Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Useless thread: Banks that issue both Visa and MC

Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:53 am

I have just been approved for a Bank of America Cash Rewards Mastercard.

You may PM me your effusive congratulations.

For quite a few years now, I've had a Bank of America Visa yes VISA card, see; and since I'm always curious about ways to enhance my credit profile I spend a bit of time checking out other banks CC offers.

Among the banks that do actual credit card underwriting (instead of those who have Citi or Elan or FNBO do the underwriting for their branded cards) I notice Citi's personal offerings are all MC (they issue business yes BUSINESS Visas), so are Key Bank's, Fifth Third Bsnk's, and BMO Harris's's's.

PNC and Chase only offer Visas. US Bank offers Visas and an AmEx.

Bank of America will be talked about by banking and finance professors, for generations to come, for being the first and to date only bank that has issued Airstud both yes BOTH a Visa AND a Mastercard.

(You heard me.)
Pancakes are delicious.

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Useless thread: Banks that issue both Visa and MC

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:25 am

Here in Malaysia most banks offer both Visa & Mastercard. In fact, the biggest bank here (Maybank) offers Visa, Master & Amex (on an exclusive basis)

I've mostly Visa cards, though I do have both Visa & Mastercard issued by HSBC, and Visa & Amex issued by Maybank.

I just realized I have too many credit cards...
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Erebus

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:12 pm

In Canada, the 5 major banks (in no particular order) offer...

Scotiabank - VISA, MC, Amex
RBC - VISA, MC
CIBC - VISA, MC
BMO - MC
TD - VISA

bgm

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:31 pm

I like to have Amex/Visa/MC because there are some places where one will not work but the other(s) will. This may not apply in the good old US of A, but internationally this can very much be the case.
If you hate wearing a mask, you’re really going to hate using a ventilator.

Aeroflot777

Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:33 pm

All my Russian banks offer me either a Visa or MC when opening an account, the choice is up to me. Not sure what the reason is, and I couldn't care any less since they are widely accepted.

casinterest

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:04 pm

Bank Of America offered me a nice 0 % 20 month card with no fees for balance transfers. That was how I wound up with a Mastercard. Then I canceled it when I payed off the balance in 20 months. I used to have a Bank of America Visa debit card, but then I dropped them as a bank.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Tugger

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:27 pm

I carry two personal cards, one AmEx, one Visa, each chosen for superior rewards in certain categories. I also have one company card, a Mastercard.

I also have an ATM card (you heard me) as I will never carry a "branded" debit card.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

anrec80

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Now we switched this thread from issuing banks to who carries what card. Well, I carry 2 Amexes (for different rewards) and a Chase VISA - for food out and in case Amex isn’t accepted.

seb146

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:59 pm

The brosband had a tent at a farmer's market for a couple of years. He didn't make a dime, in fact, he lost money. But, we did meet some great people. He used Square to process credit card payments. The fee charged to him by both Visa and MasterCard were the same for each transaction. Discover was a tiny bit higher but AmEx was much higher. He wanted to cast the widest net possible, so he accepted all four cards.

So, in the States, if you ever wonder why some small businesses do not accept AmEx, it is the fee for the merchant. I have one AmEx and I hate it. Doing my budget, I have found I can finally get rid of it this month! YAY!!! I never got to use any of the "perks" that come with it, either. But, then, I never found what any of those "perks" are anyway.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

chimborazo

Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:41 pm

I had an HSBC visa debit and MC credit... credit card expired a couple of years ago... they sent me a new CC and lo and behold I now have a visa CC. No idea why that happened. I travel around the world a lot and noticed in the past that some people don't take MC. Not had the issue yet with visa. Have a BA Amex to top up the avios and get the companion voucher for spending over 20k pounds p.a. which is handy (2 business returns LHR > BKK for 1100 quid all in was pretty reasonable I think).

Not sure if HSBC still do MC but I just got what I was given.

1337Delta764

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:08 pm

Wells Fargo issues both Visa and Amex, but not MC.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:16 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
Wells Fargo issues both Visa and Amex

...whether you asked them or not.
Pancakes are delicious.

1337Delta764

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:25 am

Airstud wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
Wells Fargo issues both Visa and Amex

...whether you asked them or not.

Oh, I presume you mean offering cards in two different flavors. The Propel is the only Amex that I know Wells Fargo offers. The rest of their cards are Visa.

SCQ83

Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:25 pm

AMEX is a very American thing. In Europe and pretty much everywhere else it is useless.

I work for an US company (in Europe) that tried to impose AMEX as global corporate business card. After a while they had to retreat and come back to VISA as business card for Europe (including the UK).

Zkpilot

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:06 pm

Most banks in New Zealand offer both Visa and MC.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

vhqpa

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:51 pm

From what I understand in Australia the banks will offer one or the other for personal accounts and credit cards.

From what I gather with the Big 4 banks it's

Commonwealth: Mastercard (although they offer a Visa travel card, and Visa with business accounts)
Westpac: Mastercard
ANZ: Visa
NAB: Visa
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

Airstud
Topic Author

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:37 am

You guys were all probably way worried when I barrelled out of my building to catch my cab to the airport for my flight to Boston this morning and then realized, halfway down Highway 100, that both my BofA Cash Rewards MasterCard and Sunoco credit cards (a New England must) were unaccounted for.

It turns out they were both in one of the flaps of the bag that I checked, so you were all worried up about nothing.

(Nice going. )
Pancakes are delicious.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:16 am

If you check Bank of America's website, you wil notice that the Cash Rewards card is now issued as a Visa, and the workhorse "Bank of America Credit Card" (which has been one of the Visa cards I carry for about seven years now) is now issued as a MasterCard.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind those moves.

(And whether it will be reflected when my current cards expire and I get sent the replacements. :boggled: )
Pancakes are delicious.