Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

caliboy93
Topic Author

What if no one ran for president?

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Suppose it's an election year (say 2024), and nobody decides to run for the presidency. So therefore, no campaigns, debates, nothing. How is the president selected?

TangoandCash

Re: What if no one ran for president?

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:20 pm

If only we could be so lucky...

mham001

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:21 pm

Then the speaker of the House is effectively running for president.

ChrisKen

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:30 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
Suppose it's an election year (say 2024), and nobody decides to run for the presidency. So therefore, no campaigns, debates, nothing. How is the president selected?

A 'write-in candidate' would win.

Although the chances of neither of the two-party system fielding candidates is rather slim to say the least.

AirWorthy99

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:24 pm

Then we will have officially a plutocracy.

T18

Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:44 am

I suggest we just draft a random citizen and force it upon them.... that can't go bad right?

ltbewr

Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 pm

I think for years now the USA has had a very serious problem with who will run for political office on all levels including as President. Donald Trump shouldn't be President, but Hillary Clinton was horribly flawed too.
We are not developing good political leaders. It has become a money dominated election system, takes a lot of time, your whole life is exposed and the opposition exploits it, one has to lie and offer proposals that are one can never obtain to get elected and keep them up to get re-elected. If run for or become President, you and your extended family live a life in almost total isolation from the real world, a target for assassination or terrorism, having to pay back those that got you there with cushy appointments to government positions and having to make literally life and death decisions. It is no wonder few really qualified persons want to be the USA President unless so filled with ego and desire for power. Why be a President when one can make more money, have some privacy by being a CEO of a big company or in a lesser political office.
If Donald Trump wins re-election this year he cannot run in 2024 by our Constitution limits of 2 terms as President, despite what he says. For sure by then people will want to swing back to a competent Democrat, perhaps by then the Democrats will come up with an electable moderate, perhaps a State Governor who will defeat whoever the Republican is.

DL717

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:12 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

I’m pretty sure if this happened it would be a race between Mickey Mouse, Snoopy and a list of probably 20 superhero’s.

NIKV69

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Ted Cruz is most likley running so the Dems better get somebody other than Bernie to run in 2024

BravoOne

Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:44 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Ted Cruz is most likley running so the Dems better get somebody other than Bernie to run in 2024

Bernie won't live long enough to see 2024, assuming he is elected in 2020. The guy looks as if his BP is off the charts already.

seb146

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:43 pm

In an election, if no one is chosen, the Speaker Of The House would fill in until the Senate chooses someone, I believe. I am pretty sure an Electoral College tie goes to the Senate, so why wouldn't the Senate vote on a president if no one runs?

bgm

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:02 pm

DL717 wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

I’m pretty sure if this happened it would be a race between Mickey Mouse, Snoopy and a list of probably 20 superhero’s.

Someone didn’t pay attention to plurals and apostrophes in school. :duck:

Having a lump of coal as President would be preferential right to the piece of garbage we unfortunately have to endure at the moment.

peterinlisbon

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Then I would send them a letter and by default I would become President. My first law would be to make all airlines fly at least one 747.

Sokes

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:40 pm

We already got somebody in waiting. And the best: You can be in his cabinet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaduwhxg-lE&t=73s

Sokes

Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 pm

I changed my mind. I say let Eddie Murphy be President.
He already showed in "The Distinguished Gentleman" that he's competent.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disti ... _Gentleman

NIKV69

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:55 pm

seb146 wrote:
In an election, if no one is chosen, the Speaker Of The House would fill in until the Senate chooses someone, I believe. I am pretty sure an Electoral College tie goes to the Senate, so why wouldn't the Senate vote on a president if no one runs?

It's ok from what I head Gavin Newsom is more than interested in running in 2024

seb146

Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:19 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

It's ok from what I head Gavin Newsom is more than interested in running in 2024

What does that have to do with anything? The OP asked a legitimate question. Like the line of succession. I was trying to keep this informational because it is an interesting idea. But, if you want to turn this into a political debate, we will probably not have to worry about anyone running after 2020 since the Russian backed Republican leader will do everything in his power to stay in power.

NIKV69

Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:25 am

seb146 wrote:
What does that have to do with anything? The OP asked a legitimate question

No it was satire

seb146 wrote:

you want to turn this into a political debate, we will probably not have to worry about anyone running after 2020 since the Russian backed Republican leader will do everything in his power to stay in power.

No I don't. I am not the one posting conspiracy theories.

einsteinboricua

Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:36 pm

mham001 wrote:
Then the speaker of the House is effectively running for president.
Not technically. In the official line of succession, should something happen to the sworn-in president and vice president, then the Speaker gets to be sworn in. But in the case that neither a president nor a vice president have been elected, the Speaker is only acting-president. The courts and Congress could come to agree to swear in the Speaker after a confirmation vote from Congress, but absent that, the Speaker is only a caretaker official.

einsteinboricua

Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:44 pm

seb146 wrote:

The Senate chooses the vice-president. The House chooses the president. An electoral college tie for both positions throws the election to Congress:

-The House votes for president with each state's delegation casting one vote as a whole (CA's 53 seats have to agree to cast CA's 1 vote).
-The Senate votes for the vice-president, with each Senator entitled to one vote (WY's two senators cast a total of 2 votes, 1 each).

The House procedure should be interesting, especially in states where the delegation is tied (who will PA's vote go to with the current delegation?). Will representatives accept the popular vote as a way to cast their state's vote?...kidding...of course not!