sonicruiser
Topic Author

EU sends in reinforcements to back arms embargo in desperate bid to prevent Libya from becoming next Syria

Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:21 pm

In Munich, a top UN official, the special envoy for Libya Stephanie Williams has described the UN-backed arms embargo in Libya as a 'joke' and said the ceasefire was 'holding by a thread' in a gloomy assessment of the prospects for peace in the North African country. Williams said Libya was “awash with weaponry” and called on the international community to do more to curb their interference in the conflict. The country’s financial position is deteriorating rapidly, after foreign ministers met in Munich to try to enforce a ceasefire between the two warring sides.

https://www.ft.com/content/b2fd5926-50b ... 2eed0038b1

The EU has now agreed to deploy warships to stop the flow of weapons into Libya, as the bloc wound down a military mission that had once rescued migrants and refugees from drowning in the Mediterranean.

Josep Borrell, the EU’s chief diplomat, announced that 27 foreign ministers had agreed to launch a new operation with naval ships, planes and satellites in order to enforce the UN arms embargo on Libya.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ms-embargo
"Martin Luther King wasn't assassinated because he was dreaming. He was assassinated because he woke up."-Louis Farrakhan

anrec80

Re: EU sends in reinforcements to back arms embargo in desperate bid to prevent Libya from becoming next Syria

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 am

Silly EU. First, it took the most active part in bombing the country, and now in desperation and doesn’t know what to do with all this.

A101

Re: EU sends in reinforcements to back arms embargo in desperate bid to prevent Libya from becoming next Syria

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:16 am

Going to be interesting to see who does the heavy lifting and to what extent

Sokes

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:04 am

A101 wrote:

You ask the right questions.

While Britain/ France and Italy may have enough military power to take on Libya, they won't have the popular support required.
I used to wonder if Merkel opened the borders for refugees to make these military interventions a big public issue. I usually do have opinions about politicians, but with Merkel I never know what she is really up to.

I hope next time EU politicians mind their own business.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

A101

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:17 am

Sokes wrote:
A101 wrote:

You ask the right questions.

While Britain/ France and Italy may have enough military power to take on Libya, they won't have the popular support required.
I used to wonder if Merkel opened the borders for refugees to make these military interventions a big public issue. I usually do have opinions about politicians, but with Merkel I never know what she is really up to.

I hope next time EU politicians mind their own business.

As far as I can see the EU’s chief diplomat, announced that 27 foreign ministers had agreed to launch a new operation its not 28 anymore so i imagine no discussions with the UK had taken place. i haven't seen anymore on this so no idea what the EU is doing