Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SL1200MK2
Topic Author

In the meantime.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 am

I noticed in the Corona Virus thread a discussion about being stuck in the house during this mess. I found it quite interesting seeing how other folks are managing it.

While I’ve lots to do here, lately I’ve been a bit stuck with indecision and a bit of anxiety. This has led me to be less than productive.

That said, I’m a deejay and I’ve tons of records so I can learn some new tricks and scratches. There are a couple half-built model airplanes I’ve been meaning to finish for years. I also want to get better at Excel and maybe learn photoshop.

Beyond that, I like stretching, meditating and exercising so if get my lazy bum up, I bet I can get through this and may even learn something new.

At the same time, SF is so empty that I feel comfortable going out for strolls and simply keeping my distance from groups and crowds.

So, with that in mind, I’m curious as to how all you folks are amusing yourselves.

As a side note, even though some of us can seem like jerks at times, I’m thankful to have other aviation nerds and all you people to chat with here.

Aaron747

Re: In the meantime.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:27 am

If I were still in the Bay Area, I’d be driving up to Point Reyes or down to Big Basin and taking some long strolls through the headlands and redwood forests. Very relaxing up there.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Braybuddy

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:40 am

Going over old photos, deleting the worst and re-editing some. I've over 120,000 on my PC, which should keep me going for a while. Plus there are a couple of thousand slides from the 80s and 90s which have to be scanned. Yesterday I started clearing out stuff from under the stairs and couldn't believe some of the rubbish in there. After that there's the attic. Also, the hall, stairs and landing could do with a good makeover, so I'll probably start working on that over the next few days. I'll have extra time too as I've already cancelled a couple of upcoming trips and I'm suspending my gym membership from today.

And, when the weather improves, the garden beckons . . . :D

VapourTrails

Re: In the meantime

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:05 am

I am not at the point of being stuck at home - yet.

My plans are to do some painting, that is, interior home painting, not the artistic variety. House cleaning, secondary-type of cleaning like washing walls and finding cobwebs. Landscaping - my lawn went from a near non-existent looking flat beige mat thing in January to a knee-high green tangled mess of grasses and weeds in February with the fire extinguishing rains we’ve had. The longer plan is to get a quote for replacement, maybe to synthetic grass.. Finish cleaning the windows, inside and out. Sleeping, and I’ve never stayed up all night before, but have attempted it. It’s something I want to try and achieve. This could be the opportunity!

Reading print books, and e-books, but the print might give me a chance to have a clean out of them. Watching Netflix, rewatching my favourite DVDs which is basically the remainder of my collection now. Annoying people with phone calls, emails and messages. Getting my shopping delivered to the house, which is something I’ve not tried yet. I’ve only done the click and collect so far. Cooking and baking.

My perceived challenge is mental, but it will also depend on how much is going on around me. I don’t want to be around stir-crazy bored people who don’t know how or can’t make productive use of the time. Physical, I will need to stay healthy, exercise and watch the weight. The money I save on fuel for the car will go on heating or cooling and home electricity consumption so that kind of balances out. Staying home usually involves saving money though on the whole.

I only have domestic travel planned so I am still planning to do that..

CitizenJustin

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:36 am

I’m not stuck at home, yet. It’s coming though. The city is shutting down pretty quickly. I suspect I’ll watch a lot of doomsday, apocalyptic, outbreak and zombie type films. Such an appropriate time. Maybe I’ll even learn some survival skills.

Jouhou

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:40 am

Well, I just spent my few hours of entertainment time reading about cytokines. I actually find the coronavirus and the immune response fascinating, because I'm weird and boring.
情報

ltbewr

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:56 am

As others have suggested, being stuck inside for who knows how long, wanting to limit internet and TV time, especially the news, will be a good time to do clean up our our homes and lives. Many of us have years of clutter we can go through and prepare to trash. Old bills, photos, books, stuff from out travels, clothes, shoes, junk collectables, and many other things can be reviewed over time and eliminated. Now, it might take some time to throw it out as trash/recycling may be limited, but after the immediate crises is over, one can get rid of it.

Being stuck in your home/apartment is also a good time to do long procrastinated 'spring cleaning'.

Read and reread books you have.

Look at stuff via the internet that may have an interest in but have ignored. Listen to your music or even look for some you may want to discover. Catch up on your sleep.

By the way, this may be a good time to start that diet, as may have to stretch your food out and less likely to get any daily walking or other activity.