Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pellegrine

Re: What’s the last big purchase you made?

Thu May 28, 2020 5:26 am

Aesma wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
I always wanted a big ass pair of diamond stud earrings, so I've been talking to a jeweler on Madison Ave. that I've done business with in the past. Looking at 15-20 carats each side. I redid my kitchen with Miele, Sub Zero, and Gaggeneau appliances last year, and I'm looking to move (stay in DC) after this pandemic dies down. I want a house in Kalorama and I'm going to renovate the heck out of it.

Wouldn't a 20 carats diamond be worth millions ?

Yeah, investment quality could be 3.5-4.5. Trading paid off the last few years; I'm thinking of investing in some portable assets.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

EstherLouise

Sun May 31, 2020 2:36 pm

In May 2019, I leased a 2019 Ford Escape Titanium AWD. It's called the Kuga in some parts of the world. I've purchased five new Ford cars since 1988 and this is the first one I've leased. As a retiree, I simply have no desire or need to own a car outright anymore. I leased this Escape for $400 a month for 36 months and I can accumulate 36,000 miles on the odometer without incurring a mileage penalty. I speced it to order and ordered everything except a moonroof. I also speced a trailer hitch receiver and engine block heater. It comes with a 2.0 liter Ecoboost engine with turbo and automatic gearbox. I paid $435 more for the Ruby Red color and it has a black leather interior. It comes with a 400-watt Sony 9-speaker (with powered subwoofer) sound system. In 2022, I plan to trade it in for what I hope will be a plug-in electric Escape Titanium AWD.

712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

Redd

Sun May 31, 2020 3:16 pm

cpd wrote:
Bicycle frame at AUD$5K - extremely light. The whole thing built up is about $12K.

Absolutely brilliant thing and I’ve put more than 20,000km on it since I got it April last year.

Nothing much else.

Which frameset did you get?

I had an aluminum/carbon frame made for me last year. Cost me 2.5keuros. Amazing piece of kit.

AA747123

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:15 am

EstherLouise wrote:
In May 2019, I leased a 2019 Ford Escape Titanium AWD. It's called the Kuga in some parts of the world. I've purchased five new Ford cars since 1988 and this is the first one I've leased. As a retiree, I simply have no desire or need to own a car outright anymore. I leased this Escape for $400 a month for 36 months and I can accumulate 36,000 miles on the odometer without incurring a mileage penalty. I speced it to order and ordered everything except a moonroof. I also speced a trailer hitch receiver and engine block heater. It comes with a 2.0 liter Ecoboost engine with turbo and automatic gearbox. I paid $435 more for the Ruby Red color and it has a black leather interior. It comes with a 400-watt Sony 9-speaker (with powered subwoofer) sound system. In 2022, I plan to trade it in for what I hope will be a plug-in electric Escape Titanium AWD.

Nice looking ride! Nice color!

ltbewr

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:28 am

I just bought last week a new Andrioid (Samsung) smartphone, only $80, to replace a 2 1/2 year old phone that was getting fussy due to old (6th Gen) Android software vs. 9th Gen, more (32GB) internal memory, and a better touch on the screen.
I think many of us are putting on hold any significant purchases due to the Pandemic and the employment insecurity and economic fallout from it.Some may take advantage of businesses despite for income to do projects around the house, maybe a new SUV. If any major purchases are being done, they will be with cash or manageable credit at low interest rates, talking advantage of fire sale prices or out of necessity replacement like a busted computer, TV, car, washing machine.

cpd

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:33 am

Redd wrote:
cpd wrote:
Bicycle frame at AUD$5K - extremely light. The whole thing built up is about $12K.

Absolutely brilliant thing and I’ve put more than 20,000km on it since I got it April last year.

Nothing much else.

I had an aluminum/carbon frame made for me last year. Cost me 2.5keuros. Amazing piece of kit.

Canyon Ultimate CF Evo: https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road-bikes ... be=BK%2FBN

Just an absolutely incredible bike.

I think I've put about 26,000 or 27,000km on it now. It has been absolutely trouble free. Luckily survived a massive crash at 65km/h on the Col du Glandon last year (me and the bike survived, the bike better than me). I intend to keep it. The SRAM E-Tap came off my previous bike.
Full size image: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Pm2 ... L9G-X5.jpg

I built it up with pretty much all high end components, some I already had, others I had to get. But the key thing, they were all realistic light weight parts, not these silly super-light components that are fragile.

Having a bike with alloy wheels that is down in the 6.4/6.5kg weight range is just insane. I do have carbon wheels I can put on it and I can get it down even lighter, but it's light enough already and I prefer the braking on alloy wheels.

I actually ride that bike to and from work.

Aesma

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:32 am

If you were in France you could get a 50€ government grant for some maintenance on it.

:duck:
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cpd

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:46 am

Aesma wrote:
If you were in France you could get a 50€ government grant for some maintenance on it.

:duck:

What, the bike? I do my own work on it - I've got all the tools here - even a bottom bracket press (which is a very expensive tool), so could I just pocket the money instead! :D

I wanted to be in France again, I really miss being there every year in the Haute-Savoie area (then I go further south and finish up in Nice). It feels like a second home. I really should properly learn the language I think.

Wouldn't mind going to Koblenz in Germany with this bike - where it was built and see the factory.
Last edited by cpd on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

1337Delta764

Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:47 am

For us, A Shark Apex vacuum cleaner back in February.

I would like to buy a U by Moen smart faucet, but we might hold off on it for our next house.

PlymSpotter

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:35 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
An in-ground pool a few months ago. North of $125,000 once you factor in pool furniture, landscaping and trees.

And we have a winner! Hope you or someone in the family uses it OFTEN. :crossfingers:

My boss just told me he was gonna go in as a partner in a 1984 Cessna 421, but elected not to because of the uncertainty this year. Too bad, would have loved the ride-alongs.

Haha - Yes, it was steep. Just my wife and I (and the dog). It's finally starting to warm up enough to use it, so I hope we do enjoy it! Can't take it away now :).

Out of interest, did you consider putting a heating system in it?

We have a 12m x 10m outside diving pool, which came with the house when we bought it. It's been unusually warm here in the UK, so the temperature is already up to 24 degrees, but ordinarily it's still pretty cold until late June. The last owners installed an industrial kerosene boiler to heat the water, but that broke years ago - it was also ferociously expensive to run, as the pool is 3.5m deep.

We're thinking about trying a solar heating option to make it more usable... or turning it into a giant fish pond and building a new (smaller) pool in the basement of a planned extension.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Aesma

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:28 pm

In your case it must stay pretty cool even in August, no ? I like the idea of solar heating. Could you fill the bottom of the pool to a more usual depth ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

PlymSpotter

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Aesma wrote:
In your case it must stay pretty cool even in August, no ? I like the idea of solar heating. Could you fill the bottom of the pool to a more usual depth ?

A couple of years ago it reached 28 - that was very pleasant.

We have a ~60m2 workshop near to the pool, so we are thinking of installing a solar system on the flat roof. And yes, remodelling the pool is a distinct possibility. You can't get spares any more for the filtration system, so when that finally gives up we're thinking about making it at least a meter shallower, and rectangular. Currently it is a six sided random shape, meaning the cover needs to be made specially and is not at all cheap. It also can't be fitted to a roll, so it takes three people to fit or remove.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

planewasted

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:42 pm

I bought global index funds for around $3000 yesterday. The last more expensive physical thing a bought was a Takamine acoustic guitar for around $2000 a year ago, have not regretted it for a second!

Redd

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:52 pm

cpd wrote:
Redd wrote:
cpd wrote:

Nothing much else.

I think I've put about 26,000 or 27,000km on it now. It has been absolutely trouble free. Luckily survived a massive crash at 65km/h on the Col du Glandon last year (me and the bike survived, the bike better than me). I intend to keep it. The SRAM E-Tap came off my previous bike.

I built it up with pretty much all high end components, some I already had, others I had to get. But the key thing, they were all realistic light weight parts, not these silly super-light components that are fragile.

Having a bike with alloy wheels that is down in the 6.4/6.5kg weight range is just insane. I do have carbon wheels I can put on it and I can get it down even lighter, but it's light enough already and I prefer the braking on alloy wheels.

Thats a beautiful bike, and I love the SRAM etap. I ride RED mechanical but I'm a SRAM fanboy all the way. :D What is that wheelset you have on the CF? Fulcrum Zero? How is that frame on climbs and sprints, very stiff and responsive?

I've considered Canyon a few times but I'm thinking about going Colnago for my next frameset. Either the Concept or the C64. I've had a few Colnagos and I just have a soft spot for the company and it's history.

cpd

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:22 am

Redd wrote:
cpd wrote:
Redd wrote:

Thats a beautiful bike, and I love the SRAM etap. I ride RED mechanical but I'm a SRAM fanboy all the way. :D What is that wheelset you have on the CF? Fulcrum Zero? How is that frame on climbs and sprints, very stiff and responsive?

I've considered Canyon a few times but I'm thinking about going Colnago for my next frameset. Either the Concept or the C64. I've had a few Colnagos and I just have a soft spot for the company and it's history.

Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione, a really great light alloy wheelset with nice ceramic bearings in the hubs. The bike is great on climbs and it accelerates really fast, as you'd expect because it's an extremely light bike and as pictured it is not UCI legal, even on alloy wheels. It does feel bouncy though over bumps at high speeds, a lot more than my old Giant (TCR Advanced SL1).

As for sprinting, it goes okay but I'm not a sprinter, I'm too light for that - I do damage on hills. ;)

As it is, there is scope to bring that bike down under 6kg, the shopping list would be:

THM Fibula brake calipers
THM Clavicula crankset
Beast Components carbon saddle (the bare carbon version, not the leather one I have)
Lightweight Meilenstein wheels

Or I can just use the Xentis 2.5SL wheels I already have. I could also swap the Canyon integrated bar/stem for the separate bar/stem from my old bike, those are lighter. It becomes expensive, you add a huge amount of cost to drop below 6kg for not much benefit. I don't trust carbon brake calipers, nor carbon cranks. And I dislike carbon wheels, even though I've actually ridden them before in the mountains on this particular bike:

Canyon Aeroad CF SLX, Ultegra R8000, 52-36 chainrings and 11-28 cassette.

It was Mavic's neutral support spare bike, given to me for two days, no cost, no worries. Love those Mavic people. :) Riding in the mountains with mid-compact and 11-28, yeah, that's tough work - you have to stay on top of the gears at all times. I'm fit and light, but that made me work hard. Why did I have that bike though?

It was because Emirates (or their ground handling people) did this to my other bike:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bTC ... brF-X2.jpg

I discovered that when I rocked up in Megeve late, did my sign in and put the bike together and hmm, what's that mark on the bars - followed by the oh crap moment. But Mavic were absolutely superb. They got new bars, fixed everything at short notice without drama. Just the best people. And having the Mavic cars and vans around nearby is just nice in case there is some problem during the stage. Also they are great drivers, they drive fast but they know how to drive around riders because they do it all the time.

My other bike was this:

It got fixed up by Max Ruphy (the famous Mavic mechanic who is also a great rider himself) and was good for one of the best days of riding in my life, from Valloire, cross Col du Galibier, then Sarenne as well and up to Les Deux Alpes. The Giant still exists as a frameset only, it has no components on it - they all got taken off and put on the Canyon.

Ken777

Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:47 am

QTT ade a good offer t move back from TMobile. Up to $700 discounts on iPhones and an iPad for each new line. o 3 iPad 11's and 3 iPads - one for thew daughter who is heeading off uni this year on basically a free ride.

That covers personal spending as medical spending takes over now.