WarRI1
Topic Author

Election Security Official says Russia trying to help Trump

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:29 am

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/politics ... index.html

Another warning about the 2020 election and influence from Russia to aid trump. This comes as no surprise to anyone who follows politics and has seen and heard many times how they already did this in 2016. There is also mention in other articles of China and Iran involved. You will notice trump reverting to form after the briefing.
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

N583JB

Re: Election Security Official says Russia trying to help trump.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:35 am

Welcome to international relations. There is a long list of countries that have had their elections influenced and even controlled by the United States. Shouldn't surprise us that other nations play the same games that we do.

Aaron747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 am

Not at all surprising based on what the Mueller report stated about extent of FSB/GRU-associated activities and subsequent statements from directors Coates and Wray.

Logically, of course Russia wants a second term. Whatever the WH claims about their sanctions regime it hardly affects the important people in Russia who have power. Russia loves the gulf between the EU and US, NATO funding fights, success of Brexit, and handing Syria over to Turkey’s whims. All have been assisted or enabled by 45’s foreign policy.

Russia is not as close to the PRC as they once were, but they also love that current US foreign policy’s distractions have allowed Chinese investment throughout Africa, Latin America and South/E Asia to basically usurp US influence in those regions.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:39 am

N583JB wrote:
Welcome to international relations. There is a long list of countries that have had their elections influenced and even controlled by the United States. Shouldn't surprise us that other nations play the same games that we do.

If it were only that simple as you are trying to say it is. We are concerned about our country in this matter and we know how trump sucks up to Putin. There is a billboard near me with sayings that are pretty good and funny. One of them said trump was not elected, he was putin office. Get it!! I sure did and so did thousands of other drivers going by.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DeltaMD90

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:51 am

Controversial opinion: hacking is one thing but crappy memes is another. If Americans are swayed by stupid fake memes then we get the ruler we deserve

If we (those left of center) nominate someone halfway competent, then our nominee should be > Trump + stupid Russian memes

Been flamed before for this but...... Although I do not deny Russian interference nor do I condone it, I blame the nominee/party/tactics for the 2016 loss again Trump. Against Trump!!! The margin against him should have been MUCH more than the Russian interference. Maybe it tipped the scales but it shouldn't've been that close in the first place.

Not to say we shouldn't combat the interference, of course we should

Aaron747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:00 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Controversial opinion: hacking is one thing but crappy memes is another. If Americans are swayed by stupid fake memes then we get the ruler we deserve

If we (those left of center) nominate someone halfway competent, then our nominee should be > Trump + stupid Russian memes

Been flamed before for this but...... Although I do not deny Russian interference nor do I condone it, I blame the nominee/party/tactics for the 2016 loss again Trump. Against Trump!!! The margin against him should have been MUCH more than the Russian interference. Maybe it tipped the scales but it shouldn't've been that close in the first place.

All good points. Would be nice though if the few GOP members of Congress with integrity left would comment that 2016 was almost four years ago and 45 should get over whatever insecurities linger about perception of that result. There’s no excuse for pressuring intel officials not to comment on what Russia is currently doing vis-a-vis disinfo campaigns. Of course supporters will cry ‘but MSM blah blah blah and that’s why he needs to counterpunch on 2016 still’ but it’s all BS.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Tugger

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:01 am

N583JB wrote:

Not the same thing, but I guess you don't understand that.

But yes it course the US does work influences where it can.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

DeltaMD90

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:33 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

All good points. Would be nice though if the few GOP members of Congress with integrity left would comment that 2016 was almost four years ago and 45 should get over whatever insecurities linger about perception of that result. There’s no excuse for pressuring intel officials not to comment on what Russia is currently doing vis-a-vis disinfo campaigns. Of course supporters will cry ‘but MSM blah blah blah and that’s why he needs to counterpunch on 2016 still’ but it’s all BS.

That would be nice... Honestly though, I seem to be much more harsh against Democrats but that's because I've largely written off most Republican politicians and don't even waste my breath with critiquing them. With Democrats, I at least have some hope with a lot of them.

Call me idealistic but I wish we'd raise above it all and fight and win against Trump even with structural disadvantages. I mean we should continue to fight the unfairness but wouldn't it be great if our nominee was so good he/she could easily overcome it all?

It's my mentality in life, anyway. Be fair when you can and compensate when others aren't and still try and come out on top.

That's why I mostly swat this Russian stuff aside as a distraction... It may be a factor, so let's over prepare and over perform

Aaron747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:36 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

That would be nice... Honestly though, I seem to be much more harsh against Democrats but that's because I've largely written off most Republican politicians and don't even waste my breath with critiquing them. With Democrats, I at least have some hope with a lot of them.

Call me idealistic but I wish we'd raise above it all and fight and win against Trump even with structural disadvantages. I mean we should continue to fight the unfairness but wouldn't it be great if our nominee was so good he/she could easily overcome it all?

It's my mentality in life, anyway. Be fair when you can and compensate when others aren't and still try and come out on top.

That's why I mostly swat this Russian stuff aside as a distraction... It may be a factor, so let's over prepare and over perform

Agreed, I’m just speaking to the inherent basic responsibilities of the POTUS oath of office and on this specific topic this kind of control of vital information seems to run 100% counter to that.

DeltaMD90

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:45 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Agreed, I’m just speaking to the inherent basic responsibilities of the POTUS oath of office and on this specific topic this kind of control of vital information seems to run 100% counter to that.

I'd bet 100 alternate universe dollars that in the alternate universe where Trump lost, he'd somehow tie in the Russians as an adversary and a reason why he lost. Didn't he recently say China was trying to make the Democrats win 2020 or something? Lol

I mean I 100% agree with you, I've just completely written off the possibility that he ever would, sadly

Ken777

Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:42 am

Fortunately a lot of people here now understand that Russia invested heavily in distorting the race and getting Trump elected.

Whet we need now is for each Russian instigated post a pic of the Russian flag needs to be attached at the start.

Reputable, or semi-reputable company with impacted web sites (like this one) need to be vigorous in attacking the Russian propaganda. Companies like Facebook need to be monitored internally and externally to ensure the Putin Crap is deleted.

And, when you see the probable Russian crap simply post "Russian Propaganda"

There is also a need, I believe, when you see this crap copy& paste it in emails to your Senators and Congressmen/woman with "Russian Propaganda" in the subject line.

tommy1808

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:02 am

Ken777 wrote:
Fortunately a lot of people here now understand that Russia invested heavily in distorting the race and getting Trump elected..

:checkmark:
I have the feeling a democratic candidate this year could have a real scandal and most potential voters will consider it made up, as everything ever levied against democrats in the last couple of years turned out to be just that: made up.

best regards
Thomas
....the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero

Dutchy

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:20 am

Ken777 wrote:
Fortunately a lot of people here now understand that Russia invested heavily in distorting the race and getting Trump elected.

Most people understand that the Putin regime is heavily invested in destroying western democracies and we let this regime do it by believing all the propaganda and misdirections. It is a smart move from the Putin regime to do it like this, it is cheap and very effective. Western societies are open and that is a strength and a weakness. So educate yourself and only believe reputable sources and Russia's propaganda tools are done.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

CitizenJustin

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 am

Dutchy wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

Most people understand that the Putin regime is heavily invested in destroying western democracies and we let this regime do it by believing all the propaganda and misdirections. It is a smart move from the Putin regime to do it like this, it is cheap and very effective. Western societies are open and that is a strength and a weakness. So educate yourself and only believe reputable sources and Russia's propaganda tools are done.

It’s very irritating trying to argue with someone who’s fallen for Russian propaganda. I still find it shocking that so many people are completely unaware that they were duped by Russian propaganda and are essentially doing Putin’s bidding. I suppose I thought people were smarter and less gullible. Those who completely bought into Russian propaganda accuse others of being sheeple, which is what I find scary. They accuse people like me of being part of some deep state, when in reality, the exact opposite is true. The lack of critical thinking never ceases to amaze. How we’ve gotten this far is a mystery.

marcelh

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:28 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
If Americans are swayed by stupid fake memes then we get the ruler we deserve

Unfortunately, it has a significant impact on the rest of the world.

ltbewr

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:42 am

We may never know how much the allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 election affected the results. Indeed the serious problems of Hillary Clinton, the years of hateful attacks on her, her bad campaign decisions, going against a person in Trump that knows how to manipulate people and a long pent up reaction by White voters as to lost 'blue collar' jobs to automation and exported to Mexico and China, as to Blacks and immigrants were more likely tipping points. There is little we can do to limit the 1st Amendment speech rights of even foreign governments and persons with money to affect our elections since any significant restrictions, except for direct contributions to candidates, would be illegal. There is no doubt that for over a century and even today, the USA has done massive interference in elections, including wars, assassinations, pouring money to candidates, false ads like we accuse the Russians of doing, mainly to keep out 'communists' and promote pro-capitalist, pro-Corporate USA ones. In that sense, we are getting a taste of our own vile medicine.

Still, our governments including on the state levels, campaigns and parties must make sure to take strong actions to prevent hacking of computers, voting systems, use secure e-mail systems to prevent potential direct interference. Democrats also must come up with a candidate and policies to run on that will not chase away many White voters to Trump and Republicans.

DeltaMD90

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:15 pm

Ken777 wrote:

Whet we need now is for each Russian instigated post a pic of the Russian flag needs to be attached at the start.

Reputable, or semi-reputable company with impacted web sites (like this one) need to be vigorous in attacking the Russian propaganda. Companies like Facebook need to be monitored internally and externally to ensure the Putin Crap is deleted.

And, when you see the probable Russian crap simply post "Russian Propaganda"

There is also a need, I believe, when you see this crap copy& paste it in emails to your Senators and Congressmen/woman with "Russian Propaganda" in the subject line.

Yeah I'd be careful though, it can easily swing too far in the opposite direction. I was arguing with someone on this site a year or so ago and the dude was convinced I was a Putin bot. Like seriously? Just because I went against one of his talking points (and was ironically, being critical of the Russians in the same posts.)

Basically, I don't want to see us mindlessly dismiss people we disagree with as Putin bots just because we don't see eye to eye. Just makes us look like lunatics. It's just like when we get called communists for advocating something slightly left of center, it's annoying and dishonest.

Bad information is bad information, Russian or good ol American. I'd focus on the countering the content rather than call out some supposed connection

casinterest

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:53 pm

In the tug of war between two parties, a third party can greatly influence the results with the right pressure at the right point. Russia has an interest in keeping America divided. The funny thing is, so do the DNC and RNC. We really need more political parties in this country, and less money.

Russia has the power to influence very easily. if you ever go around, you can figure out how to target people based on their internet browsing caches and history. Just think of your history and what you see as ads on this site. It would be interesting if we could convince many people to go around and flush their cache every now and then, and force ITSP's to give random IP's to people on a revolving basis.
Where ever you go, there you are.

apodino

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
In the tug of war between two parties, a third party can greatly influence the results with the right pressure at the right point. Russia has an interest in keeping America divided. The funny thing is, so do the DNC and RNC. We really need more political parties in this country, and less money.

Russia has the power to influence very easily. if you ever go around, you can figure out how to target people based on their internet browsing caches and history. Just think of your history and what you see as ads on this site. It would be interesting if we could convince many people to go around and flush their cache every now and then, and force ITSP's to give random IP's to people on a revolving basis.

I know this is a conversation about Russia, and Trump should not dismiss concerns about Russia meddling so easily. After all that has happened the last four years, the last thing he should want is for any hint of a conspiracy between Trump and Putin.

I did want to touch on your second point though and mention China. Bloomberg is a guy trying to become the Democratic nominee for president. Bloomberg has various financial ties to China and its no secret that Bloomberg is not afraid to kiss the rear end of Xi Jianping to profit for his own benefit. He has all the money in the world to try to run this campaign as well. If Bloomberg somehow wins this thing, China will have a much bigger influence on our country that will make what Russia is doing look like child's play.

casinterest

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:11 pm

apodino wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I know this is a conversation about Russia, and Trump should not dismiss concerns about Russia meddling so easily. After all that has happened the last four years, the last thing he should want is for any hint of a conspiracy between Trump and Putin.

I did want to touch on your second point though and mention China. Bloomberg is a guy trying to become the Democratic nominee for president. Bloomberg has various financial ties to China and its no secret that Bloomberg is not afraid to kiss the rear end of Xi Jianping to profit for his own benefit. He has all the money in the world to try to run this campaign as well. If Bloomberg somehow wins this thing, China will have a much bigger influence on our country that will make what Russia is doing look like child's play.

China should not be ignored. China plays the long game, and they have been playing it very well. US Politics is very much about instant gratification, which has caused the violent swing of the two parties to the fringe. However China is more about buying long term influence and control, and Russia is much more about creating internal distractions for it's enemies while driving it's agenda elsewhere.

Bloomberg comes from a lot of money, but his money was made in the business world where he had to dance for a profit. The concern with Bloomberg is valid, as he would need to separate his business interests where he to become President.

bhill

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:26 pm

ltbewr wrote:
We may never know how much the allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 election affected the results. Indeed the serious problems of Hillary Clinton, the years of hateful attacks on her, her bad campaign decisions, going against a person in Trump that knows how to manipulate people and a long pent up reaction by White voters as to lost 'blue collar' jobs to automation and exported to Mexico and China, as to Blacks and immigrants were more likely tipping points. There is little we can do to limit the 1st Amendment speech rights of even foreign governments and persons with money to affect our elections since any significant restrictions, except for direct contributions to candidates, would be illegal. There is no doubt that for over a century and even today, the USA has done massive interference in elections, including wars, assassinations, pouring money to candidates, false ads like we accuse the Russians of doing, mainly to keep out 'communists' and promote pro-capitalist, pro-Corporate USA ones. In that sense, we are getting a taste of our own vile medicine.

Still, our governments including on the state levels, campaigns and parties must make sure to take strong actions to prevent hacking of computers, voting systems, use secure e-mail systems to prevent potential direct interference. Democrats also must come up with a candidate and policies to run on that will not chase away many White voters to Trump and Republicans.

Well, the POLITICAL damage is already done, and knowing Col. Putin, we will never know the full scope of his effort. All I care about is the unearthing of Trump's financial shenanigans with Russian Oligarchs and Thugs underwriting all his loans. There is a paper trail of that...his 1040's... and as soon as his appeals processes run out and they see the light of day, we can put this fool behind bars and us..
Carpe Pices

TWA772LR

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:22 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:

We're living in the age of Facebook and Twitter! Of course all the highest pedigree news are memes! :biggrin:

That said, I saw a meme during the 2016 election saying we could've had Leslie Knope vs Ron Swanson but instead we got Tammy 1 vs Tammy 2. I believe that's the most credible and true news I saw about that election.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

kaitak

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:01 pm

bhill wrote:
[quote="ltbewr"

Well, the POLITICAL damage is already done, and knowing Col. Putin, we will never know the full scope of his effort. All I care about is the unearthing of Trump's financial shenanigans with Russian Oligarchs and Thugs underwriting all his loans. There is a paper trail of that...his 1040's... and as soon as his appeals processes run out and they see the light of day, we can put this fool behind bars and us..

Given all of the evidence that is now available and the knowledge of what came out during the recent investigation by Mueller, I find it very hard to understand why - to this day - Trump's tax returns have not been made public and why he is successful in keeping them under wraps. Why did Mueller not sub-poena them. I can't believe he's not compromised in some way, given his financial history.

It's always been my belief that they never needed to give Trump a list of things they wanted; they were willing to take a hit on some things, such as sanctions, but for the rest, all they needed was for Trump to be himself. They had enough of knowledge, from their dealings with him to know how he operated and that given even one term, he could do enough damage to the US to set it back in so many ways for a very long time. They want to protect that "progress", so you can expect that they will fight dirty and unless we know more - particularly about the links between Trump and Russia, America is fighting with hands tied behind its back. We really need to know the full extent of this sooner rather than later. It's enough that this is when he leaves office, because this could quite conceivably be in 2025, not next January; how much damage could be do by then?

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:17 pm

I've given up on seeing Trump's tax returns. Nobody in power wants the public to see them.
you mention Robert Muller, but also Ruth Bader Ginsberg issued a stay regarding his banking records.

cairns

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 pm

How many of you know anyone who decided to vote for Trump instead of Hillary because they succumbed to Russian propaganda? How many of you will see such propaganda in 2020 and do the same?

Jeezuz what BS.

casinterest

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:33 pm

cairns wrote:
How many of you know anyone who decided to vote for Trump instead of Hillary because they succumbed to Russian propaganda? How many of you will see such propaganda in 2020 and do the same?

Jeezuz what BS.

There was tons of Russian Propoganda, and there are many voters that were targeted specifically for it. Especially on Facebook.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/us/p ... ebook.html

These were associative targeting that could have been done by most any Ad agency, but at the end of the day, the Russians were the ones buying the ads.

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:50 pm

cairns wrote:

Jeezuz what BS.

I have friends who didn't vote for Hillary because of James Comey opening an investigation 11 days before the election.
I have friends that posted the Russian propaganda lies on Facebook and stopped when I showed them they were not true and coming from a fake news site.

there was some serious BS going on in 2016.
Last edited by DLFREEBIRD on Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AirWorthy99

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:51 pm

Now that Bernie's campaign is also getting 'help' from Russia, what would they also say now?

U.S. officials have told Sen. Bernie Sanders that Russia is attempting to help his presidential campaign as part of an effort to interfere with the Democratic contest, according to people familiar with the matter.

President Trump and lawmakers on Capitol Hill have also been informed about the Russian assistance to the Vermont senator, according to people familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive intelligence.

It is not clear what form that Russian assistance has taken. U.S. prosecutors found a Russian effort in 2016 to use social media to boost Sanders’s campaign against Hillary Clinton, part of a broader effort to hurt Clinton, sow dissension in the American electorate and ultimately help elect Donald Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
“In my experience eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles.” Tyrion Lannister

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 pm

don't expect much response. Jeff Bezo has a stupid paywall because he doesn't make enough money. I will wait for NYT to run a story

AirWorthy99

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:25 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
don't expect much response. Jeff Bezo has a stupid paywall because he doesn't make enough money. I will wait for NYT to run a story

They won't run it too soon, because its not an anti-Trump news.

https://www.businessinsider.com/officia ... ign-2020-2

I guess investigations must begin now, since its just too much coincidence that Putin is helping Sanders, because Sanders honeymooned in Moscow, perhaps he was secretly trained to be a secret Russian agent that can later become president and work with Russia on the issues he likes. Adam Schiff should begin investigating soon enough, we are talking about an interference from a foreign power on our elections, this is too serious. I think Sanders knows a bit more about this, perhaps he can detail his dealings back when he was in Moscow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCfJxpqhd0
“In my experience eloquent men are right every bit as often as imbeciles.” Tyrion Lannister

DLFREEBIRD

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:51 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

https://www.businessinsider.com/officia ... ign-2020-2

I guess investigations must begin now, since its just too much coincidence that Putin is helping Sanders, because Sanders honeymooned in Moscow, perhaps he was secretly trained to be a secret Russian agent that can later become president and work with Russia on the issues he likes. Adam Schiff should begin investigating soon enough, we are talking about an interference from a foreign power on our elections, this is too serious. I think Sanders knows a bit more about this, perhaps he can detail his dealings back when he was in Moscow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCfJxpqhd0

NYT busy covering the coronavirus which has nothing to do with TRUMP.

THANKS FOR THE NON-PAID LINK.
I don't care, frankly, who [Russian President Vladimir Putin] wants to be president," Sanders told the Post in a statement. "My message to Putin is clear: stay out of American elections, and as president, I will make sure that you do."

cairns

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 pm

Some people have some really stupid friends. Doesn't reflect well on you. And BTW, the NYT has a paywall.

ParkFSI

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 pm

I don’t understand how anyone could be influenced on how to vote, I vote the way I want to.
Thread killer

Aaron747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 pm

ParkFSI wrote:
I don’t understand how anyone could be influenced on how to vote, I vote the way I want to.

When one doesn’t understand things, that’s what science is for:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/363/6425/374

NIKV69

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:40 pm

ParkFSI wrote:

It's a smoke screen, Hillary got handily defeated and the Dems are going to get similarly beat in November so instead of admitting that their policies are bad they have to make up some propaganda that the media can recite all day.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Aaron747

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
ParkFSI wrote:

It's a smoke screen, Hillary got handily defeated and the Dems are going to get similarly beat in November so instead of admitting that their policies are bad they have to make up some propaganda that the media can recite all day.

That’s your (unscientific) personal belief, but it isn’t borne out by facts. Disinformation is a systemized political tool these days - influence campaigns using social media have been observed by watchdog groups in over 70 nations. We’re only just starting to get a better understanding of the effects.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/tech ... 0p19G=7900

AirWorthy99

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
ParkFSI wrote:

That’s your (unscientific) personal belief, but it isn’t borne out by facts. Disinformation is a systemized political tool these days - influence campaigns using social media have been observed by watchdog groups in over 70 nations. We’re only just starting to get a better understanding of the effects.

So basically can you tell me how the Russian 'help' Bernie got influenced on Iowa and New Hampshire? if we follow this line? Because they told Bernie a month ago it was going on, today someone decided to leak it. Bernie sat on this info for a month.

Aaron747

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:02 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

So basically can you tell me how the Russian 'help' Bernie got influenced on Iowa and New Hampshire? if we follow this line? Because they told Bernie a month ago it was going on, today someone decided to leak it. Bernie sat on this info for a month.

Impossible to respond to your non sequitur. Nobody mentioned anything in the intel reports about IA and NH specifically that is public knowledge.

BravoOne

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 am

Aaron747 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/politics/trump-russia-intelligence-2020/index.html

Another warning about the 2020 election and influence from Russia to aid trump. This comes as no surprise to anyone who follows politics and has seen and heard many times how they already did this in 2016. There is also mention in other articles of China and Iran involved. You will notice trump reverting to form after the briefing.

What a bunch of BS. If anyone would benefit from Russian interference, it would be Commrade Sanders. He has looked kindly at a host of shady communist states for years. Turn off your cable news for starters.

Oh, so you have information our intel pros don’t possess? Please share sources with us!

Aron, this is right out of the Dmeocratic play book. Jind of surprises me to see them going down this path again.

Just saw that the arussians are trying to influence Nernies campaign. To quote Biden, Come on man, what are you thinking?

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:14 am

cairns wrote:
Some people have some really stupid friends. Doesn't reflect well on you. And BTW, the NYT has a paywall.

I didn't say it didn't. If you're trying to insult my friends they are older republicans. After Trump blew up our deficit
they are very concerned.

regarding Russian interference. We the voters deserve to know how we are being manipulated. I am shocked that the public is not angry enough to demand this!
Last edited by DLFREEBIRD on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:27 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
ParkFSI wrote:

A Sanders campaign staffer while being interviewed said Bloomberg had a heart attack. Which was disinformation. Why isn't she accused of trying to sway an election? Which is exactly what she was trying to do. There is nothing scientific about it. It's a made up thing designed to explain away how an icon lost to someone who never held office. Now the truth of the matter is Hillary wasn't likable. Insulted the Trump electorate and basically ran a terrible campaign while embracing far left doctrines that the middle of our electorate doesn't want. This will replay itself out in November since the DNC didn't learn anything and put out the worst candidates they possibly could. If reciting that Russia is interfering in our election as a way to fear monger and try to sway voters is all the Dems have it's going to be a long 4 years.
I am the Googlizer!!!

MaverickM11

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:29 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Keep lying! Literally the top story on the website:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/21/us/p ... e=Homepage
E pur si muove -Galileo

apodino

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:57 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I am going to raise the BS flag on this, and I actually give Bernie credit on this. From the limited reporting that is out there, it seems like this was known for a while and members of Congressional Intelligence Committees were given a classified briefing on this. Bernie was aware of this, but most of this info was classified which is why Bernie didn't say anything. Devin Nunes is actually filing a lawsuit on this issue because he is saying info in the report about him is false and he wants to know who leaked this, because this was classified and should not have been leaked by anyone. (Nunes is not going to win the lawsuit of course because the Washington Post is not going to give up the source on this). I smell a rat here, and I have no doubt that someone who had access to that briefing leaked this to the Washington Post in an attempt to blunt Bernie's momentum.

I may not like Bernie, but it seems like people in power are willing and trying to do anything in their power to stop him from getting this nomination. And with the voters speaking the way they have, this is very dangerous.

MaverickM11

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:12 am

NIKV69 wrote:
If reciting that Russia is interfering in our election as a way to fear monger and try to sway voters is all the Dems have it's going to be a long 4 years.

Are you saying Trump himself is “fear mongering to sway voters”?
“Mr. Trump himself wrote in a January letter accompanying the administration’s national counterintelligence strategy that “Russia remains a significant intelligence threat to United States interests — employing aggressive acts to instigate and exacerbate tensions and instability in the United States, including interfering with the security of our elections.””
E pur si muove -Galileo

DeltaMD90

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:43 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
regarding Russian interference. We the voters deserve to know how we are being manipulated. I am shocked that the public is not angry enough to demand this!

In my mind, the Russian disinformation campaign is not the problem, it's a symptom of our larger problem: people fail to employ logic and are so easily swayed by garbage

I do not condone what Russia is doing, at all. But I think blocking "all disinformation and shitty memes" is kind of, you know, impossible.

Not sure what my solution is... Educating people so they employ reason would do solve the issue, but saying that's easier said than done is a huge understatement.

That's why I contend we (as those on the left) need to fight that much harder, quit whining about x and y that we may have a disadvantage on, and nominate a strong leader with a clear message that inspires people. We need a leader that people rally behind and one that stupid memes are largely ineffective against. That's our winning formula, hopefully we don't blow it this cycle again

I've said since 2016:

Was there Russian interference? Yes

Did it hurt Hillary? Yes

Did it push it over the edge causing her to lose? Maybe

Who's fault is it then? Us on the left, we nominated a crap candidate that ran such a close race to Trump (!!!) that some crappy memes put us over the edge! We need to quit whining so much about Russia and nominate a strong candidate!!