seb146

Re: What are we going to do about the US Debt?

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:22 am

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
It is not really a low blow. I have family that teach, and families that could make a district better fail to volunteer or do anything to help the situation. I understand working parents, that happens in all districts, but some parents choose lunch hours to socialize instead of paying some time back at the school once a month or so. Culture changes when results are not seen.

In the case of a cash handout vs mortgage relief and rent relief, I could go either way, but if we are talking about 6 week increments of evaluation, I have to go with the Cash. 6 weeks and 3K (family of 4 ) sounds better than my mortgage at that time frame.

Huge chunks of that money is going to wasted on drugs, alcohol and sugar. Hookers and blow....Ultimately, it will land in the hands of banks who will feel little but can afford to suffer a bit as we all will. Ultimately, the children of today who prosper will face the burden of paying for the drugs, alcohol and sugar of those too dumb to either spend it wisely or raise taxpaying citizens.

You are absolutely sure about that? All these people who have crushing student debt? All these people who can not afford rent? All these people who can not afford to pay rent? What do you think will happen when banks and landlords and utility companies and banks tell us that we have to pay more because they gave us a break? Happens every time. They "help" but then demand pay back for "helping" us.

You also seem to forget that many people have been putting off non-essential medical and dental procedures because we have no money. That means huge chunks of money will be spent on things like dental care and mole removal and pain management and eye care and such. I know I will getting some dental work and new glasses, IF we get any money at all.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:42 am

seb146 wrote:
You are absolutely sure about that? All these people who have crushing student debt? All these people who can not afford rent? All these people who can not afford to pay rent? What do you think will happen when banks and landlords and utility companies and banks tell us that we have to pay more because they gave us a break? Happens every time. They "help" but then demand pay back for "helping" us.

Umm that can’t happen. Mortgages and rental leases are contracts - every state has laws mandating when they can and cannot be amended. Landlords generally cannot increase rent until a lease is renewed. And banks would have all kinda of unwanted legal trouble if they arbitrarily changed mortgage terms because payments were suspended by government order.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:44 am

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
It is not really a low blow. I have family that teach, and families that could make a district better fail to volunteer or do anything to help the situation. I understand working parents, that happens in all districts, but some parents choose lunch hours to socialize instead of paying some time back at the school once a month or so. Culture changes when results are not seen.

In the case of a cash handout vs mortgage relief and rent relief, I could go either way, but if we are talking about 6 week increments of evaluation, I have to go with the Cash. 6 weeks and 3K (family of 4 ) sounds better than my mortgage at that time frame.

Huge chunks of that money is going to wasted on drugs, alcohol and sugar. Hookers and blow....Ultimately, it will land in the hands of banks who will feel little but can afford to suffer a bit as we all will.

LOL not the best argument. Truckloads of money are being spent on those things without emergency handouts - the weak minded spend their own incomes on that stuff despite whatever other obligations they have.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:22 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Umm that can’t happen. Mortgages and rental leases are contracts - every state has laws mandating when they can and cannot be amended. Landlords generally cannot increase rent until a lease is renewed. And banks would have all kinda of unwanted legal trouble if they arbitrarily changed mortgage terms because payments were suspended by government order.

Recall that airlines started charging for bags. Cell phone companies charge different fees for who knows what. A corporation's top priority is getting as much money as possible. They will find a way. They always do.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aesma

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Here in France we won't get money, but if a company can't work or has to reduce work, then the government will pay employees' salaries, up to something like 6000€/month !

If you are self employed you can get 1500€/month.

The goal is to limit the number of layoffs, so that things can go back to previous levels of activity as soon as possible.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:37 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
No, but if I had that 12.4% and invested it over my working life, I would have been better off, so there’s that. It’s a bad deal, period. The point is local pols can be brought to account, exactly what can be done to an unelected bureaucrat?

It is actually more or less the same. You might be surprised how permanent local elected positions are. We had a councilwoman nearly lose her job the other year. This occurred because she literally blew the deadline to enter the race. Rules had to be changed to accommodate the error, but she saved her position in the end, so all is well.

Also, there are a bevy unelected positions in a every locality as well. And I am not convinced that is a bad thing anyway. Too often -nearly always in my experience- the voters who want to hold people 'to account' have no idea what they are talking about anyway. I really do feel elections need to start being limited to people who know what the actual job means/is about. At least at the local level.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:41 am

Aaron747 wrote:

Umm that can’t happen. Landlords generally cannot increase rent until a lease is renewed.

Hmmm. . . So how would that apply to a month - to - month situation? This is a lot of people as lease terms typically specify that after an initial period -usually a year- is up. . .
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."