CRJockey
Topic Author
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 am

So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:10 am

So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:18 am

CRJockey wrote:
So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.

Which god?

My sense is it’s not really a provocative subject but will be made to be by religious folks who don’t want their ridiculous and baseless assertions ripped to shreds and as such have the thread deleted. If the topic gets deleted then I think we can assume the moderation team to have a religious bias supporting those wanting to not have this aired. We’ll see what happens...

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by flipdewaf on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
 
cpd
Posts: 6194
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:19 am

CRJockey wrote:
So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.


What do you think is more the question?

I predict this topic won't exist tomorrow.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 3834
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:25 am

Throughout the ages men have worshipped some 8000 to 12000 different gods.(that at least is the first suggestion at Google)

It’s only fair to first decide which one is the right one, before we continue on your question.
Attamottamotta!
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 18547
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:16 pm

If "god" existed and if "god" wanted to punish mankind, given the power that "god" allegedly wields, "god" picked a pretty inefficient method.

Same for every other alleged "god punishment" that mankind has ever suffered. You'd have thought by now that people would have wised up, but apparently not.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:21 pm

scbriml wrote:
If "god" existed and if "god" wanted to punish mankind, given the power that "god" allegedly wields, "god" picked a pretty inefficient method.

Same for every other alleged "god punishment" that mankind has ever suffered. You'd have thought by now that people would have wised up, but apparently not.

Maybe the human form of god, perceived to be in the form of a human is in fact in the form of a virus. ‘God made corona virus in his (can a virus have a gender?) own image’.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Throughout the ages men have worshipped some 8000 to 12000 different gods.(that at least is the first suggestion at Google)

It’s only fair to first decide which one is the right one, before we continue on your question.


I think, Peter, the OP means that "moeder aarde" mother earth has send Corona to restore the balance. So it sens he is right :D
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
KFTG
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:29 pm

CRJockey wrote:
So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.

What airline do you fly for? So I know which one not to purchase tickets on.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:33 pm

KFTG wrote:
CRJockey wrote:
So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.

What airline do you fly for? So I know which one not to purchase tickets on.

I’m curious, Why would you not purchase tickets with an airline that CRJockey flies for (if indeed he/she does)?

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12276
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:48 pm

CRJockey wrote:
So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.


If you are thinking about the God of the Bible the answer is a clear no:

- covid-19 seems to pretty much spare children, the God of the bible doesn't and gets his panties in a twist when his henchmen do.
- he is usually up for more final solutions, so this would at least have to whipe out some populations completely or be out of character for that one.

Best regards
Thomas
....the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 11164
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:54 pm

CRJockey wrote:
So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.


Sane people are not seriously considering anything of the sort. That said, perhaps God's ultimate punishment was giving our species intelligible communication, because we're stuck with the capacity to recognize the stupidity on endless display from our own species.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6070
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Well, I know people whom I consider sane and friends (and some are relatives) that strongly believe AIDS/HIV was a God (Christian) created punishment for homosexuality, and other 'deviant' sexual practices/ promiscuity.

Some have always felt STDs are punishment from the divines, even before Christ was born.

Every plague or major illness is God's punishment to some.

As far as this virus, if so, he is being horribly inefficient.

On the basis of the gross numbers, the number of people infected is low, the number of deaths low.

I'm not discounting the risk in any way. Not in a large scale or a personal scale.

My sister-in-law works for a major medical hospital system. We were supposed to attend their daughter-in-laws birthday today. Haven't seen my nephew, his wife and oldest son in four years, not met the youngest son yet.

We are not going. Both DW and I are at or over 70. Both have limited liver function from the past. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, type-2 diabetes.

According to sister-in-law, the mortality rate for COVID-19 for people like us is 43%.

Yes damned near a 50/50 chance that if the wife or I get it, we die. SiL and my brother are in a 25-35% mortality range.

You younger people under 50 and generally healthy are low risk of serious complications..

You have asthma and use an inhaler - very high risk of death, a child under 15 with asthma, extremely high risk of death.

The more I learn from medical professionals, the scarier it is for DW and me personally.

By the numbers the risk where I am of being exposed to the virus is low. But if I am exposed, I better get my papers ready for my surviving children.

Forty years ago, maybe I'd deserve God's punishment. He had plenty of opportunities to end my life. A few of those I'm convinced only he saved me from dying. Maybe the total is due now.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8917
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Can't we just blame anything bad on God punishing us and anything good on God rewarding us? I mean I guess that's the premise of almost every religion that has ever existed.

The whole premise seems like we are an ancient society saying we are being punished for a drought... We weren't as holy as last year when the rain gods blessed us with rain!
 
User avatar
flyingturtle
Posts: 5750
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:45 pm

If God is good, all-knowing and powerful, then the good people do not have to fear an infection.

It will only kill off the sinners and apostates, the heretics and blasphemers.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12637
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:00 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Throughout the ages men have worshipped some 8000 to 12000 different gods.(that at least is the first suggestion at Google)

It’s only fair to first decide which one is the right one, before we continue on your question.


Isnt it obvious, Thor must be the right god, early Christians thought so as well since depictions of Jesus Christ are obviously the Norse God of Thunder minus his winged helmet.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:06 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
If God is good, all-knowing and powerful, then the good people do not have to fear an infection.

It will only kill off the sinners and apostates, the heretics and blasphemers.

Or god isn’t very nice. Based on some of the stories I’d guess he’s not a nice guy. According to the Old Testament he needs a multicoloured banner in the form of a rainbow across the sky to remind him genocide isn’t a good thing to do. If there is a god it’s responsible for all of the suffering in the world and really should be on its knees begging US for forgiveness.

Corona virus is only suddenly a scary thing from god because fat old rich white people can die of it. Hunger on the other hand only seems to affect poor brown people so.... you know....

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:07 pm

This thread will get nowhere quickly and will get locked soon.
 
marcelh
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:13 pm

CRJockey wrote:
So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.


God doesn’t exist and the world isn’t flat
 
KFTG
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:49 pm

God doesn't exist. Viruses, however, do.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
Derico
Posts: 4373
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:14 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:42 pm

I was just thinking about this topic.

What I was thinking was, that I have no problem whatsoever if anyone is a religious person. I totally respect and even admire faith.

HOWEVER, this is an extraordinary situation where hundreds of millions of people are being affected and many of them cannot cope well with anxiety and alarmist information. I was seeing some pictures online of obviously so-called "deeply religious" people in different countries pushing the narrative about the End Times. I don't like this behavior in public square even in normal times, I always thought people like that should not be allowed as an abuse of the right of expression.

But in the current context, such people who go out in the center of large cities shouting the end is coming should be arrested for fomenting large-scale disturbance. Under democratic rights of free expression, using this right to frighten and perhaps even cause medical or mental problems to others in the community is not envisioned. Arrest them and charge them.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Derico wrote:
What I was thinking was, that I have no problem whatsoever if anyone is a religious person. I totally respect and even admire faith.



I’m curious, why would you admire faith?

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
marcelh
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:

:checkmark:
The world would be a much better place without religions
 
Derico
Posts: 4373
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:14 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:55 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Derico wrote:
What I was thinking was, that I have no problem whatsoever if anyone is a religious person. I totally respect and even admire faith.



I’m curious, why would you admire faith?

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The simple reason is that faith in something bigger than you is healthy in my opinion. It doesn't have to be God, it can be nature, it can be faith in your community, in the strength of your family. I think almost everyone has faith in some way. Faith is not synonym to religious doctrine.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6070
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:48 am

Derico wrote:
The simple reason is that faith in something bigger than you is healthy in my opinion. It doesn't have to be God, it can be nature, it can be faith in your community, in the strength of your family. I think almost everyone has faith in some way. Faith is not synonym to religious doctrine.


+2
Not all who wander are lost.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6070
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:07 am

Derico wrote:
HOWEVER, this is an extraordinary situation where hundreds of millions of people are being affected and many of them cannot cope well with anxiety and alarmist information. I was seeing some pictures online of obviously so-called "deeply religious" people in different countries pushing the narrative about the End Times. I don't like this behavior in public square even in normal times, I always thought people like that should not be allowed as an abuse of the right of expression.

But in the current context, such people who go out in the center of large cities shouting the end is coming should be arrested for fomenting large-scale disturbance. Under democratic rights of free expression, using this right to frighten and perhaps even cause medical or mental problems to others in the community is not envisioned. Arrest them and charge them.


I disagree concerning the 'uniqueness' of this situation, or the ability to cope with anxiety and alarmist information.

Having lived through some of the atom bomb scares of the 50's and 60's, and a few other bad times since, This is large scale, but hardly unprecedented.

The prevalent worry I see in the United States is not over fear of the virus, but fear of having to interrupt our precious lifestyles.

Anything that might mean people cannot go out like normal, take their vacations, etc - is the END OF TIMES. One always has to view anyone who professes to know the TRUTH about the future with a health dose of skepticism, or laughter.

The total numbers infected is very small. Nowhere except the origin city has it approached near 1% of the population.

Now some of it is scary. I'm almost 70, have high blood pressure, a weakened liver and pancreas from years of abuse as an alcoholic, even thought I've been sober for a bit over 35 years. And Type 2 diabetes. My sister-in-law works for a major medical facility in the southern US. An international leader in cancer treatment.

She told me today to NOT come to the birthday party of her oldest son's wife. My nephew I haven't seen in about 4 years.

Because the chart her hospital used on assessing COVID-19 risks puts me into the 43% mortality category. That's a 43% expectation of death if I am exposed to COVID-19 even with prompt treatment.

If the Lord choose to take me home, or my even higher risk wife, It is his will. But I am not going to take undue risks to expose either of us to a chance of infection. I'm not going into isolation as a fearful hermit either. I will take the suggested social distancing precautions since where we are located has yet to experience a single case of the virus. That may change, and I'll take additional precautions.

I'm not alarmist or fatalistic. ff you believe in the Lord, or any other God, you know life holds no promises.

While Donald Trump may have figured out how to avoid taxes, he will die someday, as will the rest of us.

And I've met very, very few people who were really ready to find out for certain at that moment whether or not there really is a God.

I'm not that anxious to have the question settled either.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:36 am

CRJockey wrote:
So, folks, good afternoon!

The topic title is pretty self explanatory. And, spoiler alert, this is more of a provocative than honest question. But I know people are seriously considering the premise of a God-send illness, regardless of religion.

I am just interested in what people think about it.


If you do believe in the premise of that question, then it wouldn't be the Coronavirus that was sent to punish humanity, wouldn't it be the causes worldwide that every year kill:

18 million per year from heart disease
10 million from cancer
9 million from starvation
6 million from other respiratory diseases (pneumonia, bronchitis)
2.5 million from dementia and other cognitive disorders
1.5 million from diarrhea related illnesses like cholera
1 million diabetes
1 million from liver disease
1 million from kidney disease
1 million from HIV/AIDS
1 million from tuberculosis
1 million from malaria
600,000 measles
300.000 from meningitis
several hundred thousand from drug and alcohol abuse
several hundred thousand from natual disasters

In addition to the 500-600,000 who die worldwide each year from the standard seasonal flu?

A few thousand dead from coronavirus is a drop in the ocean by comparison.

It's because mostly those other illnesses occur to the elderly or in third world countries so it doesn't impact the rich people in first world countries. Now events are being cancelled, travel is being suspended it's starting to effect the first world, and society is freaking out. What a joke.
Last edited by sierrakilo44 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 11164
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:37 am

Something light and cynical - George Carlin on germs:

https://youtu.be/X29lF43mUlo
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:31 am

God sent us crowns? The kind with precious jewels and metals or the kind used as a currency in some countries? And why didn't I get any? Does god hate me?
情報
 
BN747
Posts: 7534
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:50 am

God sent the perfect leader, the chosen one...




Image



...and we know God only picks the best people, like every single time.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
Derico
Posts: 4373
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 1999 9:14 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:57 am

rfields5421 wrote:
Derico wrote:
HOWEVER, this is an extraordinary situation where hundreds of millions of people are being affected and many of them cannot cope well with anxiety and alarmist information. I was seeing some pictures online of obviously so-called "deeply religious" people in different countries pushing the narrative about the End Times. I don't like this behavior in public square even in normal times, I always thought people like that should not be allowed as an abuse of the right of expression.

But in the current context, such people who go out in the center of large cities shouting the end is coming should be arrested for fomenting large-scale disturbance. Under democratic rights of free expression, using this right to frighten and perhaps even cause medical or mental problems to others in the community is not envisioned. Arrest them and charge them.


I disagree concerning the 'uniqueness' of this situation, or the ability to cope with anxiety and alarmist information.

Having lived through some of the atom bomb scares of the 50's and 60's, and a few other bad times since, This is large scale, but hardly unprecedented.

The prevalent worry I see in the United States is not over fear of the virus, but fear of having to interrupt our precious lifestyles.

Anything that might mean people cannot go out like normal, take their vacations, etc - is the END OF TIMES. One always has to view anyone who professes to know the TRUTH about the future with a health dose of skepticism, or laughter.

The total numbers infected is very small. Nowhere except the origin city has it approached near 1% of the population.

Now some of it is scary. I'm almost 70, have high blood pressure, a weakened liver and pancreas from years of abuse as an alcoholic, even thought I've been sober for a bit over 35 years. And Type 2 diabetes. My sister-in-law works for a major medical facility in the southern US. An international leader in cancer treatment.

She told me today to NOT come to the birthday party of her oldest son's wife. My nephew I haven't seen in about 4 years.

Because the chart her hospital used on assessing COVID-19 risks puts me into the 43% mortality category. That's a 43% expectation of death if I am exposed to COVID-19 even with prompt treatment.

If the Lord choose to take me home, or my even higher risk wife, It is his will. But I am not going to take undue risks to expose either of us to a chance of infection. I'm not going into isolation as a fearful hermit either. I will take the suggested social distancing precautions since where we are located has yet to experience a single case of the virus. That may change, and I'll take additional precautions.

I'm not alarmist or fatalistic. ff you believe in the Lord, or any other God, you know life holds no promises.

While Donald Trump may have figured out how to avoid taxes, he will die someday, as will the rest of us.

And I've met very, very few people who were really ready to find out for certain at that moment whether or not there really is a God.

I'm not that anxious to have the question settled either.


Far be it from me to contradict you. I did not live through many of the things you mentioned so I defer to you. I would just say that I meant this situation is unique not in terms of danger, but in the reaction and effects in every single country in the world. I sure can't find any other event that has caused this level of disruption in my lifetime.

So given that, I think it the fear mongers going out in the public is in fact pouring fuel. I singled out "religious doomsayers" but it can be anyone really, from conspiracy tin-foilers, to crazy environmentalist saying this is Earth's punishment for messing with wild nature. Anyone trying to cause alarm without any facts in the public streets should not be permitted.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:59 am

The very premise of this thread is sketchy, by the OP's own admission. But since I don't discuss religion, I'll leave that up to Pat Robertson to say.

But I do think that Trump is in office in an answer to Prayer. Trump is Judgement on the Unrighteous. It remains to be seen how the (as some have speculated) man-made Coronavirus may lead persons to a closer walk in Faith.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
tommy1808
Posts: 12276
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:05 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
But I do think that Trump is in office in an answer to Prayer. .


You really think Putin prays? :bigthumbsup:

Derico wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
Derico wrote:
What I was thinking was, that I have no problem whatsoever if anyone is a religious person. I totally respect and even admire faith.



I’m curious, why would you admire faith?

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The simple reason is that faith in something bigger than you is healthy in my opinion. It doesn't have to be God, it can be nature, it can be faith in your community, in the strength of your family. I think almost everyone has faith in some way. Faith is not synonym to religious doctrine.


Faith in the context of the thread is believing without evidence. But you don't need faith to be religious, but believe in something bigger without evidence is historically only connected to the worst atrocities committed.

Faith in community/family/friends is usually evidence based, religious faith is specifically believing without evidence, even asking for evidence is usually wrong. Religion is and effect of the most dangerous glitch evolution has left us with.

If good punishes us for anything, he is just sending more religious puritans and fundamentalists. No God designed virus needed, faith in Gods is lethal enough.

Best regards
Thomas
....the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero
 
blueflyer
Posts: 4267
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:26 am

Dutchy wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
Throughout the ages men have worshipped some 8000 to 12000 different gods.(that at least is the first suggestion at Google)

It’s only fair to first decide which one is the right one, before we continue on your question.


I think, Peter, the OP means that "moeder aarde" mother earth has send Corona to restore the balance. So it sens he is right :D

She is pretty inefficient in her old age... Me thinks she needs to zap a few millions, not a few thousands, to make a difference. She's clearly napping too much.

rfields5421 wrote:
Well, I know people whom I consider sane and friends (and some are relatives) that strongly believe AIDS/HIV was a God (Christian) created punishment for homosexuality, and other 'deviant' sexual practices/ promiscuity.

So your sane friends are perfect or something? I mean, how come their god hasn't wiped them out of the face of the earth for their sins? Who are they to judge that "other people" must be more deserving of punishment than they are? Guess Luke 6:37 doesn't apply to them, huh?

DIRECTFLT wrote:
But I do think that Trump is in office in an answer to Prayer. Trump is Judgement on the Unrighteous.

And by that you mean I get to judge the evangelicals supporting a man who doesn't believe in any of their values save one (power at any cost, if you were wondering) for the hypocrites that they are? I can't say I prayed for that opportunity, but I'll take it (nope, Like 6:37 doesn't apply to me - mostly because I don't pretend to live my life by the bible when it is convenient)
Corona is God’s punishment for the amoral, principles-free, holier-than-thou Evangelicals. The rest of us are just collateral damage
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:55 am

Derico wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
Derico wrote:
What I was thinking was, that I have no problem whatsoever if anyone is a religious person. I totally respect and even admire faith.



I’m curious, why would you admire faith?

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The simple reason is that faith in something bigger than you is healthy in my opinion. It doesn't have to be God, it can be nature, it can be faith in your community, in the strength of your family. I think almost everyone has faith in some way. Faith is not synonym to religious doctrine.

But you use a false equivalence between the evidence based confidences and the religious faith. Religious faith cannot be by done by evidence based confidence, well at least not without evidence...

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:14 am

rfields5421 wrote:
And I've met very, very few people who were really ready to find out for certain at that moment whether or not there really is a God.

I'm not that anxious to have the question settled either.


You cannot prove a negative and there is no scientific proof for the positive. So God is a human concept to explain something that humans could not explain to give humans comfort.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:28 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The very premise of this thread is sketchy, by the OP's own admission. But since I don't discuss religion, I'll leave that up to Pat Robertson to say.

But I do think that Trump is in office in an answer to Prayer.

Who’s prayer? I know people who didn’t vote for trump and in fact prayed to not have trump. So at some point you’d have to determine who’s prayers were actually working and who’s not and be careful you don’t fall in to the no true Scotsman fallacy here.

For me trump is kind of an answer to prayers if the question is ‘do prayers work’, the answer is clearly that we see no evidence for it.

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Trump is Judgement on the Unrighteous.

Who/what determines such righteousness and why should one pay attention to it? Can someone’s moral decisions be left to the flip of a coin or the geographical location of birth?

DIRECTFLT wrote:
It remains to be seen how the (as some have speculated) man-made

I have not seen any credible source claiming it was man-made, any whack job can write whatever they want on the internet these days. I can believe it has been speculated ( I am speculating right here that it’s from processed cheese, that doesn’t mean it should be taken seriously)

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Coronavirus may lead persons to a closer walk in Faith.
for me faith in this context is the belief in something without suitable evidence? What definition do you use for faith? If by faith you mean an evidence based confidence then I would agree many people will see the evidence based confidence of rationally run health services and government advice.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 9357
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:38 am

 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 18547
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:47 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
But I do think that Trump is in office in an answer to Prayer.


Congratulations! :champagne:

That is, without a shadow of doubt, the funniest thing I've ever read on the Internet. Well played, sir. :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
bgm
Posts: 2378
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:00 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The very premise of this thread is sketchy, by the OP's own admission. But since I don't discuss religion, I'll leave that up to Pat Robertson to say.

But I do think that Trump is in office in an answer to Prayer. Trump is Judgement on the Unrighteous. It remains to be seen how the (as some have speculated) man-made Coronavirus may lead persons to a closer walk in Faith.


Aww, bless your heart Gramps. Love how the evangelicals think a 3 times married adulterating pussy-grabber is their savior. Just shows how utterly morally corrupt they truly are.
Less praying, more hand washing.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:39 am

No.
 
KFTG
Posts: 531
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:53 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
It remains to be seen how the (as some have speculated) man-made Coronavirus may lead persons to a closer walk in Faith.

NO, it doesn't "remain to be seen", at least down here on planet Earth.
COVID-19, just like SARS, MERS, and Ebola, can be traced to bush meat.
COVID-19 has been traced to a single bush meat market in Wuhan, which has since been closed.
The more time passes, the more entertaining MAGAt posts become.
Stupid is the new smart.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6070
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Derico wrote:
So given that, I think it the fear mongers going out in the public is in fact pouring fuel. I singled out "religious doomsayers" but it can be anyone really, from conspiracy tin-foilers, to crazy environmentalist saying this is Earth's punishment for messing with wild nature. Anyone trying to cause alarm without any facts in the public streets should not be permitted.


What is different now is the level of communication. When I was growing up, the bandwidth of the communications meant that I have to go to a certain church to hear such a message. Being raised Roman Catholic in a town of under 750 people with 5 Baptist churches, we didn't visit other churches, but I heard their messages at school every day, especially Monday and Thursday.

I was told heard that JFK and RFK were killed as God's punishment for their non-segregationist views. Separation of the races was God's plan, and besides papists were not really Christians. That nuclear war would be God's punishment against the non-believers in Russia, and maybe in the Far East and Middle East. That Judaism and Islam would both be wiped from the face of the Earth in a mutually destructive nuclear war to cleans the world of non-believers.

Once a fundamentalist Church of Christ minister told me something I found refreshing. While he believed he knew the outlines of God's plan, and the path to salvation, the truth is he did not have the one and only WORD directly from the mouth of God. He felt God's guidance in his daily life, but he was not willing to say he was the only person upon this planet that received guidance and solace from God. His reading of the Bible, Old Testament, was that God worked different ways through different people at times in seemingly contradictory manners.

While he had his beliefs at the path to salvation, he could not discount that God might show others a slightly different path.

I have the core beliefs of God with which I was raised. They may be just bull poop. It is not for me to judge others. I only feel a bit of sorrow for those who argue so strongly that their beliefs are the ONE TRUE PATH of life.

Be it a religion, or a belief, or disbelief, in a Supreme Being whom I choose to call God.

Or in a political system, or a leader, or a nation.

I believe the United States provides, or rather did provide, the most honestly open society on the planet.

I've always known there are a lot of idiots out there, who want me, and you, to believe that they only they know the one true path.

Freedom is when I can laugh and tell them they are full of bull.

But there is no freedom if I can lock them up, punish them for being idiots, fearmongers, alarmists, or anything else I don't like.

They are not the proverbial idiot screaming fire in a crowded theater. But we have an individual responsibility to look at their message with a skeptical view.

Unfortunately in my opinion, the most obvious thing the openness of the internet and communications today has made clear is that 'Common Sense' is exceeding uncommon.

Such idiots will not change. There will always be many. and there will always be many who are too lazy to look beyond the message at the facts. Too lazy to form their own opinion.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
BN747
Posts: 7534
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:40 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
Unfortunately in my opinion, the most obvious thing the openness of the internet and communications today has made clear is that 'Common Sense' is exceeding uncommon.

Such idiots will not change. There will always be many. and there will always be many who are too lazy to look beyond the message at the facts. Too lazy to form their own opinion.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.


....sounds like some you know quite well...

rfields5421 wrote:
Well, I know people whom I consider sane and friends (and some are relatives) that strongly believe AIDS/HIV was a God (Christian) created punishment for homosexuality, and other 'deviant' sexual practices/ promiscuity.

Some have always felt STDs are punishment from the divines, even before Christ was born.


BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
Mortyman
Posts: 5775
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:45 pm

CRJockey wrote:
So, did God send Corona for punishment?.



No, the devil and if there is a God he was and is still asleep
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:48 pm

Mortyman wrote:
CRJockey wrote:
So, did God send Corona for punishment?.



No, the devil and if there is a God he was and is still asleep

Nah, the devils a good guy. His kill ratio to God’s is severely lacking.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
BN747
Posts: 7534
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:29 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
CRJockey wrote:
So, did God send Corona for punishment?.



No, the devil and if there is a God he was and is still asleep

Nah, the devils a good guy. His kill ratio to God’s is severely lacking.

Fred


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Why can't they (believers) ever agree on where this devil resides?
Can't be anywhere near Earth's metallic core for the obvious reasons.

What he looks like?
He's red, brown, black, horns, tail, huge wang, no wang, wicked smile and always naked and always carrying a pitchfork (the one thing they all can agree on).

Curious minds want to know...from the experts of course.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6070
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:03 am

We don't get to pick our family, and at my age, I need to be nice to all of them, especially the older ones. Not many left. But I don't have to agree with them.

And I can't expect perfection from friends. I'm not perfect - just ask my first wife.

----------------------------------------------------

Some believers have to have a very limited strict definition.

Once saw a Twilight Zone segment where Sonny Bono landed in hell. In the story, he had been a fast, wild reckless thrill seeker. Devil was in a business suit and put in him a room with an elderly couple showing slides of their vacation. (Google Slide Projector if you don't know what that is)

After about 40 slides and not even getting out the front door on the story, the Devil came to check on Sonny. "This is horrible. I can't stand this. I can't do this forever. It is pure hell."

The devil said "Yes, forever for you."

As that sunk in, Bono asked what about the couple, why was he punishing them?

Devil said "What makes you think they are in Hell? This is their Heaven."
Not all who wander are lost.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3402
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Interestingly (and perhaps not surprisingly) the presence of alcohol in sanitising products had a direct impact on its efficacy regarding preventing Coronavirus transmission, as there are religious doctrines that ban the use of alcohol, even in sanitising products there will be an elevated risk of transmission to and from individuals practicing such doctrines.

Suddenly Halal accredited food is not only aiding cruelty to animals but also carries an increased (although slight) risk of infection.

Fred
Image
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7982
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: So, did God send Corona for punishment?

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Yes...an all loving God sends diseases and illnesses to see how much we love him because if we don't love him back, he'll send us to an eternity of suffering...because that's how much he loves us. And he loves us so much that he can't wipe away famine, diseases, and poverty, even though he's all powerful.

Makes perfect sense!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Clipper727, GDB, JJJ, Sokes, thevery and 35 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos