Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SheikhDjibouti

Re: Tiny Things That Drive You Insane

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:22 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
I guess for me it has to be children with BAD manners,..
They have been allowed to grow to this stage by lack of parental guidance, heck manners used to be taugh in schools.
I dispair of our youth.

Rant over. :cry2:

I always thought it was spelling that was taugh in schools.

Oops, my bad - let me correct that.
[Edit] I always thought it was spelling that was tough in schools. :wave:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

LCDFlight

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:46 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
I guess for me it has to be children with BAD manners, I can find no excuse for it. In public I really struggle with wanting to going up behind them and giving them a clip round the ear. :hissyfit: They have been allowed to grow to this stage by lack of parental guidance, heck manners used to be taugh in schools. I dispair of our youth.

Rant over. :cry2:

Parents can have bad manners too. A hyperactive, 40 year old mom on a plane recently could not behave properly because she wanted her daughters to connect to wifi before the flight. The mom would not settle down. She barked at her daughters 2 rows away, past me, for probably 10 minutes, in 25 separate paragraphs, totalling probably 4,000 words about the damn wifi. The daughters were so tired of their mom's disruptive and insane behavior. So was I. She began to apologize to the FA for her daughters disruptive behavior. By some miracle I did not tell her off and tell her we are all sick of your nonstop, stupid voice talking about complete nonsense (at her daughters 2 rows away or something), which had gone on over 10 minutes, and your daughters have been perfect, and the problem is YOU.
Last edited by LCDFlight on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dik909

Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:47 pm

People who confuse literacy with intelligence.

Airdolomiti

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:00 pm

People who Capitalise words Randomly For No apparent Reason.

WesternDC6B

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:48 pm

dik909 wrote:
People who confuse literacy with intelligence.

Or, confuse intelligence with actually being smart. There IS a difference.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

Aesma

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:14 pm

offloaded wrote:
Finally, restaurants that don't have payment terminal machines and take your credit card away.

I think in France this is illegal, and understandably so, what's to prevent the waiter to copy everything needed to order stuff online with my card ?

I was in the US recently and had to give up my card like that once, it ended up not working, probably because of the chip and PIN.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Silver1SWA

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:30 pm

I easily get worked up so this should be fun. Here it goes...

When ordering fast food and I say I’ll have a medium number 2 with a Coke. “What size?” Medium. “Drink?” :banghead:

When ordering takeout and they say “How may I help you?” and immediately get distracted and miss everything I just said.

People who stop at the top or bottom of an escalator.

Being cut off when I’m already halfway out of a parking stall.

People who don’t use turn signals. Ah, so you weren’t a factor and I was waiting for nothing. Thanks for telling me.

Pedestrians in parking lots who take their sweet time crossing when I’m clearly waiting on them.

People who drag their feet when they walk.

When people say “impordeht” instead of important.

When drivers move from their right lane into my left lane to go the same speed they were doing in their original lane.

People trying to talk to me when I’m head deep in my phone and/or typing something.

“Like” being said every other word.

Saying direct flight when they mean nonstop.

I’m sure I’ll think of many more after I post this.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

asr0dzjq

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:23 am

"If it's free, you're the product"
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.

northstardc4m

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:45 am

A TV on behind me... Even muted... I don't know why but it makes my skin crawl.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Max Q

Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:11 am

Drivers that remain in the right hand lane approaching a light or stop sign that are not turning right thereby holding up all traffic that needs to

Am I the only one this bugs ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

FTMCPIUS

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:11 am

Max Q wrote:
Drivers that remain in the right hand lane approaching a light or stop sign that are not turning right thereby holding up all traffic that needs to

Great! Have them move to the left lane only to have them potentially become a different problem (see several previous posts on slow drivers in the left lane). :banghead:

seb146
Topic Author

Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:55 am

Max Q wrote:

This is a regional driving habit, I think. I learned to drive in Oregon. Driving on surface streets, we have this annoying and stupid habit of getting in the lane we want to turn off of many blocks ahead. Or, we get in the lane that is the thru lane and out of the merge lane several blocks ahead. I drove like this in Seattle and Spokane and Salt Lake City. In San Francisco, it is different. Everyone goes into whatever lane is shortest. This is what I do now, back in Oregon. Some people get it, some don't.

It now bugs me that drivers line up blocks ahead instead of evening up.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

FTMCPIUS

Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:42 am

seb146 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

This is a regional driving habit, I think. I learned to drive in Oregon. Driving on surface streets, we have this annoying and stupid habit of getting in the lane we want to turn off of many blocks ahead. Or, we get in the lane that is the thru lane and out of the merge lane several blocks ahead. I drove like this in Seattle and Spokane and Salt Lake City. In San Francisco, it is different. Everyone goes into whatever lane is shortest. This is what I do now, back in Oregon. Some people get it, some don't.

It now bugs me that drivers line up blocks ahead instead of evening up.

I've lived in four different states as an adult, and I believe each one had signs stating 'slower traffic keep right' for all the good that did. The Germans adhere to this concept and traffic moves along quite well. Those who want to drive faster do so in the fast lane, and those who wish to drive slower do so in the slower lane(s). If somebody is approaching, move to the right. It boils down to fundamental common sense.

Max Q

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:29 am

‘Writ large’

How did this stupid expression take hold ?

GGg

tommy1808

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 am

Max Q wrote:
‘Writ large’

since about 380 BCE when Plato wrote his "Republic".

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Max Q

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:47 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
‘Writ large’

since about 380 BCE when Plato wrote his "Republic".

best regards
Thomas

Well past time to put it to bed then

GGg

WesternDC6B

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:59 am

You are at a restaurant. You are conversing with your wife - husband - partner - POSSLQ - PSSSLQ - business associate. You are mid-sentence when this face looms into view. “Is everything alright, sir?”. Variation on that theme: you have a mouthful of food when asked the same question.

Small menu items called “medium”.

People who have especially raucous or nasty ring-tones who take their own very sweet time answering, so everyone around them knows they are getting An Important Call. That call is then conducted loudly.

Overly wordy or paedantic phrasing when more direct phrasing will do. In the year 2020, we hear “Lombard Airlines Flight 123 to Los Angeles is in the final boarding process.”. “Final boarding process”? 1955, “Last call for Western Airlines flight so and so to Cedar City and Salt Lake City. All aboard, please.”

(Come to think of it, spelling pedantic “paedantic” is, well, pedantic. Unless you are British.)

“Pre-“ when not needed. Pre-planning. I guess this means we are planning on planning? Pre-boarding”. You are either boarding or you aren’t. Pre-conditions: conditions set for conditions. GAH!

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:05 am

Something just came across my social media from WN about "Irregardless of who you are we our happy two serve and their are..." something. I forget. It was like fingernails on the blackboard and brilliant all at once.

FTMCPIUS

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:08 am

seb146 wrote:
Something just came across my social media from WN about "Irregardless of who you are we our happy two serve and their are..." something. I forget. It was like fingernails on the blackboard and brilliant all at once.

You're joking, right? Can anyone write/spell this poorly? If this is legit (from WN and not just about WN) can you cite a source? I have a distant relative who is in upper management with Southwest and she will cringe when she sees this. And whoever wrote it may not see many more paychecks.

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:59 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You're joking, right? Can anyone write/spell this poorly? If this is legit (from WN and not just about WN) can you cite a source? I have a distant relative who is in upper management with Southwest and she will cringe when she sees this. And whoever wrote it may not see many more paychecks.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthwestAir/p ... =3&theater

Silver1SWA

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:43 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

WN was joking. It was for national grammar day and the post began with “tag a stickler to ruin their day.”
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

WesternDC6B

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

WN was joking. It was for national grammar day and the post began with “tag a stickler to ruin their day.”

Like, everyone needs to, yah-know, talk neater. And stuff.

Tugger

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Cyclists that don't stop at stop signs or stop lights when there is normal traffic around. (I get that a bike often won't trigger a light so you have to effective run it, but stop first) I have friends that ride and they constantly do this. Happily I also ride with people that will stay with me (though they do question why I feel the need to stop).

Side note, I also think bikes should be required nowadays to have both a front and tail light for visibility reasons, just like what is required for a motorcycle.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

WesternDC6B

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:43 pm

Tugger wrote:
Cyclists that don't stop at stop signs or stop lights when there is normal traffic around. (I get that a bike often won't trigger a light so you have to effective run it, but stop first) I have friends that ride and they constantly do this. Happily I also ride with people that will stay with me (though they do question why I feel the need to stop).

Side note, I also think bikes should be required nowadays to have both a front and tail light for visibility reasons, just like what is required for a motorcycle.

Tugg

Many cyclists think that because they don’t have an engine, the rules don’t apply. Or, it’s like the Critical Mass types in San Francisco, who just DARE a motor vehicle to hit them. Some sense of righteousness.

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

And it was hilarious and relevant on so many levels.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

I ride quite a lot. My neighborhood is relatively dense, being in the city and near to the shore. Therein, I have no problem running Stop signs as there is almost never traffic outside of rush hour. I do consider it, however, a duty to observe for traffic and pedestrians and will alter accordingly. For lights, yes, we must stop as cars do.

I do not know where you are, but here in South Bay, you can get a citation for not having the lights and helmets as required. I do not know why someone would not want to anyway. . .
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

Max Q

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:33 am

Anyone making quotation marks with their fingers

GGg

AirKevin

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:33 am

Max Q wrote:

If I go in any other lane, once the light turns green, people are going to end up passing me on the right anyway.

As for things that drive me insane:

People who go flying past me, cut me off, and then slam the brakes thinking I'm going to be able to stop in time.
People who go flying past me in the acceleration lane just to merge in front of me when they're running out of pavement.
People who merge after I switch lanes to let them in, and then decide to do the same speed that I'm doing, so I have no hope of going back into the right lane.
People who merge after I switch lanes to let them in, and then decide to go flying past me, so everybody gets impatient and starts flying past me in the right lane.
People who decide that my turn signal is optional and stay in a position where I can't change lanes.
People who drive slow who then decide to speed up as soon as they see me passing them.
People who see me turning wide to make a turn and still proceed to get in my way, stopping me from completing said turn.
People who pull out in front of me thinking I'm going to be able to stop in time.
People who run me off the road because they're too busy texting and driving or watching a movie or something.
People who high-beam me thinking it's going to make me drive faster when I'm already in the middle of passing somebody.

I could go on, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Captain Kevin

Aesma

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:08 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Many cyclists think that because they don’t have an engine, the rules don’t apply. Or, it’s like the Critical Mass types in San Francisco, who just DARE a motor vehicle to hit them. Some sense of righteousness.

In some countries they have the right to run lights, but it must be specified (or be a citywide thing). And of course be made carefully.

In France a driving license is 12 points, lose them you lose your license (which isn't easy nor cheap to get), running a red light or a stop in a car is 4 points. If you do it on a bike and own a driving license, it's the same, you lose the points. I feel no cyclist knows this or they would do it less.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Kno

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:11 am

AirKevin wrote:
Max Q wrote:

If I go in any other lane, once the light turns green, people are going to end up passing me on the right anyway.

People who go flying past me, cut me off, and then slam the brakes thinking I'm going to be able to stop in time.
People who go flying past me in the acceleration lane just to merge in front of me when they're running out of pavement.
People who merge after I switch lanes to let them in, and then decide to do the same speed that I'm doing, so I have no hope of going back into the right lane.
People who merge after I switch lanes to let them in, and then decide to go flying past me, so everybody gets impatient and starts flying past me in the right lane.
People who decide that my turn signal is optional and stay in a position where I can't change lanes.
People who drive slow who then decide to speed up as soon as they see me passing them.
People who see me turning wide to make a turn and still proceed to get in my way, stopping me from completing said turn.
People who pull out in front of me thinking I'm going to be able to stop in time.
People who run me off the road because they're too busy texting and driving or watching a movie or something.
People who high-beam me thinking it's going to make me drive faster when I'm already in the middle of passing somebody.

:scratchchin:

It sounds like you may fit into the slower driver category.

AirKevin

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:04 am

Kno wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I try to go as close to the speed limit as I can, but when you drive an 80,000-pound tractor-trailer, you can only accelerate so fast. This is not a Porsche. Also, when you're governed at 65 miles an hour, kind of hard to go any faster short of going down a hill.
Captain Kevin

Tugger

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:28 am

For drivers, my favorite is the person who gets on the freeway, has a clear lane in front of them, then as I am coming up on them in the process of moving on by, pulls in front of me because they decide they like my lane better than the perfectly empty lane they were in.

I LOVE that!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

flipdewaf

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:23 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
I guess for me it has to be children with BAD manners, I can find no excuse for it.

I agree to a certain degree with this but it is entirely dependent on the manners. I like to categorise manners in two ways.
1.Good, good manners
2.Bad, good manners.

They differ in the way that Good, good manners are about respectful behavior towards others and Bad good manners are about dividing i.e. "I know behaviour X therefore I must hold a different status".

Whilst I would agree that its important to instill things in our children like saying please and thankyou and that apologizing for mistakes is good it is far more important that in time they learn why they are doing it and how and why these things affect other people.

I think often children bad manners come from the expectation of parents that they must follow with the 'Bad' good manners and seen to follow the social norms in public by rewarding the "Good" bad manners. I think if parents were more relaxed about carrying a toddler out of a store by their foot whilst they have a tantrum (I think most people get that toddlers just do this) and not give in to have a quite child in the store only to find a brat expecting something for nothing and then realizing that a tantrum gets what is wanted.

My tiny things that drive me crazy (other than my 3year old).
1. The Dishwasher
-If it needs to go in the dishwasher... put it in the dishwasher, not near the dishwasher!
-If the dishwasher is full, turn it on!
-If the dishwasher has finished, empty it!
-If the dishwasher is running and you have dirty items, then by all means place them on the worktop above the dishwasher.
-Do NOT under any circumstances leave anything, and I mean ANYTHING, in the sink. If it needs washing by hand WASH IT! The sink is a thing for doing it is not a storage area, running a top on the top plate and claim it needs soaking is not acceptable.

2. The Bin (trash, garbage)
-If it needs to go in the bin put it in the bin, not near the bin, not on top of the bin, IN the bin!
-If the bin is full, empty it!
-If it is recycling then put it in the correct recycling container outside the back door, not near the back door, not the last place you left it, not on the top of the dishwasher.

3. The bathroom
-Hair falls out, that's fine, but clear it away after!

4. If you need help, ask for help.

5. Being offended does not give someone special rights, that's part of life

6.Its no more disrespectful for me to tell someone that I think their god is made up nonsense than it is for them to come to my front door and claim my lack of faith is bad.

this is quite therapeutic.

Fred

Kno

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:47 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Kno wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

I try to go as close to the speed limit as I can, but when you drive an 80,000-pound tractor-trailer, you can only accelerate so fast. This is not a Porsche. Also, when you're governed at 65 miles an hour, kind of hard to go any faster short of going down a hill.

That really puts things into a whole new perspective for me. I haven’t driven an 18 wheeler before but I have driven plenty of 26 ft box trucks and HD pick ups towing 30 ft enclosed trailers and people really don’t have much respect for trucks or know how to drive safely around them. The worst for me is always someone zipping ahead of you just to hit the breaks - if I hit you with the truck your bumper is getting pushed into the drivers seat, and the truck might have a small scratch that can buff out at worst.

AirKevin

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Kno wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
Kno wrote:

That really puts things into a whole new perspective for me. I haven’t driven an 18 wheeler before but I have driven plenty of 26 ft box trucks and HD pick ups towing 30 ft enclosed trailers and people really don’t have much respect for trucks or know how to drive safely around them. The worst for me is always someone zipping ahead of you just to hit the breaks - if I hit you with the truck your bumper is getting pushed into the drivers seat, and the truck might have a small scratch that can buff out at worst.

Trust me, if you saw all the dash cam videos I have of the stupidity I have to deal with on a daily basis, the results would....shock you. If I had a dollar for every time somebody did something stupid around my truck, I would have enough money to buy a brand new Jeep Wrangler or two.
Captain Kevin

Max Q

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:26 am

People (mostly millennials it seems) that refuse to pronounce the letter ‘T’

What on earth is this about ?

GGg

flipdewaf

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:42 am

Max Q wrote:

Is it the replacement of the 'T' by a 'D' sound? For us Brits that often sounds generically American, I hate the dreaded glottal stop in dropping the T.

My Bosses boss spends a lot of time conversing with colleagues in north America and Canada in particular and has started to say Toronno (Toronto). As a result we now tell him we are going to 'Oronto to highlight the Missing 'T'.

Fred

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 am

When the character everyone likes from a series is clearly a poorly-written/acted douche. Looking at you, literally every character Aaron Paul has ever played. . .

When people complain about expressions that 'do not make sense'; without bothering to spend ten seconds on Google about it. . .

When people say 'who's so and so?' referencing some obviously public figure. Usually, it took longer to type that out than to look it up. Aloof is not longer 'cool' in the age of Google. . .

When people say 'Flaunting the Law'. Flout is the word you were looking for. . .

Purity contests, be it politics or taste. You do not have an orchestra with only brilliant Triangle Players. . .

When whack-jobs claim to be moderates. At anything. . .

When people will used multiple tenses making one sentence. . .

When people claim some tiny non-factor is why an otherwise really bad idea is not being pursued. Looking at you, mythical 757 Tooling issue. . .

When people try to hide shitty behavior behind autism. Or high-functional psychopathy. Or whatever. . .

Dearly held beliefs formed from events we do not even remember correctly. . .

Uncrowded trains in a city where everyone complains about traffic. . .

The Self-Publishing craze. . .

When people interrupt what is obviously an involved conversation to interject with some inane point or worthless question. . .

Swans. . .

When people let their dogs bark at strangers. . .

Coexist stickers. . .

Commercials that use the word Love. In literally any way. . .

The bizarre way that pretending to like/tolerate Country Music is now a mandatory part of hooking up or dating. . .

Excessively hyphenated first and middle names. You get to pick, but I am only calling you one thing. . .

Non-Hispanic people with hyphenated family names. . .

Max Q wrote:

FWIW, what are the odds you have met someone who says 'Butter' as it is spelled?
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

VapourTrails

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am

Aesma wrote:
People not using their headlamps when it rains.

Same at dawn and dusk, especially when they’re driving a black car. This seems to be happening more frequently nowadays - very concerning.

People who slurp their drinks very loudly. Gulping of the same.

I really hate littering. People just don’t care anymore and I assume there are also not the resources to enforce it like years ago.

Partially dead trees with hanging branches or trees that look like they’re about to fall down.

Writing messages in dust.

andz

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:31 pm

casinterest wrote:
People driving slow on the interstates and not getting to the right hand side.

There it is right there, and in numerous other posts in this thread. I hear it on the radio every day and it makes me spitting mad!

The correct word is slowly.

Apostrophe abuse, especially on billboards, in printed advertisements and signwriting is right up there as well.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

casinterest

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:39 pm

andz wrote:
casinterest wrote:
People driving slow on the interstates and not getting to the right hand side.

There it is right there, and in numerous other posts in this thread. I hear it on the radio every day and it makes me spitting mad!

The correct word is slowly.

Apostrophe abuse, especially on billboards, in printed advertisements and signwriting is right up there as well.

Grammar Nazis drive me insane, Especially when they are incorrect.

Slow is an adverb, just like slowly. Slow can also be an adjective.

Driving slow is the same as driving slowly.

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/Sl ... at-Adverbs
Where ever you go, there you are.

WesternDC6B

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:07 pm

The phrase “back in the day”.

BN747

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Prius drivers chugging along 'in the FAST lane'...not really going so fast.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

andz

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:20 pm

casinterest wrote:

From your own link:

English teachers will tell you to use slow as an adjective and add -ly when making it an adverb, but in casual speech, informal writing (such as text messages or e-mails to a friend), and even some formal writing slow is often used as an adverb.

Casual speech such as texting is not proper speech and is no excuse for dragging the language down.

I was raised in the UK where English is formed correctly, not bastardised, and slowly is the correct form. Grammar Nazi? For sure I am, but only where the language is being mangled by foreigners.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

casinterest

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:49 pm

andz wrote:
casinterest wrote:

From your own link:

English teachers will tell you to use slow as an adjective and add -ly when making it an adverb, but in casual speech, informal writing (such as text messages or e-mails to a friend), and even some formal writing slow is often used as an adverb.

Casual speech such as texting is not proper speech and is no excuse for dragging the language down.

I was raised in the UK where English is formed correctly, not bastardised, and slowly is the correct form. Grammar Nazi? For sure I am, but only where the language is being mangled by foreigners.

Casual speech is proper speech on the internet, and slow is an adverb when it comes after a verb.

Do you drive fast or fastly in the UK ?
Where ever you go, there you are.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:26 pm

The crappy music played over people speaking in radio and TV ads and weather / traffic reports. I just want to hear the weather / traffic reports in the car without the damn music.

A musical lead in and lead out is fine. Even jingle's within an ad are fine. But I detest music being played while people are talking, so it's lots of muting and channel changing.

I don't have recordings of TV and radio shows (with ads) from the 60's & 70's, but I don't think it always used to be this way.

Either way, I hate the practice.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

seb146
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:55 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The crappy music played over people speaking in radio and TV ads and weather / traffic reports. I just want to hear the weather / traffic reports in the car without the damn music.

A musical lead in and lead out is fine. Even jingle's within an ad are fine. But I detest music being played while people are talking, so it's lots of muting and channel changing.

I don't have recordings of TV and radio shows (with ads) from the 60's & 70's, but I don't think it always used to be this way.

Either way, I hate the practice.

When I was studying broadcasting too many years ago, we did this. I think it was because it kept the listener's attention. It makes for a more enjoyable listening experience. Just a person droning on about the weather or traffic or whatever is. I guess it could be annoying but I think it works.

AtomicGarden

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:11 am

People who are closer to the door and yet insist on letting you in/out first. Or those waiting for the bus ahead of you and let you in first. I know it's plain courtesy and I don't hate them, but stop trying to be the better person when it's your right to go first, and it's even more practical! I have a lot of friends who do this so I just go first everytime.

Also, bikers and cyclists who don't weat helmet/drivers and passengers without seat belts, and then get killed. They don't get much of my sympathy.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

VapourTrails

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:40 am

The double standard - do as I say not as I do. :expressionless:

When someone puts up a YouTube video like an old comedy or movie that is very rare to source elsewhere - and then it gets taken down. I would rather not have known it was available on YouTube, then I would be spared the disappointment when it was taken off me so to speak. Even worse is when it is really high quality in audio and picture! I haven't tried the download function for this but assume that they can still be removed from there.. :mischievous:

When I get bombarded with emails and SMS from any business I've ever had an association with, about covid-19 and how they are dealing with the matter. I like being informed, but en masse - it feels like spam. I much prefer the pop up banners, when I visit their site for example.

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Influencers. People who are not famous but demand they be treated like stars because they have a social media feed. Posting pictures and videos is fine. I may never get the chance to go to some of these places or stay in a suite at MGM Grand on The Strip. And then there are the people who think they are something posting these stupid "challenges" and people end up in the ER because "this person did it on social media".