Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BigOrange

Re: Tiny Things That Drive You Insane

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:32 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Constant misspelling of they're/their/there, you're/your and should've/would've/could've.

And the latest one of/off the wrong way round

N14AZ

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:41 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
wiggy wrote:
1. people who deliberately drive slow
2. people tooting for no reason

Please define tooting.

According to Wikipedia, it is a district in South London, part of the London Borough of Wandsworth, and known for it's large Asian community.

I am pretty sure he meant:
to blare [honk, toot]
to honk [car horn]
to toot
to beep
to hoot [esp. Br.] [blow a car horn, toot]
to blow a horn
to blow the horn
to honk the horn
to sound one's horn
to hoot the car horn (automotive)

I don’t know but this was definitely an issue when I worked in Turkey. After a long day I asked the driver if I may drive the car, just to relax a little bit. He agreed but after half an hour he suddenly said : „N14AZ, you are a good driver. But you have to use the horn more often.“ I replied: „Why? There is no danger, no traffic, nothing?!“ He: „yeah, true, but from time to time you have to use the horn“ :banghead:

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:59 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I replied: „Why? There is no danger, no traffic, nothing?!“ He: „yeah, true, but from time to time you have to use the horn“ :banghead:

How else will someone else know you have a car?
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

luckyone

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Redd wrote:
luckyone wrote:
I'm going to add that cyclists and the self righteousness drive me up the wall.
Self righteousness.... :rotfl: Let me give you a little hint at what I've learned in the past 11 years of amateur competitive cycling. The only self-righteous cyclists are newbies and they make up a very, very small percentage of cyclists. So in other words, you're looking for criticism to throw at cyclists. I've noticed that cyclists evoke those feelings in people with some personalities complex issues. Mostly fat/unfit people.

So if cyclists drive you up the wall, as you say, it's time for some introspection. ;)

What an excellent job of extrapolating erroneous conjecture. I enjoy cycling myself, but I'm not talking about amateur competitive cyclists. I'm talking about cyclists who commute, and it's more than just a few of them who act like they own both the road, and occasionally the sidewalk, while not paying for the privilege of doing so that drivers must.

tommy1808

Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:28 pm

T18 wrote:
There is no R in Dickinson so stop calling it Dickerson.

Around here we have a bunch of places where the correct pronunciation is different from how you have to pronounce a word with that places spelling.

I would assume the English speaking world has such as well, although I have no clue about Dickison.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

N14AZ

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:15 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
I replied: „Why? There is no danger, no traffic, nothing?!“ He: „yeah, true, but from time to time you have to use the horn“ :banghead:

How else will someone else know you have a car?

:rotfl:
He then added „yes, you have to use the horn as if you are chatting with someone... beep... beep-beep (imitating the sound of the horn)“.

FTMCPIUS

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:15 pm

People who crack their gum (well, actually, people who chew gum in public).

People who repeatedly press the elevator button thinking that will bring the car faster (same with pedestrian signals at intersections).

And those who drive slowly in the left lane who finally move to the right, only to move back to the left after you pass them.

Erebus

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:30 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
And those who drive slowly in the left lane...

In some parts of the world, that is perfectly good road etiquette! :old:

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:16 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:

I come home looking for a little sympathy and sitting on the couch is Bernie, chewing his gum. No, not chewing, POPPING!

ah, the ole "Cell Block Tango"....

FTMCPIUS wrote:
People who repeatedly press the elevator button thinking that will bring the car faster (same with pedestrian signals at intersections).

I have noticed this actually works sometimes with pedestrian crossings.

I don't understand why people will press the button when it is lit. You know someone has already pushed the button, why push it again?

FTMCPIUS wrote:
And those who drive slowly in the left lane who finally move to the right, only to move back to the left after you pass them.

Oregon passed a law where we can not flash our lights to pass. The thinking is that it is a distraction and could cause accidents and, also, Oregon police across the state think it is a signal from other drivers to let oncoming traffic know there is a speed trap ahead. Some drivers allegedly still flash their lights to warn oncoming drivers of speed traps. Some. Allegedly. ;)
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

FTMCPIUS

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Erebus wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
And those who drive slowly in the left lane...

In some parts of the world, that is perfectly good road etiquette! :old:

Oops, too late to insert passing in place of left. :white:

aeromoe

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:34 pm

N14AZ wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
aeromoe wrote:

Please define tooting.

According to Wikipedia, it is a district in South London, part of the London Borough of Wandsworth, and known for it's large Asian community.

I am pretty sure he meant:
to blare [honk, toot]
to honk [car horn]
to toot
to beep
to hoot [esp. Br.] [blow a car horn, toot]
to blow a horn
to blow the horn
to honk the horn
to sound one's horn
to hoot the car horn (automotive)

I don’t know but this was definitely an issue when I worked in Turkey. After a long day I asked the driver if I may drive the car, just to relax a little bit. He agreed but after half an hour he suddenly said : „N14AZ, you are a good driver. But you have to use the horn more often.“ I replied: „Why? There is no danger, no traffic, nothing?!“ He: „yeah, true, but from time to time you have to use the horn“ :banghead:

Thanks. Here in America 'tooting' is often a reference to passing gas. I often toot for no apparent reason...it just happens. :lol:
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

aeromoe

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
wiggy wrote:

Please define tooting.

Thanks! :D
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:49 pm

aeromoe wrote:
Here in America 'tooting' is often a reference to passing gas. I often toot for no apparent reason...it just happens. :lol:

You say "toot", I prefer "trump".

I'm perfectly serious - the Brits have used "trump" as slang for a fart, long before Donald arrived on the scene.

Coincidence? You decide. All I know is they both contain lots of hot gas, and make you want to :spit:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

ER757

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:13 am

luckyone wrote:
Redd wrote:
luckyone wrote:
I'm going to add that cyclists and the self righteousness drive me up the wall.
Self righteousness.... :rotfl: Let me give you a little hint at what I've learned in the past 11 years of amateur competitive cycling. The only self-righteous cyclists are newbies and they make up a very, very small percentage of cyclists. So in other words, you're looking for criticism to throw at cyclists. I've noticed that cyclists evoke those feelings in people with some personalities complex issues. Mostly fat/unfit people.

So if cyclists drive you up the wall, as you say, it's time for some introspection. ;)

What an excellent job of extrapolating erroneous conjecture. I enjoy cycling myself, but I'm not talking about amateur competitive cyclists. I'm talking about cyclists who commute, and it's more than just a few of them who act like they own both the road, and occasionally the sidewalk, while not paying for the privilege of doing so that drivers must.

:checkmark: Well said. I commute by bike if I can but am NOT one of the folks you describe above in any way - mainly because I don't want to be "that guy" - I stick to the bike trail except for the portion where I need to be on a side-walk or street - and on that portion I do all I can to yield to other users and wait my turn.
On the subject - there's a guy in the neighborhood that rides what I can only describe as a low-slung reverse tricycle. Two wheels in the front, one in the rear, pedals above the front wheels and you steer it, as far as I can tell, with two hand-held levers and he sits reclined - his head is no more than two feet off the ground and the idiot rides it on the road during rush hour. WTF?? For the life of me I cannot figure out the advantages of such a contraption and I think he does it just to be a pretentious prick.

luckyone

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:51 am

seb146 wrote:
At the same time, there are weather conditions where I do not feel safe driving the posted limit. If others want to drive 65MPH in a blinding blizzard or a flood, I have 911 on speed dial. I will drive my slow pace and good luck to you, sir or madam.

It's interesting to observe different people's perspective about driving in the snow. After a few Midwestern winters you very much get used to it. When I first moved to Chicago and started to drive, the first winter was quite mild. The second was THE Polar Vortex Winter when it started snowing in October and didn't let up until almost May, and the temperature routinely hit the negatives. Anyway, my point in saying all that is by the end of that winter, you thought nothing at all of driving 55+ in a snowstorm because you had been doing it for months, and after several years it just becomes a new skill, with the allowance being of course significantly increased distance between you and other cars and no sudden moves. Another oddity about driving in that area is rain can make people drive slower than a snowstorm.

FTMCPIUS

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:05 am

seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:

I come home looking for a little sympathy and sitting on the couch is Bernie, chewing his gum. No, not chewing, POPPING!

ah, the ole "Cell Block Tango"....

FTMCPIUS wrote:

I have noticed this actually works sometimes with pedestrian crossings.

I don't understand why people will press the button when it is lit. You know someone has already pushed the button, why push it again?

FTMCPIUS wrote:

Oregon passed a law where we can not flash our lights to pass. The thinking is that it is a distraction and could cause accidents and, also, Oregon police across the state think it is a signal from other drivers to let oncoming traffic know there is a speed trap ahead. Some drivers allegedly still flash their lights to warn oncoming drivers of speed traps. Some. Allegedly. ;)

At times I become so aggravated at those afflicted with left laneitus I fight fire with fire -- I pass them on the right, move to the left lane and slow to an even slower speed. Most get the message and move to the right lane but some simply don't get it. And the faster traffic goes by honking thinking I am the idiot. :banghead:

seb146
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:30 am

luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:
At the same time, there are weather conditions where I do not feel safe driving the posted limit. If others want to drive 65MPH in a blinding blizzard or a flood, I have 911 on speed dial. I will drive my slow pace and good luck to you, sir or madam.

It's interesting to observe different people's perspective about driving in the snow. After a few Midwestern winters you very much get used to it. When I first moved to Chicago and started to drive, the first winter was quite mild. The second was THE Polar Vortex Winter when it started snowing in October and didn't let up until almost May, and the temperature routinely hit the negatives. Anyway, my point in saying all that is by the end of that winter, you thought nothing at all of driving 55+ in a snowstorm because you had been doing it for months, and after several years it just becomes a new skill, with the allowance being of course significantly increased distance between you and other cars and no sudden moves. Another oddity about driving in that area is rain can make people drive slower than a snowstorm.

Things are different in the West, I guess. We have areas where there is snow for months but those are mountain communities so driving the speed limit is out of the question. When there is no canyon to roll off and explode in, I suppose going the limit is fine. Also, we have many areas where there is only snow for like a day or two then weeks of rain followed by a day or two of snow. Not to mention the people who move here from places that never experience snow.

The first rain after summer is always crazy. All that dirt and road grime and oil comes to the surface. It causes a lot of accidents and slippery driving.

afcjets

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:25 am

seb146 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
3. People who pass me on the freeway doing 70.01 mph while I'm going 70.

oh, no.... this is one thing I can not deal with. If you are going to pass, pass. If you want to go the same speed, fine. There are sections of I-5 between Eugene and Seattle that need a third lane but these idiots who demand on going .5MPH faster then get me trapped in the right lane is infuriating!

I don't think this has ever happened to me and nothing I could even imagine. The solution is easy. Drive faster. If you are one of the faster drivers on the freeway, the only people that will pass you will be really fast drivers and they will fly right by you.

seb146
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:59 am

afcjets wrote:
seb146 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
3. People who pass me on the freeway doing 70.01 mph while I'm going 70.

oh, no.... this is one thing I can not deal with. If you are going to pass, pass. If you want to go the same speed, fine. There are sections of I-5 between Eugene and Seattle that need a third lane but these idiots who demand on going .5MPH faster then get me trapped in the right lane is infuriating!

I don't think this has ever happened to me and nothing I could even imagine. The solution is easy. Drive faster. If you are one of the faster drivers on the freeway, the only people that will pass you will be really fast drivers and they will fly right by you.

It is impossible to "go faster" when the right lane is going 55 MPH and the left lane is going 55.1 MPH.....

Redd

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:20 pm

luckyone wrote:
, while not paying for the privilege of doing so that drivers must.

How is that?

afcjets

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:23 pm

seb146 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
don't think this has ever happened to me and nothing I could even imagine. The solution is easy. Drive faster. If you are one of the faster drivers on the freeway, the only people that will pass you will be really fast drivers and they will fly right by you.
It is impossible to "go faster" when the right lane is going 55 MPH and the left lane is going 55.1 MPH.....

I didn't realize you only had two lanes but I said drive faster, meaning as in general (where you drive in the left lane until someone wants to pass you) not go faster once you already find yourself in that situation. Where we are different is you seem content in the right lane going 55 because it's not like you couldn't easily get in the left lane if the guy coming up beside you is the only one going 55.1. However if the traffic in the left lane is only going 55.1, it's not his fault and you just hate traffic lol

mchei

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:54 pm

N14AZ wrote:
Interesting. I have a very similar issue and this is a unique opportunity to check whether I am wrong or not: we all use the phrase „please find attached“ when sending a file by e-mail. But one of my colleagues writes „Bitte finde beigefügt..“ wenn sending e-mails in German language. I am writing business letters, facsimile etc. since about 25 years but I never ever read such a phrase in German. It sounds awful to me. Is this a new fashion? Has anybody heard „bitte finde beigefügt”?/

I must say that I have a degree in linguistics (not in German studies, though) but as a native speaker of German and language scientist I pay attention to what I hear. I read this often together with „finde bitte anbei“.
What I find very awkward, while we are discussing German-English-Denglish phrases, is the usage of „erinnern“ as non-reflexive verb when, in fact, it should be reflexive.

* Ich erinnere, dass
I remember that

Remember is “sich erinnern” in German so there seems to be yet another fashion :)
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

seb146
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:14 pm

afcjets wrote:
seb146 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
don't think this has ever happened to me and nothing I could even imagine. The solution is easy. Drive faster. If you are one of the faster drivers on the freeway, the only people that will pass you will be really fast drivers and they will fly right by you.

I didn't realize you only had two lanes but I said drive faster, meaning as in general (where you drive in the left lane until someone wants to pass you) not go faster once you already find yourself in that situation. Where we are different is you seem content in the right lane going 55 because it's not like you couldn't easily get in the left lane if the guy coming up beside you is the only one going 55.1. However if the traffic in the left lane is only going 55.1, it's not his fault and you just hate traffic lol

I love traffic when the roads are built for it. Along I-5 through Oregon and I-90 though Washington state, there are many places where it is only two lanes in each direction. That is just fine in some places. There are other places where there needs a third lane built. Part of the reason for slower traffic in the passing lane is people out for a drive with no agenda. Another reason is trucks trying to pass. Even on flat and straight roadways, they still hold up traffic.

WesternDC6B

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:30 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
wiggy wrote:

Please define tooting.

Wasn’t cornetist Leon Bismark “Bix” Beiderbecke known among his friends as “Tooting Beck”?

Or, am I mistaking this for the name of a district in London? :duck:
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

Aesma

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:40 pm

People not using their headlamps when it rains.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Bongodog49

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:13 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
When people say "easy peasy" I want to headbutt them into unconscious. Also when people say "Let's do a time check" which I think is more a UK thing.

Don't blame us for "time check" its certainly not a UK phrase

As to my pet hates, here's a few

Drivers of Audis BMWs and Mercedes, in the UK they are all tossers of the grandest order. " I drive a prestige German car therefore I drive like a twat"
Having to select from a seemingly endless list of options when trying to phone an organisation and then being put on hold and having terrible music inflicted on me for half an hour
People who self guess at airport security, the staff will tell you how the rules work that day, its not always the same they dob't always want you to take your shoes off etc
Over use of poor quality cheese in restaurants
EU speed restrictors on trucks, resulting in one whose limiter appears to have a 0.1 mph advantage over another taking 5 miles to overtake
People who throw litter from their cars, particularly customers of McDonalds, KFC etc When I walk out of my house in the morning I do not want to see the remains of a KFC bargain bucket in front of me
Ditherers when boarding an aircraft, get on, stow your bag and sit down, its not difficult
People who talk very loudly at adjacent tables etc, invariably telling the World how important/rich they are

WesternDC6B

Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:13 am

Bongodog49 wrote:
Drivers of Audis BMWs and Mercedes, in the UK they are all tossers of the grandest order. " I drive a prestige German car therefore I drive like a twat"

That’s virtually everywhere. The worst offenders I’ve seen are quota-hires employed government agency make-work “jobs” traveling the streets of Washington DC.

Variation: the punk kid driving a VW Golf or Jetta, fitted out with a “[email protected]” exhaust and a spoiler that looks like it was built out of bits found in a dumpster behind a window blind factory. You will find them 4 inches (10cm) off your back bumper no matter what lane you are in, no matter the driving conditions.

WarRI1

Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:48 am

Things that are not vertical, or out of Plumb, or crooked, such as crooked corners, or out of level. Pictures tilted on the wall. Molding that does not fit [properly, cracks anywhere. It must be the builder in me.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Pi7472000

Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:57 am

When you walk down a side walk and a couple (99% of the time heterosexual) can't move into a single file line for seconds to let people on the other side pass. You end up getting shoved off the sidewalk so the couple does not have to give up holding hands for 2-5 seconds.

CaptHadley

Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:54 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
When you walk down a side walk and a couple (99% of the time heterosexual) can't move into a single file line for seconds to let people on the other side pass. You end up getting shoved off the sidewalk so the couple does not have to give up holding hands for 2-5 seconds.

I completely agree, those darn heterosexuals. I like it when i'm walking down the sidewalk and can easily pass a bunch of homosexuals because they walk behind each other, cause they like to be behind each other.

Aesma

Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:17 pm

There has been a study done about drivers of luxury cars : are they bad people before they buy the car or not ?

New Study Says Expensive Cars Are Bought by Jerks Who Won't Yield : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3113 ... ont-yield/
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Max Q

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:02 am

Starting every statement with ‘so’
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:12 am

So you know what else? Really irritates me? Like really badly? It is really irritating? When people? Like don't know how to merge? So how hard is it? To open a space? In traffic? Every other car? So everyone can get in? And not back up traffic? On the connecting freeway?

And also? Asking questions? At random points? In your conversation? So irritating?!?

DeltaMD90

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:03 am

seb146 wrote:
So you know what else? Really irritates me? Like really badly? It is really irritating? When people? Like don't know how to merge? So how hard is it? To open a space? In traffic? Every other car? So everyone can get in? And not back up traffic? On the connecting freeway?

And also? Asking questions? At random points? In your conversation? So irritating?!?

Reading your post with all those question marks sure irritated me lol

Kno

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:51 am

ChrisKen wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
Ooh, another one!

People going BELOW the speed limit on a road with a single lane of traffic going my direction, especially when I can't pass them.

I get frustrated when I'm stuck behind someone going the speed limit but I can't get mad at them for obeying the rules, but when they're under, I rage so hard

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe or wise. I can take off legally in pretty much zero vis, we'll be up the proverbial if we had to make an immediate return to the field though.
A speed limit defines a maximum, legally allowed speed; it doesn't mean you must drive at it.
I would suggest professional help for that rage, it's not healthy and quite frankly it's not much good for your driving either.

Professional help? I found this post really obnoxious. Let’s use common sense and give DeltaMD90 the benefit of the doubt - do you honestly think he’s annoyed on the road by people driving slow on narrow windy roads or in blizzards and other poor driving conditions? More likely he’s frustrated with those who drive under the limit on wide open roads with nothing ahead of them.

You’re right - people are welcome to go below the limit, people are also welcome to do all kinds of things in public that waste everyone else’s time. Frankly these drivers are usually not paying attention or they are overly timid on the road - I feel safer with a speedy driver who pays close attention to their surroundings any day. If a driver in front of you is holding up traffic by driving under the speed limit they should have some manners and pull over where it’s safe to let people pass.

Im going to add to the list of obnoxious things I see on the road - people who brake for absolutely no reason on freeways.

tommy1808

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 am

ChrisKen wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
Ooh, another one!

People going BELOW the speed limit on a road with a single lane of traffic going my direction, especially when I can't pass them.

I get frustrated when I'm stuck behind someone going the speed limit but I can't get mad at them for obeying the rules, but when they're under, I rage so hard

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe or wise. I can take off legally in pretty much zero vis, we'll be up the proverbial if we had to make an immediate return to the field though.
A speed limit defines a maximum, legally allowed speed; it doesn't mean you must drive at it.

"Driving slower than the speed limit w/o a valid reason (e.g. weather/road conditions) is harassment".

My driving instructor way back when.

Its a cheap violation, 20 EUR, but the speed limit is definitely not just an upper limit, and it would appear it is the same elsewhere: https://www.justia.com/traffic-tickets/ ... oo-slowly/

Reminds me of a talk from a psychology professor that complained about people using a lane to the very end before merging to "sneak" in front of the line.
She didn't know that is how you have yo do it by law...

Best regards
Thomas

Bongodog49

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:38 am

Kno wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
Ooh, another one!

I would suggest professional help for that rage, it's not healthy and quite frankly it's not much good for your driving either.

Professional help? I found this post really obnoxious. Let’s use common sense and give DeltaMD90 the benefit of the doubt - do you honestly think he’s annoyed on the road by people driving slow on narrow windy roads or in blizzards and other poor driving conditions? More likely he’s frustrated with those who drive under the limit on wide open roads with nothing ahead of them.

You’re right - people are welcome to go below the limit, people are also welcome to do all kinds of things in public that waste everyone else’s time. Frankly these drivers are usually not paying attention or they are overly timid on the road - I feel safer with a speedy driver who pays close attention to their surroundings any day. If a driver in front of you is holding up traffic by driving under the speed limit they should have some manners and pull over where it’s safe to let people pass.

Im going to add to the list of obnoxious things I see on the road - people who brake for absolutely no reason on freeways.

My driving instructor used to often ask "whats the speed limit here" If as an example I replied 40, she might reply why are you doing 30 then and add that driving significantly under the limit was the surest way of failing a driving test as it indicated either being overly timid or not paying attention to the speed signs. Ever since I've always driven to the limit whenever possible.

WesternDC6B

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:54 pm

seb146 wrote:

Not to mention? Sentence fragments? And statements with a vocal rise? Turning it into a question?

:duck:

N14AZ

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:35 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Reminds me of a talk from a psychology professor that complained about people using a lane to the very end before merging to "sneak" in front of the line.

I think I met your professor this weekend on the Autobahn (actually not, it was a man, of course). I applied the zip merge procedure but not in an aggressive way. But somehow I either had someone on the right lane who did not have enough ….. peep, censored, or maybe he is a nobody at home and has to play the strong man on the road or he simply didn’t know the “new” rule. Very annoying.

tommy1808

Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:54 pm

N14AZ wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

I think I met your professor this weekend on the Autobahn (actually not, it was a man, of course). I applied the zip merge procedure but not in an aggressive way. But somehow I either had someone on the right lane who did not have enough ….. peep, censored, or maybe he is a nobody at home and has to play the strong man on the road or he simply didn’t know the “new” rule. Very annoying.

You meet lots of those on highways. ....

I think often it is just panic "what if people don't let me in?"

Best regards
Thomas

N14AZ

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:06 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
I think often it is just panic "what if people don't let me in?"

I think often it is just panic "what?!? This bloke wants to be in front of me?“. But now we are going in circles because we already had this kind of behavior on page one: ;-)

N14AZ wrote:
Yes, that’s awful. I think this is a modern form of:

Source-just an example: https://gorillafund.org/when-gorillas-g ... an-happen/

CarbonFibre

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:24 pm

Max Q wrote:

Agreed. Same as using 'backstory' instead of 'history behind' Both unwelcome Americanisms that have spread.

I also hate idiots who use their phone to film stuff in portrait mode instead of landscape. We then have to work out what the little slit down the TV/PC screen is supposed to show.

LCDFlight

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:16 pm

In work settings, accountability without control. Also, YouTube vlog talk starting with "Hey guys, So...." and then doing a selfie lips purse face. This is unacceptable, but it seems like real life is being polluted by this too.

offloaded

Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:51 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Agreed. Same as using 'backstory' instead of 'history behind' Both unwelcome Americanisms that have spread.

I also hate idiots who use their phone to film stuff in portrait mode instead of landscape. We then have to work out what the little slit down the TV/PC screen is supposed to show.

British TV channels using the word "lawmaker" when referring to British MPs. Even the damn BBC has started using this word.

Also "reaching out." Please stop. The only "reaching out" I want to hear is when I'm singing along to Sweet Caroline.

Finally, restaurants that don't have payment terminal machines and take your credit card away.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

WesternDC6B

Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:03 pm

offloaded wrote:

Finally, restaurants that don't have payment terminal machines and take your credit card away.

Something that is infecting restaurants in the US is terminals on every table that blink, flash, and scroll
promos, games for kids, and other such things. The flashing and blinking and scrolling go on and on, and is noticeable in one’s peripheral vision because people at the other tables turn them toward the aisle to not be annoyed.

Worse, the wait-staff is “encouraged” by management to get you to pay on these things. They work MAYBE half the time.

The Canadians do it right. They bring a POST to the table to process the payment. No blinks, flashing, or scrolling.

seb146
Topic Author

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:17 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
offloaded wrote:

Something that is infecting restaurants in the US is terminals on every table that blink, flash, and scroll
promos, games for kids, and other such things. The flashing and blinking and scrolling go on and on, and is noticeable in one’s peripheral vision because people at the other tables turn them toward the aisle to not be annoyed.

Worse, the wait-staff is “encouraged” by management to get you to pay on these things. They work MAYBE half the time.

The Canadians do it right. They bring a POST to the table to process the payment. No blinks, flashing, or scrolling.

The only chain restaurants we have here are fast food. It is a "treat" for us to go to something like a Chili's or Red Robin or similar. I noticed the last time we went to Red Robin they got rid of those table payment stations.

We did go to the nicest restaurant on the South Coast for Valentine's and our waiter took the credit card into some other room and did the payment there.

Derico

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:19 am

Drones, be it nationalists, dogmatic partisans, hardcore vegans, Earthers, religious fanatics, racists, cultural isolationists. Those who deny proven facts, have closed their minds to an opposing possibility, and who cannot bring themselves to admit the "other side" may on occasion be actually right, because they have decided to place tribe above common sense, truth, and rational thought. Sadly, a large portion of the world today are drones. Living and healthy bodies but with moribund minds. Tiny because I decided a couple of years ago to not give them any further importance .I am so much happier since I did, and since I change those things about myself that approximated "drone" behavior!
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

FatCat

Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:28 am

Not perfectly simmetric air vents in the car drive me mad.
Also having a not perfectly clean car interior.
Long fingernails. I feel sick everytime I see people with long fingernails.
People talking at the phone in a common room.
Open doors.
Cars with their headlights on during daytime.
Not washing my hands for more than half an hour.
Men with sandals and / or flip-flops outside the beach.
Wearing a shirt without a tank-top or a t-shirt under it.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

readytotaxi

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:42 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
wiggy wrote:

Please define tooting.

Yes. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

readytotaxi

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:53 am

I guess for me it has to be children with BAD manners, I can find no excuse for it. In public I really struggle with wanting to going up behind them and giving them a clip round the ear. :hissyfit: They have been allowed to grow to this stage by lack of parental guidance, heck manners used to be taugh in schools. I dispair of our youth.

Rant over. :cry2:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.