Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Iloveboeing
Topic Author
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:02 am

McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:01 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/business ... index.html

Are they insane?!? Four patties on a burger? Just looking at the picture makes me feel sick. I've never had a Big Mac and have never wanted to try one as I (1) don't like American cheese and (2) don't really care for mayonnaise or mustard.

I know McDonald's is trying to cater to what the market demands, but I think they had a better idea when they were serving the Premium McWraps several years back (which I thought were delicious). IMO, restaurants should be encouraging healthy eating habits. America is going to be in a major health crisis if Americans don't start exercising daily and eating properly. If we did, we could dramatically reduce the cases of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease.

Chick-Fil-A has the right idea with their grilled nuggets and a side of their Kale Crunch.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7344
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:09 pm

Then let those who wanna eat that stuff die and there's more America for you.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
Iloveboeing
Topic Author
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:02 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:11 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Then let those who wanna eat that stuff die and there's more America for you.


Well that's a pretty morbid way to look at it, but you do have a point. I'd rather see people change their lifestyles than to die prematurely from truly preventable causes.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 12107
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:13 pm

That is awesome. at 720 calories, it still is less than the double quarter pounder with cheese.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
Iloveboeing
Topic Author
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:02 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm

casinterest wrote:
That is awesome. at 720 calories, it still is less than the double quarter pounder with cheese.


Yet, I can get 24 grilled nuggets from Chick-Fil-A for 400 calories total.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 12107
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
casinterest wrote:
That is awesome. at 720 calories, it still is less than the double quarter pounder with cheese.


Yet, I can get 24 grilled nuggets from Chick-Fil-A for 400 calories total.


That's good for you. I can get 340 calories if I tell them to hold the cheese sauce and bun on the Double Big Mac.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/ca/en-ca/abou ... lator.html
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2150
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:10 pm

You mean to tell me that you couldn't get a 4 patty Big Mac in America before?

Here in Malaysia, this is known as a Mega Mac. I partake in it once in a while, without the cheese, mayo & mustard.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13686
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:24 pm

McDonalds is so played out. Though I do get a Mac once in a while since it's so unique so I will try this!
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8083
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:06 am

So what? If someone wants to eat themselves into an early grave, that's up to them.

McDonald's can sell anything they want, and market it to whomever they want. The market will decide whether it stays or goes.

Yes, I realize that there's a societal cost to people being fat, but there's a societal cost to all kinds of things we do.

casinterest wrote:
That is awesome. at 720 calories, it still is less than the double quarter pounder with cheese.


Add another ~500 for the large fries and ~300 for the large coke, and you have the makings of a meal. :lol:

For the record, the only thing I've eaten from McDonald's in the last 8'ish years has been their Egg McMuffin, the occasional black coffee or an iced tea.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 12107
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:57 am

fr8mech wrote:
So what? If someone wants to eat themselves into an early grave, that's up to them.

McDonald's can sell anything they want, and market it to whomever they want. The market will decide whether it stays or goes.

Yes, I realize that there's a societal cost to people being fat, but there's a societal cost to all kinds of things we do.

casinterest wrote:
That is awesome. at 720 calories, it still is less than the double quarter pounder with cheese.


Add another ~500 for the large fries and ~300 for the large coke, and you have the makings of a meal. :lol:

For the record, the only thing I've eaten from McDonald's in the last 8'ish years has been their Egg McMuffin, the occasional black coffee or an iced tea.


Lunch of champions :)

I haven't had a big mac in years though. Never wanted the sauce. The McDouble is the same thing without the extra bread and sauce.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
ThePointblank
Posts: 3516
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 am

This already existed up in Canada for a few years, and we have a version with bacon in it.
 
kalvado
Posts: 2928
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 am

Sometimes we order the biggest sandwich available with the largest fries and cola - and just split that in halves, a single meal for 2 people ends up being cheaper than 2 separate small ones. Works best with Arby's.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8083
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:07 am

ThePointblank wrote:
This already existed up in Canada for a few years, and we have a version with bacon in it.


TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Here in Malaysia, this is known as a Mega Mac. I partake in it once in a while, without the cheese, mayo & mustard.


So, what you're saying is that McDonald's market tested this thing in Canada and Malaysia? And, that it sold well enough to expand the market to the US?

I like it.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:20 am

With the US going into prepper mode over the virus, how the hell can anyone justify eating one of these things?

And screw CNN for promoting it during a health crisis...
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8083
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:59 am

1989worstyear wrote:
With the US going into prepper mode over the virus, how the hell can anyone justify eating one of these things?


Maybe this is the reason the unwashed are hoarding toilet paper???

1989worstyear wrote:
And screw CNN for promoting it during a health crisis...


I didn't read "promotion" in that article, I read "information".. It is the business section and the article is following up on this article.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
seat64k
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:52 am

No judgement, I regularly partake in some MickyD, but

fr8mech wrote:
Add another ~500 for the large fries and ~300 for the large coke, and you have the makings of a meal. :lol:


Large fries, according to their site, is 178g, breaking down as:
560kcal
27g fat
75g carb
6g protein

Raw potato has 1.9g protein per 100g, so I assume they start off with 320g potato and dehidration takes it down to 178g. That means the potato in the fries account for:
224 kcal
0.4g fat
51g carb
6g protein

That's right: Less than half the calories are from the potato. The 27g fat is from the oil. Where does the extra 24g carb come from if they list 0g sugar?
 
Mortyman
Posts: 5879
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:27 am

Go to Burger King instead. You can get as many Whopper patties you want, as long as you pay for it. The largest I have seen is 8 patties
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2150
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:37 am

fr8mech wrote:
ThePointblank wrote:
This already existed up in Canada for a few years, and we have a version with bacon in it.


TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Here in Malaysia, this is known as a Mega Mac. I partake in it once in a while, without the cheese, mayo & mustard.


So, what you're saying is that McDonald's market tested this thing in Canada and Malaysia? And, that it sold well enough to expand the market to the US?

I like it.


It's also available in China, Egypt, Ireland, Japan, Turkey, Singapore, Pakistan, South Korea, Thailand, and United Kingdom.

Here's a review from Japan. Funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8S7JG8MRA
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 13075
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:46 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/business/mcdonalds-double-big-mac/index.html

Are they insane?!? Four patties on a burger? Just looking at the picture makes me feel sick. I've never had a Big Mac and have never wanted to try one as I (1) don't like American cheese and (2) don't really care for mayonnaise or mustard.


There is no mayo or mustard on a Big Mac.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 13686
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:52 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/business/mcdonalds-double-big-mac/index.html

Are they insane?!? Four patties on a burger? Just looking at the picture makes me feel sick. I've never had a Big Mac and have never wanted to try one as I (1) don't like American cheese and (2) don't really care for mayonnaise or mustard.


There is no mayo or mustard on a Big Mac.


The special sauce is Mayo based but it sure is good!
I am the Googlizer!!!
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8083
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:00 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Here's a review from Japan. Funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8S7JG8MRA


As I said earlier, I haven't had much at McDonald's in several years, so, I gotta ask:

Is that french fry container a large? Because, that looks a lot larger than I remember.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2150
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:07 am

fr8mech wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Here's a review from Japan. Funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8S7JG8MRA


As I said earlier, I haven't had much at McDonald's in several years, so, I gotta ask:

Is that french fry container a large? Because, that looks a lot larger than I remember.


I think so. Last time I visited America in 2016, I do remember the fries being that large.

Not in Malaysia though, our large fries aren't as big as that.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:07 am

The Big Mac Double is nothing new. They've been around as a promo item since at least the mid nineties (UK Market)
Last edited by ChrisKen on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:14 am

Kiwirob wrote:
There is no mayo or mustard on a Big Mac.

"Mayo" and mustard are both ingredients in big mac sauce.



Edit: Confirmation. View ingredients & allergens https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/prod ... ollapseTwo
 
bmartino99
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:12 pm

From my time as a 14 year old McDonalds employee, I can tell you that Big Mac patties are 10-1 (10 patties to 1 lbs precooked weight) and Quarter Pounders are 4-1. So meat wise, a double Big Mac is less than the double Quarter Pounder.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 13075
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:21 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
There is no mayo or mustard on a Big Mac.

"Mayo" and mustard are both ingredients in big mac sauce.



Edit: Confirmation. View ingredients & allergens https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/prod ... ollapseTwo



Big Mac Sauce
Water, Rapeseed Oil, Spirit Vinegar, Gherkin, Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Allergen Ingredient:Free Range EGG Yolk, Spices (contain Allergen Ingredient:MUSTARD), Salt, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Thickener (Xanthan Gum), Natural Flavourings, Firming Agent (Calcium Chloride), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).


Just because the ingredients to make mayo are in the sauce doesn't mean they actually make may then add all the rest. I can't taste the mustard in the sauce either.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 13075
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:22 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
From my time as a 14 year old McDonalds employee, I can tell you that Big Mac patties are 10-1 (10 patties to 1 lbs precooked weight) and Quarter Pounders are 4-1. So meat wise, a double Big Mac is less than the double Quarter Pounder.


I was also McD's crew, we used to make Big Macs with quarter pounder patties, I wish they actually made them like this.
 
Kno
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:29 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Then let those who wanna eat that stuff die and there's more America for you.


At 720 calories I think that's a little extreme.

Iloveboeing wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/business/mcdonalds-double-big-mac/index.html

Are they insane?!? Four patties on a burger? Just looking at the picture makes me feel sick. I've never had a Big Mac and have never wanted to try one as I (1) don't like American cheese and (2) don't really care for mayonnaise or mustard.

I know McDonald's is trying to cater to what the market demands, but I think they had a better idea when they were serving the Premium McWraps several years back (which I thought were delicious). IMO, restaurants should be encouraging healthy eating habits. America is going to be in a major health crisis if Americans don't start exercising daily and eating properly. If we did, we could dramatically reduce the cases of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease.

Chick-Fil-A has the right idea with their grilled nuggets and a side of their Kale Crunch.


Why? It's still less meat than a traditional 1/2 burger most pubs and restaurants serve. Less calories too.

I too hate American cheese, and I too don't care for mayo or mustard on a burger. Big Macs don't have mayo or mustard on them (okay the sauce might have some in it but its basically thousand island dressing and tastes nothing like either) and you can get it without American cheese.

I don't care much for McDonalds but on occasion I'll get a McDouble off the dollar menu and tell them no cheese, just pickles, onions, and mac sauce. You basically get a Big Mac for a fraction of the cost without the weird extra bun, I highly recommend it if you like Big Macs, and the calories only weigh in around 380.

Eating this kind of stuff is totally fine with a little bit of moderation. It's the people who eat fried food every day and never work out who need to worry - funny enough obesity is at an all time high but studies from the CDC show that Americans also work out more now than ever before, and frankly every where I go I see people running, riding bikes, packed gyms, it's all up to personal choice. On the east coast or west coast I don't usually notice many obese people, but in middle America and the deep south far too many people look like they have lost all respect for themselves.

I certainly agree that it would be better if our country was less processed foods oriented.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:39 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
There is no mayo or mustard on a Big Mac.

"Mayo" and mustard are both ingredients in big mac sauce.



Edit: Confirmation. View ingredients & allergens https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/prod ... ollapseTwo



Big Mac Sauce
Water, Rapeseed Oil, Spirit Vinegar, Gherkin, Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Allergen Ingredient:Free Range EGG Yolk, Spices (contain Allergen Ingredient:MUSTARD), Salt, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Thickener (Xanthan Gum), Natural Flavourings, Firming Agent (Calcium Chloride), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).


Just because the ingredients to make mayo are in the sauce doesn't mean they actually make may then add all the rest. I can't taste the mustard in the sauce either.


The emulsion of oil, egg yolk and vinegar made during the process is 'mayo'. The mustard is in there too but you go ahead and argue black is white...I've better things to do.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
bmartino99 wrote:
From my time as a 14 year old McDonalds employee, I can tell you that Big Mac patties are 10-1 (10 patties to 1 lbs precooked weight) and Quarter Pounders are 4-1. So meat wise, a double Big Mac is less than the double Quarter Pounder.


I was also McD's crew, we used to make Big Macs with quarter pounder patties, I wish they actually made them like this.

They do, it's called a Grand Big Mac. (and the mac sauce in that contains mayo and mustard too).
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:37 pm

fr8mech wrote:
For the record, the only thing I've eaten from McDonald's in the last 8'ish years has been their Egg McMuffin, the occasional black coffee or an iced tea.


Sausage McMuffin FTW (Although I'm personally more a fan of McGriddles with those "fake" eggs...)

Kno wrote:
Why? It's still less meat than a traditional 1/2 burger most pubs and restaurants serve. Less calories too.


Not to mention the 2/3 lb (Cough...Fuddruckers) or even 1 lb burgers...

Oh, and I've been to place where it's 1 lb burger, cooked (vs. 1 lb pre-cooked which is most restaurants), is served. Throw in a milk shake and the "Mega Mac" really pales. :stirthepot:
 
Iloveboeing
Topic Author
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:02 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Kno wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Then let those who wanna eat that stuff die and there's more America for you.


At 720 calories I think that's a little extreme.

Iloveboeing wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/business/mcdonalds-double-big-mac/index.html

Are they insane?!? Four patties on a burger? Just looking at the picture makes me feel sick. I've never had a Big Mac and have never wanted to try one as I (1) don't like American cheese and (2) don't really care for mayonnaise or mustard.

I know McDonald's is trying to cater to what the market demands, but I think they had a better idea when they were serving the Premium McWraps several years back (which I thought were delicious). IMO, restaurants should be encouraging healthy eating habits. America is going to be in a major health crisis if Americans don't start exercising daily and eating properly. If we did, we could dramatically reduce the cases of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease.

Chick-Fil-A has the right idea with their grilled nuggets and a side of their Kale Crunch.


Why? It's still less meat than a traditional 1/2 burger most pubs and restaurants serve. Less calories too.

I too hate American cheese, and I too don't care for mayo or mustard on a burger. Big Macs don't have mayo or mustard on them (okay the sauce might have some in it but its basically thousand island dressing and tastes nothing like either) and you can get it without American cheese.

I don't care much for McDonalds but on occasion I'll get a McDouble off the dollar menu and tell them no cheese, just pickles, onions, and mac sauce. You basically get a Big Mac for a fraction of the cost without the weird extra bun, I highly recommend it if you like Big Macs, and the calories only weigh in around 380.

Eating this kind of stuff is totally fine with a little bit of moderation. It's the people who eat fried food every day and never work out who need to worry - funny enough obesity is at an all time high but studies from the CDC show that Americans also work out more now than ever before, and frankly every where I go I see people running, riding bikes, packed gyms, it's all up to personal choice. On the east coast or west coast I don't usually notice many obese people, but in middle America and the deep south far too many people look like they have lost all respect for themselves.

I certainly agree that it would be better if our country was less processed foods oriented.


Well, I live in rural Missouri and I see obese people all the time. I am convinced that if the majority of Americans followed a proper diet and exercised regularly, we could lower healthcare costs nationwide and the health care system would be less overwhelmed with people suffering from totally preventable illnesses.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13385
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:57 pm

In France this was a time limited special called Mega Mac that was made to celebrate the victory of the French football team at the world cup in 1998. It was made again, for only 4 days, in 2018 for the second victory.

I wouldn't expect it back any time soon (aside from a similar very short term thing), it would cause an uproar from some people McDonald's would rather avoid.

Burger King has made a come back in France and I wonder how they get away with some things, their burgers are much larger than a Big Mac.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
Okie
Posts: 4176
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 pm

Aesma wrote:
Burger King has made a come back in France and I wonder how they get away with some things, their burgers are much larger than a Big Mac.


May I Retort.
Just specifically what rules, regulations does France have that controls the portions of food?

Okie
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13385
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:32 pm

None (yet). But there are untold rules.

Also unlimited soda refills have been banned.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
AtomicGarden
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 pm

Not surprised, Burger King has the double/triple/quadruple stacker, which has cheese 'n bacon. And BK is much tastier than Mac.

Mind you, I don't love fast food, but if I excercise regularly (3x of medium training) I reserve the right to indulge in grease at least once a week. Besides I never ask for big fries and coke.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 13075
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:23 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
"Mayo" and mustard are both ingredients in big mac sauce.



Edit: Confirmation. View ingredients & allergens https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/prod ... ollapseTwo



Big Mac Sauce
Water, Rapeseed Oil, Spirit Vinegar, Gherkin, Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Allergen Ingredient:Free Range EGG Yolk, Spices (contain Allergen Ingredient:MUSTARD), Salt, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Thickener (Xanthan Gum), Natural Flavourings, Firming Agent (Calcium Chloride), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate).


Just because the ingredients to make mayo are in the sauce doesn't mean they actually make may then add all the rest. I can't taste the mustard in the sauce either.


The emulsion of oil, egg yolk and vinegar made during the process is 'mayo'. The mustard is in there too but you go ahead and argue black is white...I've better things to do.


It's also the same ingredients for making Hollandaise :bigthumbsup:
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1015
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 am

Hollandaise tends to be made with lemon juice rather than vinegar. It should also be a butter based emulsion rather than oil based, otherwise it's not really hollandaise. Nice try though.
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2237
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Big Macs are tasty in small doses, but also messy most of the time. Now they cram in two more patties? Gross.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4795
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm

I recall they offered this same sandwich in the 90s. Back then, they marketed it as the Monster Mac.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7883
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:45 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/business/mcdonalds-double-big-mac/index.html

Are they insane?!? Four patties on a burger? Just looking at the picture makes me feel sick. I've never had a Big Mac and have never wanted to try one as I (1) don't like American cheese and (2) don't really care for mayonnaise or mustard.

You do realize that the patties are only 1.6oz right? All 4 together is the size of a very small steak.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
seat64k
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am

ACDC8 wrote:
You do realize that the patties are only 1.6oz right? All 4 together is the size of a very small steak.


With the calories of a not-so-small steak...
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2464
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:32 pm

In my teens I would eat two big Macs, fries and a shake at one sitting.
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7883
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:41 pm

seat64k wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
You do realize that the patties are only 1.6oz right? All 4 together is the size of a very small steak.


With the calories of a not-so-small steak...

The extra patties only add 170 calories. The bun is the biggest culprit if you're counting.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut
 
Okie
Posts: 4176
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Well after reading about the promotion I gave it a whirl.

I am thinking it has been at least 3 years since I had beckoned the doors at McD.
I ordered the double Big Mac. They do put double sauce and double lettuce on the burger as well as double meat but only one cheese.
Basically with all extra sauce it became an issue trying to control the slimly mess with patties trying to exit the confines of the buns at odd angles.
I disposed of it before half way through the Big Mac not because it was bad, just because dealing with the mess.

.So not being much of a coinsurer of Big Mac much less McD I would prefer the original.
The proportions/ratios of meat bun and condiments was better as well as I can remember.

List was over $5usd, with State, County and City tax just pennies south of $6.

Okie
 
ACDC8
Posts: 7883
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: McDonald's Double Big Mac (4 Patties?!?!?)

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Okie wrote:
Well after reading about the promotion I gave it a whirl.

I am thinking it has been at least 3 years since I had beckoned the doors at McD.
I ordered the double Big Mac. They do put double sauce and double lettuce on the burger as well as double meat but only one cheese.
Basically with all extra sauce it became an issue trying to control the slimly mess with patties trying to exit the confines of the buns at odd angles.
I disposed of it before half way through the Big Mac not because it was bad, just because dealing with the mess.

.So not being much of a coinsurer of Big Mac much less McD I would prefer the original.
The proportions/ratios of meat bun and condiments was better as well as I can remember.

List was over $5usd, with State, County and City tax just pennies south of $6.

Okie

The “Meat Show” did a review of the different variations of the Big Mac and also concluded that the original Big Mac is the better package.

I feel the same way, the original just works.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: casinterest, jpetekyxmd80, phatfarmlines, winginit and 74 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos