Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc10lover
Topic Author

How Large Is The Universe?

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:22 pm

"There Is No Such Word As "ENTIRE" When It Comes To How Large The Universe Really Is"
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

frmrCapCadet

Re: How Large Is The Universe?

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:30 pm

My haunting question from the time I was 8. What came after the end of the universe. I think by the time I was 9 I knew it was unanswerable.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

jetwet1

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Douglas Adams. RIP

casinterest

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:39 pm

The universe is infinitesimally small in some frames of reference, but from our perspective, it is infinitesimally large.
Where ever you go, there you are.

BN747

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Beyond the comprehension of any human.

But, were we to zoom out towards the farthest point of the observable universe..Earth would shrink to a single spec of dust, then it will just disappear altogether the farther you go revealing a true reflection of it's insignificance on the Universe's stage.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

DeltaMD90

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:37 pm

Infinite? What was it like a meter on either side of the big bang before it happened? A vacuum? Nothing? Literally non existent? Impossible because that makes no sense based on the "physics" of the singularity, if physics as we know it existed?

I'm sure the answer is even less intuitive and more bizarre than what I just said. It's fascinating.

Not to make this a religious topic, I really am not trying to do that, but as a non believer, I still have a ton of wonder and feel like I'm part of something "much greater than myself..." even more so now than when I was a believer. The opposite is often assumed of non believers, I hear it all the time. But to think that the complexity and craziness of this all was formed independent of a creator is beyond cool IMO

LCDFlight

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
The universe is infinitesimally small in some frames of reference, but from our perspective, it is infinitesimally large.

Yes,I can write down the size of our known Universe, in meters, on a piece of paper. It's not that difficult to handle.

The Universe could be a grain of sand within another universe. We would have no way of knowing it yet.

We also don't have great information about subatomic particles. They might contain a lot of interesting stuff we don't know about.

There may be other laws of physics at subatomic levels and greater than Universe levels. We have learned a lot in the past 150 years about these issues. But there is much work remaining. It would be unreasonable to expect scientific progress will just stop. It will continue.

tommy1808

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:12 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Infinite? What was it like a meter on either side of the big bang before it happened? A vacuum? Nothing? Literally non existent? Impossible because that makes no sense based on the "physics" of the singularity, if physics as we know it existed?

Conventional physics says the question is not applicable. No such thing as a meter left and right of it, just like there likely was no before.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

casinterest

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:30 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

Conventional physics says the question is not applicable. No such thing as a meter left and right of it, just like there likely was no before.

Best regards
Thomas

That is from our frame of reference within the Event Horizon. The Universe has been massively expanding from that singularity , and has overtaken that "nothingness" with the space we define as billions of light years. We can't know what is outside of that event horizon is unless the Universe stops expanding.

tommy1808

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

That is from our frame of reference within the Event Horizon. The Universe has been massively expanding from that singularity , and has overtaken that "nothingness" with the space we define as billions of light years. We can't know what is outside of that event horizon is unless the Universe stops expanding.

Under some circumstances we can find out some stuff about the outside from the CMB.

Best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:55 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Under some circumstances we can find out some stuff about the outside from the CMB.

Best regards
Thomas

A bit maybe, but not from prior to the big bang. the CMB is still 300,000 years post big bang.

tommy1808

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

A bit maybe, but not from prior to the big bang. the CMB is still 300,000 years post big bang.

Small clarification: The CMB as last surface of scatering is from 300ka ish after the big bang, but information about the time from the big bang to that scattering can still be encoded in the CMB.
Do we already know if there was a before to learn about?

Best regards
Thomas

Erebus

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:07 am

tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Small clarification: The CMB as last surface of scatering is from 300ka ish after the big bang, but information about the time from the big bang to that scattering can still be encoded in the CMB.

Best regards
Thomas

A thought occurred to me recently about the CMB that I couldn't quite wrap my head around. How "deep" is this CMB?

We see the CMB light today as when it was emitted around 300,000 years after the big bang. If we, here on earth, dialed the clock back by 1,000,000+ years, what would we be seeing? A radically different CMB picture?

It is said that as time passes, the accelerating expansion of the universe will eventually result in the CMB fading out and becoming lost forever due to it overtaking the speed of light. But I've no idea if that alters the CMB pattern as well.

(I guess it is a little hard to explain and visualise what I'm trying to say here.)

WarRI1

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:12 am

Maybe limitless is the word to describe it, or so it would seem to us anyway.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Aesma

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:18 am

Light travels pretty fast. So to think watching this or that star that what we see, the photons hitting our eyes, took thousands of years to get here, is mind boggling.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seat64k

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:56 am

Let's start smaller. This is a diagram of the solar system at scale, with the moon being one pixel:

https://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pi ... ystem.html

BN747

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:58 am

Erebus wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

A thought occurred to me recently about the CMB that I couldn't quite wrap my head around. How "deep" is this CMB?

We see the CMB light today as when it was emitted around 300,000 years after the big bang. If we, here on earth, dialed the clock back by 1,000,000+ years, what would we be seeing? A radically different CMB picture?

It is said that as time passes, the accelerating expansion of the universe will eventually result in the CMB fading out and becoming lost forever due to it overtaking the speed of light. But I've no idea if that alters the CMB pattern as well.

(I guess it is a little hard to explain and visualise what I'm trying to say here.)

How deep or the thickness of the identifiable matter most prominent in CMB images.
300K or so years it took light to break free of the gaseous dust clouds and matter from the Bang's outer shell (or whatever contained the exploding Singularity...I would guess that all matter still intact and expanding with the leading edge as the first light races away (ahead)..I'd say the matter slower than light makes up the imagery that we detect. In that case, the CMB would never fade away. Fade from sight/detection maybe..but not away.

Just the humble guess of an armchair astronomer.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

KFTG

Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:48 am

Maybe ask CRJockey? "~6,000 light-years in diameter."

tommy1808

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:21 am

BN747 wrote:
Erebus wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

How deep or the thickness of the identifiable matter most prominent in CMB images.
300K or so years it took light to break free of the gaseous dust clouds and matter from the Bang's outer shell (or whatever contained the exploding Singularity...I would guess that all matter still intact and expanding with the leading edge as the first light races away (ahead)..I'd say the matter slower than light makes up the imagery that we detect. In that case, the CMB would never fade away. Fade from sight/detection maybe..but not away.

Just the humble guess of an armchair astronomer.

BN747

Not bad of an idea. I am just thinking that I am in an ingalting balloon and hence there is no surprise is can still the the balloon skin....

Best regards
Thomas

rfields5421

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:30 pm

If I can't walk there - the answer is too big for me to worry about.
Not all who wander are lost.