1337Delta764
Topic Author

Your favorite holiday treats

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:16 pm

I was wondering, if you have specific treats for specific holidays, what are your favorites?

I personally like red velvet cake for Christmas, and strawberry cake for Valentine's Day, both with cream cheese frosting. I recently made some strawberry cupcakes this past Valentine's Day.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Jouhou

Re: Your favorite holiday treats

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:46 pm

I too like the colors red and pink for my sweets. Pink is my favorite flavor of donut (It's different from strawberry, but it's good). Likewise, red velvet is better than chocolate. But pink is a better flavor than red. It also doesn't give you scary red dye poop either.
情報

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:12 pm

I am considering making some cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day. I usually buy Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mixes, but I just wonder what should I make. Making cupcakes from scratch I think would be a lot of work. Nobody seems to offer a green velvet cake mix. I could just buy a white cake mix and add green food coloring to it, but I would prefer something with a bit more flavor. I remember there used to be a green key lime pie-flavored cake mix (I forgot the brand), but I think it has been discontinued.

Usually, my go-to frosting are the smaller portions of Pillsbury, since they are the perfect size for one box of cake mix when making cupcakes. Typically I prefer cream cheese frosting for red velvet and strawberry. For yellow and chocolate cakes I usually prefer chocolate fudge frosting. For white cakes I typically prefer vanilla frosting. Last Christmas I dyed the cream cheese frosting on my red velvet cupcakes green.

Jouhou

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:56 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
I am considering making some cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day. I usually buy Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mixes, but I just wonder what should I make. Making cupcakes from scratch I think would be a lot of work. Nobody seems to offer a green velvet cake mix. I could just buy a white cake mix and add green food coloring to it, but I would prefer something with a bit more flavor. I remember there used to be a green key lime pie-flavored cake mix (I forgot the brand), but I think it has been discontinued.

Usually, my go-to frosting are the smaller portions of Pillsbury, since they are the perfect size for one box of cake mix when making cupcakes. Typically I prefer cream cheese frosting for red velvet and strawberry. For yellow and chocolate cakes I usually prefer chocolate fudge frosting. For white cakes I typically prefer vanilla frosting. Last Christmas I dyed the cream cheese frosting on my red velvet cupcakes green.

My little brother as a kid liked the color green, so my mom always gave him green cake. The coloring works well. You could make a vanilla cake with green coloring and use the key lime frosting (if they still sell that, not sure if they still do)

I think there's no green velvet because red velvet takes advantage of how red and pink hues look like tasty food owing to their association with berries. Also old recipes used natural dyes like beet juice, and older local recipes I've seen actually used tomato soup (no idea how that would taste). Green isn't a color we associate with sweet things, since it's mostly associated with veggies.
情報

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:13 am

Jouhou wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

I think there's no green velvet because red velvet takes advantage of how red and pink hues look like tasty food owing to their association with berries. Also old recipes used natural dyes like beet juice, and older local recipes I've seen actually used tomato soup (no idea how that would taste). Green isn't a color we associate with sweet things, since it's mostly associated with veggies.

Not just with veggies; green represents a sour taste to many since it is the color of limes and many unripe fruit.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:13 am

This green velvet recipe might be fairly easy to make:
https://hoosierhomemade.com/green-velve ... ricks-day/

Since it is made from the traditional yellow cake mix ingredients plus buttermilk, cocoa, and green food coloring, this should be fairly straightforward. This is one of the options I might consider for St. Patrick's Day.

mrgrtt123

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:48 am

I love Gingerbread man cookies during Christmas. Having a pumpkin cake roll during Halloween is also a must.

CaptHadley

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:38 am

I like black licorice, cause it’s black, like my soul.

B777LRF

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:23 am

Did you send your cute cousin a few of those cakes, or did you only text her d1ck pics?
Signature. You just read one.

Maloak33

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:04 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Did you send your cute cousin a few of those cakes, or did you only text her d1ck pics?

Was "d1ck picks" really necessary?

Favorite holiday treats for me..... Biltong all around.

Mal.
Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

LovePlanes74

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:51 pm

Parkin at bonfire night