AA747123
Topic Author

Disney raises prices to over $200 for a single day ticket!

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:07 am

Wow, Micky and Minnie are getting awfully greedy! Over $200 for a single day two park ticket!

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a30900 ... x3GdaUqYSE

flyguy89

Re: Disney raises prices to over $200 for a single day ticket!

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:24 am

People still pay it though, crazily enough. Simple supply and demand.

Classa64

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:34 am

Does this mean the Disney+ cost per month is going to go down in price. :rotfl:
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

trpmb6

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:38 am

I really don't understand the appeal to be honest.

mrgrtt123

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 am

Oh wow, that surely is a massive increase, now I feel like I will be deprived of going back to Disneyland to remind me of my childhood memories.

sonicruiser

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:58 am

Someone at Disney has been watching too much Gordon Gekko.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

DL717

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 am

It’s about crowd control. Besides, have you seen ticket prices at Universal? It’s about $180 and then hit you for another $100 for an express pass. Or you can buy the “ultimate” ticket for $400. They better get you a playboy bunny and wipe your butt for that one.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

seb146

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:52 am

On Saturdays and holidays, the price for a park-hopper pass is over $200. But, a one park ticket, mid week is much, much less. The last time the brosband and I went, I had a free one day pass to Disneyland. So, we bought two three day park hopper passes and, in addition, he bought one, one day pass for Disneyland. His one one-day pass cost more than the three day pass, per day.

And I would totally go again!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:31 am

trpmb6 wrote:

Basics are gonna basic. I went a couple times as a kid but already wanted to do only the coasters by 9 or so. Grew up on ‘Reading Rainbow’, not Di$ney pablum.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Kiwirob

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:00 am

trpmb6 wrote:

Says the person without children.

seb146

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:17 am

Kiwirob wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

We have no children. I want to go every chance I get. The brosband thinks it is a waste of time and money. To each their own. He is wrong but it is adorable he thinks he is right. ;)

FearsomePuppet

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:57 am

WOW... 200$ is a little bit overpriced. I mean, Disney is amazing and stuff. But paying that amount of money for an overcrowded park, millions of people, always the lines... too much

Redd

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:04 am

seb146 wrote:
He is wrong but it is adorable he thinks he is right. ;)

:rotfl:

Are you sure you aren't my last ex-girlfirend?

NWAESC

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 am

Kiwirob wrote:

I have 2 kids, and I think my wife and I had more fun at Disney than they did!
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

WidebodyPTV

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Hard to believe now, but I paid less than $200 for a park hopping annual, non restricted, annual pass for DL/CA less than 15 years ago...

DL717 wrote:
It’s about crowd control. Besides, have you seen ticket prices at Universal? It’s about $180 and then hit you for another $100 for an express pass. Or you can buy the “ultimate” ticket for $400. They better get you a playboy bunny and wipe your butt for that one.

It has nothing to do with crowd control. Consider last summer, when Disneyland restricted/limited annual passholders and attendance fell, despite the opening of the new Star Wars Land. If Disney truly wanted to control crowds, it could simply tweak the annual pass program -- e.g. limit the number of visits during periods the parks are forecasted to be busy, and require reservations for additional visits (Disney has experimented with such reservations on its new, "budget" annual passes for Disneyland). For example, an AP holder could be guaranteed X admissions over the summer period, and once the allotment was used up, they could request access via reservations for additional dates, and Disney -- depending on attendance levels -- would clear a variable number of those. This would prevent the same fanatics who pay $1400 per person to go to Disneyland every single day of the year, from impeding on the enjoyment of an out-of-state family who paid over $100 per person, per day -- not counting their lodging, etc.

But of course, the fanatics go to Disneyland whether it's a beautiful summer or a chilly winter day, ultimately dumping thousands more of their cash into meals and other incidental charges. Alas, it's not about crowd control - it's about maximizing revenues (which obviously any business should strive to do, but it's certainly not done to control crowds... Disney doesn't care how miserably crowded its parks are in the summer, as long as people keep coming and spending).

DL717

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:07 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
Hard to believe now, but I paid less than $200 for a park hopping annual, non restricted, annual pass for DL/CA less than 15 years ago...

DL717 wrote:

It has nothing to do with crowd control. Consider last summer, when Disneyland restricted/limited annual passholders and attendance fell, despite the opening of the new Star Wars Land. If Disney truly wanted to control crowds, it could simply tweak the annual pass program -- e.g. limit the number of visits during periods the parks are forecasted to be busy, and require reservations for additional visits (Disney has experimented with such reservations on its new, "budget" annual passes for Disneyland). For example, an AP holder could be guaranteed X admissions over the summer period, and once the allotment was used up, they could request access via reservations for additional dates, and Disney -- depending on attendance levels -- would clear a variable number of those. This would prevent the same fanatics who pay $1400 per person to go to Disneyland every single day of the year, from impeding on the enjoyment of an out-of-state family who paid over $100 per person, per day -- not counting their lodging, etc.

But of course, the fanatics go to Disneyland whether it's a beautiful summer or a chilly winter day, ultimately dumping thousands more of their cash into meals and other incidental charges. Alas, it's not about crowd control - it's about maximizing revenues (which obviously any business should strive to do, but it's certainly not done to control crowds... Disney doesn't care how miserably crowded its parks are in the summer, as long as people keep coming and spending).

It’s absolutely about crowd control. Your entire post is precisely why they do it, particularly the second paragraph. Like any amusement park, they have finite capacity. Ever been to Disney World on a peak season day? They have to hold people outside the parks. Disneyland has a more local crowd, it would be a nightmare to have that. To remedy it, you peak price it and add blackout dates to deter visitors and manage capacity before people even get to the park.

WidebodyPTV

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:48 pm

DL717 wrote:
It’s absolutely about crowd control. Your entire post is precisely why they do it, particularly the second paragraph. Like any amusement park, they have finite capacity. Ever been to Disney World on a peak season day? They have to hold people outside the parks. Disneyland has a more local crowd, it would be a nightmare to have that. To remedy it, you peak price it and add blackout dates to deter visitors and manage capacity before people even get to the park.

The article is about Disneyland, which is why I'm discussing Disneyland. That said, I'm sure similar dynamics are at play within Disney World.

But again, this has nothing to do with crowd control -- considering it includes parking, a premium annual pass (AP) at Disneyland pays for itself in roughly 14 visits (the least expensive AP pay for themselves in about 5 visits)... and that's comparing it against the cheapest, restricted multiday passes (e.g. non-hopper, expires within seven days after the first visit). An article published in the LA Times last year (when I get more time, I'll try to dig it up - it was pretty interesting) quoted Disney sources as saying that at least one-third of the visitors on a typical summer day were AP holders; nobody would divulge how many visits the average premium AP made, but it was guesstimated to be "in the dozens."

Again, if Disney was truly concerned about crowd control, it would limit AP's access to the parks during busy period -- or, alternatively, raise the price of the AP, which would accomplish the same thing. But they're not doing that, because the numbers guru determined that they can maximize revenues and profits by maintaining AP prices - which will yield the maximum number of AP, spending an average of X on Y days -- and hiking up the prices on casual visitors.

This isn't about crowd control, it's about maximizing revenues and profits. Disney, after all, is a for-profit corporation.

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm

A corporation using capitalism to offer something and make a profit in exchange...SCANDALOUS!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:13 pm

I was standing by the jetway door, finishing the 727 pre-flight, at MCO in about ‘86. FO is standing by the cockpit door. Nice family, well dressed, children holding large Mickey Mouse dolls. FO asks, “how’s DisneyWorld?” Father comes back with, “F, Disney”. Wife groans, children all laughs. It’s always been packed, everyone complains about cost and keep going. My secretary just came back, no kids, but her and husband love it every year except the crowds.

seb146

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:52 pm

Redd wrote:
seb146 wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We don't play for the same team, so I am sure!

He actually has suggested we go to Disneyland when we are in Los Angeles. But, we have our dog with us at all times, so that is out of the question. At least he offers.

SmithAir747

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:17 pm

I hear so often of single adults around my age (I'm in my mid-40s now, no spring chicken) going and visiting DL or DW on their own, and some of them suggest I try it on my own. I've never gone during my whole life. It might be a once in a lifetime experience for me, but it's so expensive. That doesn't mean I was completely sheltered from Disney--my family saw the Disney Channel when it was first introduced to TV in the mid-1980s, I wear a Mickey Mouse watch, and had Disney story books with tapes, I saw several classic Disney animated movies (and later, when my parents started seeing grandchildren, we saw some of the newer Disney movies in the 1990s), you name it, I know my classic Disney.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

windy95

Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Florida resident rate season passes run from $369 to $999. Universal has a little better deal for residents. But over the years no matter the price point the place are now packed year round. The amount of new hotels that both parks are building is unreal.

readytotaxi

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:08 pm

Think the annual pass is a better deal if you visit more than 5 times, plus the free parking.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

dfwjim1

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:11 pm

A lot of people who are visiting Orlando are wealthy families from South American and Europe who have plenty of extra money to afford the parks.

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:40 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
A lot of people who are visiting Orlando are wealthy families from South American and Europe who have plenty of extra money to afford the parks.

Stereotype much?

As if Americans in other parts of the country don't have the money saved to go anywhere...

B777LRF

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:20 am

Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, the oldest amusement park in the world, charges around 150USD for a season pass including unlimited rides. A single entrance is around 15USD and a free-ride pass is around 35.

Sure it's not Disney, and so much better for it.

PS
What's a "brosband"?
Signature. You just read one.

Redd

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:33 am

seb146 wrote:
Redd wrote:
seb146 wrote:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We don't play for the same team, so I am sure!

He actually has suggested we go to Disneyland when we are in Los Angeles. But, we have our dog with us at all times, so that is out of the question. At least he offers.

Sounds like you have an awesome partner :D

WidebodyPTV

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:47 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

The core Disney traveler is hardly wealthy, but rather of average income; many are likely spending beyond their means. Trade publications estimate that Disney World's top hotels -- e.g. the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, etc. - garner higher average nightly and overall per person revenues than top hotels in Hawaii, but the average person staying at these Disney properties has less than half the average income than those staying in Hawaii. Disney has never done well in attracting its share of high income luxury travelers, and has placed a lot of emphasis on growing this segment (e.g. the new Four Seasons, etc.) in recent years. Rumors have circulated in recent years that Disney properties will either join the Marriott Bonvoy or Hilton Honors program, in some fashion, to attract more wealthy travelers (Disney almost joined Marriott Rewards back in the late 1980s/early 1990s).

The one thing Disney does best... is convince average people to separate from their money. Many of these people wouldn't even think about buying the latest iPhone annually, or shopping at Whole Foods for daily needs, or buying a BMW... but they don't give a second thought about dropping $5K or more on an annual Walt Disney World vacation...

DL717

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:33 pm

I look at it this way. If you’ve got kids or grandkids, you get a whole day for less than 4 hours at a football game. You don’t have to worry about the kids being disappointed by a loss either. If they were paying attention to the game in the first place.

invertalon

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:43 pm

It's not really overpriced as they still fill the park to capacity all the time. The parks are filled year-round.

I am an amusement park junkie, we travel all over to visit new amusement and theme parks each year. I have been to Disney World few times in the past few years on comp tickets (friends worked there), and even with a free ticket I don’t get the appeal. It’s insanely crowded, loaded with children and at the end of the day I leave unfulfilled. They are beautiful parks with some really cool attractions, but aside from that… I could do without. I do like Disneyland better, though. Especially California Adventure. That is my favorite Disney property probably… Planning to visit Tokyo Disney Sea in 2021 tentatively, which may change my mind on that one.

I much prefer Universal, Sea World or Busch Gardens while in the Orlando area. Better value (my season pass ‘fun card’ at both Busch Gardens and Sea World cost me just over $100)… Far better ‘experience’ for me.

Universal was a great deal on annual passes until the past few years where it went up quite a bit.

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:00 pm

I'm tired of Disney parks, but that may be because every vacation we ever took as a family always ended up in Walt Disney World in Orlando, and it was an irregular experience since my parents don't ride on many of the rides and my sister was too young or too short to ride with me.

I prefer Universal Studios parks.

That being said: I AM looking forward to visiting Disneyland. I may do this this year.

I tell people that Disney parks are best for people if:
1. They have children under the age of 10
2. They've never been to a Disney park before
3. You go in a group.

Going solo, having been there many times, or going with teenagers will not be the same experience.

deltairlines

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I tell people that Disney parks are best for people if:
1. They have children under the age of 10
2. They've never been to a Disney park before
3. You go in a group.

Going solo, having been there many times, or going with teenagers will not be the same experience.

I'm the exact opposite - I much prefer going to the Disney parks by myself. I can go on the rides I want when I want and I can eat at the restaurants I want when I want.

For example, I prefer eating at Epcot - Le Cellier, Monsieur Paul and Tutto Italia are amongst my favorites (and I'm looking forward to trying Takumi-Tei) - none of these would really appeal to any children (part of the reason why I like them) and not everyone in a group would probably want to be eating at the higher-end pricey restaurants most night.

Same with rides - I'm not a huge Space Mountain or Rock 'n Roller Coaster (just not a fan of dark, fast rides) - going by myself means I simply can avoid them.

hawaiian717

Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:30 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
Again, if Disney was truly concerned about crowd control, it would limit AP's access to the parks during busy period -- or, alternatively, raise the price of the AP, which would accomplish the same thing. But they're not doing that, because the numbers guru determined that they can maximize revenues and profits by maintaining AP prices - which will yield the maximum number of AP, spending an average of X on Y days -- and hiking up the prices on casual visitors.

But they are doing both of these things. AP prices went up this week too. And there is the Flex AP which requires advance reservations on days forecast to be busier. That's new, but for years they've also limited access to APs on busier days by selling different types of APs, with lower priced APs having more blockout days (the cheapest AP is blocked on all weekends last I checked). They stopped selling blockout day tickets, so if your AP is blocked for a day you want to go you now just have to buy a full price ticket. They've also started blocking each park separately; in the past a blockout day covered both Disneyland and California Adventure, but now there are days where DL is blocked but DCA is available.

I think the Galaxy's Edge opening was a bit of a flop. Sure it's popular, but it opened to middling reviews and the whole park was quieter than usual this past summer. I suspect many people planned to stay away expecting the park to be crowded with the Galaxy's Edge opening, but that didn't happen. I suspect that opening with only one ride, which was also the area's second-tier ride (Smuggler's Run), didn't help. The boarding pass system has been needed and there have been lines at opening to secure a spot for the big attraction, Rise of the Resistance, so it seems the crowds have finally come.

windy95

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:02 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Stereotype much?

As if Americans in other parts of the country don't have the money saved to go anywhere...

It is not a stereotype. The fact is that a large chunk of Tourism in Orlando now is from overseas. Brazil and England being the largest groups that come here. The outlet Malls near he parks are jammed with these tourist who buy suitcases and then shop all day and fill them. Low prices and low taxes are a boon for them.

WidebodyPTV

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:08 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
But they are doing both of these things. AP prices went up this week too. And there is the Flex AP which requires advance reservations on days forecast to be busier. That's new, but for years they've also limited access to APs on busier days by selling different types of APs, with lower priced APs having more blockout days (the cheapest AP is blocked on all weekends last I checked). They stopped selling blockout day tickets, so if your AP is blocked for a day you want to go you now just have to buy a full price ticket. They've also started blocking each park separately; in the past a blockout day covered both Disneyland and California Adventure, but now there are days where DL is blocked but DCA is available.

In recent years, the price hikes on the AP have been minimal compared to those on individual passes. Disney doesn't divulge figures, but sources in a Times article last year reported that the average AP holder made "dozens" of visits, and that there were "tens of thousands" pass holders. The sources estimated that, on a typical summer/holiday weekend, at least one-third of the people at the park were AP holders, and AP holders were the majority during other (off-peak) weekends. Ultimately, it's a small number of people reflected in the annual turnstiles.

There have been rumors for the past several years that Disney would replace its AP with new "flex" passes -- these passes would allow unlimited admission during off-peak days, but you would be required to add-on various packages that included a limited number of admissions, with additional admissions available either for a fee or through waitlisting. Ultimately, Disney implemented this pass - as you noted above - but as a new, low-cost option ... which is targeted NEW AP holders and is contributing to the problem.

My point was that if Disney truly cared about crowd control, it'd redesign the AP program. But they won't, because even though AP holders are a nuisance during the summer, on weekends, etc., most are visiting the park en masses in January, spending money on food and beverage, and ultimately that spend maximizes Disney's revenues and profits. Ultimately, it's about $$$, not crowd control.

I think the Galaxy's Edge opening was a bit of a flop. Sure it's popular, but it opened to middling reviews and the whole park was quieter than usual this past summer. I suspect many people planned to stay away expecting the park to be crowded with the Galaxy's Edge opening, but that didn't happen. I suspect that opening with only one ride, which was also the area's second-tier ride (Smuggler's Run), didn't help. The boarding pass system has been needed and there have been lines at opening to secure a spot for the big attraction, Rise of the Resistance, so it seems the crowds have finally come.

It wasn't a flop. Sources told the Times that Disneyland smashed attendance records last summer... but the AP holders stayed home, refusing to purchase additional tickets. Sources said that had Disney not fenced the AP in, the park would've exceeded capacity throughout the summer, and many people paying for individual tickets would've been turned away. Ultimately, enough though attendance was down, it maximized revenues, so it was the right move.

WidebodyPTV

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:13 pm

windy95 wrote:
It is not a stereotype. The fact is that a large chunk of Tourism in Orlando now is from overseas. Brazil and England being the largest groups that come here. The outlet Malls near he parks are jammed with these tourist who buy suitcases and then shop all day and fill them. Low prices and low taxes are a boon for them.

This isn't unique to Orlando. International tourism drives spending throughout the country, whether it's Orlando, NYC, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc. But "wealthy international tourists" aren't driving up the cost of attendance at Disney -- in fact, international tourists with long-term stays in Orlando have access to significantly cheaper tickets than Americans ... and this group of people are far less likely to stay on property...

DL717

Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:46 am

invertalon wrote:
It's not really overpriced as they still fill the park to capacity all the time. The parks are filled year-round.

I am an amusement park junkie, we travel all over to visit new amusement and theme parks each year. I have been to Disney World few times in the past few years on comp tickets (friends worked there), and even with a free ticket I don’t get the appeal. It’s insanely crowded, loaded with children and at the end of the day I leave unfulfilled. They are beautiful parks with some really cool attractions, but aside from that… I could do without. I do like Disneyland better, though. Especially California Adventure. That is my favorite Disney property probably… Planning to visit Tokyo Disney Sea in 2021 tentatively, which may change my mind on that one.

I much prefer Universal, Sea World or Busch Gardens while in the Orlando area. Better value (my season pass ‘fun card’ at both Busch Gardens and Sea World cost me just over $100)… Far better ‘experience’ for me.

Universal was a great deal on annual passes until the past few years where it went up quite a bit.

We’re junkies too. For us the Disney experience is seeing the smiles. Beyond that is a nightmare. Kids can stand in line all day and not give a hoot. Dumbo and Small World can rot in hell. Let’s go again! Awe hell. About 5 pm, my legs are done and the feet are screaming at me. The grandkids couldn’t care less. We did a trip a couple of years ago with the fam the they ran out of steam by 7 or 8. Brutal. Now they will probably think they are big enough to close the place down. Thank God the hotel is a monorail or bus ride away and their parents can deal with it. For us, we’ve found Animal Kingdom to be the best park these days. Epcot falls flat, but the food choices make up for it. Place needs help in the ride area. Hollywood Studios is probably better with the revamp. We’ll find out when the family makes a trip in the fall. Magic Kingdom is what it is, but again, it’s the about the smiles and memories.

CaptHadley

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:11 am

DL717 wrote:
I look at it this way. If you’ve got kids or grandkids, you get a whole day for less than 4 hours at a football game. You don’t have to worry about the kids being disappointed by a loss either. If they were paying attention to the game in the first place.

First off, why on Gods green earth would you take any kids to a football game. Thee most boring, mind numbing sport, closely followed by golf, NASCAR and baseball... Hey kids, let's go sit in a stadium full of drunk belligerent fools for four hours and watch the players suffer the onset of CTE! You can do them a great service by taking them to a NASCAR event. Looks kids, well in your case, look great grand kids. This is what your weekends will be like if you don't get a quality education. You'll end up in the south, living in a double wide, drinking PBR and rooting for number 35!

trpmb6

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

We have no children. I want to go every chance I get. The brosband thinks it is a waste of time and money. To each their own. He is wrong but it is adorable he thinks he is right. ;)

I have three children. There are far better ways to entertain my children than packing them into an airplane and flying to Disney and staying in an overpriced, underwhelming resort (or saving money by staying off campus in a hotel or using some vacation rental) and standing in ridiculous lines.

DL717

Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:52 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
DL717 wrote:

First off, why on Gods green earth would you take any kids to a football game. Thee most boring, mind numbing sport, closely followed by golf, NASCAR and baseball... Hey kids, let's go sit in a stadium full of drunk belligerent fools for four hours and watch the players suffer the onset of CTE! You can do them a great service by taking them to a NASCAR event. Looks kids, well in your case, look great grand kids. This is what your weekends will be like if you don't get a quality education. You'll end up in the south, living in a double wide, drinking PBR and rooting for number 35!

I explained that in my post. It’s about value for dollar.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:50 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I have three children. There are far better ways to entertain my children than packing them into an airplane and flying to Disney and staying in an overpriced, underwhelming resort (or saving money by staying off campus in a hotel or using some vacation rental) and standing in ridiculous lines.

It's no more expensive then stuffing them into a car and driving to the nearest ski resort for a few days skiing, lift lines can be as long as the lines for rides at Disney. Walking around the countryside with the kids and dog is also something we do a lot of but you can't do that all the time.

casinterest

Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:57 pm

DL717 wrote:
invertalon wrote:

We’re junkies too. For us the Disney experience is seeing the smiles. Beyond that is a nightmare. Kids can stand in line all day and not give a hoot. Dumbo and Small World can rot in hell. Let’s go again! Awe hell. About 5 pm, my legs are done and the feet are screaming at me. The grandkids couldn’t care less. We did a trip a couple of years ago with the fam the they ran out of steam by 7 or 8. Brutal. Now they will probably think they are big enough to close the place down. Thank God the hotel is a monorail or bus ride away and their parents can deal with it. For us, we’ve found Animal Kingdom to be the best park these days. Epcot falls flat, but the food choices make up for it. Place needs help in the ride area. Hollywood Studios is probably better with the revamp. We’ll find out when the family makes a trip in the fall. Magic Kingdom is what it is, but again, it’s the about the smiles and memories.

I took the kids a few years ago, it was a blast. Turns out my kids were able to close the park down, and they weren't even out of booster seats yet. Lots of adrenaline, and the fast passes help with priority rides. We rode Dumbo as the last ride, and there was no wait. You will be excited to hear that they are adding a 3d ride to the France pavilion starring Ratatouille, and a new Guardians of the Galaxy Ride in the old future world. They are finally fixing the issues with the "Future Showcase" by changing the themes.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... ld-resort/
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:04 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

It's no more expensive then stuffing them into a car and driving to the nearest ski resort for a few days skiing, lift lines can be as long as the lines for rides at Disney. Walking around the countryside with the kids and dog is also something we do a lot of but you can't do that all the time.

I don't know about Orlando, but I know Anaheim is more than just Disney. Yes, it is great but San Diego is close, Huntington Beach is close, Malibu, Griffith Park, Hollywood.... My brother took his kids to Disneyland in Anaheim. They spent a few days there and a few days in San Diego. The first time I went, we were there for our church International Youth Convention in Long Beach. The last time I went, we drove down along 101 and spent time in Santa Barbara. Yes, Disneyland is great but there are tons of other things that make it worthwhile.

mham001

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Wait a minute. This is for both parks at Disneyland. I don't understand how a person, particularly with family, could possibly get to both parks in one day. The one park pass is still available at $104, the same as a few years ago.

hawaiian717

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:25 pm

mham001 wrote:
Wait a minute. This is for both parks at Disneyland. I don't understand how a person, particularly with family, could possibly get to both parks in one day. The one park pass is still available at $104, the same as a few years ago.

Park Hopper tickets provide flexibility. For someone that's never been before I feel they're not really necessary, as you can buy a 2 day, 1 park per day ticket and dedicate a day to each park. But if someone only has one day, they might want the park hopper to hit the highlights in both parks.

For example, someone who visits only occasional and hasn't been in a couple years and coming in fall 2020 might be most interested in visiting Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland and Avengers Campus in California Adventure (due to open this summer). They don't need two full days to do this; they can get it all done in one day with a Park Hopper.

And while it does take some time to park hop, most of this is getting to and from the entrance/exits of each park. Actually getting between the parks takes only a minute or two walk as the entrances are less than 300 feet from each other across the esplanade and I typically find mid-day there's no significant line to enter. Disneyland Resort is tiny compared to the sprawling Walt Disney World.

Kent350787

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:36 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Stereotype much?

We did Universal at the end of December for my 12yo, although all of us ended up having fun.
At that time the visitors (from what I observed) were overwhelmingly English speaking Americans.

But it is expensive, and I don’t see the appeal if it seems “once in a lifetime”. Our three days staying in a lower range onsite hotel came to about 10% of the total of our 4 week trip from Oz to the US, airfares included. And we flew PE-J.

luckyone

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:05 am

What’s most interesting to me is how Disney has transformed from a big deal vacation, to a regular vacation. I’ve been three times in my entire life, and that’s enough for me. I was taken once as a young kid with the family which was THE BIG DEAL, went with a friend when I was 13, and then went with my soon to be sister in law many years later. And I’m done. I cannot fathom why people are willing to part with their hard earned money to to stand on asphalt in Orlando in the summer, much less with kids who are too young to actually remember anything about it. I have very good friends who have been seven times in the last twelve months. Seven.times. They couldn’t wait to take their new child to Disney World. This child is barely two and has been to Disney World more times in his life than I have. And he won’t remember a thing. It’s an excuse for my friend to relive something she couldn’t have when she was a kid. Over and over. My brother has been at least twice with his wife and younger than four year old.

I can only encourage people to explore and branch out if they think the food at Epcot is anything more than decent.

I know I’m going to have to grin and bear a trip with my kids—and I may eat these words—but I’m going to try my damndest to make sure it’s only once or twice. There are far better things for them to see and experience in this world than endless consumerism.

trpmb6

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:33 pm

luckyone wrote:
What’s most interesting to me is how Disney has transformed from a big deal vacation, to a regular vacation. I’ve been three times in my entire life, and that’s enough for me. I was taken once as a young kid with the family which was THE BIG DEAL, went with a friend when I was 13, and then went with my soon to be sister in law many years later. And I’m done. I cannot fathom why people are willing to part with their hard earned money to to stand on asphalt in Orlando in the summer, much less with kids who are too young to actually remember anything about it. I have very good friends who have been seven times in the last twelve months. Seven.times. They couldn’t wait to take their new child to Disney World. This child is barely two and has been to Disney World more times in his life than I have. And he won’t remember a thing. It’s an excuse for my friend to relive something she couldn’t have when she was a kid. Over and over. My brother has been at least twice with his wife and younger than four year old.

I can only encourage people to explore and branch out if they think the food at Epcot is anything more than decent.

I know I’m going to have to grin and bear a trip with my kids—and I may eat these words—but I’m going to try my damndest to make sure it’s only once or twice. There are far better things for them to see and experience in this world than endless consumerism.

Exactly my thoughts

casinterest

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:55 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Exactly my thoughts

I will say this. It was about 17 years between my last two visits. Some things are the same, some change, but overall, Disney is worth the trip. ( I do have to say that Summer is NOT the time to see Disney world. November, first week of May, first week of March. Those are good weeks to go. I used to have season passes ( florida ones) that I abused in college, and as such, I know many of the old rides. However the biggest lesson learned is that it is best to do Disney world over multiple days. Enjoy the scenery, look for the little things. Let the kids lead the way. Don't stand in line more than 80-90 minutes. if you miss it this trip, so be it.

Some people go to Disney for reasons other than the parks. They have good food places around , and they have good recreation such as pools,tennis,, golf, boats, shopping, all in one place. Disney does customer service well, and if you aren't happy, they make it right. Does this mean everyone has to go? No, but at the end of the day, you get more enjoyment than you realize, for the price. Just remember to buy the dollar store lights/glowsticks so your kid doesn't ask for the 25$ ones being sold during the electric light parade.

However if you do one week, you will find the cost is 400-600 for all 5-6 days per ticket.
Where ever you go, there you are.

luckyone

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:30 pm

casinterest wrote:
I do have to say that Summer is NOT the time to see Disney world. November, first week of May, first week of March.

The problem there is taking your kids out of school--in my family this just did not happen. School was what was important and unless you were seriously ill or hurt you weren't missing school period, much less for a vacation to go pay money to see a costumed mouse and ride some rides. And I can say I understand that completely.