Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Dutchy

Re: What’s the last big purchase you made?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:14 am

stl07 wrote:
[quote="Pi7472000] Better to stop big purchases now and keep money in the bank![/quote]

Which is how you prolong a recession :stirthepot:[/quote]

Different levels, different solutions. For the individual, it makes sense to save money right now.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

olle

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:48 am

cpd wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Nice! I’ve always wanted a BMW. I think they’re designed beautifully. I don’t know much about the engine or any of the specs. Just love the way they look.

Of course they are they are German! They are made good too, like a tank!

I’m not so sure they’ve always been that well built. The current ones are better, our Police use the 530d which seems pretty good in everyday use and the engine (265hp diesel) is very good.

I also need to find a new laptop computer that is small and powerful. I’m running all my cycling training studio stuff from a little Lenovo Yoga and frankly it struggles when connected to the big wall display. It works, but no videos can run in the background if I set 4K resolution. But it is great for when I travel because it doesn’t weigh much...

I bought a BMW 520d touring in 2009. Fantastic car. Uses close no diesel. Constently around 17 kilometers per liter, and fantastic built. Only service so far.

olle

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:52 am

We have done 2 major purchases the last years. We bought one appartment in the alicante area and we built a swimming pool to our house in Stockholm area with roof.

We used money we earned by selling an appartment in santiago chile. We sold in the last moment before hell broke loose there.

Revelation

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:22 pm

marcelh wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Last big "purchase" was writing a check for $3000 to bail out a relative who was going through hard times. I wanted to buy him, his partner and two kids a bit of breathing space before the electric was turned off. Now I hear he has two jobs and the partner is taking on babysitting to bring in more income so I hope he's turned the corner.

Wel done sir

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I wish I didn't struggle internally about the cost and about setting a bad precedent but every time I took a step back I knew what the right thing to do was. I'm very glad things are taking a turn for the better.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:36 pm

olle wrote:
I bought a BMW 520d touring in 2009. Fantastic car. Uses close no diesel. Constently around 17 kilometers per liter, and fantastic built. Only service so far.

For my E90 2005 model the tipping point on maintenance was around 180k miles / 290k km. Up to that point only very minor things like the factory battery was always borderline (third party batteries have more power and last longer) so I replaced it. After that point it's been a string of replacing starter, oil pump, transmission rebuild, etc. In 20/20 hindsight I probably would have been better to get out of it then, but my thought process was that I enjoyed the car so much and didn't like the alternatives so I stuck with it. Now am going past 240k miles / 390k km and still very happy with the car. It still looks great, it still drives great, and replacing it will be very expensive.

Dano1977

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:57 pm

My last major big purchase was my new house and a remodel downstairs for my disabled daughter, which includes a shower wetroom, a carers space, bedroom and ceiling track hoist.

Total outlay was $600000

But it was worth it.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

olle

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:06 am

Revelation wrote:
olle wrote:

For my E90 2005 model the tipping point on maintenance was around 180k miles / 290k km. Up to that point only very minor things like the factory battery was always borderline (third party batteries have more power and last longer) so I replaced it. After that point it's been a string of replacing starter, oil pump, transmission rebuild, etc. In 20/20 hindsight I probably would have been better to get out of it then, but my thought process was that I enjoyed the car so much and didn't like the alternatives so I stuck with it. Now am going past 240k miles / 390k km and still very happy with the car. It still looks great, it still drives great, and replacing it will be very expensive.

During the last 15 years I constantly got 2 cars. 1 german quality (mercedes or bmw) and 1 Chrysler minivan.

The chrysler because my wife is from chatolic chile and when they visit us we ask them what they want to see; and of course we get the list: paris, french riviera, pisa, vatican - the pope!, venice, wien, praha, berlin etc. so we have been using to throw them in and I drive.

The chryslers has been a mess. The first one used a lot of gas, and the second had a diesel from daimler. Both broke the automatic key exchange. I now promise myself, never more USA cars!

The mercedes we bought in 2005 when we moved back to sweden was fantastic. Only service until close 40000 kilometers when I replaced it with the BMW. 3 years ago when the last chrysler died with only 130000 kilometers, I got another mercedes instead.

If I ever consider to buy another USA car, I have instructed my family to declare me unfit to take my own decisions.

Kiwirob

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:32 pm

marcelh wrote:
An almost new Mini Countryman Cooper SE All4 Hybrid. Just a BMW 2 series, but with the better looks

The MINI came first.

18 months ago we spent 780,000 NOK on a new car, just before Christmas we booked flights to Singapore and Australia, 52,000 NOK, and hotels not yet paid for. My wife is keen on going down under any more, the tickets aren’t refundable so it either use them or lose them.

Revelation

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:13 pm

olle wrote:
Revelation wrote:
olle wrote:

During the last 15 years I constantly got 2 cars. 1 german quality (mercedes or bmw) and 1 Chrysler minivan.

The chrysler because my wife is from chatolic chile and when they visit us we ask them what they want to see; and of course we get the list: paris, french riviera, pisa, vatican - the pope!, venice, wien, praha, berlin etc. so we have been using to throw them in and I drive.

The chryslers has been a mess. The first one used a lot of gas, and the second had a diesel from daimler. Both broke the automatic key exchange. I now promise myself, never more USA cars!

The mercedes we bought in 2005 when we moved back to sweden was fantastic. Only service until close 40000 kilometers when I replaced it with the BMW. 3 years ago when the last chrysler died with only 130000 kilometers, I got another mercedes instead.

If I ever consider to buy another USA car, I have instructed my family to declare me unfit to take my own decisions.

I certainly agree Chrysler is to be avoided, but am considering a Tesla going forward.

Good job on showing the family around. When I was a kid in the 1970s we had the minvan of its day, the Ford Country Squire station wagon, complete with HUGE 400 cubic inch V8 engine. Whomever designed it didn't give a toss about fuel economy. I don't know the numbers now, but it wasn't uncommon to see 8 to 12 miles to a gallon.

Yet this car served the same purpose, showing the non-US family members all around the US. Since we were starting in the Northeast, we couldn't get too far in the two weeks or so vacation that Dad could get but we went to NYC (Statue of Liberty, Circle Line boat tour, Empire State building, World Trade Center Mk1), Washington, DC (Capitol, White House, Smithsonian), Baltimore (Dad's best friend lived there and had a boat on Chesapeake Bay, love their train museum!), Niagara Falls, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Cape Cod, Etc.

As you might tell, some of my best memories of family life were from those trips, so hope you keep it up, you are building some great experiences for yourself and your family members!

kellyon

Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:40 pm

I love gardening and woodworking. I just bought cool dowel jig, I read about it on protoolsadviser and couldn't resist to buy one for home works. Want to test it this weekend. I like working with my own hands

DL717

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:35 pm

Just received the frameset last week. Building it up right now. Wheels too. Something to do at least.

https://www.milwaukeebicycleco.com/milw ... 34/product

Steel is real.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

MIAspotter

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:35 pm

2018 Seat Ibiza Style Plus, last October.

The local council imposed strict rules on ¨high emission vehicles¨ and created a no go zone around Barcelona, any car registered before 2000 can´t be on the roads MO-FR from 7am to 8pm, so sadly my beloved Peugeot 206 from 99 and only 50000km and running absolutely fine, had to go (sold to a friend that lives outside the no go zone)

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

prebennorholm

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:21 am

Invested in membership of an organization which was earlier named "Support of Lonesome Old People" - now they have a more modern name which is hard to translate. $15 for the whole year. Service and support menu is limitless.

Immediately after receiving the membership card I got a message telling that due to the Corona Crisis all activities had been cancelled.

I have, however, decided not to claim back my $15.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Lucifer656

Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 am

I love gardening and woodworking. I just bought cool dowel jig, I read about it on protoolsadviser and couldn't resist to buy one for home works. Want to test it this weekend. I like working with my own hands

JJJ

Wed May 13, 2020 1:20 pm

Decided it was time to finally buy something instead of renting at 40+ with kids so agreed with the landlord a price and as soon as lockdown lifts we'll do the paperwork.

205k euro, about half of that in cash.

ltbewr

Wed May 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Probably my 2-week trip to Spain/Portugal last fall, total expenses about $2,500 and well worth it. Sadly I don't see any trips until late 2021.

Probably next will be replacing my personal laptop computer, current one is 4.5 years old and a little fussy sometimes, figuring with new MS Office Home full license, accessories, about $700-800. Want one with 15" screen, 8 GB Ram, 256 MB SDD, HP or Dell.

Assuming survive the pandemic, a year from now replacing my car - 2014 Ford Focus with the crap dual-clutch 'automatic' as the extended warranty runs out by next June. Not sure what to get but it won't be an SUV, it will be used, hopefully get a good deal as figure plenty of cars as many default on loans.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed May 13, 2020 2:32 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Probably next will be replacing my personal laptop computer, current one is 4.5 years old and a little fussy sometimes, figuring with new Office full license, accessories, about $700-800. Want one with 15" screen, 8 GB Ram, 256 MB SDD, HP or Dell.

Apart from it being 12GB RAM, that is about what my Word Processor is. A few other features like a touch screen, but I was able to pick that up about two years ago for right around ~$500. It has been pretty solid since then. And I do really like HP too. I was foolish to go away from that for last cycle's machine. For 700 - 800, I would imagine you will find a better system.

For now though, I am already looking to build a decent helm for FS2020. This will be the first Gaming PC I have ever spent any effort making/purchasing. Good news is I have some time. But it does not look like it will happen for less than ~$3000. . .
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

TWA772LR

Wed May 13, 2020 3:07 pm

My last trip to TLV and JNB was probably about $1000. For me thats a big spend! I also got new ski boots and a Keystone season pass and season ski rentals (that I've lost money on now thanks to coronavirus...) that was in total about $1000.

And last summer I bought my current 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. I'd buy offroad tires for it but the road tires it has were almost brand new when I bought the car so I figure I'd wait for new tires and a modest lift to hit the Colorado trails.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

einsteinboricua

Wed May 13, 2020 3:14 pm

May 2: 2020 Hyundai Tucson. 0% APR for 84 months, though I plan to pay this off earlier than that.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NIKV69

Wed May 13, 2020 4:26 pm

2019 Ford F150. God I love how it drives.. Vroommmm
I am the Googlizer!!!

slider

Wed May 13, 2020 4:50 pm

CZ Shadow 2. Impulse buy, to add to the collection. And did a trigger package, new grips. Love it.

But now it's time to tighten the reins on discretionary spending.

JJJ

Wed May 13, 2020 5:16 pm

slider wrote:
CZ Shadow 2..

I wouldn't shoot anything else. Went from a vanilla 75 to a Shadow and I'm pretty sure I'll stay in the CZ camp for a good while.

Kiwirob

Wed May 13, 2020 5:19 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Do $15,000 or $5,000 shotguns count? My last car was 8 years ago, small Mercedes sedan, doubt I’ll buy a new car soon—too damned much electronics, too few cylinders, turbos all of which means trouble.

I've owned 8 cars with turbos and never had a single turbo issue.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed May 13, 2020 5:46 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
May 2: 2020 Hyundai Tucson. 0% APR for 84 months, though I plan to pay this off earlier than that.

This is seven years. Did they require an HOA memebership too?

Also, why the rush to pay it off then? 0% is 0%. Would it not be far wiser to put that money somewhere it can grow in the meantime?

Kiwirob wrote:

There is no bright replacement for slight displacement. Turbos add a degree of efficiency larger powerplants cannot hope to match. Twenty years ago, the case could have been made that reliability —specifically WRT oil consumption and overheating— was a thing. But I agree that those days are now long past. I have managed to avoid using my sedan quite a lot for a guy in suburban coastal CA. But for the times I must drive, particularly where FWYs are involved, I cannot imagine using something else. . .

Kiwirob

Wed May 13, 2020 9:33 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Also, why the rush to pay it off then? 0% is 0%. Would it not be far wiser to put that money somewhere it can grow in the meantime?

Kiwirob wrote:

There is no bright replacement for slight displacement. Turbos add a degree of efficiency larger powerplants cannot hope to match. Twenty years ago, the case could have been made that reliability —specifically WRT oil consumption and overheating— was a thing. But I agree that those days are now long past. I have managed to avoid using my sedan quite a lot for a guy in suburban coastal CA. But for the times I must drive, particularly where FWYs are involved, I cannot imagine using something else. . .

Had to do a recount I forgot the Minis, 10 turbocharged cars.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed May 13, 2020 9:50 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Paid cash for an MRI on my knee...

I hear ya, I had three MRI since January. They gave me a rose. real socks, real undies, and paper gown. They were the most upscale MRI place I've been to. I was worried there expensive decor and rose was going to cost me. Sadly I was right :yes: .

I've bought a Ford F150 2 years ago. when I had to turn in my Tesla. It was my clients and I quit that job.
Frankly, I got tired of charging it and him thinking I was so lucky to drive a tesla.
I had my luxury cars when I was young and dumb. I won't say more.

einsteinboricua

Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

1. I chose the 7 year length so that payments were lower and more manageable. The 0% APR was for between 5-7 years. A shorter term meant higher payments so if it's "free" debt, then let me stretch it out and make it fit my current situation.
2. Normally I'd agree with you but with so much uncertainty in the near and mid term future, I'd much rather get out of debt faster (even if it's "free" debt). Running the numbers, yes, I can take my time paying off the car, but if I want to jump at the chance to buy a house, then the longer I have payments due, the longer I'd have to wait. What's better: $400 for a car and $1900 for a mortgage every month or just $1900 for a mortgage with a car that's free and clear?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NWAESC

Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
I hear ya, I had three MRI since January.

Three?! I don't know what you did, but I sure hope you're not in too much pain these days!
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

csturdiv

Wed May 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Last big purchase was a few years ago, I bought an Alienware 17 R5 laptop, which now is being used more as my gateway into my work VPN rather than a gaming device. I've had a few minor purchases since then, for the laptop, such as a RAM upgrade to 32GB and a 2TB SSD drive.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

GalaxyFlyer

Thu May 14, 2020 12:35 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Kiwirob wrote:

I’ve rented a number of Ford EcoBoost cars or the small SUV. My wife’s Explorer didn’t burn any more gas and nearly as power. I wasn’t impressed. Next car will likely be a restomod something. Lots of guys are now redoing older BMW or MB inline sixes or V-8s. Fuel’s cheap.

Cadet985

Thu May 14, 2020 3:07 am

NWAESC wrote:

I’m having my second or third MRI tomorrow on my cervical spine. Unfortunately, it looks like surgery is in my future.

I can’t imagine paying cash for MRI’s. They’re so unnecessarily expensive.

Hope all works out for you!

Marc

Loew

Thu May 14, 2020 9:23 am

Aesma wrote:
I just ordered a Renault Clio IV to replace my Renault Clio IV... 19000€ but I'm not paying, it's my company car. Gas instead of the current diesel one so that's a plus, it supports android auto so that's also good. I'd have preferred a Clio V though, but apparently they stockpiled Clio IVs for us.

Last thing I paid for was a trip to California for a wedding, that included my first time in premium economy, my first time in an A380, my first time in the US for that matter, with a nice road trip from SF to Fresno and LA, then back on the Pacific highway.

I´m sorry, but 19k for a Clio IV? Your company´s dealer is definitely ripping you off here. A large fleet customer shouldn´t go above 16-17k for that.

NWAESC

Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 am

Cadet985 wrote:
NWAESC wrote:

I’m having my second or third MRI tomorrow on my cervical spine. Unfortunately, it looks like surgery is in my future.

I can’t imagine paying cash for MRI’s. They’re so unnecessarily expensive.

Hope all works out for you!

Marc

Thank you! So far, so good... Mine was for my knee, and I'm still hoping to avoid surgery if at all possible.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

NIKV69

Thu May 14, 2020 12:25 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Do $15,000 or $5,000 shotguns count? My last car was 8 years ago, small Mercedes sedan, doubt I’ll buy a new car soon—too damned much electronics, too few cylinders, turbos all of which means trouble.

Ford pickup owners with the V6 turbo have not been so lucky.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Pellegrine

Thu May 14, 2020 4:55 pm

I always wanted a big ass pair of diamond stud earrings, so I've been talking to a jeweler on Madison Ave. that I've done business with in the past. Looking at 15-20 carats each side. I redid my kitchen with Miele, Sub Zero, and Gaggeneau appliances last year, and I'm looking to move (stay in DC) after this pandemic dies down. I want a house in Kalorama and I'm going to renovate the heck out of it.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

FriscoHeavy

Thu May 14, 2020 5:10 pm

An in-ground pool a few months ago. North of $125,000 once you factor in pool furniture, landscaping and trees.
Whatever

Aaron747

Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
An in-ground pool a few months ago. North of $125,000 once you factor in pool furniture, landscaping and trees.

And we have a winner! Hope you or someone in the family uses it OFTEN. :crossfingers:

My boss just told me he was gonna go in as a partner in a 1984 Cessna 421, but elected not to because of the uncertainty this year. Too bad, would have loved the ride-alongs.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Thu May 14, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DarkSnowyNight

Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
I always wanted a big ass pair of diamond stud earrings, so I've been talking to a jeweler on Madison Ave. that I've done business with in the past. Looking at 15-20 carats each side. I redid my kitchen with Miele, Sub Zero, and Gaggeneau appliances last year, and I'm looking to move (stay in DC) after this pandemic dies down. I want a house in Kalorama and I'm going to renovate the heck out of it.

Do they make Diamond Studded Llamas? Because that would go great on your typical Adam's Morgan lawn.

Pellegrine

Thu May 14, 2020 6:04 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Do they make Diamond Studded Llamas? Because that would go great on your typical Adam's Morgan lawn.

The only people who live in Adams Morgan are those who've lived there for YEARS and freshly minted college grads who want a place within stumbling distance to 18th St. (Drunks Street in DC). I'm neither. I maintain residence in Geneva, Washington, and Providenciales...hence my avatar.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

FriscoHeavy

Thu May 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

And we have a winner! Hope you or someone in the family uses it OFTEN. :crossfingers:

My boss just told me he was gonna go in as a partner in a 1984 Cessna 421, but elected not to because of the uncertainty this year. Too bad, would have loved the ride-alongs.

Haha - Yes, it was steep. Just my wife and I (and the dog). It's finally starting to warm up enough to use it, so I hope we do enjoy it! Can't take it away now :).
Whatever

airtechy

Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 pm

I got a call around 2000 from a flying friend asking if I wanted to buy an airplane. I thought he was kidding as neither of us had ever expressed the desire to own one .. even though we were both pilots. He wasn't. Two days later we owned a used $25,000 Cessna 310. In the end, we made out well as we sold it after 5 years and a lot of hours for $80k. Still, that had to be one of the craziest things I've ever done .. in the shortest time!

Since then, the only thing that registers was a new Lexus and that was ten years ago.

Aaron747

Fri May 15, 2020 12:18 am

airtechy wrote:
I got a call around 2000 from a flying friend asking if I wanted to buy an airplane. I thought he was kidding as neither of us had ever expressed the desire to own one .. even though we were both pilots. He wasn't. Two days later we owned a used $25,000 Cessna 310. In the end, we made out well as we sold it after 5 years and a lot of hours for $80k. Still, that had to be one of the craziest things I've ever done .. in the shortest time!

Since then, the only thing that registers was a new Lexus and that was ten years ago.

The C421 my boss was looking at was just north of $350k, and he was going in half. High performance twin ownership is no joke...whereas singles can be had for the price of a new car.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jetwet1

Fri May 15, 2020 1:24 am

LHD Ford Capri 2.8i Special

The wife is going to kill me when it shows up.

WarRI1

Fri May 15, 2020 1:31 am

jetwet1 wrote:
LHD Ford Capri 2.8i Special

The wife is going to kill me when it shows up.

My last grocery order on line.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

seb146

Fri May 15, 2020 3:01 am

I love shoes. I have 12 plastic totes of shoes. I know I have at least 70 pair. The brosband gives so much attitude when we go to the outlets. He knows where I will go. Also, my birthday is coming up. I went ahead and bought a pair of Hugo Boss boots and told him to not bother getting me anything. They were originally priced at $350 according to the web site and now on final clearance for $130. Does that count?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

jetwet1

Fri May 15, 2020 3:06 am

seb146 wrote:
I love shoes. I have 12 plastic totes of shoes. I know I have at least 70 pair. The brosband gives so much attitude when we go to the outlets. He knows where I will go. Also, my birthday is coming up. I went ahead and bought a pair of Hugo Boss boots and told him to not bother getting me anything. They were originally priced at $350 according to the web site and now on final clearance for $130. Does that count?

You are NEVER going to meet Mrs Jetwet1, the two of you together would be dangerous.

seb146

Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 am

jetwet1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You are NEVER going to meet Mrs Jetwet1, the two of you together would be dangerous.

And I will never EVER tell her there is a mega outlet mall just 45 minutes south of PDX in Woodburn. I would never do that. ;)
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

slider

Fri May 15, 2020 1:59 pm

JJJ wrote:
slider wrote:
CZ Shadow 2..

I wouldn't shoot anything else. Went from a vanilla 75 to a Shadow and I'm pretty sure I'll stay in the CZ camp for a good while.

My first was a P-09 and it's my go-to handgun. CZ is, for my money, just incredible. Hitting the range this afternoon.

jetmatt777

Thu May 21, 2020 8:40 pm

Found a good deal on a 30 year old Suzuki. Not a huge purchase but around $1,700.

Aesma

Thu May 21, 2020 9:29 pm

Pellegrine wrote:

Wouldn't a 20 carats diamond be worth millions ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams