Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

northstardc4m
Topic Author

Which spicy food?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:01 am

Just curious...

What spicy foods does everyone prefer?

For me it's Thai style curries... Green or hot red preferred on chicken or shrimp. Though a hot hot or suicide chicken wing will do as well...

What about everyone else? Or are you in the mild camp?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

NIKV69

Re: Which spicy food?

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:27 am

When I go Thai I ask for medium and they get it right every time. I guess I am not into the whole hot spicy thing.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Okie

Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:38 am

The local Thai inferno operator that I occasionally enlighten with my presents usually asks how hot. 1 being mild, 5 being Thai hot, I usually go for a 3.
It is not too hot to start but gets toasty towards the end of the entrée.

Now I am getting an idea of where to go this weekend.

Okie

zakuivcustom

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 am

Sichuan Hot Pot ftw.

No, I wouldn't recommend going to China to eat that right now, but when it comes to spicy, nothing beat Sichuan cuisine.

Indian food is a close second.

seb146

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:58 am

I have noticed there is a huge difference between regional spicy foods. I don't care for east Asian spicy but it has good flavor. Same for Central American spicy. Good flavor but different than Asian spicy. I probably like Central American spicy better because that is what I grew up with. Then, there is spicy for the sake of being spicy. I don't get that. Eat this 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch piece of pepper that you have to sign a waiver for and will probably send you to the hospital but isn't that great? No! It is not!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

frmrCapCadet

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:12 am

I mildly/moderately spice whatever 'hot' cuisine I prepare, and then put a couple hot sauces on the table. There is no arcane chemistry that takes place during cooking. Salt, pepper, hot can be adjusted at the table per peoples' preference. Currently my preference is Sriracha, I am going to order Tabasco's via Amazon. None of our local stores carry it.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

mrgrtt123

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:16 am

Moderate I guess that's enough, a little bit of a kick make some food more delicious.

stl07

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:50 am

Mexican
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

seb146

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:53 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I mildly/moderately spice whatever 'hot' cuisine I prepare, and then put a couple hot sauces on the table. There is no arcane chemistry that takes place during cooking. Salt, pepper, hot can be adjusted at the table per peoples' preference. Currently my preference is Sriracha, I am going to order Tabasco's via Amazon. None of our local stores carry it.

I guess I have spoiled myself. I liked Tabasco just enough. But, when I discovered local or small batch hot sauce, Tabasco was not interesting. I never cared for Sriracha. Maybe I set my sights too high? Chili Gods green sauce is so flavorful. Firehouse Subs have some great sauces, too.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

anshabhi

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:20 am

Have you tried paneer masala? Or baby corn Manchurian?

Almost every dish in India is very spicy and many of them are vegetarian. Difficult to choose a single favorite!!

TTailedTiger

Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:02 am

I like to taste the flavor of spices. I don't want something that is so hot it is going to obliterate my mouth and taste buds.

Jouhou

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:54 am

Mexican food. And US derivatives of it. Peppers and cheese pair especially well, whether it's chile relleno or jalapeno poppers it just works.

...I'm getting old though and I have to avoid too much spicy food or it burns on the way out.
情報

max999

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 am

Mexican for sure.

I went to this restaurant in Oaxaca, Mexico where they will custom make a salsa for you tableside. I asked for the salsa to be super spicy.

https://www.casaoaxacaelrestaurante.com ... /index.php
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

afcjets

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:28 pm

seb146 wrote:
Firehouse Subs have some great sauces, too.

I don't go there as much as before but the last few times I noticed one I hadn't seen before and I thought it was amazing, Virginia Gentleman Bourbon Chipotle.

readytotaxi

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:55 pm

I enjoy cooking,Thai, Indian and Mex. I like the taste of the food to shine through rather than the spice overpower. Kashmeri chilli powder is good for this. On a scale of 1-5 I am a 3 guy.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Iloveboeing

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:53 am

I like peanut sauce and also tacos al pastor.

rfields5421

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:38 am

Wife and I are wimps. Can't even handle jalapeno's any longer.

Getting old is not for sissies.
Not all who wander are lost.

cpd

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:09 am

anshabhi wrote:
Have you tried paneer masala? Or baby corn Manchurian?

Almost every dish in India is very spicy and many of them are vegetarian. Difficult to choose a single favorite!!

Indian vegetarian is not too spicy for me. Bisibelabath is quite nice. Also like Milagai Podi in a dosa with sambar, but usually without the masala. I have a Saravana Bhavan very close to me so that makes those things quite simple. The one nearby is one of the better ones in Sydney.

Haven't tried making those myself.

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:02 pm

seb146 wrote:
I have noticed there is a huge difference between regional spicy foods. I don't care for east Asian spicy but it has good flavor. Same for Central American spicy. Good flavor but different than Asian spicy. I probably like Central American spicy better because that is what I grew up with. Then, there is spicy for the sake of being spicy. I don't get that.
Likewise.
Plus there is some need to delineate the difference between "spicy" and "hot". Or am I alone in that respect?

I like spicy food. Coriander, cumin, turmeric, star anise, fresh ginger, lemon grass and so on.
And therefore it follows I like Szechuan, Thai, Indian, and yes even some Mexican dishes.
But notice there is one incredibly over-hyped ingredient missing; chilli.

The bell-pepper is closely related to chilli, and Spain has three grades of paprika ranging from dulce to picante, whilst Hungary (home of goulash) has eight recognised grades, although prior to 1920 they were biased more towards the hotter end of things.
Cripes, even garlic will give you a buzz if you put enough in. :bigthumbsup:

Some of these spices /herbs impart a delicious delicate warmth, and if you want to appreciate the delicate flavor of king prawn, lobster, or even lamb, you can miss out the chilli completely, and still leave the table with a satisfied "glow". And guacamole without any chilli is still guacamole, in this household at least.

At the other end of the spectrum is the indiscriminate use of chilli powder to add heat, and absolutely nothing else.
It's a great way of disguising sub-standard foodstuffs, but you can count me out. :stirthepot:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

scbriml

Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 pm

It's not hot unless your butthole clenches tightly at just the thought of the 'afterburn'. :talktothehand:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

vrbarreto

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:40 am

Chicken Xacuti
Pork Vindaloo
Goan Fish Curry and Rice
Patak's Chilli Pickle
Chilli Paneer and roti

Fishreeler

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:41 pm

I love spicy food, but I've never been able to find something really spicy.
Many times I was treated to different peppers, and watched in anticipation as I would sit with a red face and tears in my eyes. They were very surprised when I started eating peppers one by one and asked for more supplements :)
And here is how the times, found on pikabu post Pro pepper Carolina Reaper, and as a true lover of acute, ignited idea his try.
I found a seller who grew this pepper, sold sauce from it and dried ground pepper, and bought them.
The sauce is just amazing, although I thought it was supposed to be much sharper and not have any other taste, but it turned out to be just a sauce, with its additional flavor and pleasant long-playing sharpness. But pepper live a good and vigorous, that is necessary.

mbmbos

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Carne Adovada with Hatch Red Chile.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:11 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Just curious...

What spicy foods does everyone prefer?

Yes.

Almost everything I eat is spicy. My wife orders industrial sized containers of various peppers and spicy powders because we go through so much.

Just ate hamburger helper (homemade, healthier ingredients! don't judge!) covered in Chipotle chili pepper. Last meal was homemade chicken soup doused with good ol normal pepper. Meal before that was homemade red clam spaghetti sauce topped with way too many red pepper flakes

Love wasabi and horseradish (hot, not spicy?) but similar enough. Want so much that it burns just short of absolute pain... It's a fine line but so good when I get it just right.

About to have a snack... Got these delicious jalapenos that are soaked in a sweet sauce. So good, eat them straight.

Love my spicy food!!!

vrbarreto

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:26 am

Same here.. My wife gives me disgusted looks when I douse Bryndzové halušky with liberal amounts of Chilli paste. Also the same when I put it into the Kuracia Polievka.

There is a very good place that delivers to us: https://www.seminka-chilli.cz/chilli-omacky/

I also like spicy Mexican and also hot peri peri.. The choice of spicy cuisine where I live is limited.. One Indian restaurant that does watered down Indian spice.. Interestingly most of my colleagues carry around jars and bottles of hot sauce to spice up lunch.