Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ER757

Re: Tiny Things That Drive You Insane

Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 pm

a couple of posts have mentioned people driving in the dark or bad weather without headlights. I've noticed that this is happening a lot more frequently in the past few years and I have a theory as to why. Used to be your dashboard lights only came on when your outside lights were turned on. Now all the modern autos are so electrified with digital everything and display screens that the instrument panels are alway lit so people don't get that cue to turn on their lights like they used to.

WesternDC6B

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:04 am

ER757 wrote:
a couple of posts have mentioned people driving in the dark or bad weather without headlights. I've noticed that this is happening a lot more frequently in the past few years and I have a theory as to why. Used to be your dashboard lights only came on when your outside lights were turned on. Now all the modern autos are so electrified with digital everything and display screens that the instrument panels are alway lit so people don't get that cue to turn on their lights like they used to.

That’s very true. I’ve been caught by thst myself. I have both cars (a 2019 minivan and an older model convertible) set up to turn the lights on when I have the wipers going. This is for both safety and to comply with state law.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

seb146
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:05 am

ER757 wrote:

I hate driving the brosband's truck because of this. The headlights have two settings but the dash lights are always on. So, at night, I have to look at the radio to know if the headlights are on. The radio goes dim when the headlights are on.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ER757

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:35 pm

seb146 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

I hate driving the brosband's truck because of this. The headlights have two settings but the dash lights are always on. So, at night, I have to look at the radio to know if the headlights are on. The radio goes dim when the headlights are on.

You'd think with all the techno-wizardry in today's cars, there'd be a photo-sensor that can't be over-ridden so the headlights would come on automatically. Lots of cars, mine included, have an "auto" setting on the stalk for the lights but you have to set it there - it should just be built in

Tugger

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:09 pm

I hate, HATE, a bright dash. I want my dash turned down nice and low. Quiet, peaceful. Just the absolute most information is all I want. And annoyingly today's car almost always have a bright screen glaring at you. It is ridiculous seeing so many drivers lit up like they are filming a movie scene inside.

A primary requirement for me for any new car is being able to turn down (really dim) and if possible turn off the screen. Sales people are mostly confused by the idea of that. There is definitely a decreasing pool of cars out there that are acceptable to me.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

FTMCPIUS

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:09 am

Tugger wrote:
I hate, HATE, a bright dash. I want my dash turned down nice and low. Quiet, peaceful. Just the absolute most information is all I want. And annoyingly today's car almost always have a bright screen glaring at you. It is ridiculous seeing so many drivers lit up like they are filming a movie scene inside.

A primary requirement for me for any new car is being able to turn down (really dim) and if possible turn off the screen. Sales people are mostly confused by the idea of that. There is definitely a decreasing pool of cars out there that are acceptable to me.

Tugg

Many people think brighter is safer (the 'more is better syndrome'). It doesn't make much difference for daytime driving, but when it's dark those lights should be dimmed as one's night vision is then vastly improved. I cringe when I see bright dash lights at night. I tried explaining this to a few people in a the past and the blank stare you get tells you a lot about them.

An767

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:50 am

People who cannot read signs.
I run a mining camp,as a result I have signage up around all common areas , entry to the mess hall.
Plainly listing health & hygiene standards required for entry.
Yet they look straight past it as they enter, and wonder why I rip them a new A hole when i challenge them for adhering to requirements .

I think i will open a boarding kennel for dogs it would be a lot easier.

An767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

VapourTrails

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 am

Daylight saving. It starts too late, and ends way too late. We’re currently first weekend in October and first weekend in April in some states in Australia. The end part has been messed about with. Used to be early March, then late March, now its April. This clock interference has been a bone of contention in many countries - for years. For commuters to work, getting up in the dark when it still feels like the middle of the night for weeks on end now, only to have the blinding sun over the horizon on the roads during peak hour, albeit less of the peak now with covid-19. It should start a week or two earlier and end the first weekend in March. It’s just wrong! :mischievous:

Erebus

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:12 am

I got something that can only be described as a punishment in hell. Driving on a busy stretch of the highway when you get a random itch in your right foot that doesn't seem to go away. :biting:

scbriml

Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:30 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
“Pre-“ when not needed. Pre-planning. I guess this means we are planning on planning? Pre-boarding”. You are either boarding or you aren’t. Pre-conditions: conditions set for conditions. GAH!

My wife always refers to supermarket bags of washed salad as "pre-prepared salad". I can't stop myself telling her that "pre-prepared salad" is lettuce in the ground.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:00 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Many people think brighter is safer (the 'more is better syndrome'). It doesn't make much difference for daytime driving, but when it's dark those lights should be dimmed as one's night vision is then vastly improved. I cringe when I see bright dash lights at night. I tried explaining this to a few people in a the past and the blank stare you get tells you a lot about them.

I have a satellite radio display in my car. It is bright blue. I turn it off when we are driving long distances at night, which happens too often during the winter around here. It's not like we can listen to anything on it anyway going through the forests and canyons.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

YVRLTN

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:54 pm

If you order online for home delivery:

Make sure you have a house number clearly visible
I know you rarely use your front door and path, but make sure the access up to it is clear and safe - overgrown and prickly bushes, broken, loose and steep steps are too common - particularly think how the driver is going to get to your door when you order that 150 lbs treadmill (yes, I know that's why you ordered it online because you didn't want to carry it up yourself...)
If you don't have a big enough mail box or porch, make sure there is a place where your package can be left where it won't get wet
If you live in an apartment, don't bother ordering at all if you are not there and the driver can't get into the building, then the elevator
Keep your dogs under control, yes 90% are pleased to see you, but one is not to know which one may be in the 10%

Some more general ones
Loading bays are for loading, do not park in them otherwise (here you need a commercial decal)
Mention again - turn on your lights, even my old vehicles have auto settings, find it and leave it there
Cyclists and pedestrians, if I cant see you in my side mirrors, I can't see you - do not walk behind me or try to pass when I am reversing
If I am carrying heavy parcels, please do not rush to the elevator to get there first and leave me standing there
I leave braking distance for a reason, do not dart into that space. I secure my load as best as possible, but it could be your fragile stuff I am carrying which shifts in it's packing (which I didn't pack....) due to emergency braking
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

flipdewaf

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:06 am

casinterest wrote:
Do you drive fast or fastly in the UK ?
Depends on how tardy the rozzers are! ;)

WesternDC6B

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Do you drive fast or fastly in the UK ?
Depends on how tardy the rozzers are! ;)

And, if caught, it’s crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsie in snide!
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.