sonicruiser
Topic Author

Updated: More than 100 U.S. troops diagnosed with brain injuries from Iran attack

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Trump downplayed numerous brain injuries from Iran's retaliation as "not serious" and dismissed them as "headaches."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/24/politics ... index.html
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated after merging threads

frmrCapCadet

Re: 34 US soldiers diagnosed with critical brain injuries after Iran strike, Trump dismisses brain injuries as "headache

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:49 pm

He knows more than doctors.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

luckyone

Re: 34 US soldiers diagnosed with critical brain injuries after Iran strike, Trump dismisses brain injuries as "headache

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

"No doctor knows more about traumatic brain injury than I do!"

casinterest

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Seems to be severe headaches to evacaute to Germany and the US( 1) for these soldiers.

it would seem the blasts were much closer and more powerful than we knew.

Glad they are all alive . Hopefully there is nothing beyond concussions.
Where ever you go, there you are.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:32 pm

In his defense, and this is a little lame, it was better than starting yet another unending war. So all in all I am relieved, but wish he would act on campaign hinted promises and just get us out of most of the mid-east. He can call it victory or whatever.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

DDR

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:37 pm

So 17 are being treated and the rest are already back at work. Best wishes to those still being treated. “No US soldiers were injured” seems to not exactly have been the truth.

wingman

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:59 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

In his defense blast concussions are nowhere near as serious as toe jam, or whatever it was that sidelined Trump during Nam. These pussies need to take an aspirin and get their asses back to the front lines. It's embarrassing that they cowering in bunkers instead of taking the incoming rounds like men.

jetero

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:25 am

I wonder why Trump hates the troops.

SanDiegoLover

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:27 am

Here’s Trump presser being a dismissive dick calling TBIs “nothing serious” and mere “headaches”. We also have no idea how many Iraqis were maimed or injured.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1219 ... ries-davos

SanDiegoLover

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:28 am

jetero wrote:

He likes troops that don’t get blown up.

jetero

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:00 am

SanDiegoLover wrote:
jetero wrote:

He likes troops that don’t get blown up.

You forgot the obligatory Trumpspeak “like a dog.”

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:09 am

Well, let’s rub Trump’s nose in it so he can retaliate by bombing Iran. Sorry, but he did NOT create a war that so many wanted him to do, but others are cheering war on.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:15 am

Sadly too the world's media was prevented from or didn't look for the truth of the severity of injuries to US and Iraqi soldiers, don't want the truth to get in the way of encouraging a new war front for the MIC.

Aaron747

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:37 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Well, let’s rub Trump’s nose in it so he can retaliate by bombing Iran. Sorry, but he did NOT create a war that so many wanted him to do, but others are cheering war on.

That isn’t so much the issue as poo-pooing traumatic brain injury.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jetero

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:53 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Well that’s very telling. “Don’t poke the insane bear, he’ll get his feelings hurt so bad he’ll go to war with Iran.”

The sad part is, I agree with you, it’s completely plausible.

What a sad state of affairs in our country.

But ... FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:59 am

You guys it's just semantics. The GOP today has just made some small word changes to clarify their positions, like traumatic brain injury = headache, or homicidal war criminal = hero veteran.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Congrats on finding the lowest possible bar. Wow--he didn't burn down the place in a mess of his creation. Much smart. Very peace.
E pur si muove -Galileo

CaptHadley

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:16 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Stay on target Beavis, we're talking about drumpf saying soldiers who suffered concussions just have "headaches" F'n kidding me? It's obvious that drumpf is NOT a true patriot, again why does he hate the troops so much? Is he jealous that he was unable to enlist due to his bone spurs?

dmg626

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:28 am

So a concussion is now termed a “critical brain injury”?

seb146

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:30 am

His kids were never and will never be on the front lines. He does not care about those out there. He says they are babies. He complains about every little thing that does not benefit him. He hates the military and his party will not correct him.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

CaptHadley

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:25 am

dmg626 wrote:

Shhh, listen, i'm gonna give you some info but you have to promise you'll keep it on the down low. This is some mind blowing info, ready? Ok, here it is, CTE, boom, wow! You need to google CTE, it's mind blowing man, tripping I tell ya.
https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-re ... hat-is-CTE

seahawk

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:30 am

So the US will soon ban boxing, American Football, soccer and other sports?

emperortk

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:49 pm

seahawk wrote:

I love it when non-sequiturs come as interrogatives!!

Kno

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:14 pm

My mother’s severe brain injury destroyed her life and had a major impact on mine growing up.

My heart goes out to all the soldiers and their families who will be dealing with that.

zkojq

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:44 pm

Can you imagine the reaction and outrage if Obama said something like that about the troops? :eyepopping:
First to fly the 787-9

petertenthije

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:36 pm

zkojq wrote:
Can you imagine the reaction and outrage if Obama said something like that about the troops? :eyepopping:

Considering Fox went after him for saluting while holding a coffee, yeah... I can imagine the outrage.
Attamottamotta!

DeltaMD90

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:58 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Wow, what are you talking about? Which posters wanted Trump to retaliate more and want a war??? The ones that wanted none of this in the first place?

I'm honestly shocked at our bases' lack of preparation. It seems like luck that none one died and that Iran could have easily killed our troops.

Please, someone in favor of the Soleimani strike (the way it all went down, not if he was a bad guy or not,) please explain the logic behind all this:

- So we killed Soleimani... What did we think was gonna happen, nothing? If so, that's extreme incompetence.
- Assuming they aren't extremely incompetent and expected a reaction, we went ahead with the strike and did nothing to protect our troops? A missile strike on our bases was not an obvious choice of retaliation? Again, they didn't think that, extreme incompetence.
- They strike our bases and we didn't intercept nor tried to intercept any missile and just relied on our guys running into bunkers and many of them suffered injuries. Great strategy and preparation.

To me, it looks like we went into the strike taking 0 precautions of what would happen. 0. The strike and these injuries are embarrassing and had President Obama let this happen we'd hear wailing about it for the next 50 years. I can't believe people are defending this act (and I'm not even talking about if we should have killed Soleimani, I'm talking about the carelessness surrounding how we did it)

petertenthije

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:52 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Please, someone in favor of the Soleimani strike (the way it all went down, not if he was a bad guy or not,) please explain the logic behind all this:
I was not and am not in favor of killing Soleimani, but let me contribute my two cents anyway.

The Pentagon gave Trump three options to retaliate against Iran. Killing Soleimani was one of them, but considered so harsh that no sane person would take that option.

So Trump went for the insane option, and ordered the strike to happen ASAP. It does not take much time to press a button for a missile strike. But the Pentagon had not nearly enough time to put up defensive measures. Or even to think through how Iran might respond.

Alternatively, they Pentagon might have assumed Iran's response would be a somewhat half-arsed response, sinking an oil tanker or something like that.
Attamottamotta!

emperortk

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:42 pm

petertenthije wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Considering Fox went after him for saluting while holding a coffee, yeah... I can imagine the outrage.

Not just a coffee, a latte! :eek:

emperortk

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:47 pm

SanDiegoLover wrote:
VFW group demands apology from Trump. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/25/politics ... index.html

Why? His casual dismissal of serious brain injuries was PERFECT! But just in case, it's a good thing president numbnuts has the BEST apologies.

SanDiegoLover

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:55 pm

emperortk wrote:
SanDiegoLover wrote:
VFW group demands apology from Trump. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/25/politics ... index.html

Why? His casual dismissal of serious brain injuries was PERFECT! But just in case, it's a good thing president numbnuts has the BEST apologies.

Does he? I’ve never heard him apologize for anything, ever. I just asked God if he had ever heard one from him, God said he hadn’t either. Hmmmm....

Tugger

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:33 pm

TDS continues as evidenced by Trump's defenders who will dismiss anything to not say he is wrong or incorrect in what he is saying or thinking.

TDS is something with Trump supporters not anyone else because they cannot admit to anything he does as being wrong, I actually think they can't see it/process it in their minds, hence the derangement..

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

jetero

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:40 pm

seahawk wrote:

Right after we ban war, buddy.

Never too late to apologize ...

Max Q

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:49 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

That’s a truly pathetic response but typical of the cult this epic moron has inspired

Change the subject, blame it on Obama, the usual crap

You know better GXF
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 pm

dmg626 wrote:

Repetitive concussions can lead to critical brain injuries. Hence the reason why many boxers and NFL players are suffering from serious brain injuries during or after there careers.

dmg626

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:19 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Repetitive concussions can lead to critical brain injuries. Hence the reason why many boxers and NFL players are suffering from serious brain injuries during or after there careers.

Understood. Just wanted to verify now that any concussion is now termed a “critical brain injury”? Used to be “mild”, but critical grabs more attention.

THS214

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:08 pm

DDR wrote:
So 17 are being treated and the rest are already back at work. Best wishes to those still being treated. “No US soldiers were injured” seems to not exactly have been the truth.

Released from hospital or back at work?

THS214

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:25 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Understood. Just wanted to verify now that any concussion is now termed a “critical brain injury”? Used to be “mild”, but critical grabs more attention.[/quote]

Several days in hospital is not concussion. Its most likely severe brain injury but possibly critical brain injury. Many of those soldiers will not get what they were. See, when there is damage in brains it can't be reversed. Blooding can be stopped in a surgery but the area destroyed will remain. Unfortunately those soldiers still in hospital don't have good prognosis.

SanDiegoLover

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:29 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Understood. Just wanted to verify now that any concussion is now termed a “critical brain injury”? Used to be “mild”, but critical grabs more attention.

Incorrect. A “simple” concussion is now diagnosed as a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI). Due to extensive studies and research we now know there is no such thing as a “harmless” or “benign” concussion (mild TBI). The long term damage we now know is cumulative and persistent. Given our studies into CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy) of football players, soldiers, and other athletes that suffer blunt force trauma and concussion blasts by IEDs we have a much better understanding of the health impact they cause.

Several of these soldiers have been out of commission and at the hospital for 2+ weeks. That indicates severe TBI cases. Nothing to laugh about or dismiss.

Aesma

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:11 pm

The Iranian attack came days after the assassination, right ? So there was time to prepare. I also read that the US communicated (through Switzerland) to Iran "you can retaliate, just do something proportional", so the US did expect something. And finally, Iran warned of the attack hours before launching it, and used ballistic missiles that the US could see well in advance.

Clearly, a congressional investigation is in order.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DeltaMD90

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:51 pm

petertenthije wrote:

So Trump went for the insane option, and ordered the strike to happen ASAP. It does not take much time to press a button for a missile strike. But the Pentagon had not nearly enough time to put up defensive measures. Or even to think through how Iran might respond.

Exactly, it seems like this decision was rushed without any sort of critical thinking. Seems like he just YOLOed it.

I don't agree with the killing... I think Soleimani was not a good guy and I shed 0 tears for him, but it's more complicated than "he's a solider, soldiers die." But, even though I disagree with the killing, I can at least see arguments for it.

My main criticism is HOW we went about it. Supporters of taking out Soleimani, so you think it was handled well?? Do you seriously think it was well thought out? We had a bunch of missiles explode very closely to our soldiers. No one died, sure, but don't you see how close some were to major harm?

Unacceptable, if you make the decision to kill him, freaking prepare for the aftermath!!!!!!!!!! I've yet to see a good response to this

THS214

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:01 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

Exactly, it seems like this decision was rushed without any sort of critical thinking. Seems like he just YOLOed it.

I don't agree with the killing... I think Soleimani was not a good guy and I shed 0 tears for him, but it's more complicated than "he's a solider, soldiers die." But, even though I disagree with the killing, I can at least see arguments for it.

My main criticism is HOW we went about it. Supporters of taking out Soleimani, so you think it was handled well?? Do you seriously think it was well thought out? We had a bunch of missiles explode very closely to our soldiers. No one died, sure, but don't you see how close some were to major harm?

Unacceptable, if you make the decision to kill him, freaking prepare for the aftermath!!!!!!!!!! I've yet to see a good response to this

You are a smart person so I know you understand. No-one can stop missiles. There's no technology for that. One out of ten ok but rest will come trough. That's what happened here and only preparation US could have done is withdrawn all the troops outside the range.

Max Q

Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:20 am

Israel has been stopping missiles for years

They intercept them in flight, their record in this is almost perfect these days

Are they ‘ no one’ ?

GGg

petertenthije

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:15 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
freaking prepare for the aftermath!!!!!!!!!! I've yet to see a good response to this

I think it is fair to say that since WW2 the Pentagon has not entered a single mayor conflict with a good escape plan, or a credible plan to win “hearts and minds” once the fighting is (supposedly) over. The idea usually seems to be that the USA will be accepted with open arms as liberators.
Attamottamotta!

Aesma

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:44 am

Max Q wrote:

They intercept them in flight, their record in this is almost perfect these days

Are they ‘ no one’ ?

They're rockets not ballistic missiles.

But Aegis should be able to stop missiles.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Max Q

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 am

Aesma wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Are they ‘ no one’ ?

Israel has stopped both

GGg

GDB

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:18 am

Aesma wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Are they ‘ no one’ ?

For 15 years the US has had a system to counter this sort of attack;
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/3604-2/

Even one the the Allies Trump so dislikes (his 'Allies' are generally not those of the US) had these in 2009, (I know this not from the link but was reminded of it in the first place, from what a friend told me when he was in the British Army in Iraq and they came under rocket and mortar fire).

Like others have said, Trump is as incompetent as much as corrupt.
Any idiot can see that, regardless of political leanings, at least rational political leanings.

Aesma

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 am

Again, we're talking about big bad very fast ballistic missiles, not makeshift rockets or mortar shells !

You need fast missiles with a good air-defense system to try and take them down.

afcjets

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:26 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Sadly too the world's media was prevented from or didn't look for the truth of the severity of injuries to US and Iraqi soldiers, don't want the truth to get in the way of encouraging a new war front for the MIC.

Did it ever occur to you that Trump downplaying it in the media is to prevent having to get into a war with Iran?

jetero

Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:29 pm

afcjets wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Did it ever occur to you that Trump downplaying it in the media is to prevent having to get into a war with Iran?

Well, if that were his real concern he could’ve started with not, er, assassinating an Iranian general.

But, sure, there’s not such a thing as too many apologists in Trump World.