mark787

Re: The Herd Mentality

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:10 am

Let me rant here please. 1st. A big thank you to Governor Cumo and his puppet Di Blasio in the great state of New York for panicking the masses and causing a massive hysteria at the supermarket. Oh by the way, bring your own bag because the new law that just went into effect March 1st means no plastic bags. I have I.B.S AND Ulcerative Colitis and even I don't need that much toilet paper. And while we continue to scare the public, why do you fail to mention that the outbreak in China did not start in January but rather as early as October to November of 2019, and since that time, there were no travel restrictions in place until recent, so what are the likelihood that it spread into the US as far back as December or January? Pretty darn good if you ask me. Then we scare the public showing how it's spreading yet we haven't even tested a small fraction of the population yet? As of Feb 2020, the population of NYC is a little over 8.5 million people, and we haven't tested over 1000 people yet and you want to close everything? Soon enough the two amigos will shut the entire city down, subway included and yet we have only tested a handful of people? OMG we have more new cases, it's spreading, we are doomed! Well, when you start the testing and begin to increase the logistics of the testing, then I don't know, wouldn't that mean that the number would increase daily by large numbers? And the media LOVE this because it's such juicy material, My God, the ratings will go through the roof! It's not "starting" to spread like they said, It HAS been spreading, for a while now, and you can't stop it. True story. Two weeks ago I started to feel sick and sure enough one day I broke out in a fever, chills, body aches, cough, and a bit of a heavy chest and then boom in less than 48 hours it went away. But I went to the urgent care 3 times, tested negative for the flu even though I was told that I can still have it. When I asked about the coronavirus, doc says "no you don't have that." Wow, all of that knowledge without testing. So if we do that to people, and if we know that the virus spread at an earlier date then what they are saying because it's logical that it did, then why press the panic button now? The CDC estimates that this year's flu season has claimed 22,000 to 55,000 lives in the US alone and the season is not done yet. 370,000 – 670,000 people required hospitalization for the flu. Not making these numbers up. Its on the CDC website. Why are we not panicking about that? Oh the flu is treatable says the doctors on tv. Wow, and those numbers are with treatments available? My family in Spain told me that they are closing down for two weeks but said that there were no herds at the store, and guess what, they CAN leave the house to buy groceries if they need it during the close down. But here in America, we can go to BJ's, Costco, or Target and buy the whole entire bread section and sleep easier. By the way, bread, milk, cheese, etc... all expire so I hope you love sandwiches. Then, post-virus days...… "why do I have so much crap in the house?" "Lets throw these things away." Yeah, plastic bags are horrible for the environment but throwing away food that was never eaten because you were a hoarder isn't right? My wife doesn't understand why I get so mad with this because she doesn't understand what sensationalizing by the media is. How many of you here remember the AIDS epidemic in the 80s when we were first told that we could contract it by touching a person who has it or if we used the same toilet as they did? There is that old saying that says that history repeats itself, and I think that happens because we just never learn. In the meantime, say bye bye to many airlines, small businesses, big businesses that were already in trouble, and my God, if the food sector such as Chilis and TGIF were already hurting, they will surely bleed now. Thank you for listening.

dtw2hyd

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:24 pm

Different POV, professional slickdealers who buy stuff from B&M stores at dirt-cheap prices and resell online may be the reason for this panic. The guy in TN who bought 17000 hand sanitizers is an extreme case, but there are several thousands like him. What I learnt over the period why nothing will be in stock when there is a deal posted, they are well connected with local B&M store managers and get leads when an item is on sale or in stock.

Jouhou

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:06 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Different POV, professional slickdealers who buy stuff from B&M stores at dirt-cheap prices and resell online may be the reason for this panic. The guy in TN who bought 17000 hand sanitizers is an extreme case, but there are several thousands like him. What I learnt over the period why nothing will be in stock when there is a deal posted, they are well connected with local B&M store managers and get leads when an item is on sale or in stock.

I have located one of these people, he has 150 bottles of hand sanitizer. He's in a state with emergency price gouging laws. I'm going to try negotiating a fair price from him and if I can I will buy them and release them to people for free. Going back to group behaviors, in a time of crisis like this you can take the lead by doing a good deed and show fearful citizens how we should deal with this. I've been giving things people need to them and telling them that when it comes to infectious disease "you protect yourself by protecting others".
情報

Dieuwer

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 pm

How much does a N95 mask go for? Anyone willing to pay $10,000 for one?

Jouhou

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
How much does a N95 mask go for? Anyone willing to pay $10,000 for one?

If you have enough money to pay that for a disposable respirator, you might as well just issue a long term contracts with a manufacturer, which is really what I don't get that everyone is not understanding. In order to boost production, you must guarantee sustained business. I'm not seeing much happening in the way of that, society please stop being stupid. Also the 18months contracts the US gov is offering is... Weak. Workable maybe, but weak.
情報

Sokes

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:19 pm

There are five fruit sellers. Me and my wife pick one without customers. Often after two minutes our fruit seller is surrounded by two more customers while the next fruit seller which had customers before now has none.
Basically we humans are better monkeys.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?