Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146
Topic Author

Tiny Things That Drive You Insane

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:30 pm

It is like fingernails on the blackboard when I hear someone say "samwich" or "dinnint". I have to keep from banging my head against the wall when I hear someone talk about the ATM machine. Little things that should not bother me as much as they do. Everyone has those little peeves. It is interesting to hear what other people find maddening that is not really in the bigger picture.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DL717

Re: Tiny Things That Drive You Insane

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:06 am

People who say...“Could care less” Drives me nuts.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

NIKV69

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:27 am

When people say "easy peasy" I want to headbutt them into unconscious. Also when people say "Let's do a time check" which I think is more a UK thing.
I am the Googlizer!!!

DeltaMD90

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:40 am

Finding out someone that is very rational and smart is into something like astrology. Like what??

anrec80

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:53 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Finding out someone that is very rational and smart is into something like astrology. Like what??

In this case - sorry to say, but you found such an individual right here. :D :D :D I consider myself 100% practical and rational, and yet do read horoscope. And after some adventures in my life, started to at least somewhat believe in that stuff.

DeltaMD90

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:01 am

anrec80 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

In this case - sorry to say, but you found such an individual right here. :D :D :D I consider myself 100% practical and rational, and yet do read horoscope. And after some adventures in my life, started to at least somewhat believe in that stuff.

I don't mind casual reading for fun. Like someone that understands math but gambles a little money, for the fun. But really, do you believe the star alignments and stuff make any difference on anything on Earth? Surely you know about gravity and light years blah blah. Even planets are too far away.

Haven't they done studies where they read people the wrong horoscopes and it "coincidentally" applied to them? They are so vague they can apply to almost anyone.

IDK, beyond some "fun" I don't see how anyone can understand every tiny bits of science and *actually* take horoscopes seriously. I'm very understanding of people, too much so at times, but this is one area I'm completely at a loss

(Hits close to home if you couldn't pick up lol)

IDK, enlighten me. Can't say I'll agree or even see your point of view but I try and try to keep an open mind (not a typo lol)

sonicruiser

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:12 am

1. When the boss stops by at the end of the shift to drop something off with a smirk on his face.
2. Animals that leap out into the middle of the road at the absolute last second.
3. People who pass me on the freeway doing 70.01 mph while I'm going 70.
4. People who smack their lips.
5. People who spend ten minutes perusing the menu at a drive-thru. It's McDonald's, fucker...they have the same shit as every other McDonald's. If you really need that much time, get out of your car and haul your ass inside.
6. Companies/businesses who only unlock one of their glass doors and then post a crappy handwritten sign that says "Use other door." It takes ten seconds to unlock it.
7. When you put your phone on charge and go to sleep. Then you wake up and realize that it was never charging in the first place.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

MrHMSH

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 am

Constant misspelling of they're/their/there, you're/your and should've/would've/could've.

casinterest

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:34 am

People driving slow on the interstates and not getting to the right hand side.
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:00 am

sonicruiser wrote:
3. People who pass me on the freeway doing 70.01 mph while I'm going 70.

oh, no.... this is one thing I can not deal with. If you are going to pass, pass. If you want to go the same speed, fine. There are sections of I-5 between Eugene and Seattle that need a third lane but these idiots who demand on going .5MPH faster then get me trapped in the right lane is infuriating!

sonicruiser wrote:
5. People who spend ten minutes perusing the menu at a drive-thru. It's McDonald's, fucker...they have the same shit as every other McDonald's. If you really need that much time, get out of your car and haul your ass inside.

They have breakfast bagels at Nevada McDonald's. The basic menu is the same across the United States, I get it. But, there are regional specialties. And people are waiting on drunk/stoned friends to text them with the order.

So, yeah, you are like 99% right....

sonicruiser wrote:
6. Companies/businesses who only unlock one of their glass doors and then post a crappy handwritten sign that says "Use other door." It takes ten seconds to unlock it.

Hinges might be broken or the arm or motor on the one side might have shorted out. There are many reasons why one door is out of service.

seb146
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:08 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

I don't mind casual reading for fun. Like someone that understands math but gambles a little money, for the fun. But really, do you believe the star alignments and stuff make any difference on anything on Earth? Surely you know about gravity and light years blah blah. Even planets are too far away.

Haven't they done studies where they read people the wrong horoscopes and it "coincidentally" applied to them? They are so vague they can apply to almost anyone.

IDK, beyond some "fun" I don't see how anyone can understand every tiny bits of science and *actually* take horoscopes seriously. I'm very understanding of people, too much so at times, but this is one area I'm completely at a loss

(Hits close to home if you couldn't pick up lol)

IDK, enlighten me. Can't say I'll agree or even see your point of view but I try and try to keep an open mind (not a typo lol)

You say that now but Mercury is in retrograde and Jupiter is transiting Orion. Once Gemini rises, all that doubt will disappear. ;)

Kno

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 am

Most of it is driving related

Driving related:

- When somebody pulls out of a driveway or a side street aggressively so they can drive 5 mph below the speed limit - why would you rudely cut someone off if you clearly could care less about what time you arrive at your destination?

- When somebody thinks they are being polite by stopping their car in the middle of the street so somebody on a driveway or side street can turn onto the main road - congratulations you inconvenienced the 20 people behind you to do something nice for 1 person (unpopular opinion, but think about it).

- When somebody sits behind the maker at a green light when trying to make a turn and just lets it turn red..... Pull up into the damn intersection its the only way any of us are going to get to make our turn.

- Slow drivers in the left lane

- Truckers who get in the left lane holding up dozens of cars so they can take 10 minutes passing another truck who is driving .5 mph slower

- LA drivers (I drive mostly in Boston and NYC), you guys all wonder apathetically through the lanes with no rhyme or reason or sense of whats going on around you, it's as if the traffic situation is so bad the locals just said "F' it might as well make it worse, we'll be here all day anyway!"

- People who do reckless freak out maneuvers when they make a wrong turn or drive 5mph when they don't know where they are --- pull over and figure it out why are you holding everyone else up?

- When people get into fender benders on busy roads and create a giant traffic jam instead of pulling off into the break down lane when their cars are clearly driveable.

- The fact that pedestrians have the right of way in MA - it encourages people to just wonder into the streets all over Boston with entitlement, even when they aren't in cross walks. It's obnoxious for traffic and unsafe for pedestrians - NYC has it right, people in that city are afraid of getting hit by cars AS THEY SHOULD BE.

Non driving related:

- Nail biting, I don't know many who do, but when I notice it, I hate it.

- When you hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you.

- This one is never personal, but it always sucks when you're in line somewhere to get a coffee something straight forward to eat for yourself, and the person in front of you has 20 nit picky orders for the whole office.

- When the whole table clearly needs another drink and the waiter only takes the drink order of the member of your party who summoned them.

- People who are well consistently flaky

- When you're in a relatively empty public rest room at a urinal and a guy comes up and uses the one right next to you. You could have chosen any urinal and you choose the one right next to me? I feel like it's an unspoken rule that guys rarely violate. It's a common sense kind of thing.

I could probably go on and on but the above are the most common.

N14AZ

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:12 am

When people sitting close to me (e.g. in a train or a meeting) bob their legs with high frequency. Makes me crazy...

DeltaMD90 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

I don't mind casual reading for fun. Like someone that understands math but gambles a little money, for the fun.

I don’t believe in horoscopes but I have to admit that I somehow believe in the Chinese star signs. Well, „believing“ is maybe too strong. It’s rather that I read the description of the star signs several years ago and I have to say for me (a vain rooster), my wife (faithful dog) and my father in law (dog as well) the description fits very well (useless to say that my mother in law is a dragon (didn’t have to read such stuff to figure that out (... although dragon is a good sign))).

casinterest wrote:
People driving slow on the interstates and not getting to the right hand side.

I thought in the US you can drive wherever you want, independent from your speed? Well, maybe that’s different from state to state...

sonicruiser wrote:
7. When you put your phone on charge and go to sleep. Then you wake up and realize that it was never charging in the first place.

I hate this as well. When I connect my phone with the charger before going to bed, I actually check three times if I can see the symbol for phone charging on the display. When I put it back onto the ground I always fear that I somehow disconnect it again. I clean this tiny opening for charging my phone, especially in winter, because small pieces of wool from your jacket, pullover or whatever might disturb the connection.

tommy1808

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:53 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:

you mean you found out that they are not rational :)

What drives me insane just about every day:

Microsoft Outlook not using CTRL+F to forward an e-Mail instead of opening a search dialog.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:50 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:

I'm with you, my grandmother was into this. Shocked me. She wanted to know when each of my children were born down to the second to have a chart made for them.
she was very successful real estate agent, who knew everybody in town and people would see my name on my credit card and ask me if i knew her. This lady must of sold a house to half the people in my town. She had great southern charm. In her later years, she picked it up as something to do. i would imagine.

I don't get it.

my pet peeves

people who say i have a bone to pick with you
people who park crooked and take up two spaces
people who honk a second after the light changes

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:50 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:

I'm with you, my grandmother was into this. Shocked me. She wanted to know when each of my children were born down to the second to have a chart made for them.
she was very successful real estate agent, who knew everybody in town and people would see my name on my credit card and ask me if i knew her. This lady must of sold a house to half the people in my town. She had great southern charm. In her later years, she picked it up as something to do. i would imagine.

I don't get it.

my pet peeves

people who say i have a bone to pick with you
people who park crooked and take up two spaces
people who honk a second after the light changes

wiggy

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 am

1. people who deliberately drive slow
2. people tooting for no reason

hkg82

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:30 am

When people type "of" instead of "have" in could have, should have, would have. Jesus christ.

lugie

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:39 am

N14AZ wrote:
When people sitting close to me (e.g. in a train or a meeting) bob their legs with high frequency. Makes me crazy...

People who don't know public transit etiquette!

The most infamous example is the 2x2 vis-à-vis seating setup: if I, for example, sit in the front-facing window seat, then proper etiquette for a single passenger joining the setup is for them to pick the rear-facing aisle seat. Logic, right?
    No, there's a lot of people who think sitting down directly opposite from me (thus stretching their legs in between mine) or right next to me is the way to go - nothing worse than this.

Also people who, when there are still entire open rows across the carriage, will choose to sit next to you.

People who don't respect the universal sign of "headphones in" and try to make casual conversation out of nowhere.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:37 am

lugie wrote:

Also people who, when there are still entire open rows across the carriage, will choose to sit next to you.

I had a trip several years ago aboard a 77W. I was in zone 5, pretty far aft, assigned to a window. A man sat next to, in the center seat. After the doors closed, it was clear that there was only one other person in that row, on the far window.

I told him, 'This is great. We have all these open seats.'

He did not take the hint, and insisted in remaining there in the center seat. I did not feel it should have required further explanation, but apparently this was not the case. I resolved the issue shortly after that. But remained perplexed that this simpleton was fine with voluntarily occupying a tight-pitched center seat, next to a stranger, for what would have been ten or so hours.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

WesternDC6B

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:03 pm

* People who hang on my rear bumper, and when I pull over to let them pass, they continue at the very same speed I am going.

* Phrases: “[insert thing here] on steroids!”, “back in the day”, ‘preezy’ in place of president, “lib” for leftist, “are you $h1ting me?!?” in place of “really?” or “are you serious?” “Pet peeve”: is every peeve a pet peeve? Or, just one? Remember: some cities have ordinances about how many pets one may have in a single household. I believe peeves are included.

* Vulgar discourse having become acceptable in everyday conversation. Everywhere one goes, conversations are sprinkled heavily with verbs about reproductive gymnastics, or elimitation of bodily waste. One very common in certain demographics is an incestuous reference, and it is even common in song lyrics.

* “Music” that is nothing but the same several measures repeated over and over, to such original lyrics as “ooh baby baby”. Equally annoying is the drone-like chanting of vulgar language to drum-machine tracks mixed with clips of “music” stolen from others. Cole Porter it’s not!

* People who tell you that your political or world-views should be this or that, based on your religious heritage or sexual orientation, or membership in a particular organization. Example: one I heard more than once when I was a member of Mensa, “Really?!? How could a MENSAN think [opinion or view contrary to that of the speaker]?”. (I eventually got smart, and left Mensa.)

* ALL CAPITAL LETTER COMMENTS AS IF SHOUTING makes the comment more valid.

* Buildings and houses with no clear address markings. I’m not sure how this gets past fire inspections because most fire codes require clear address markings. Yes, my own house is CLEARLY marked. I am old, and if I need help in a hurry, I don’t need the EMTs paying guess-guess.

* Background music that is loud to the point one cannot converse.

* Television sets seemingly everywhere. Doctor waiting rooms are bad for this, and they seem to all be tuned to those silly home remodeling channels. I take a look around me, and the others in the waiting room are reading, texting, or doing virtually anything but watching the TV. And, the sound is on! Virtually every television manufactured for use in the USA has closed captioning built in, and has had for probably 15 to 20 years.
Last edited by WesternDC6B on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

WesternDC6B

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:06 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Constant misspelling of they're/their/there, you're/your and should've/would've/could've.

Too / to / two (tsy, good byeeee...). <— sorry. had to...
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

MrHMSH

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:03 pm

hkg82 wrote:
When people type "of" instead of "have" in could have, should have, would have. Jesus christ.

I think we might be soulmates.

afcjets

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:12 pm

Drivers who back out of a parking space like they're a 777 on pushback.

Redd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:27 pm

Drivers not respecting cyclist's space on the road. Not too small a thing considering how many cyclists are killed because of dickhead drivers, people behind the wheel really need to start looking at cyclists as humans, mothers, fathers, brothers, etc.....

And if you're going to reply with, ''but cyclists....." just STFU right now, thank you. ;)

DeltaMD90

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Redd wrote:
Drivers not respecting cyclist's space on the road. Not too small a thing considering how many cyclists are killed because of dickhead drivers, people behind the wheel really need to start looking at cyclists as humans, mothers, fathers, brothers, etc.....

And if you're going to reply with, ''but cyclists....." just STFU right now, thank you. ;)

It definitely goes both ways. I'm gonna give cyclists their room but sometimes they obnoxiously take up WAY too much space. No, you're not going the speed limit, you're going 20 under, GTFO of the way, ride single file along the edge of the road instead of taking up as much room as an 18 wheeler

---

Someone else mentioned something similar but I hate it when someone else clearly has the right away but they'll come to a stop to be "nice" and let you go. It blocks all the other traffic behind them and many times it literally takes more time trying to figure out what they're doing than if they just went like they should have. If you have the right of way, just go, for all of our sakes

N14AZ

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:34 pm

Redd wrote:

Thank you for reminding me, I forgot this point in my previous post:

Pair of cyclists, who ride side by side on the main road just to talk to each other, thereby blocking the traffic.

Typically, this happens during summer time and in particular during the time of the Tour de France, when all cyclists feel like little Armstrongs.

Erebus

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Redd wrote:

I agree with drivers needing to share space with cyclists like they are part of the traffic. But sometimes, I feel cyclists should show some respect to drivers as well for their own safety. I especially hate it when I'm stopped at a red light and they crawl up beside in the gap between my car and the road side or disregard turn signals and pass you like you weren't there. That is an accident just waiting to happen.

Kno

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:36 pm

Redd wrote:

I know you're only being half serious in asking nobody respond with a "but cyclists" but I think it's pretty obvious that you're just as likely to come across cyclists with no respect for drivers or their safety as you are to come across drivers with no respect for cyclists. With cyclists the audacity seems a little more ridiculous, they're at more risk than anyone in a car. Some examples of bad cyclist behavior I regularly see:

- Bicyclists in hogging an entire road - stay single file to the side, you shouldn't be inconveniencing everyone else because you wanted to go for a joyride.

- Plenty of bicyclists have no respect for right of way.

- Bicyclists in big cities dodging in front of you as you're making a turn - this one is so common, the smart cyclists maneuver to pass on the side of my car opposite to the direction I'm turning. Some cities (NYC included) paint the cyclist lanes with the direction cars will be turning in mind to make it obvious but on streets that don't spell it out it should still be common sense.
Last edited by Kno on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kno

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:45 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Someone else mentioned something similar but I hate it when someone else clearly has the right away but they'll come to a stop to be "nice" and let you go. It blocks all the other traffic behind them and many times it literally takes more time trying to figure out what they're doing than if they just went like they should have. If you have the right of way, just go, for all of our sakes

Glad I'm not the only one!

Often times the person who thinks their being nice ends up getting visibly frustrated when you don't pull out after they've stopped for you - what they always fail to realize is just because they've decided to stop out of a false sense of kindness doesn't mean the on coming traffic I have to merge into has decided to stop as well.

One more:

Yield doesn't mean cruise through with no regard and play a game of chicken if someone is already in the lane you've moving into, it means look around and give the traffic you're merging into the right of way. Bostonians are the worst with this, for some reason at every yield sign you either have people coming to a complete stop and sitting when there are no cars to stop for or you have people blowing through yield signs in high speed traffic with zero regard for whats going on around them.
Last edited by Kno on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seb146
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Car drivers around here will stop for no good reason. They will stop at an intersection with no light or signs to let cross traffic go. Some will stop at green lights to let cross traffic go or to let pedestrians cross against the light. If there is no light and a pedestrian is trying to cross at the corner, fine. But when there is a light and they are waiting to cross when the light tells them, then drive on through the intersection!

That's another thing: pedestrians who feel they can cross any time and any where they feel. There is a correct way to jaywalk. Stepping in front of traffic is not the way.

ER757

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:48 pm

People who type "then" when they mean "than" - example: A 747 is bigger then a 777. Makes me cringe every time

On the cyclists thing - I ride my bike to work when I can so I am not anti-cyclist. But yeah, when they take up a lane of traffic on a busy road it is just rude. I occasionally see a rider doing this when I have to drive in rather than bike - and here's the crazy part. There is a bike trail literally a block east of that main road that goes parallel to the road for many miles (I take the trail). So WTF is a cyclist doing on a busy highway in the dark early in the morning? Do they ave a death wish or are they just pretentious A-holes?

Kno

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:53 pm

seb146 wrote:
Car drivers around here will stop for no good reason. They will stop at an intersection with no light or signs to let cross traffic go. Some will stop at green lights to let cross traffic go or to let pedestrians cross against the light. If there is no light and a pedestrian is trying to cross at the corner, fine. But when there is a light and they are waiting to cross when the light tells them, then drive on through the intersection!

That's another thing: pedestrians who feel they can cross any time and any where they feel. There is a correct way to jaywalk. Stepping in front of traffic is not the way.

Sounds like classic suburban and rural New England.

DeltaMD90

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Ooh, another one!

People going BELOW the speed limit on a road with a single lane of traffic going my direction, especially when I can't pass them.

I get frustrated when I'm stuck behind someone going the speed limit but I can't get mad at them for obeying the rules, but when they're under, I rage so hard

Redd

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:37 pm

Kno wrote:
I know you're only being half serious in asking nobody respond with a "but cyclists" but I think it's pretty obvious that you're just as likely to come across cyclists with no respect for drivers or their safety as you are to come across drivers with no respect for cyclists. With cyclists the audacity seems a little more ridiculous, they're at more risk than anyone in a car. Some examples of bad cyclist behavior I regularly see:

- Bicyclists in hogging an entire road - stay single file to the side, you shouldn't be inconveniencing everyone else because you wanted to go for a joyride.

- Plenty of bicyclists have no respect for right of way.

- Bicyclists in big cities dodging in front of you as you're making a turn - this one is so common, the smart cyclists maneuver to pass on the side of my car opposite to the direction I'm turning. Some cities (NYC included) paint the cyclist lanes with the direction cars will be turning in mind to make it obvious but on streets that don't spell it out it should still be common sense.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is that don't let the bad cyclists, which are rare in my experience, influence your attitude towards all cyclists. We're on a bike and are pretty vulnerable to injury or death.

- If we're riding in a peleton of several riders, we always ride doubles. It's much safer for us to take up the whole lane and have cars pass us as if they're passing another vehicle, outside of the lane. It's also safer for the drivers because it shortens the length of the peleton in half so you have half of the distance of cyclists to pass. It's been done that way for over 100 years, and the road laws recommend cyclists to ride that way as well.

- I don't see that often, as a driver or cyclist. But I live in Europe so Im sure it's quite different. I know NYC cyclists and messengers are pretty nuts.

- Cyclists also are recommended to ride a meter from the side of the road, it forces cars to give a wider arc while passing us instead of trying to pass squeezed in the lane between the cyclist and the lines. Its also necessary because the edge of the road has holes, cracks and lots of other things to avoid, which would mean weaving around these if a cyclist were to ride at the edge.

luckyone

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:04 pm

People who bring their entire belongings with them and then place them in 17 carry on bags, that they then have to unload at airport security.

People who stand in the middle of the bus with no apparent awareness that they are as wide as the aisle and are preventing people from getting to open space behind them.

People who stop in the middle of sidewalks or walkways because they think they're lost or need to check where they're going. Move over and look you dimwit.

Slow walkers who can't seem to walk in a straight line and cut me off when I'm trying to politely move past them.

So basically rude and inconsiderate people drive me nuts.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Redd wrote:

It definitely goes both ways. I'm gonna give cyclists their room but sometimes they obnoxiously take up WAY too much space. No, you're not going the speed limit, you're going 20 under, GTFO of the way, ride single file along the edge of the road instead of taking up as much room as an 18 wheeler

I'm going to add that cyclists and the self righteousness drive me up the wall. You may be doing your fitness a favor but you aren't saving the world. I'm fully aware that gas taxes and registration fees pay for maybe half of road maintenance, but unlike cars you don't have to register to share the road with your bicycle--that bothers me. I WILL be ticketed if my car is not legally permitted and registered to drive on public roads. Until you have to register your bicycles and pay for the privilege of operating them on public streets, GTFO of my paid, legally registered vehicle's way.

aeromoe

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:19 pm

wiggy wrote:

Please define tooting.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

aeromoe

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:42 pm

Oh there are a LOT. Like using 'then' and 'than' incorrectly. I just read the OP on a story here on A.net and sure enough, 'then' is used when 'than' is the correct word. Hint: the story has to do with Southwest Airlines adding gates at Denver. Second paragraph. GET IT EFFING RIGHT! And the list goes on with English grammar and spelling. Many have already stated some of my very pet peeves. None of us are perfect, I get it, but it is basic English.

Another is when the media reports an airline delay and states "they sat on the runway for 'n' hours." The hell they did. They sat on an apron, or maybe even a taxiway, or at a gate. But very rarely do delayed planes sit on a runway for any length of time.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

ChrisKen

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Ooh, another one!

People going BELOW the speed limit on a road with a single lane of traffic going my direction, especially when I can't pass them.

I get frustrated when I'm stuck behind someone going the speed limit but I can't get mad at them for obeying the rules, but when they're under, I rage so hard

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe or wise. I can take off legally in pretty much zero vis, we'll be up the proverbial if we had to make an immediate return to the field though.
A speed limit defines a maximum, legally allowed speed; it doesn't mean you must drive at it.
I would suggest professional help for that rage, it's not healthy and quite frankly it's not much good for your driving either.

DeltaMD90

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:52 am

ChrisKen wrote:
I would suggest professional help for that rage, it's not healthy and quite frankly it's not much good for your driving either.

:roll:

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:47 am

ChrisKen wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
Ooh, another one!

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe or wise. I can take off legally in pretty much zero vis, we'll be up the proverbial if we had to make an immediate return to the field though.
A speed limit defines a maximum, legally allowed speed; it doesn't mean you must drive at it.

I have driven all over the West. I see speed limit signs and have, at times, been well below the posted limit. And I put my foot into it so I am near the posted limit. I get what Delta is saying. If I am looking for an address or something specific, I pull over and let everyone behind me go around so I can go at my pace. They have lives, they know where they are going and what they are doing. I expect the same courtesy.

At the same time, there are weather conditions where I do not feel safe driving the posted limit. If others want to drive 65MPH in a blinding blizzard or a flood, I have 911 on speed dial. I will drive my slow pace and good luck to you, sir or madam.

mchei

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:07 am

I really hate the phrase “at the end of the day” and its 1:1 translation into German “am Ende des Tages”, which became very popular. It’s being used so much and there’re people that use it in every single sentence they produce.

In a plane I really get mad at people that unfasten their seatbelts before the plane arrives at the gate/stops at the stand just to jump out of their seats and stand in the middle of the aisle for no reason whatsoever. Special mention to those who don’t let others leave their seats, extra clever when there clearly is a bus that will bring you to the gate. Also there is this special breed of businessmen, and I have never seen women doing this, that have phone calls in a bus or on the plane just after landing or after doors have been shut during which they show how important they are - “yeah, let’s do it, 3,000,000,000,000, not even worth talking about it, get it done, I approve it” or “we should fire <full name>“.

I also have an issue with people that are not appreciative when you offer help or even get rude.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

stl07

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:47 am

afcjets wrote:
Drivers who back out of a parking space like they're a 777 on pushback.

8-) 8-) 8-) You found one here. But after getting into an accident backing out, I started taking long and have not stopped since. I do, however, feel sorry for everyone else. However, I'm sure they woudl rather have their car intact and me take long
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:51 am

People blaming the media, or nowadays the "it" phrase is the MSM, for all social problems and/or inaccuracies in public opinion from reality.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

N14AZ

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:11 am

Redd wrote:
- If we're riding in a peleton of several riders, we always ride doubles. It's much safer for us to take up the whole lane and have cars pass us as if they're passing another vehicle, outside of the lane. It's also safer for the drivers because it shortens the length of the peleton in half so you have half of the distance of cyclists to pass. It's been done that way for over 100 years, and the road laws recommend cyclists to ride that way as well.

Well, this thread was meant to be fun but I have to admit that it didn’t know this (road laws) but I would reconsider my attitude towards cyclists blocking the road if there is such legal standard. Or even a simple recommendation based on some analysis. But to which „road laws“ are you referring to?

mchei wrote:
I really hate the phrase “at the end of the day” and its 1:1 translation into German “am Ende des Tages”, which became very popular. It’s being used so much and there’re people that use it in every single sentence they produce.

Interesting. I have a very similar issue and this is a unique opportunity to check whether I am wrong or not: we all use the phrase „please find attached“ when sending a file by e-mail. But one of my colleagues writes „Bitte finde beigefügt..“ wenn sending e-mails in German language. I am writing business letters, facsimile etc. since about 25 years but I never ever read such a phrase in German. It sounds awful to me. Is this a new fashion? Has anybody heard „bitte finde beigefügt“ before?

mchei wrote:
Also there is this special breed of businessmen, and I have never seen women doing this, that have phone calls in a bus or on the plane just after landing or after doors have been shut during which they show how important they are - “yeah, let’s do it, 3,000,000,000,000, not even worth talking about it, get it done, I approve it” or “we should fire <full name>“.

Yes, that’s awful. I think this is a modern form of:

Source-just an example: https://gorillafund.org/when-gorillas-g ... an-happen/

Redd

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:37 am

luckyone wrote:
I'm going to add that cyclists and the self righteousness drive me up the wall.
Self righteousness.... :rotfl: Let me give you a little hint at what I've learned in the past 11 years of amateur competitive cycling. The only self-righteous cyclists are newbies and they make up a very, very small percentage of cyclists. So in other words, you're looking for criticism to throw at cyclists. I've noticed that cyclists evoke those feelings in people with some personalities complex issues. Mostly fat/unfit people.

So if cyclists drive you up the wall, as you say, it's time for some introspection. ;)
Last edited by Redd on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redd

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:51 am

N14AZ wrote:
Well, this thread was meant to be fun but I have to admit that it didn’t know this (road laws) but I would reconsider my attitude towards cyclists blocking the road if there is such legal standard. Or even a simple recommendation based on some analysis. But to which „road laws“ are you referring to?

Highway code, rules of the road, road laws..... Depending on the country the names are different. But in the section which mentions rules of the road for cyclists, and the subsection for group training, it recommends riding two by two in all the EU countries I've checked and ridden in. Not sure how it is in the USA, but it makes sense it should be the same as it shortens the distance to pass. There is also the precedent set by well over 100 years of the sport. Road Cycling had been a popular sport well before the Model T Ford came out, and little has changed in the way cyclists ride and train since the beginning. Save for cigarettes and alcohol being used as performance enhancing drugs... lol

The first Tour de France was in 1903, the first Giro d'Italia was in 1909, the first Paris - Roubaix was in 1896 (and many others which started around the same era), all of these races have been held annually since their beginning save for WW1 & WW2 years so the way cyclists use the road is nothing new and the safest way to do it is very well understood and practised... Cyclists had been training this way since before people had cars.

It's also good to understand that sometimes they seem a bit sloppy on the road as an average training ride is 100km +, so we do get a bit tired at times. :crazy:

Give this a quick read about why cyclists ride two abreast. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... deo-187215

T18

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:05 pm

Lane discipline is appalling in the US on highways. Most states have laws restriction left lane usage to overtaking and prohibit undertaking, but next to zero departments enforce these statues. I wouldn't even call that annoyance a little thing.

Some things that bug me, people who cannot pronounce certain words right. For example, potable and pitot, specifically the later how can you work in aviation and get that wrong. Add to that place names, like I get that some places have multiple ways to say them (like Louisville) even if there is one that is more common thats whatever to me but when you get places like Helena and Dickinson wrong it just bugs me. There is no R in Dickinson so stop calling it Dickerson. Another one that bugs me a little is calling an airport by a name or identify that it does not have. For example I dislike when people do 3 letter abbreviations for airports that do not match the IATA or ICAO codes, like DIA for Denver and KCI for Kansas City. And now for a really dumb one, I hate we people call any video game system a 'Nintendo' specifically when it has a big Sony or Xbox logo on it, in the same vain when someone calls any handheld a 'gameboy'. My mother keeps calling my Switch a GameBoy any time I visit and have it with me, and I keep telling her "Mom they haven't made or sold the GameBoy in 10 years"
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Aviaphile

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:53 pm

A phenomenon that only exists in the UK in the entire English speaking world: When people say, "I'm sat here typing this." and "I was stood waiting for a bus." instead of sitting and standing.
"He wants his head examining" instead of "He needs to have his head examined."
People who insert apostrophes where they are not required
There vs their
Somethink
Conversations which go - in the UK again: A - "Would you like something to drink?" B - "No, you're all right." Surely the response should be "No, I'm all right, thanks."
"I've got no electric." instead of "I've got no electricity."
A300 310 319 320 321 332 343 346 380 ATR42 Bae146 707 720 721 722 732 733 734 735 738 741 742 743 744 74D SP 752 762 763 772 1-11400 500 Concorde DC3 DC910 30 50 DC10-30 MD11 Trident 1 2 3 Dash 7 DH6 Do228 328 F27 28 HS 748 LX45 L1011200 Viscount 700 800

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:15 pm

aeromoe wrote:
wiggy wrote:

Please define tooting.

According to Wikipedia, it is a district in South London, part of the London Borough of Wandsworth, and known for it's large Asian community.
Nothing to see here; move along please.