Re: Early nominee for the year's Darwin Award

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:44 am

ER757 wrote:
"Mad Mike" Hughes
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/23/80864552 ... ade-rocket
Daredevil, Flat-Earther and a homemade rocket - what could possibly go wrong

I wish I could feel bad about this...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Aesma

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Sadly he had passed his genes on so he's not eligible.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:19 pm

ER757 wrote:
- what could possibly go wrong

The parachute?

May his way out have been without pain or panic.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:53 pm

You can tell that flat-earthers don't really have any brain to speak of. If Earth is flat, why don't they fly over to the edge and take a picture?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

alfa164

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:58 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
You can tell that flat-earthers don't really have any brain to speak of. If Earth is flat, why don't they fly over to the edge and take a picture?

Maybe they would... if their rocket wouldn't fail...

;)

ER757
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:51 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

Another thing that proved the lack of intelligence of this particular character is that he went up in his contraption instead of just strapping a Go-Pro on it. Or even better, getting a weather balloon and sending it high enough aloft to get a shot showing the curvature of the Earth.

DeltaMD90

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:54 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

You should research what they say yourself.

No, for real, do it! It's hilarious. A definite hour or so of fun.

I went onto a flat Earth forum... a lot of questions were answered. Like 5 times as many popped up, but many lolz were had.

There is no one, united theory (the posters on the site I went to admitted that most of them don't agree on much of anything except that the world is flat.) To answer your question, from what I've read, Antarctica basically surrounds all the continents and is patrolled by the UN using guys on snowmobiles (no, for real, not making that up.)

You probably won't be able to fly there and most of the discrepancies in flight time (like flying Australia to South Africa not taking a crazy amount of time vs northern hemisphere travel) is because of satellites, er I mean, "pseudolites" (again, not making this up lol).

Why does NASA and stuff lie? Not sure... Control? Money? (Even they weren't sure but those buzzwords sounded good to them.)

I encourage everyone to visit these forums, they're hilarious

alfa164

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:25 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
To answer your question, from what I've read, Antarctica basically surrounds all the continents and is patrolled by the UN using guys on snowmobiles (no, for real, not making that up.)

How do they keep the snowmobiles from falling off the edge of the earth? That ice in Antarctica is slick!

;)

KBOS

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:37 pm

alfa164 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Maybe they would... if their rocket wouldn't fail...

;)

The rocket looks like it worked fine, it was the parachute that let him down....quickly.
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

DL717

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:08 am

+1 for building a rocket on his own that actually did work in the past. -10 for being a clown.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

NIKV69

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:25 am

ER757 wrote:
"Mad Mike" Hughes
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/23/80864552 ... ade-rocket

Daredevil, Flat-Earther and a homemade rocket - what could possibly go wrong

Just drove through Barstow too lol. Wow.
I am the Googlizer!!!

tommy1808

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:59 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

Because the UN fleet patrolling the edge would shoot you down .......

Best regards
Thomas

N14AZ

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 am

Are we sure he was a convinced flat-earther? Maybe he just joined this minority because he sensed he could make a little bit of money with this idea.

As regards to the accident: as per the article the ladder ripped off the cover of the parachute or the parachute itself. How could this happen?

R.I.P.

trpmb6

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:17 pm

I am pretty sure that most "flat earthers" are just trolls. They sadly convince a few gullible people and well the result is this.

casinterest

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:17 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Are we sure he was a convinced flat-earther? Maybe he just joined this minority because he sensed he could make a little bit of money with this idea.

As regards to the accident: as per the article the ladder ripped off the cover of the parachute or the parachute itself. How could this happen?

R.I.P.

I read an article that said he didn't believe in flat earth, but he embraced it for the notoriety. This man was a stuntman, and safety took a backseat to grandstanding.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ThePointblank

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:55 pm

He clearly forgot to check his staging...

And he also needed moar struts and moar boosters.

(In case you didn't get the references, it's from Kerbal Space Program)

LCDFlight

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:03 pm

I think flat earth is possible, but it is just radically more complex than a sphere model of earth. Anything is "possible." We don't even know if Earth really exists or not.

meecrob

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:05 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
I think flat earth is possible, but it is just radically more complex than a sphere model of earth. Anything is "possible." We don't even know if Earth really exists or not.

Gravity would like a word with you.

Aesma

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:21 am

Yeah I understand believing in the Earth being flat if you have no basic understanding of physics, but once you get a bit more informed, it just doesn't work.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:29 am

meecrob wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Gravity is fake and really just buoyancy or Gravity is fake and the disk is just constantly accelerating upwards ....... would every flat earther ever say either one of those.....

LCDFlight wrote:
Anything is "possible."

we know plenty of things that are not possible. Pauli exclusion principle comes to mind for example....

best regards
Thomas

N14AZ

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:10 am

trpmb6 wrote:
I am pretty sure that most "flat earthers" are just trolls. They sadly convince a few gullible people and well the result is this.

casinterest wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

I read an article that said he didn't believe in flat earth, but he embraced it for the notoriety. This man was a stuntman, and safety took a backseat to grandstanding.

That's what I thought.

As per one article I read he had not much money to finance all these things...

Below the twitter video that shows his crash there are some very macabre comments. I even cannot resist from making jokes in the Civil Aviation forum but in this case I simply cannot do it. It's too tragic.

Wonder if there will be ever an official investigation. Will NTSB be in charge for a case like this? Sounds like a waste of money. Then again, maybe criminal investigations since maybe someone acted with gross negligence (yes, he himself for sure. But let's say one of his assistants during the final preparations...).

tommy1808 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Gravity is fake and really just buoyancy or Gravity is fake and the disk is just constantly accelerating upwards ....... would every flat earther ever say either one of those.....

So what speed has our disk now reached?

tommy1808

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:19 am

N14AZ wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

well, in year one, flat earthers tend to be young earth creationists surprisingly often, we got close to light speed and that is where we have been accelerating ever since...

That also requires that there actually is a dome over the disk where the stars are fixed, as otherwise they should have redshifted away..... well, not really.... since we would have trillions of years passing in every subjective seconds on the disk the Universe is long past burning all hydrogen and all we should see should be back holes exploding at the end of their lives....

best regards
Thomas

trpmb6

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:52 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

well, in year one, flat earthers tend to be young earth creationists surprisingly often, we got close to light speed and that is where we have been accelerating ever since...

That also requires that there actually is a dome over the disk where the stars are fixed, as otherwise they should have redshifted away..... well, not really.... since we would have trillions of years passing in every subjective seconds on the disk the Universe is long past burning all hydrogen and all we should see should be back holes exploding at the end of their lives....

best regards
Thomas

I don't want to get into a discussion about creationists but I'll just state in general terms that when you believe in an all powerful being with all powerful abilities you can explain anything away without the slightest concern for rationale. (I've posted on these forums in the past my experiences with such people and that dinosaur bones, for instance, were put there for us to discover and learn about.)

Admittedly, the spinning disk theory accelerating is an interesting one. Hadn't thought of that as an explanation of gravity. Though I don't dwell on such nonsense anyways.

LCDFlight wrote:

There is a measurable chance that this is just all a simulation. Or perhaps there really is an all powerful being and we're just some ant farm in his bedroom. But there is really no reason to dwell on such things when you consider the natural world and our observable universe and the physics that governs them.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:57 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

We absolutely know it does. Case closed. That will be twenty dollars, please.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

alfa164

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:10 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

Whatever you are smoking, you really should share it with the rest of us...

;)

LCDFlight

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:01 pm

Aesma wrote:
Yeah I understand believing in the Earth being flat if you have no basic understanding of physics, but once you get a bit more informed, it just doesn't work.

I think you can sum up my post as "simulation hypothesis." "Earth" may be a fictional item in a video game. Video games have gravity. They can also have antigravity. A simulation can do anything. You could probably build a flat Earth in a simulation and we could all be plugged into that simulation. It's not the most likely explanation, maybe 1 in a billion. It's not an explanation I use in my daily life. But to say it's impossible? It's not impossible. It is an issue of technology. Yes, it would be hard to invent the hardware and software for that, using alternate laws of physics. No, it's not impossible to invent it and trick people with it. In fact, I think humans will be tricking each other with virtual reality, and emergent realities created by AI, very soon.

This doesn't mean I honestly go around saying the Earth is flat. I know that for practical purposes, it is round, has gravity and the other astral bodies do too.

Aesma

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:02 pm

In "The Trilogy of the Ants" by Bernard Werber a computer runs such a simulation, where life is accelerated, at one point the "people" in the simulation become advanced enough to realize it. It's not what the books are about, just a small detail.

Playing first person video games for hours on end I have already fooled myself into believing I was really piloting my spaceship, and that was before VR headsets...

Jouhou

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:33 am

I was genuinely surprised this didn't happen sooner. Before he did it the first time there were already jokes about darwin awards.
情報

Jalap

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:33 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Will NTSB be in charge for a case like this? Sounds like a waste of money.

Surely the flat earthers should demand there is an investigation.
Was he shot down by UN? Or sabotage?
Clearly he came too close to the truth...

dfwjim1

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:30 pm

Mr. Hughes at one point in his life was considering a run for governor of California (Wiki). Not sure what party he was thinking about running under though.