NIKV69
Topic Author

Daniel the Golden Retriever robbed!

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:39 am

I watch the Westminster Dog Show every year and I have to tell you I know how the Poodle and other Breeds seem to get the nod more often than not but this time I was mad.

I love Apple TV because with the App I was able to watch Breed judging all day and saw Daniel win the Golden Breed. Now we all now how great the Golden is. I think they are part Human and they are just incredible so watching Daniel and his very enthusiastic handler I said the night group judging would be interesting.

Of course the crowds at MSG are raucous and I knew Daniel would get a great reception which he did and then when he was one of the finalists and then the judge pointed to him as the sporting group winner I went nuts! Then Daniel actually jumped and hugged his handler! It was some moment made even better when he took his ribbon in his mouth and pranced around like he was the Alpha dog.

Well as we got to best in show I was more worried about the Boxer but I kept saying the WKC has never given best in show to a Golden for over 140 years and this Golden was just killing it and the stars were aligning and it was time yet only to get the rugged pulled out from under him for that dang Poodle!

I am glad many are incensed and the internet has been ablaze with people showing love for Daniel. He gave us some great moments at the Garden.

We have a woman at work that brings her Golden sometimes and we go to her car and give him his love. He loves to stick his head out the window because he knows we are going to pet him.

Here is to the Golden. Truly one of the most special dogs, and to Daniel you did everything but win.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/nati ... w/2308663/
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

johns624

Re: Daniel the Golden Retriever robbed!

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm

I've had two rescue Goldens and they are the best. I much prefer the "field" variety, though.

Pyrex

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Daniel was great, but the Habanese was pretty cool too. One of those two should have been named Top Dog, not the Poodle.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

johns624

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm

The AKC is ruining the breeds. Have you noticed how the Golden Retriever has changed over the years, due to their "standards"? They used to be redder, taller, with a narrower skull and shorter fur. Now, they are shorter, stockier, with a wider skull and longer hair. They don't make good hunting dogs anymore since they don't have the endurance and their coat will attract burrs. At least the personality hasn't been bred out of them.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:55 pm

johns624 wrote:
I've had two rescue Goldens and they are the best. I much prefer the "field" variety, though.

Oh man I tweeted a pic of the Boxer to my buddy who is a huge Boxer rescue and he yelled at me because the ears were pinned. I know what you are saying.

Pyrex wrote:
Daniel was great, but the Habanese was pretty cool too. One of those two should have been named Top Dog, not the Poodle.

If Daniel didn't get it I wanted the Sheltie he also was just amazing.

johns624 wrote:
The AKC is ruining the breeds. Have you noticed how the Golden Retriever has changed over the years, due to their "standards"? They used to be redder, taller, with a narrower skull and shorter fur. Now, they are shorter, stockier, with a wider skull and longer hair. They don't make good hunting dogs anymore since they don't have the endurance and their coat will attract burrs. At least the personality hasn't been bred out of them.

I know the Golden has almost turned into a non-sporting dog. So true.

johns624

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:56 pm

If their ears were longer, they'd look like overgrown cocker spaniels...
My first rescue was a big male named Bear, for obvious reasons. He ran about 85lbs. My vet hired a new asst. vet, fresh out of school. The first thing she said when she walked into the examining room was "your dog is 20lbs overweight". I replied "No he's not". She repeated it again and I said "feel his ribs". She was stubborn and we went back-and-forth a couple more times until she did as I asked. She realized that he was solid and shut up. She must have had the AKC weight charts memorized and didn't look at the size (height and length) of the dog in front of her. She was very cute but I never saw her again, thank goodness!

NIKV69
Topic Author

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:55 pm

johns624 wrote:
If their ears were longer, they'd look like overgrown cocker spaniels...
My first rescue was a big male named Bear, for obvious reasons. He ran about 85lbs. My vet hired a new asst. vet, fresh out of school. The first thing she said when she walked into the examining room was "your dog is 20lbs overweight". I replied "No he's not". She repeated it again and I said "feel his ribs". She was stubborn and we went back-and-forth a couple more times until she did as I asked. She realized that he was solid and shut up. She must have had the AKC weight charts memorized and didn't look at the size (height and length) of the dog in front of her. She was very cute but I never saw her again, thank goodness!

LOL I hear ya the Breed Standards are really interesting I went and read a few after my Boxer buddy went nuts. Arguments are made for every different thing.

casinterest

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 pm

I do love this write-up.

https://news.avclub.com/westminster-dog ... 1841634001

On one paw was Daniel, a gorgeously groomed and maniacally cute golden retriever that represented honest, hard-working, sometimes literally blue-collared dogs across the world; on the other was Siba, a "edited"-up looking standard poodle that appeared to have been created through a secret deep state project meant to combine a feather duster and box of matchsticks with a pinch of dog genetics.

Sad state of affairs for the AKC.
I myself have always preferred mixes. I think you get the best dogs when they are mutts.
Where ever you go, there you are.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:05 am

casinterest wrote:
I do love this write-up.

https://news.avclub.com/westminster-dog ... 1841634001

On one paw was Daniel, a gorgeously groomed and maniacally cute golden retriever that represented honest, hard-working, sometimes literally blue-collared dogs across the world; on the other was Siba, a "edited"-up looking standard poodle that appeared to have been created through a secret deep state project meant to combine a feather duster and box of matchsticks with a pinch of dog genetics.

Sad state of affairs for the AKC.
I myself have always preferred mixes. I think you get the best dogs when they are mutts.

I love it! I also how so many are outraged! I still love when he had his ribbon in his mouth. He knew he won! What a dog.

seb146

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:07 am

We have a Pug, so I would argue that Biggie was robbed. I have a soft spot for American Staffordshire Terriers. They are so sweet.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NIKV69
Topic Author

Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:40 pm

seb146 wrote:
We have a Pug, so I would argue that Biggie was robbed. I have a soft spot for American Staffordshire Terriers. They are so sweet.

I am partial to Pugs too and Biggie was awesome. There was a Pug a while ago at Westminster think his name was Boo who was even more incredible and he got screwed too!