Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation
Topic Author

Things to do while social distancing

Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:41 pm

It seems traffic on the main forum is down, seems like people don't want to talk much about the airline industry till the chaos settles down.

So, what are a.netters doing while social distancing themselves?

One would think a bunch of avgeeks are already good at social distancing! :biggrin:

I've been catching up on things in my other hobbies such as radios and electronics.

I've also been binging old episodes of https://darknetdiaries.com/ -- the theme of the podcast sounds pretty dark, but in reality it's about how a lot of very clever people, some highly trained and some rank amateurs, navigate the darker parts of the Internet. Besides, no matter how dark the podcast gets, the reality of a global pandemic and the stock market crashing is far darker.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Things to do while social distancing

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Reloading shotgun shells for now-cancelled tournaments and reading the four-volume book by Churchill, Marlborough His Life and Times.. 2,600 pages worth.

flipdewaf

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Well just had a note through to say that the local community functions (games night, village clean ups etc) have been cancelled. There has also been a request for those fortunate enough to not be in an ‘at risk’ group to aid those who are so seeing as my work have just requested that we work from home I will be using my now more flexible regime to help those folks who are of greater years or poor health get the supplies they need as well as helping my neighbours get their essentials as they have a premature baby at home and would rather drop groceries at their door than have ‘dad’ have to perform ‘social distancing’ from his own little girl.

So what will I do? Try to be helpful.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PPVRA

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:11 pm

Nvidia's calling on gaming PC owners to put their systems to work fighting COVID-19

https://www.gamesradar.com/nvidias-call ... -covid-19/

I’m not a gamer but have an old system that might still put a little power out. Will see if it still works later tonight...

Edit: https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/15/co ... ple-terms/
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm still waiting for my company and/or state to say that I NEED to stay home (as opposed to encouraged), so that I can continue binge-watching shows like Superstore, Handmaid's Tale, and maybe read a book or two (have A Warning by Anonymous on my cart, just have to decide if I want the Kindle version or the hardcopy).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Reloading shotgun shells for now-cancelled tournaments and reading the four-volume book by Churchill, Marlborough His Life and Times.. 2,600 pages worth.

I like Churchill's writing style, I remember reading and enjoying A History of the English-Speaking Peoples many moons ago. I don't have Marlborough on my reading list right now, maybe I will some day. I'm currently Kindling my way through https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RXNS1S9 -- I love Cold War era spy stuff.

flipdewaf wrote:
Well just had a note through to say that the local community functions (games night, village clean ups etc) have been cancelled. There has also been a request for those fortunate enough to not be in an ‘at risk’ group to aid those who are so seeing as my work have just requested that we work from home I will be using my now more flexible regime to help those folks who are of greater years or poor health get the supplies they need as well as helping my neighbours get their essentials as they have a premature baby at home and would rather drop groceries at their door than have ‘dad’ have to perform ‘social distancing’ from his own little girl.

So what will I do? Try to be helpful.

Good stuff, Fred.

My main community interface is a local maker space. We're sorting out how to help. Some members are monitoring various projects to use 3d printers to create things such as respirators that cannot be obtained on the market these days. Another team is working with schools to help implement distance learning tools. I'm not sure where I fit into this yet, but am confident I can help in some way.

PPVRA wrote:
Nvidia's calling on gaming PC owners to put their systems to work fighting COVID-19

https://www.gamesradar.com/nvidias-call ... -covid-19/

I’m not a gamer but have an old system that might still put a little power out. Will see if it still works later tonight...

Edit: https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/15/co ... ple-terms/

Seems they should add binaries for ARM so Raspberry Pi owners might chip in.

Regardless, I've posted the info to our maker space group, maybe I can talk them into using cycles to run the code...

NWAESC

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:47 pm

Reliving my LatchKey kid childhood...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:47 pm

PPVRA wrote:

What about those Cryptocurrency mining farms, did they sell those graphic cards on craigslist. Those can be put to good use.
All posts are just opinions.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:48 pm

Our libraries are closed or closing, as is the gym. Some libraries will open just to check out books you have ordered on line. I do have a couple unread books on my Kindle. A sibling joins us and we intend to do a lot of walking. I have a pair of running shoes so likely will do some pavement running. I prefer the gyms indoor track and new sprinting machine. Friend and I are going boating.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

slider

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Going to try to catch up on reading when not working from home.

And golf and shooting. Probably day drinking.

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:21 pm

NWAESC wrote:

Someone on Twitter posted that GenXers were well suited for social distancing due to many being latch key kids...

Erebus

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Review your personal finances, budget if you have one. Rough times ahead for the economy.

NWAESC

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:46 pm

Revelation wrote:
NWAESC wrote:

Someone on Twitter posted that GenXers were well suited for social distancing due to many being latch key kids...

Lol. I saw that. It's all true.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

casinterest

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:01 pm

I think i will watch "Outbreak", "The Stand". "The Island", "12 Monkeys" during this time.
Where ever you go, there you are.

scbriml

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:08 pm

casinterest wrote:
I think i will watch "Outbreak", "The Stand". "The Island", "12 Monkeys" during this time.

Then what tomorrow? :wink2:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

casinterest

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:13 pm

scbriml wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Then what tomorrow? :wink2:

To be fair, "The Stand" takes most of the day.. The Resident Evil series might be a good day's worth though.

seb146

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:27 pm

We have two rooms that need rebuilding. We binge watched a "reality" show called The Circle and we are hoping to find another show like it or (fingers crossed) the second season!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:57 pm

A dear lady from my old synagogue and her husband decided to get away from people by flying their Cessna 421 into Sedona. Very envious of their FB photos :)
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

invertalon

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:22 pm

All my hobbies already are ‘socially distant’.

I love brewing beer, in which I have plenty of grains/hops/yeast on hand to brew probably 50+ gallons worth. I always have four beers on tap at all times in my homebrewery.

I bake breads, love to cook…. Especially low-and-slow BBQ in one of my three smokers…

Gaming (Flight simulator, for one)

Drumming

Hiking with the dog and girlfriend. We take a nightly walk for 4-5 miles which is always fun, rain or shine. I have a husky, so he needs the exercise otherwise he is a complete numnut and will harass me… (but I love it…!)

Also just had a kitchen remodel completed, so still in the process of cleaning up and continuing on our 'spring cleaning'. So plenty to do to keep busy.

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:33 pm

casinterest wrote:

May I suggest Contagion (2011)?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:42 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
casinterest wrote:

May I suggest Contagion (2011)?

Yeah,
Probably will watch that after The Andromeda Strain.

WesternDC6B

Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:54 pm

I am not “social distancing” as I despise these modern, cutsie-pie phrases. Others are “senior citizen” and “of greater years”. I’M OLD! :old: I’m also an ornery cuss. Sometimes.

As for self-quaranine: I am just not going out, nor am I dining with a local friend this week. If I NEED to go out, it will be to run several errands at once, then, return home. I am retired, so, I will carry on with my usual routine of piano practice, reading, streaming movies and some TV series. In addition I will be giving the house a thorough cleaning; something it badly needs. I’m sure the bachelors and bachelorettes here on A-net can relate to that. I already did several 15 to 30 minute tasks I have been putting off. That wall-mount hair dryer is up, the new hoses are installed on the washing machine, and, tomorrow, the mini-van gets a coat of wax.

Given the extra time I have here at home, I am trying out a piano piece in a key I have never played: A-flat. My mind is not wrapping itself around the need for four notes to be flatted without the “b” being there by the note, but, I will get there. It’s Burgmüller’s Opus 100, #22, the Barcarolle.

For the curious: https://youtu.be/wErIYP_-3hg
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

Rossiya747

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:02 pm

I will be reading the dictionary
And maybe attempt to learn Russian and French
As well as deepen my knowledge of engineering and chemistry
And play the oboe
And compose
and arrange Sviridov
And read the WSJ
And some basketball
And maybe buying a few more models from eztoys since they are so cheap now (AIR SERBIA A332 FOR 27$ DDDAAAAAAAAMMMMNNN)
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:10 pm

For me, today the National Football League Legal Tampering Period has taken my mind off real-world stuff...

ER757

Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Hiking - as long as the weather holds
Dog training....lots of dog training
dusting off the old guitars and getting back my chops

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:42 pm

Being honest, I think I'm going pretty heavy on the comfort food.

PPVRA

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:32 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
PPVRA wrote:

What about those Cryptocurrency mining farms, did they sell those graphic cards on craigslist. Those can be put to good use.

I’ve heard they do some work with the crypto guys, but I’m unsure of what exactly.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

flyingclrs727

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:15 am

My wife had a baby a week ago. That seems to keep everyone busy at my house.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:23 am

Work.

My boss already has a task list I need to handle at home. So none of this loafing around chilling at home going on.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

scbriml

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:41 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Work.

My boss already has a task list I need to handle at home. So none of this loafing around chilling at home going on.

My "boss" just gave me a long list of work to do and I'm retired! :lol:

I can't even say I'm going to the gym, because that's closed.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ltbewr

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:43 am

Yesterday (Monday) I tried working from home, but my work relied on someone in the office to process hard copy documents, there were glitches in the agency network, one program cut out for a while. I just hope I can continue to work at home for the next 6 or more weeks, but at some point, my work will dry up.

Do take a walk outside. Talk on the phone or send e-mails or use social media and texting to keep in contact with others. Minimize the time you spend on the internet or watching the news. Do long procrastinated tasks like house cleaning. Go through boxes of stuff you have collected over the years and sort out what you want to keep or not. Read books you have or download some.

mad99

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:50 am

Here in Madrid we are on full lockdown. Nobody can be outside without a valid reason. We are working but will start working from home tomorrow. My wife is a teacher so she’s at home with the kids. Everything’s shut except supermarkets and chemists. Ghost town

Aesma

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:13 pm

As long as I have my computer(s) and electricity I can't run out of things to do/watch/play, even without internet, I have enough music, ebooks, films and TV series to last me a lifetime and more (digital hoarder ? sure !).

But so far I'm working unfortunately, shouldn't last too long though, once everything is fine-tuned there is no more work to do for me as I can't start the next project.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:24 pm

Aesma wrote:
As long as I have my computer(s) and electricity I can't run out of things to do/watch/play, even without internet, I have enough music, ebooks, films and TV series to last me a lifetime and more (digital hoarder ? sure !)..

"Storage is cheap - memories are not" has also always been my Mantra, so´d i got enough to watch/listen/read as well.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

TWA772LR

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:38 pm

I can't be quarantined as I can't work from hone for my job unless they force everyone to stay home and ground commercial aviation.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:41 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:

Congratulations! Hope the relatively empty shelves don't interfere too much with tending to the new child.

I wonder what clever name the world will come up with for all the children conceived during the covid-19 outbreak?

LCDFlight

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:45 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Yesterday (Monday) I tried working from home, but my work relied on someone in the office to process hard copy documents, there were glitches in the agency network, one program cut out for a while. I just hope I can continue to work at home for the next 6 or more weeks, but at some point, my work will dry up.

Do take a walk outside. Talk on the phone or send e-mails or use social media and texting to keep in contact with others. Minimize the time you spend on the internet or watching the news. Do long procrastinated tasks like house cleaning. Go through boxes of stuff you have collected over the years and sort out what you want to keep or not. Read books you have or download some.

Great advice. March is a good time of year to go for a walk, or a nature hike, things like that. All over the globe temps are moderate right now.

I am pulling books off the shelf in case I might successfully read them. Working from home until further notice.

ltbewr

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:20 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Great advice. March is a good time of year to go for a walk, or a nature hike, things like that. All over the globe temps are moderate right now.

I am pulling books off the shelf in case I might successfully read them. Working from home until further notice.

I would also suggest watching your diet as most of us won't be doing much activity cooped up into homes and only taking short walks. Watching food intake, not binging out of fear/anxiety on potato chips and candy, would be good, especially if overweight and for general health reasons. Also conserving food, quantities eaten, will also limit your exposure to going to the grocery store as frequently.

Ken777

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:05 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:

Congrats! Boy or girl?

You certainly won't be bored with a new baby.

Best advice for new parents these days is to join Amazon Prime so you can hav e all the needed diapers & stuff delivered straight to your door with free shipping. Same
for all the other stuff you don't want to go out for.

I'm binge watching and old TV series (NYPD Blue) so there are plenty of entertainment options - but sleep when possible is new parent entertainment.

So sty home, stay safe and enjoy your new baby. :cloudnine:

Ken777

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Ken777 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Congrats! Boy or Girl?

Best advice for new parents these days is to join Amazon Prime so you can have all the needed diapers & stuff delivered straight to your door with free shipping. Same

I'm binge watching and old TV series (NYPD Blue) so there are plenty of entertainment options - but sleep when possible is new parent entertainment.

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:52 am

Ken777 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Congrats! Boy or Girl?

Best advice for new parents these days is to join Amazon Prime so you can have all the needed diapers & stuff delivered straight to your door with free shipping. Same

It's a boy.

My wife's parents flew in from Ukraine to be here when the baby was born. They are supposed to fly SAT-DAL-LGA (No change of plane) on April 7 then JFK-IST-ODS just after midnight on April 11. I'm wondering if I need to change their itenerary with so much shut down in NYC. They have friends there, but they are in their mid 80's.

scbriml

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:38 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
My wife's parents flew in from Ukraine to be here when the baby was born. They are supposed to fly SAT-DAL-LGA (No change of plane) on April 7 then JFK-IST-ODS just after midnight on April 11. I'm wondering if I need to change their itenerary with so much shut down in NYC. They have friends there, but they are in their mid 80's.

IMHO planning on travel in mid-April is looking rather optimistic. In your & their position, especially given their age, I would either try to get them home ASAP, or expect them to be with you possibly for a long time.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:54 am

Libraries and gyms are entirely closed, their on line stuff is available. I find my concentration not quite up to books. I am old and happy, but thinking about the weight of the world on younger people gives me a case of anxiety. Anyway two old friends will join me and we are going to putt putt up the Duwamish in my little boat.

Dieuwer

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:21 pm

I wonder if we are going to have a new baby boom 9 months from now...

Revelation
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:14 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

In the other thread on telecommuting we read that ISPs have waived their data caps for the next 60 days. Maybe internet porn sites should get into the spirit and offer free access to help curb the 'enthusiasm' of the young and fertile so we don't have an epic boom in population nine months from now? Then again, maybe we're too late on that as well. Or maybe that explains why the stores have no tissue products on the shelves any more.

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:19 pm

scbriml wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

IMHO planning on travel in mid-April is looking rather optimistic. In your & their position, especially given their age, I would either try to get them home ASAP, or expect them to be with you possibly for a long time.

My wife's parents are mid to late 50's. Their friends in Brooklyn are the ones in their late 80's. That couple's daughter is in her late 50's. You're probably right about my in-laws visiting NYC. Everything is shut down, and trying to meet up with their friends could be deadly for the friends.

Actually my father in law works now in Saudi Arabia. I'm wondering if it could be arranged to have him fly IAH-IST where he could connect to Saudi Arabia in case there are still restrictions on entering Ukraine? In his work contracts, he always specifies that his employers fly him to and from home via Turkish Airlines anyway.

It's not as critical that my mother in law go back to Ukraine in April. She speaks little English, but could continue help around the house with the baby. The only really serious issue is that in August her 180 day maximum stay expires.

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Revelation wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

Congratulations! Hope the relatively empty shelves don't interfere too much with tending to the new child.

I wonder what clever name the world will come up with for all the children conceived during the covid-19 outbreak?

Thanks!

The hardest thing to find is baby wipes and distilled water. I located an extra couple of packages of baby wipes to postpone an immediate crisis. I found the easiest way of getting some to me is to order from Walmart. They charge nothing for delivery if an item is delivered to one of their stores. Their closest store is just 1.5 miles from my house. I prefer the HEB Plus that is closer, but I can't get any guaranteed dates for availability. They do have a curbside shopping option that I may use if it is recommended that customers not go inside.

I buy lots of supplies from Sam's Club in bulk. I already had a 2 liter bottle of hand sanitizer that I use to refill individual dispensers around the house. I buy liquid hand soap in bulk and have dispensers by each sink. If individual dispensers of hand sanitizer appear in stores, I'll pick some up to have more around the house.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:15 pm

Babies usually like warmish water gentle sprays, could take the place of baby wipes. It might take two people to do it easiest and best.

anrec80

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:31 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Yeah. Fix all the West's demographic problems. We then need to have viruses like this one every few years.

casinterest

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Revelation wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

In the other thread on telecommuting we read that ISPs have waived their data caps for the next 60 days. Maybe internet porn sites should get into the spirit and offer free access to help curb the 'enthusiasm' of the young and fertile so we don't have an epic boom in population nine months from now? Then again, maybe we're too late on that as well. Or maybe that explains why the stores have no tissue products on the shelves any more.

All those young families and couples are going to be booming in 9-10 months. Will possibly create a double strain on hospitals as the transition from the sick and dying will still be occurring.