Revelation
Topic Author

If you thought toilet paper shortages were a problem...

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:12 pm

... think of the deprivations being faced by our friends in AMS:

Sex clubs in Amsterdam’s “Red Light” district were told to close down and long lines formed at marijuana coffee shops on Sunday, as the Netherlands imposed tight restrictions to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The government ordered all restaurants, cafes and schools shut down until April 6.

The measure included the famous Dutch bars selling hashish and cannabis and strip clubs, Health Minister Arie Slob said. They were told to stop serving customers at 1800 (1700 GMT) on Sunday.

https://in.reuters.com/article/health-c ... NKBN2120TW
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

dtw2hyd

Re: If you thought toilet paper shortages were a problem...

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:26 pm

Just a PSA about toiler paper. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7DjUUnejQo

Flanker7

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Revelation wrote:

Sex clubs in Amsterdam’s “Red Light” district were told to close down and long lines formed at marijuana coffee shops on Sunday, as the Netherlands imposed tight restrictions to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The government ordered all restaurants, cafes and schools shut down until April 6.

The measure included the famous Dutch bars selling hashish and cannabis and strip clubs, Health Minister Arie Slob said. They were told to stop serving customers at 1800 (1700 GMT) on Sunday.

We are falling on hard times Revelation you have no idea :lol:
Flying blue only if possible

casinterest

Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Revelation wrote:

It's happening in the US as well. Many bars and Restaurants are being asked to shut down.

Kid Rock is complaining about the Constitution though.
https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/16/kid-rock ... ronavirus/
Where ever you go, there you are.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:40 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Never was a big fan of Toto bidets, for some reason their nozzle can never get enough pressure to properly blast the area clean.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

WarRI1

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:37 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Never was a big fan of Toto bidets, for some reason their nozzle can never get enough pressure to properly blast the area clean.

A bidet, one of the dumbest ideas to ever come along.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:48 am

WarRI1 wrote:

Well, not really. Could be better executed but certainly not a dumb idea considering how washing is better than wiping.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ks-bidets/
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

stratosphere

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:13 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Don't know how you can really make that statement although I only have one person I know that has one but they are not in the stores having fist fights over toilet paper either just sayin..

Tugger

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:46 pm

casinterest wrote:
It's happening in the US as well. Many bars and Restaurants are being asked to shut down.

As long as the massage parlors are let to remain open and in service then we are OK..... We are OK....

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Confuscius

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:19 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

So that's a bidet. I always thought it was a 2-in-1 toilet bowl and drinking fountain.
Ain't I a stinker?

casinterest

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Tugger wrote:
casinterest wrote:

As long as the massage parlors are let to remain open and in service then we are OK..... We are OK....

Tugg

Never been to one, but part of me thinks the social distancing has gotten ahead of the curve a bit. We may be going through a prolonged exposure process.

alfa164

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:54 pm

casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Never been to one, but part of me thinks the social distancing has gotten ahead of the curve a bit. We may be going through a prolonged exposure process.

I think "exposure" might be the wrong word to use here...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

casinterest

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:58 pm

alfa164 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:

;)

Nah,
Must continue the pun.

JayinKitsap

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:36 am

I've used the toilet seat bidets for around 15 years, they are great. Some have more features than a sports car. Heated seats, air dry and blowdown, various was cycles, speeds, and pressures. My problem is they die in 3 to 4 years and cost around $400 to buy. Most have an interlock that prevents the sprayer from going unless there is weight on the seat. I held the seat down and flew the switch. The water spray hit the ceiling - need that interlock - check

tommy1808

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:55 am

alfa164 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:

;)

expect this to be the new normal until a vaccine is available en masse, unless governments have the guts to infect everyone under 40 ~ 50 without medical contradictions with the milder strain of the virus. Two weeks later 0.1% of those are dead, but about half the population is immune, most of the work force is immune..... probably the cheapest way in terms of human life and economic cost. Of course we would need to firm up that it re-infection is not possible first.

On the subject of coffee shops: This is flat our stupid. They should have banned staying in coffee shops, but not the sales itself. Plenty of their customers will just find black market sources, and that is unquestionably more risky that quick over the counter business in places that can be surveyed for hygienic standard. Plus they just handed 1~2 billion or so to organized crime.

best regards
Thomas
....the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero

Antaras

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:28 am

WarRI1 wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

WHAAT?
I am using the bidet in Vietnam. Easy, clean and comfortable, while watching Westerners slapping each other for a piece of toilet paper.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

readytotaxi

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:45 am

I have always liked the warm air dry that some of them have, makes me rise to the occasion :spin:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

flyingclrs727

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:24 am

tommy1808 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

;)

expect this to be the new normal until a vaccine is available en masse, unless governments have the guts to infect everyone under 40 ~ 50 without medical contradictions with the milder strain of the virus. Two weeks later 0.1% of those are dead, but about half the population is immune, most of the work force is immune..... probably the cheapest way in terms of human life and economic cost. Of course we would need to firm up that it re-infection is not possible first.

On the subject of coffee shops: This is flat our stupid. They should have banned staying in coffee shops, but not the sales itself. Plenty of their customers will just find black market sources, and that is unquestionably more risky that quick over the counter business in places that can be surveyed for hygienic standard. Plus they just handed 1~2 billion or so to organized crime.

best regards
Thomas

Why inoculate with such a dangerous pathogen when there are already vaccine trials with much safer alternatives. As far as I'm concerned, the efficacy trials need to be started as soon after the safety trials as possible. Also vaccine efficacy trials could be held in the hardest hit cities and include the most vulnerable populations.

Aesma

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:00 am

For reference this is a bidet : Image

Invented in France centuries ago, initially for the benefit of women... Common in many countries.

Personally I have one in my bathroom (where I have a shower etc.) and not in the WC. It can also be useful to wash the feet.

The Japanese thing that washes the anus is a nice invention, though.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

;)

best regards
Thomas

Why inoculate with such a dangerous pathogen when there are already vaccine trials with much safer alternatives. As far as I'm concerned, the efficacy trials need to be started as soon after the safety trials as possible. Also vaccine efficacy trials could be held in the hardest hit cities and include the most vulnerable populations.

because you need to vaccinate healthy people and wait quite a while to check how many of those are getting infected.... and that takes a long time. Short of illegal human experimentation there is no way to speed that up (which the Chinese are probably going to use "expendables" like Uighurs and prisoners for).
And this is btw what most governments are trying to do in a sense.. control the spread, but don´t stop it, as that is unlikely to work.

best regards
Thomas

flyingclrs727

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:07 am

tommy1808 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

because you need to vaccinate healthy people and wait quite a while to check how many of those are getting infected.... and that takes a long time. Short of illegal human experimentation there is no way to speed that up (which the Chinese are probably going to use "expendables" like Uighurs and prisoners for).
And this is btw what most governments are trying to do in a sense.. control the spread, but don´t stop it, as that is unlikely to work.

best regards
Thomas

So willing participants would be prohibited from participating in accelerated trials? My mother is 83 and lives in the independent living section of a retirement community. How much does she have to lose by participating in a drug trial for a vaccine? She is in a high risk group to get and have serious problems from a COVID-19 infection. The death rate for people 80+ is almost 15%. That's about 1 in 7. Not only that, but people in that age group are pretty unlikely to be put on a ventilator if they get infected.

tommy1808

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

So willing participants would be prohibited from participating in accelerated trials? My mother is 83 and lives in the independent living section of a retirement community. How much does she have to lose by participating in a drug trial for a vaccine? She is in a high risk group to get and have serious problems from a COVID-19 infection. The death rate for people 80+ is almost 15%. That's about 1 in 7. Not only that, but people in that age group are pretty unlikely to be put on a ventilator if they get infected.

half of the participants get a placebo..... is she into playing Russian roulette?

best regards
Thomas

flyingclrs727

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:42 am

tommy1808 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

half of the participants get a placebo..... is she into playing Russian roulette?

best regards
Thomas

I understand how trials work.

This is a pandemic the like of which haven't been seen since 1918. We should be worried about the risks of using processes designed for controlling endemic diseases that are not a threat to the whole population. There is no herd immunity to this disease anywhere in North America. Less than a million people in the US have been infected at this time. There's about 350 millions other Americans who are fully vulnerable to infection.

tommy1808

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Less than a million people in the US have been infected at this time.

that would appear to be on the optimistic side

There's about 350 millions other Americans who are fully vulnerable to infection.

Yes, and some of the anti-vaccine stance in the country is due to long memories back to 1976. You can´t fuck this up, or Measles and stuff will be a much bigger problem very quickly in rather short order.

There is also a good argument to be made to isolate and stamp out the more extreme strain and let the mild strain spread, something you automatically get with the current set-up.

This is a big experiment and no one knows what the best strategy is, we can sort that out in a year or two, but pretty much everyone seems to agree that rushing a vaccine isn´t attractive even if it means wrecking the economy.

best regards
Thomas