Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

caliboy93
Topic Author

Should booing be banned at sporting events?

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:46 am

I think that booing at a sporting event is disrespectful. What do you think should happen?

TWA772LR

Re: Should booing be banned at sporting events?

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:04 am

No.

A. If you're not against the other team, there is no reason for sports.

B. It brings camaraderie among the fans, especially when booing a bad call made by the refs.

C. Booing can be just as fun as cheering.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

NIKV69

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:08 am

Of course not. I mean when Tavares came back to NY after leaving the Islanders they booed him, flipped him off and burned his Jersey in the parking lot. All justified!
I am the Googlizer!!!

Aaron747

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:12 am

Are you kidding? No way.

Growing up, attending SF 49er or Giants games and booing the Rams or Dodgers was what most of us looked forward to most. Hearing 50k people chanting ‘Beat LA!’ is a cherished memory of any Bay Area kid.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

KFLLCFII

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:20 am

TWA772LR wrote:
A. If you're not against the other team, there is no reason for sports.

Fixed that for you.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

VSMUT

Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:30 am

Regardless of reasons for or against it, how exactly do you propose to deal with a ban on booing?

DIRECTFLT

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 am

caliboy93 wrote:
I think that booing at a sporting event is disrespectful. What do you think should happen?

I like the booing, but I'd ban the beer. Don't like the smell of it, as it's split by many. I'd rather people smoke pot than drink beer at a sporting event.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Kiwirob

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:51 am

caliboy93 wrote:

This a stupid PC idea, crowd participation (including booing) are why people go to live events rather than stay at home and watch on tv.

scbriml

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:54 am

caliboy93 wrote:

How would you implement such a policy? Good luck trying to stop thousands of people booing.

Any other daft ideas?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

cpd

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Of course not. I mean when Tavares came back to NY after leaving the Islanders they booed him, flipped him off and burned his Jersey in the parking lot. All justified!

Bah, that's nothing. Shouldn't the fans invade the field and attack the players instead?

That's what happened in some local football matches here, even when the players are juniors (eg, under 18). Someone doesn't like a call the ref made, then it's an all in brawl! :roll:

johns624

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 pm

scbriml wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

How would you implement such a policy? Good luck trying to stop thousands of people booing.

Any other daft ideas?
Don't bother asking him questions. He starts these threads and then never returns to them to answer questions.

afcjets

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Delete

frmrCapCadet

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:46 pm

short polite boos indicating disapproval are OK, and as well an exceptionally fine play by the other team deserves tepid applause. Stories from yesteryear. LOL
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

einsteinboricua

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:47 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I'd rather people smoke pot than drink beer at a sporting event.

I'd restrict alcohol to just the first half of the game. You can then allow the effect to wear off when the game starts getting more intense and avoid a recipe for disaster if two drunks from opposing teams taunt each other while walking out.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

northstardc4m

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Oh come on...

Basketball booing is actually encouraged during certain events like opponent free throws.

Also..."refs you suck" chants are not going anywhere.

It's professional sports, not kid's no one looses house league. It's also part of home advantage; People boo you on the road it's part of the game.

Now there are times it is very wrong... During national anthem or moments of silence for example... But during game play no. Really booing is cheering, just done differently, do you want to get rid of cheering and applause too? Ban the wave? Kick people out for whistling?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

jetwet1

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Hearing 50k people chanting ‘Beat LA!’ is a cherished memory of any Bay Area kid.

While no 50k, hearing 15k Sharks fans yelling "Beat LA" for the first 5 minutes of a playoff game is fantastic, if only because for the other 55 minutes the 5k Kings fans get to tell " You choked"...Again

See, there has to be booing and talking trash in sports, as long as it's done in a "friendly" way, the idiots that want to fight because of it I have no time for.

I do have to wonder what American sports fans would think of some of the EPL chants.

bgm

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:45 pm

scbriml wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

Any other daft ideas?

Did you see the epic dating an octogenarian thread? :mrgreen: Think the mods may have deleted it.

fr8mech

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:47 pm

“Boston sucks, Boston sucks, Boston sucks!”, is not booing, it is an assertion of facts.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

flipdewaf

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:56 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
I think

Your problem.

caliboy93 wrote:
that booing at a sporting event

Directed at someone else.

caliboy93 wrote:
is disrespectful.

Why should we expect respect? I took an oath last year to not give respect where none is required and Found it was much easier and I was happier.

caliboy93 wrote:
What do you think should happen?

Be less concerned about others exercising their freedoms....

Let people worry about themselves,

Fred

Jetsgo

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:16 pm

This is it boys. This is what the once almighty A.net has been degraded to.
“ShOuLd BoOiNg Be BaNnEd” - please, seek help.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

bhill

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Heck no, as long as it is not profane...I am paying for the ticket, and I will boo at my own side if they are not playing up to the level I am paying for...even bunkering down when ahead and 10 minutes left in the match!! I do not boo the other side just for being there....but if they flop.....yep...even Ref's for bad calls.
Carpe Pices

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:32 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

Sorry, there must have been a small fly on my computer screen - I read the title as "Should Boeing be banned at sporting events?" :duck:

Go Seahawks!
Nothing to see here; move along please.

casinterest

Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Another wasteful thread? Could it not have been about artificial grass, or the overpriced beer?
Where ever you go, there you are.

seb146

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 pm

Every hockey game I have ever been to, the same thing happens. No matter how many opposing team fans there are in the stadium, all the fans come together when those black and white striped jerseys come onto the ice.

One of the greatest goalies in Canucks history was Roberto Luongo. When he stepped onto the ice at Rogers Arena, the entire crowd let loose with "LUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!" One of my nephews one time asked why they are booing their own goalie....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DeltaMD90

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:52 pm

Wasn't it OP that said we should ban Valentine's Day was offensive to singles? And another thread where he asked if he should marry himself?

I really hope OP is just trolling in these threads...

L410Turbolet

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:55 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

This is what I find most hillarious about sports on the club level: owners of those sports clubs do it for the money, players on the field/court/pitch pick and choose clubs based on who gives them the best deal, great deal or any deal.
Only the poor fools in the stands go crazy when someone "betrays" their, purely imaginary, sense of club loyalty.

seb146

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:41 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

This is what I find most hillarious about sports on the club level: owners of those sports clubs do it for the money, players on the field/court/pitch pick and choose clubs based on who gives them the best deal, great deal or any deal.
Only the poor fools in the stands go crazy when someone "betrays" their, purely imaginary, sense of club loyalty.

It makes perfect sense. This player gives the fans some good seasons and then leaves. There was magic and excitement tied to that player. It goes the same way when a source of pure evil joins your favorite team. Mark Messier was on the Canucks and it dragged the team down.

910A

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:08 am

The Big West Conference has announced that the league's basketball tournaments will be played without spectators as a precaution for preventing the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Well there will be non booing at these games..

johns624

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Wasn't it OP that said we should ban Valentine's Day was offensive to singles? And another thread where he asked if he should marry himself?

I really hope OP is just trolling in these threads...
Nope. Too many others examples of oddball topics. He's the real thing...

WarRI1

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:47 am

I once booed the Referee at my grandsons basketball game for handing out a couple of tech fouls, I made the boo a little late and the boys Father who was foul shooting, threatened to attack me thinking I was booing his son. Lesson learned.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Kent350787

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:00 am

I don't personally like booing, but it is part of fan support in many sports.

What I find disrespectful is booing the winning team at the end of a fair match. This happens all the time with fans of one particular team in my sport of preference and they can just go screw themselves.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

johns624

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:04 am

When you spend as much as a pro ticket costs nowadays to watch a bunch of millionaires play a child's game and they suck, you have a right to boo.

fr8mech

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:59 am

WarRI1 wrote:
I once booed the Referee at my grandsons basketball game for handing out a couple of tech fouls, I made the boo a little late and the boys Father who was foul shooting, threatened to attack me thinking I was booing his son. Lesson learned.

I have ever, not once, boo'ed at a kids' game. Not even the referee. Not soccer, not basketball, not volleyball. Never.

It sets a bad example.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

DL717

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:14 am

caliboy93 wrote:

Maybe both teams can win the Super Bowl or World Series too. :rotfl:
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:52 am

There should be more booing during Chess Tournaments.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

vhqpa

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:03 am

Yes, and while we're at it lets ban all alcohol sales, fan clothing and jeans. A polo shirt or tie to support your team is fine. Anyone in contravention of the dress code shall be ejected from the venue. Any booing or disrespectful comments is grounds for a life ban.

Seriously though, I'm trying to imagine going to the Showdown between the Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide AFL teams, or the State of Origin between the QLD and NSW Rugby league teams without booing or any banter and to be honest I'd think I'd rather stay home and knit (like a good portion of Adelaide's fan base).

*Edited to add that dig against the Crows and their supporters.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

johns624

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:14 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
There'd have to be spectators first... :)

Sokes

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 pm

What's the point of sport events if one can't express one's group identity?

source: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/771963
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

zakuivcustom

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Or cheering...

Actually, it reminds me of another boring sport to watch - Golf. Does anyone boo at a golf tournament anyway?

Back to OP - why should booing be banned? Not necessarily against the opposing team, but there's always those very questionable ref decisions.

DeltaMD90

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:31 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Back to OP - why should booing be banned? Not necessarily against the opposing team, but there's always those very questionable ref decisions.

I'm not saying you do this, but I have absolutely no respect for people when they get all pissy and boo a ref or a call against their team when the person knows their team was in the wrong

For example, the ref saying it was a touchdown, it goes into review, we all see the replay and it's absolutely clear there was no touchdown, the decision is reversed, and then the fans boo it. Give me a break. I thought we wanted to win by being good not because of an accidental bad call

jetwet1

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:21 pm

seb146 wrote:
Every hockey game I have ever been to, the same thing happens. No matter how many opposing team fans there are in the stadium, all the fans come together when those black and white striped jerseys come onto the ice.

There are normally some who sit it out when booing the refs, the only time I have heard the whole arena boo is when Bettman walks on this ice :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW6x_KK2pXo

and to his credit he accepts that, except once, when he was 100% correct :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij3eQ9y8_8M

LittleFokker

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:25 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

There are normally some who sit it out when booing the refs, the only time I have heard the whole arena boo is when Bettman walks on this ice :

Dude was wrong about the San Jose crowd being the loudest. Vancouver really gave it to him. Remember they rioted after getting embarrassed at home in game 7, they sure as hell weren't going to put up with Bettman's riff raff.

Side note: I know in the NHL the commish represents the owners, but what the hell do they see in him? Does he really bring anymore financial success to the league than an average schmo executive? Why do they tolerate the league being represented by this clown?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Kent350787

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:22 am

vhqpa wrote:
Yes, and while we're at it lets ban all alcohol sales, fan clothing and jeans. A polo shirt or tie to support your team is fine. Anyone in contravention of the dress code shall be ejected from the venue. Any booing or disrespectful comments is grounds for a life ban.

Seriously though, I'm trying to imagine going to the Showdown between the Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide AFL teams, or the State of Origin between the QLD and NSW Rugby league teams without booing or any banter and to be honest I'd think I'd rather stay home and knit (like a good portion of Adelaide's fan base).

*Edited to add that dig against the Crows and their supporters.

The Adelaide teams boo the visitors during matches but are good sports in the end. Brisbane fans aren't.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

seb146

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 am

LittleFokker wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Dude was wrong about the San Jose crowd being the loudest. Vancouver really gave it to him. Remember they rioted after getting embarrassed at home in game 7, they sure as hell weren't going to put up with Bettman's riff raff.

Side note: I know in the NHL the commish represents the owners, but what the hell do they see in him? Does he really bring anymore financial success to the league than an average schmo executive? Why do they tolerate the league being represented by this clown?

When Messier put the but of his stick in Linden's eye and Linden got a 5 minute major, when Babych was tripped and got a 2 minute, when Bure was hooked and he got a 5 minute major, and you ask why we are angry?

The Rangers BOUGHT The Cup. They could not have won it any other way. Bettman needed the Rangers to win so Americans could love hockey.

WarRI1

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:58 am

fr8mech wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

I have ever, not once, boo'ed at a kids' game. Not even the referee. Not soccer, not basketball, not volleyball. Never.

It sets a bad example.

Never had I before that one incident,or incidents. I guess you had to be there, I was not the only one not pleased, but as I said, my timing was off. My Grandson is now playing JV and I do not boo as I had not before as I said. I do not think my record is too bad, my son now 52 played sports, never boo'd once in his career.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

ACDC8

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 am

caliboy93 wrote:

I think society has become soft enough. No need to drag everyone down to your level of "feelings".
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

WesternDC6B

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:37 am

If you ban Booing, you’ll have to include Airbus, Ilyushin, Mitsubishi, and Antonov...
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

scbriml

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:54 pm

Given the amount of professional sport being cancelled around the World, worrying about booing is a non-issue.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

gunsontheroof

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:38 am

caliboy93 wrote:

Of course it's disrespectful, that's the entire point. If you've got a problem with it, I suggest following golf.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

scbriml

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
caliboy93 wrote:

Of course it's disrespectful, that's the entire point. If you've got a problem with it, I suggest following golf.

Have you seen the partisanship at the Ryder Cup?