Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Time for Something lighter: Great Soups of the World

Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Here are some of my favorite, which we prepare regularly. I have to watch my blood glucose, so avoid most potato, rice, noodle (but miss them):

Chinese Hot and Sour Soup - we like this for breakfast

French Onion Soup, but please leave the bread and cheese to the side!

New Orleans via French, African, Indian Gumbo - this is a new addiction

French Cassoulet with lamb shanks

? Beef Barley

Mediterranean fish Stews/Soups - French or Italian

American Clam Chowders
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

L410Turbolet

Re: Time for Something lighter: Great Soups of the World

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:05 pm

Vietnamese Pho bo
Georgian Kharco

flyingturtle

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:31 pm

Here, the literal Nothing Soup... it basically consists of a bit of flour and a bit of chopped onions... but it's a very traditional dish at the BSL carnival. It's also called "Midnight Soup".

https://fooby.ch/en/recipes/14129/tradi ... artAuto1=4
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:05 pm

Nothing Soup - had not heard of that before. Did you know you can make a roux by roasting the flour in the oven at 400 degrees until about the color of peanut butter, freezes well so I do a largish batch. Good for any soup that that calls for a roux, use the oil or fat of choice per your tasted preferences, perhaps for sauteing the veggies . This sounds good, I likely will try it.

Aaron747

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:40 pm

Pozole - the best Mexican soup. Hominy, chicken bits, onion, chilis, a hint of lime and just about anything else you like.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TSS

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:49 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Pozole - the best Mexican soup. Hominy, chicken bits, onion, chilis, a hint of lime and just about anything else you like.

Yes! We use pork in it instead of chicken, though.

Menudo is good, too. If I tell you what menudo's main ingredient is it'll just gross you out, but if you smell it cooking you'll say "Well, maybe just a little bit...".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:39 am

Cheese broccoli soup
Cream of turkey and wild rice soup
Amish chicken corn soup

WesternDC6B

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:16 pm

The Koaka Tea of Mercey. As long as it’s never strained. :duck:
Last edited by WesternDC6B on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A big heart is commendable. An enlarged heart is a medical condition.

Scotron12

Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Lentil soup...lasts for days!
Stilton n Broccoli ...yummy
Hot n Sour is a favorite too

Tugger

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:16 pm

Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden - Awesome!

We make a home version of it but this is what started it for me. My favorite soup!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

mbmbos

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:26 pm

1. Posole - pork, Hatch Valley red chile and chicas (smoked, dried hominy).
2. Ertesuppe - most people have bad memories of being forced to eat split pea soup as children, but this traditional Dutch soup, made with speck and eaten with a hearty brown bread, is amazing.
3. Potato and leek soup - there's just something about the combination of milk and potatoes.
4. Lentil soup - a reliable dish, easy to make and very meaty and filling. You can whip up a batch in less than 40 minutes.
5. Turkey and green chile soup - my own recipe.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

N14AZ

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:38 pm

Pho Hanoi, I would kill to get it one:

Source, just an example: https://hanoifreelocaltours.com/best-pho-hanoi/

Almost exactly twenty years ago I had an extremely delicious chicken soup in Belize. I was so curious about the ingredients that I contacted an a.net member with a flag of Belize in his profile, Yellowtail. He was so kind to send me two receipts but I wasn’t able to copy that awesome taste...

seb146

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:54 pm

I have tasted pho from three different places in three different states and it always tastes nasty. I would crawl over burning sand for udon, though. I eat pozole as a cure for flu or colds. If you are ever in STS, go to any Oliver's Market. They have a soup bar. At least six different kinds of soup every day. Another travel tip, when you are in SEA, take the ferry from downtown to Bainbridge Island. But, before departure, grab a bread bowl filled with Ivar's Clam Chowder.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

trpmb6

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
I have tasted pho from three different places in three different states and it always tastes nasty. I would crawl over burning sand for udon, though. I eat pozole as a cure for flu or colds. If you are ever in STS, go to any Oliver's Market. They have a soup bar. At least six different kinds of soup every day. Another travel tip, when you are in SEA, take the ferry from downtown to Bainbridge Island. But, before departure, grab a bread bowl filled with Ivar's Clam Chowder.

I concur on the ivars chowder. Dukes chowder house was always good too.

I'm a sucker for broccoli cheese soup though. Only way I'll eat broccoli.

ER757

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:17 pm

seb146 wrote:

Yes, Ivar's chowder rocks - another place in Seattle that has great chowder is Duke's, but they are pretty spendy. Probably the best clam chowder I ever had was at a little place in Bodega Bay, CA but darned if I can remember the name, was almost twenty years ago. The sourdough bread they served with it put it over the top

I really like either pumpkin or butternut squash soup

stratosphere

Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:41 pm

ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yes, Ivar's chowder rocks - another place in Seattle that has great chowder is Duke's, but they are pretty spendy. Probably the best clam chowder I ever had was at a little place in Bodega Bay, CA but darned if I can remember the name, was almost twenty years ago. The sourdough bread they served with it put it over the top

Funny that I can't stand white or Boston clam chowder which is what you will find in most of the US. But I love Manhattan clam chowder which is a tomato based soup found mostly in NY and NJ.

PhilBy

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:01 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

French Cassoulet with lamb shanks

Unless that lamb quacks it's not French Cassoulet!

was that Cassoulet Toulousain, Villefranche or Carcassonne?

Irish Stew.

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 pm

I avoid nomenclature discussions. But duck along with lamb are my go to treats. Humorously, the more I read about gumbo the more humor I saw. Everyone's grandma made it different, and everyone says their grandma's was the best - I believed them all. Between all of them they broke all of the iron clad gumbo rules. I think most authorities agree that much of French cuisine came from the countryside - and those grandmas. Much of my cooking is 'my grandma' inspired.

Francoflier

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 am

Dan Dan noodle soup.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

BartSimpson

Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:55 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Minestrone yet...

Apart from that, alot of the "simple" soups are just great soul kitchen, like a creamy pea soup, a cabbage soup or a spring vegetable soup.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Bat curry continues to fly off the shelves in Indonesian markets despite links to coronavirus, as traders boast 'it is always sold out' and defy orders to take it off the menu

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... fears.html

Bats are traditionally eaten by the Minahasan people from North Sulawesi in the form of a curry-like dish called Paniki. Whole bats are used in the dish, including the head and wings of the bat. In the capital Jakarta, vendors selling skinned snakes and cobra blood on a recent Saturday night didn't have any trouble finding takers. 'It's good for you, sir,' said one vendor of his slithering fare. 'Cures and prevents all diseases.'

Restaurateur Lince Rengkuan - who serves bats including their heads and wings stewed in coconut milk and spices - says the secret is preparation. 'If you don't cook the bat well then of course it can be dangerous,' she said. 'We cook it thoroughly and so far the number of customers hasn't gone down at all.'

We have a lot to learn from the rest of the world.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

T18

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:29 pm

The hardest thing with soups is getting that exact right viscosity. Too thick and I find it gross and too thin you may as well drink it. However I would much prefer my soup too thin, its much easier to deal with or fix.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Channex757

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:39 pm

A Northern English delicacy is pea soup and dumplings, optionally made with a ham hock and simmered for hours. Top with dumplings and then into the oven for a crunchy and pillow-soft topping.

Proper winter food. The ham hock releases its fatty flavour and the meat will flake away.

dtw2hyd

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:43 pm

If you ever happened to go for buffet at an Indian Restaurant, try Rasam. Very spicy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasam
https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/slurp ... re-1798409
All posts are just opinions.

N14AZ

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
If you ever happened to go for buffet at an Indian Restaurant, try Rasam. Very spicy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasam
https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/slurp ... re-1798409

I had one several weeks ago in an Indian restaurant. I like spicy food but holy cow, this soup was really spicy :hot:

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:26 pm

Rasam: Had not read about that before, kind of like a 3rd cousin to a thin Tex-Mex chili.

ps - with spicier foods I make them fully flavorful, but only a little 'hot'. There are dozens of chili sauce for people to hotten their food at the table. I usually make a couple of them available.

B777LRF

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:58 am

Hungarian Goulash Soup. Best enjoyed in Alpine settings during the winter.
Signature. You just read one.

mrgrtt123

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 am

Wonton Soup will be on top of my favorite.

Francoflier

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 am

Oh, Singapore Laksa...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

anrec80

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:26 am

Russian/Ukrainian Borscht.

SL1200MK2

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 pm

I’m not sure how traditional it is but there’s a spot in DC that had ma po tofu noodle soup. Easily my favorite

Bongodog49

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:08 pm

Cullen Skink
Broccoli & Stilton
Scotch Broth
Cock a leekie

ER757

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 pm

stratosphere wrote:
ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Funny that I can't stand white or Boston clam chowder which is what you will find in most of the US. But I love Manhattan clam chowder which is a tomato based soup found mostly in NY and NJ.

I like both varieties - when I have it at home it is usually Manhattan style

N14AZ

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:05 pm

My wife just had a Tom kha kai soup in our favorite Vietnamese restaurant. Very delicious:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_kha_kai

NIKV69

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:34 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Russian/Ukrainian Borscht.

Yes!

Also If done right nothing beats heavy egg drop soup. OMG!
I am the Googlizer!!!