and does, just not use them anymore, since we are now on a level playing field, and Pelosi and the rest of the Democrats really don't care pretending on putting facades of self-righteousness and 'serious leadership'.... there goes the chance to prove that the Dem's are going to 'unite back' the country.

An endless stream of non sequitur. If you care to discuss, reply again without untethered deflections in wild directions. Re-reading the post you replied to may be of help.

Aaron747

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:35 am

WarRI1 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

This is what I find so infuriating these days, there is no middle ground. I went to Sunday Morning coffee get together this morning, nothing but common generalities, nobody will touch politics, nobody. The last three years, make the eight before that seem tame. I always considered good manners, respect and consideration for the less fortunate and handicapped an American common trait among most. I still have that trait. It is ingrained in me. We all know not all have it for sure, but not like this madness. I find myself on edge after I read the paper which I do everyday from end to end, everybody has an agenda. By nightfall I am saturated with bad news on TV. I will not watch these hate Mongers on the talk shows.

I now find myself radicalized, I am also convinced somebodies bots are loose on here playing us. I have never seen a man who infuriates me like Trump, he plays people like a fiddle, he has no respect for anyone, he makes Nixon almost look like a nice man. As I have said before, I have voted Republican locally and Nationally in the past, no more, they scare me, they are endangering our country and Democratic traditions for this man who is the exact opposite of a Gentlemen, he is crude, rude and loud and profane. My opinion only, this is a free country for now. I thought of you and many others who I know and knew when he fired two brave Warriors from Vietnam and the Gulf conflict for telling the truth. It grates on me and my values every day. All is well in my life, thanks for asking and I hope the same is true for you and your family. :bigthumbsup:

Amen to that sir - I am a bit behind you in generation and years, but I constantly see what’s going on and reflexively think ‘this is not how we were brought up’ - everything from the behavior of those ‘in charge’ to the casual abandonment of values and rejection of science and critical thinking that previously made America great.

WarRI1

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:41 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

These men were fired for being truthful, I might ask ,do you know what that means to an honorable man for him to be fired for doing his duty and living up to his oath? A perversion of the worst kind. :banghead: :banghead:

WarRI1

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:52 am

Aaron747 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

Amen to that sir - I am a bit behind you in generation and years, but I constantly see what’s going on and reflexively think ‘this is not how we were brought up’ - everything from the behavior of those ‘in charge’ to the casual abandonment of values and rejection of science and critical thinking that previously made America great.

Thank goodness there are some who find this degradation of our values alarming. I think of the children, my own and others who will live with this moral train wreck being created by the Conservatives.

seb146

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:04 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
N583JB wrote:

Getting fired for disagreeing over policy is very different than getting fired for testifying. Surely you can see that.

mham001

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:42 am

petertenthije wrote:
You make it sound like the stat of the union and decorum are a uniquely American thing.

Well, the state of the union finds its roits in the Dutch Troonrede (aka Prinsjesdag).

Arguable? There is no question...

“Men in public life called each other, not just the traditional ‘liar,’ ‘poltroon,’ ‘coward,’ and ‘puppy,’ but also ‘fornicator,’ ‘madman,’ and ‘bastard;’ they accused each other of incest, treason, and consorting with the devil.” –Gentlemen’s Blood: A History of Dueling
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles ... n-history/

WarRI1

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:49 am

mham001 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

Arguable? There is no question...

“Men in public life called each other, not just the traditional ‘liar,’ ‘poltroon,’ ‘coward,’ and ‘puppy,’ but also ‘fornicator,’ ‘madman,’ and ‘bastard;’ they accused each other of incest, treason, and consorting with the devil.” –Gentlemen’s Blood: A History of Dueling
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles ... n-history/

Good history lesson, I wonder if those guys back then could claim Bone Spurs to avoid the duel? Probably not, but one can think on it. :sarcastic: :sarcastic: