dik909
Topic Author

Mail Delivery Between Europe/America

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 pm

With the upcoming cessation of commercial flights between Europe & America, will this have any impact on intercontinental mail deliveries ?

I was under the impression that a lot of mail between Europe & America goes via cargo on commercial flights, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks in advance !

jetblueguy22

Re: Mail Delivery Between Europe/America

Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Mail may be affected, but I’m sure the postal authorities will shift it somewhere. Cargo carriers aren’t affected right now
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

JetBuddy

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm

Cargo planes will continue as before. And probably increase, because the belly freight of the passenger airliners will decrease with less flights.

I would expect at least a week longer delivery though, because the problem is not the air freight. It's the logistics centers where people can't go to work.

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 pm

The effects mentioned by JetBuddy have already occurred in East Asia, so it seems likely they will also happen in Europe and the US. Cargo utilisation is way up.

https://www.scmp.com/business/china-bus ... es-soaring
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

BlueberryWheats

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:43 am

Could some passenger jets still fly without passengers, at reduced frequency?

It's my understanding that belly freight is very lucrative, and some models such as the 777 can carry a huge amount. So, for example, BA could consolidate the freight from a couple of their JFK flights into one aircraft with the belly packed to the gills. Feasible?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. That pain is felt by others... the same thing happens when you're stupid.

readytotaxi

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:33 am

BA have a contract with Royal Mail, you see the Royal Mail logo on some aircraft. I think they will consolidate on some routes and a delay in mail arrival must happen.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

mugler

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:23 pm

I know some pax airlines will be delivering cargo to MEX/CUN and then to US airports since they won't be allowed to land at US airports.

FriscoHeavy

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:01 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:

It's my understanding that belly freight is very lucrative, and some models such as the 777 can carry a huge amount. So, for example, BA could consolidate the freight from a couple of their JFK flights into one aircraft with the belly packed to the gills. Feasible?

That understanding isn’t correct. It generally isn’t very lucrative, but is some nice revenue icing on the cake.

For most airlines, it’s below 5% of revenue and closer to 2-3%. Nice, but not a make or break situation.
Whatever

ThePointblank

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:40 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

That understanding isn’t correct. It generally isn’t very lucrative, but is some nice revenue icing on the cake.

For most airlines, it’s below 5% of revenue and closer to 2-3%. Nice, but not a make or break situation.

And cargo rates have dropped through the basement on some routes; one of my freight brokers came back to me with an India to Canada rate for about a small skid's worth of items for just under $1,300 USD, roughly 50% lower than the normal rates.