Dutchy

Re: What’s the last big purchase you made?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:14 am

stl07 wrote:
[quote="Pi7472000] Better to stop big purchases now and keep money in the bank![/quote]

Which is how you prolong a recession :stirthepot:[/quote]

Different levels, different solutions. For the individual, it makes sense to save money right now.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

olle

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:48 am

cpd wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Nice! I’ve always wanted a BMW. I think they’re designed beautifully. I don’t know much about the engine or any of the specs. Just love the way they look.

Of course they are they are German! They are made good too, like a tank!

I’m not so sure they’ve always been that well built. The current ones are better, our Police use the 530d which seems pretty good in everyday use and the engine (265hp diesel) is very good.

I also need to find a new laptop computer that is small and powerful. I’m running all my cycling training studio stuff from a little Lenovo Yoga and frankly it struggles when connected to the big wall display. It works, but no videos can run in the background if I set 4K resolution. But it is great for when I travel because it doesn’t weigh much...

I bought a BMW 520d touring in 2009. Fantastic car. Uses close no diesel. Constently around 17 kilometers per liter, and fantastic built. Only service so far.

olle

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:52 am

We have done 2 major purchases the last years. We bought one appartment in the alicante area and we built a swimming pool to our house in Stockholm area with roof.

We used money we earned by selling an appartment in santiago chile. We sold in the last moment before hell broke loose there.

Revelation

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:22 pm

marcelh wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Last big "purchase" was writing a check for $3000 to bail out a relative who was going through hard times. I wanted to buy him, his partner and two kids a bit of breathing space before the electric was turned off. Now I hear he has two jobs and the partner is taking on babysitting to bring in more income so I hope he's turned the corner.

Wel done sir

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I wish I didn't struggle internally about the cost and about setting a bad precedent but every time I took a step back I knew what the right thing to do was. I'm very glad things are taking a turn for the better.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:36 pm

olle wrote:
I bought a BMW 520d touring in 2009. Fantastic car. Uses close no diesel. Constently around 17 kilometers per liter, and fantastic built. Only service so far.

For my E90 2005 model the tipping point on maintenance was around 180k miles / 290k km. Up to that point only very minor things like the factory battery was always borderline (third party batteries have more power and last longer) so I replaced it. After that point it's been a string of replacing starter, oil pump, transmission rebuild, etc. In 20/20 hindsight I probably would have been better to get out of it then, but my thought process was that I enjoyed the car so much and didn't like the alternatives so I stuck with it. Now am going past 240k miles / 390k km and still very happy with the car. It still looks great, it still drives great, and replacing it will be very expensive.

Dano1977

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:57 pm

My last major big purchase was my new house and a remodel downstairs for my disabled daughter, which includes a shower wetroom, a carers space, bedroom and ceiling track hoist.

Total outlay was $600000

But it was worth it.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

olle

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:06 am

Revelation wrote:
olle wrote:

For my E90 2005 model the tipping point on maintenance was around 180k miles / 290k km. Up to that point only very minor things like the factory battery was always borderline (third party batteries have more power and last longer) so I replaced it. After that point it's been a string of replacing starter, oil pump, transmission rebuild, etc. In 20/20 hindsight I probably would have been better to get out of it then, but my thought process was that I enjoyed the car so much and didn't like the alternatives so I stuck with it. Now am going past 240k miles / 390k km and still very happy with the car. It still looks great, it still drives great, and replacing it will be very expensive.

During the last 15 years I constantly got 2 cars. 1 german quality (mercedes or bmw) and 1 Chrysler minivan.

The chrysler because my wife is from chatolic chile and when they visit us we ask them what they want to see; and of course we get the list: paris, french riviera, pisa, vatican - the pope!, venice, wien, praha, berlin etc. so we have been using to throw them in and I drive.

The chryslers has been a mess. The first one used a lot of gas, and the second had a diesel from daimler. Both broke the automatic key exchange. I now promise myself, never more USA cars!

The mercedes we bought in 2005 when we moved back to sweden was fantastic. Only service until close 40000 kilometers when I replaced it with the BMW. 3 years ago when the last chrysler died with only 130000 kilometers, I got another mercedes instead.

If I ever consider to buy another USA car, I have instructed my family to declare me unfit to take my own decisions.

Kiwirob

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:32 pm

marcelh wrote:
An almost new Mini Countryman Cooper SE All4 Hybrid. Just a BMW 2 series, but with the better looks

The MINI came first.

18 months ago we spent 780,000 NOK on a new car, just before Christmas we booked flights to Singapore and Australia, 52,000 NOK, and hotels not yet paid for. My wife is keen on going down under any more, the tickets aren’t refundable so it either use them or lose them.

Revelation

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:13 pm

olle wrote:
Revelation wrote:
olle wrote:

During the last 15 years I constantly got 2 cars. 1 german quality (mercedes or bmw) and 1 Chrysler minivan.

The chrysler because my wife is from chatolic chile and when they visit us we ask them what they want to see; and of course we get the list: paris, french riviera, pisa, vatican - the pope!, venice, wien, praha, berlin etc. so we have been using to throw them in and I drive.

The chryslers has been a mess. The first one used a lot of gas, and the second had a diesel from daimler. Both broke the automatic key exchange. I now promise myself, never more USA cars!

The mercedes we bought in 2005 when we moved back to sweden was fantastic. Only service until close 40000 kilometers when I replaced it with the BMW. 3 years ago when the last chrysler died with only 130000 kilometers, I got another mercedes instead.

If I ever consider to buy another USA car, I have instructed my family to declare me unfit to take my own decisions.

I certainly agree Chrysler is to be avoided, but am considering a Tesla going forward.

Good job on showing the family around. When I was a kid in the 1970s we had the minvan of its day, the Ford Country Squire station wagon, complete with HUGE 400 cubic inch V8 engine. Whomever designed it didn't give a toss about fuel economy. I don't know the numbers now, but it wasn't uncommon to see 8 to 12 miles to a gallon.

Yet this car served the same purpose, showing the non-US family members all around the US. Since we were starting in the Northeast, we couldn't get too far in the two weeks or so vacation that Dad could get but we went to NYC (Statue of Liberty, Circle Line boat tour, Empire State building, World Trade Center Mk1), Washington, DC (Capitol, White House, Smithsonian), Baltimore (Dad's best friend lived there and had a boat on Chesapeake Bay, love their train museum!), Niagara Falls, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Cape Cod, Etc.

As you might tell, some of my best memories of family life were from those trips, so hope you keep it up, you are building some great experiences for yourself and your family members!

kellyon

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:40 pm

I love gardening and woodworking. I just bought cool dowel jig, I read about it on protoolsadviser and couldn't resist to buy one for home works. Want to test it this weekend. I like working with my own hands

DL717

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Just received the frameset last week. Building it up right now. Wheels too. Something to do at least.

https://www.milwaukeebicycleco.com/milw ... 34/product

Steel is real.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

MIAspotter

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:35 pm

2018 Seat Ibiza Style Plus, last October.

The local council imposed strict rules on ¨high emission vehicles¨ and created a no go zone around Barcelona, any car registered before 2000 can´t be on the roads MO-FR from 7am to 8pm, so sadly my beloved Peugeot 206 from 99 and only 50000km and running absolutely fine, had to go (sold to a friend that lives outside the no go zone)

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

prebennorholm

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:21 am

Invested in membership of an organization which was earlier named "Support of Lonesome Old People" - now they have a more modern name which is hard to translate. $15 for the whole year. Service and support menu is limitless.

Immediately after receiving the membership card I got a message telling that due to the Corona Crisis all activities had been cancelled.

I have, however, decided not to claim back my $15.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs