Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Could OnTrac be the next to drop Amazon?

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:57 pm

With FedEx abandoning Amazon last year, I was wondering, do you think OnTrac could be the next to follow suit? I rarely get Amazon deliveries via OnTrac anymore, and most of my OnTrac deliveries are now from retailers other than Amazon. Amazon Logistics has taken much of the Same-Day business from OnTrac, and besides Amazon Logistics the One-Day and Two-Day deliveries generally come either via USPS or UPS. Do you think OnTrac could take FedEx's lead in abandoning Amazon?
Real Men Wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD Shirts and Shorts

frmrCapCadet

Re: Could OnTrac be the next to drop Amazon?

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 am

Here locally OnTrac has consistently offered poor service and mostly provided by unnecessarily scruffy looking people. Our condo has a procedure for delivery services but OnTrac has not followed up.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:22 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Here locally OnTrac has consistently offered poor service and mostly provided by unnecessarily scruffy looking people. Our condo has a procedure for delivery services but OnTrac has not followed up.

I know in the West Valley of the Phoenix area OnTrac for a while was the #2 carrier in terms of frequency behind AMZL. I wonder whether or not that is still the case. Here USPS is #2 and UPS is #3 in frequency for Amazon shipments. OnTrac was more common in the past but is now rare. FedEx was almost never used where I live; they have only been used once when I paid to upgrade to One-Day shipping when Amazon didn't include it standard with Prime back in 2017.

mham001

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:32 am

I'm pretty sure Fedex was not the one abandoning the situation. They simply knew what was coming. Amazon felt no effects. In San Jose, there are 7 contract delivery companies, making the majority of deliveries over UPS and USPS. In addition, there is a fleet of independent FLEX drivers.

seb146

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:36 am

OnTrac is sketchy at best. I wonder what is going on with UPS and Amazon. Only a select few UPS drop sites have the Amazon QR Code reader. I know a lot of people around here are frustrated they have to either drive 160 miles round trip to drop their Amazon package or pay an extra charge for a standard UPS label.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:52 pm

Here is a news article that OnTrac may be preparing to move most its volume away from Amazon:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/new-o ... ter-amazon

Ironically, Amazon is what made OnTrac successful. Now with Amazon doing a lot of its own deliveries, OnTrac needs to keep its business afloat, so it appears they might be taking FedEx's lead and focusing on the broader e-commerce market and less on the Amazon business. OnTrac has a smaller share of Amazon deliveries than USPS or UPS, so OnTrac will need to adapt.

seb146

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 am

OnTrac needs to be able to offer next day or same day delivery. Even if they team up with, say eBay, OnTrac still needs to get product to customers as fast as possible.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:19 am

seb146 wrote:
OnTrac needs to be able to offer next day or same day delivery. Even if they team up with, say eBay, OnTrac still needs to get product to customers as fast as possible.

Actually, OnTrac does offer next-day delivery, and used to offer same-day delivery for Amazon in select markets until Amazon shifted the same-day load to Amazon Logistics. OnTrac's next-day ground service areas in fact are generally larger than UPS or FedEx Ground. While OnTrac's Amazon business is in decline, they continue to gain share other retailers, such as Walmart, Home Depot, Best Buy, Sephora, and Newegg, among many others. Also, OnTrac remains an option for Amazon's Seller Fulfilled Prime program alongside UPS and FedEx (as well as USPS Priority Mail Express).

frmrCapCadet

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:51 am

Won't miss them. They did a lousy job in our area.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)