jetwet1
Topic Author

Tesla model Y

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Has anyone who had ordered it received their yet ? I know it's a long shot but just wondering what you think of it.

Actually, has anyone ordered one ?

Revelation

Re: Tesla model Y

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:33 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Has anyone who had ordered it received their yet ? I know it's a long shot but just wondering what you think of it.

Actually, has anyone ordered one ?

I have not, but it is a strong favorite for when I finally do replace my 14 year old car.

It ticks a few boxes on my 'must have' list, such as fold down rear seats to provide a large cabin.

Let us know if/when you get one, and what you think.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

jetwet1
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:39 pm

Excuse me for not replying sooner, it has, as you know been a strange week.

My far better half has been working in SFO for the past week, her company gave her a model X to use, despite owning (to quote her) "the best SUV ever made", the Volvo XC 60, she wants a model X because it's (again quoting her) "the best SUV ever made".

We do have a model 3 long range, I told her when she gets back we will go over and test the Y, but I want the performance version....(double checking which forum I am on).

Today I am hearing rumblings of a new battery pack being announced next month using a dry cell rather than LI-ion which is supposed to offer double the energy storage at the same price point. If that turns out to be true then the Model 3 is going away.

Aesma

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 am

So 4000$ over the equivalent Model 3. I guess it's not too bad, I would consider it for the larger space, although it doesn't look that much larger, but if you need to transport stuff it's better.

OTOH the only Tesla that I can reasonably afford is an old model S.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Dutchy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:32 pm

Doug DeMuro test drive.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

anshabhi

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 pm

I will first save whatever cash I can for the impending recession

LCDFlight

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am

I'm not a customer, preferring older European gasoline vehicles. But I think model Y will at least double Tesla's sales, or more likely more than triple them. The talk about women customers is right on target. To be serious in the auto industry, you must focus on SUVs.

Tesla is completely hitting its stride right now. I'm not some fanboy who has been touting them for 10 years. They finally have model 3 production nailed. They can do it all in car design and manufacturing now. The have ONE remaining big challenge - battery cost. And autonomy is obviously a big challenge... but they are tackling those challenges fiercely.

Tesla brand is everything in the car/truck industry. If Tesla isn't the future leader of the car/truck industry then I am having difficulty seeing who will successfully compete. Likely one Chinese company, one Korean company and one German company. IMO. I think the American big 3 will die, or essentially have already died (Chrysler, Ford cars).

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Tesla brand is everything in the car/truck industry. If Tesla isn't the future leader of the car/truck industry then I am having difficulty seeing who will successfully compete. Likely one Chinese company, one Korean company and one German company. IMO. I think the American big 3 will die, or essentially have already died (Chrysler, Ford cars).

Once Tesla start pumping out 10 million cars per year I'll agree with you.

drew777

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

You'll just move the goalposts. We get it. You hate Tesla.

LCDFlight

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

They will start by stealing the top 1 million units per year in terms of profit margin. Hence the truck.

stl07

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 pm

anshabhi wrote:
I will first save whatever cash I can for the impending recession

And that is a lot smarter than buying a new car. Esp. with gas so cheap these days with zero demand
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 pm

drew777 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

You'll just move the goalposts. We get it. You hate Tesla.

There’s no goalposts to move, if they are going to be the industry leader that’s the sort of volume they will need to get to. Toyota, Renault Nissan Alliance and VW have this capacity, and there are PSA, Hyundai, Honda, Ford and GM who can all build 5m plus vehicles annually, Tesla aren’t even close to 1m.

Kiwirob

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

They will start by stealing the top 1 million units per year in terms of profit margin. Hence the truck.

The truck in its current form isn’t going to pass pedestrian safety standards in most parts of the world, it’s also too big for markets outside of North America, I fail to see how much of an impact it will make outside its home market.

ACDC8

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 pm

I watched Doug's review on this the other day. Want to change your mirrors? Play around with your built in iPad and change the settings so you can use the steering wheel dial. Want to change the steering wheel position? Play around with your built in iPad and change the settings so can use the steering wheel dial. Change this? Play around with the built in iPad. Change that? Play around with the built in iPad.

Stupid, stupid and stupid.

I can appreciate certain aspects of these types of cars, but these technology gimmicks in cars is just annoying and does nothing for those of us who still have an appreciation of having full interaction with the car and with the driving experience itself.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

JJJ

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

The truck in its current form isn’t going to pass pedestrian safety standards in most parts of the world, it’s also too big for markets outside of North America, I fail to see how much of an impact it will make outside its home market.

No one believes the specs/price either.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:56 am

I remember reading that someone did a teardown of an S model, and reported that they saw a lot of inefficiencies in the parts and assemblies. The 3, Y, and truck are likely a lot more efficient than the S.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Revelation

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 am

ACDC8 wrote:
I watched Doug's review on this the other day. Want to change your mirrors? Play around with your built in iPad and change the settings so you can use the steering wheel dial. Want to change the steering wheel position? Play around with your built in iPad and change the settings so can use the steering wheel dial. Change this? Play around with the built in iPad. Change that? Play around with the built in iPad.

I can appreciate certain aspects of these types of cars, but these technology gimmicks in cars is just annoying and does nothing for those of us who still have an appreciation of having full interaction with the car and with the driving experience itself.

Do you find yourself changing the position of your mirrors or steering wheel much?

If so, I think you are an outlier.

And you give no credit for the benefits the tech provides like automatic software updates that add features and performance improvements as Tesla learns more about what things people want and what the cars can do.

It's not a one way street where tech took away your favorite knob and gave nothing in return.

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I remember reading that someone did a teardown of an S model, and reported that they saw a lot of inefficiencies in the parts and assemblies. The 3, Y, and truck are likely a lot more efficient than the S.

True, and the tear downs also showed a lot of efficiencies that the majors never would do, it also wasn't a one way street.

The areas for improvement the tear downs found were minor things like poor choices of fasteners, which are relatively easy fixes, and the areas of excellence were high level integrations that the competitors will need to do clean sheets to achieve.

We'll see if Tesla has any serious competitors any time soon but so far they are orders of magnitude ahead, and the Y will give them access to the most popular market segment, the CUV segment.

ACDC8

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:55 am

Revelation wrote:
Do you find yourself changing the position of your mirrors or steering wheel much?

If so, I think you are an outlier.

And you give no credit for the benefits the tech provides like automatic software updates that add features and performance improvements as Tesla learns more about what things people want and what the cars can do.

It's not a one way street where tech took away your favorite knob and gave nothing in return.

Tech in cars provides zero benefit for me, so no need for me to give it credit. Cars need oil changes, not software updates. Got enough crap in my life that require that sh$t. My last and current car has all the gimmicks in it, useless and un-engaging. Counting the days to trade my current ride in for a nice fun car with manual transmission, no silly sensors, basic cruise control, none of this annoying adaptive garbage, and the smallest and most basic infotainment trash I can find :thumbsup:

As far as adjusting mirrors and steering wheels, its not a question of how often you do it, its question of how important the function is and burying those functions in an iPad is just plain dumb.

EA CO AS

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:12 am

Doug DeMuro has a pretty good review on the Model Y:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXDcTH6hPw
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:02 pm

I have a 2019 RAV4. It actually has all the safety features that friend's 3 has. The difference, Toyota as the features controls and indicators scattered all over the place, 15 or more buttons and lights from my knees to the center panel to the dashboard. And NO updates - it will be out of date in another couple years. Safety features are not well integrated, and there is no hope that Toyota will ever offer a redo of the automation, let alone free. In spite of this it does well overall and I like it. Friends 3 just does all that stuff, and Tesla updates and fixes glitches. I'm in line for a CT

Revelation

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:24 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Tech in cars provides zero benefit for me, so no need for me to give it credit. Cars need oil changes, not software updates. Got enough crap in my life that require that sh$t. My last and current car has all the gimmicks in it, useless and un-engaging. Counting the days to trade my current ride in for a nice fun car with manual transmission, no silly sensors, basic cruise control, none of this annoying adaptive garbage, and the smallest and most basic infotainment trash I can find :thumbsup:

As far as adjusting mirrors and steering wheels, its not a question of how often you do it, its question of how important the function is and burying those functions in an iPad is just plain dumb.

I see your point quite well. My car is 14 years old and I have no plans to replace it. When I'm in rented cars I do find a lot of the tech like adaptive cruise control annoying, but then again we should never underestimate how inattentive some drivers can be. I keep thinking 'they added this because of the lawyers' and I find that annoying.

My counter point is it is dumb to dedicate knobs and cables to adjust wheel and mirror if you're already going to have the computer retain settings for each driver and need the actuators so that these can be automatically adjusted when a different driver enters the car. The gain of this functionality offsets the lack of the knobs and cables.

I think the middle ground position is that Tesla has thought through their choices in depth and have made reasonable decisions based on their goals. You may not agree with their goals, but it doesn't mean that they are 'dumb', they are just targeting a different set of goals than yours.

I think their user interface is getting lots more positive reviews than, let's say the early BMW iDrive UI.

What I think is really dumb is the internal combustion piston engine. Wastes ~80% of the energy from its fuel in heat. All those parts moving in different directions all with lots of inertia and mass, and most needing constant lubrication. All those aux systems hanging off the "fan belt" that could just be electric. Really efficient at generating heat, not very efficient at delivering transportation. All relying on fossil fuels that are an ecological dead end.

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I have a 2019 RAV4. It actually has all the safety features that friend's 3 has. The difference, Toyota as the features controls and indicators scattered all over the place, 15 or more buttons and lights from my knees to the center panel to the dashboard. And NO updates - it will be out of date in another couple years. Safety features are not well integrated, and there is no hope that Toyota will ever offer a redo of the automation, let alone free. In spite of this it does well overall and I like it. Friends 3 just does all that stuff, and Tesla updates and fixes glitches. I'm in line for a CT

Yes, this is all in line with the traditional car makers not willing to do a clean sheet EV.

They can keep adding "point fixes" to try to compete, but it's nothing like the whole new architecture Tesla has where all the sensors and actuators are on busses so if someone thinks of a new idea a bit of software can be written and tested and distributed to the entire fleet via wireless at minimal cost.

And the whole new physical layout with the very rigid battery tray under the floorboard means it has amazing side impact resistance, something the current cars can never hope to meet. With no engine in front of you there is nothing to be driven onto your legs and ankles during a frontal collision. Instead the front end is mostly a crumple zone engineered to dissipate energy before it reaches the cabin.

These things cannot be changed via point fixes. So far I'm not seeing any of the traditional auto makers making the big decision to really break with the past and build something that really takes advantage of where we are now and where we are going. As someone posted above they have had teardowns of the earlier models available to them for years now, yet they don't seem to understand how they need to do a clean sheet or be left behind for quite a long time.

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:42 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

To me it's not a big problem, however most menus should be voice activated, that would help.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:47 pm

And what's the obsession with oil changes in North America ? I don't get it.

Tugger

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Revelation wrote:
My counter point is it is dumb to dedicate knobs and cables to adjust wheel and mirror if you're already going to have the computer retain settings for each driver and need the actuators so that these can be automatically adjusted when a different driver enters the car. The gain of this functionality offsets the lack of the knobs and cables.

You just got me thinking that someday such settings will be integrated into whatever "key" a person is carrying and when you get in the drivers seat, even if you are not the owner (the owner should have to enable this), the systems will adjust to present what you need and as you prefer (for example for me, besides setting mirrors etc. also set the dash "brightness" to the lowest level possible at night :biggrin: ).

Aesma wrote:

What obsession? And I assume that you do know you need to change your oil regularly for your vehicle? My only guess is that in America, cars are driven for more miles per person than in France? So we do more oil changes due to driving more miles?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

JJJ

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Tugger wrote:

Aesma wrote:

What obsession? And I assume that you do know you need to change your oil regularly for your vehicle? My only guess is that in America, cars are driven for more miles per person than in France? So we do more oil changes due to driving more miles?

Tugg

Americans change oil a ridiculous number of times. 5.000 to 10.000 miles.

In Europe manufacturers generally specify 30.000 kms between changes.

Tugger

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:26 pm

JJJ wrote:

Why do manufactures require different maintenance intervals for different regions?
In the USA the "norm" I have seen is "Maximum 10,000 miles/16,000 km" and often the maintenance is to be sooner (5-7000) as that is the max.
For example:
https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf ... enance.pdf

Why would it be double in Europe?

And my apologies for this as I realize it is off topic. I was just curious.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

JJJ

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:38 pm

Tugger wrote:
JJJ wrote:

Why do manufactures require different maintenance intervals for different regions?
In the USA the "norm" I have seen is "Maximum 10,000 miles/16,000 km" and often the maintenance is to be sooner (5-7000) as that is the max.
For example:

Tugg

Because manufacturers make a lot of money in oil changes. It has an absurd markup, and it doesn't hurt the car so why change an entrenched culture of oil changes every 3-5.000 miles? Customers feel better and it makes a ton of money for dealers and the Jiffy Lubes of the world.

Maybe specific oil types can make a small difference but I'm pretty sure it's basically a way to extract more money from the user.

Kiwirob

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:50 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

And what happens when Tesla decide not to support older cars? Just like any other tech company the earlier software versions will become difficult to support, and they will stop supporting them, like what Sonos has just done.

If you want all the nice new software features on your pre 2018 S or X you have to pay for a hardware upgrade, this will set you back $2500.

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:53 pm

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make Kiwirob, but it seems like you hit the nail on the wrong end. Upgrading an older car to get the latest tech for 2500$ is something totally unheard of, and a great thing Tesla is doing.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 pm

That upgrade involve, IIRC, a new high end computer. However I do ding Tesla for its full autonomous driving policy. It should be by monthly subscription.

ACDC8

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 am

Aesma wrote:

My car has the same manufacturer recommended oil change interval (1 year/15 000kms) in Germany as it does here.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Toyota here recommends one year or 10K miles synthetic oil. Towing or other severe conditions may require more frequent.

SCQ83

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I am very skeptical of Tesla's predictions for the near future.

Those $100k Model S/X selling like hot bread in San Francisco, Amsterdam or Oslo might be soon a thing of the past with what it seems a major global economic recession. At least the cheaper Model Y seems better adapted to this new time.

LCDFlight

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:25 pm

JJJ wrote:
Tugger wrote:
JJJ wrote:

For example:

Tugg

Because manufacturers make a lot of money in oil changes. It has an absurd markup, and it doesn't hurt the car so why change an entrenched culture of oil changes every 3-5.000 miles? Customers feel better and it makes a ton of money for dealers and the Jiffy Lubes of the world.

Maybe specific oil types can make a small difference but I'm pretty sure it's basically a way to extract more money from the user.

LOL. European cars are known as by far the least reliable and least durable cars in the US market, where such things are tested to the extreme. The BMW or Porsche 30,000 km oil changes are nihilistic competitive gestures that Probably caused permanent harm to the car. We can say without question that BMW “lifetime fluid” automatic transmissions were a fraud designed to bring people back to the dealer for another car. The OEM can’t be trusted just because they want to say their car requires few or no oil changes.

I say this as somebody with 3-4 European cars in the US.

Aesma

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:59 pm

Actually I've no idea of Porsche of BMW high end (you don't get the low end) oil change intervals, these are not the most common cars. The most common cars (Peugeot, Renault, Fiat, VW) are often 30000Km/1 year or even 30000Km/2 years.

JJJ

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:06 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

LOL. European cars are known as by far the least reliable and least durable cars in the US market, where such things are tested to the extreme. The BMW or Porsche 30,000 km oil changes are nihilistic competitive gestures that Probably caused permanent harm to the car. We can say without question that BMW “lifetime fluid” automatic transmissions were a fraud designed to bring people back to the dealer for another car. The OEM can’t be trusted just because they want to say their car requires few or no oil changes.

And that's exactly the kind of mentality I mentioned previously.

A Kia Niro hybrid in the US gets oil change intervals at 7.500 miles or 6 months per US manual, but dealers will try to get it down to 5K if they can get away with it.

The exact same Kia Niro hybrid in Europe has oil changes at 20.000km/1 year.

Olddog

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:02 pm

I change the oil in my car every 2 years when it goes to scheduled revision. My Megan Estate goes on for its 8th year without a problem.
When UK was in it wanted a lot of opt-outs, now it is out it wants opt-ins

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:06 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

I am very skeptical of Tesla's predictions for the near future.

Those $100k Model S/X selling like hot bread in San Francisco, Amsterdam or Oslo might be soon a thing of the past with what it seems a major global economic recession. At least the cheaper Model Y seems better adapted to this new time.

S & X don’t sell all that well in a Norway anymore, the 3 has taken sales away from both and the E-Tron is also selling like crazy.

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make Kiwirob, but it seems like you hit the nail on the wrong end. Upgrading an older car to get the latest tech for 2500$ is something totally unheard of, and a great thing Tesla is doing.

I’d rather buy a new car.

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:11 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
JJJ wrote:
Tugger wrote:
For example:

Tugg

Who keeps a car long enough to need to change the automatic transmission fluid?

Olddog

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
S & X don’t sell all that well in a Norway anymore, the 3 has taken sales away from both and the E-Tron is also selling like crazy.

That Audi is nice but as a french i just can't imagine buying one as Audi decided to keep that shitty name for french market.
When UK was in it wanted a lot of opt-outs, now it is out it wants opt-ins

LCDFlight

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:08 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
JJJ wrote:

Lots of people. If a car only lasts 5-6 years / 100,000 miles or 150,000km (initial 3 year lease and then 2 years for a second owner), it would reduce durability greatly compared to the average car. Then, carmakers could sell more cars.

Average American car is currently 12 years old. Meaning half are older than that. So... yeah, who keeps a car long enough? Most people.

ACDC8

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:46 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Who buys a car with an automatic transmission? :yuck: :vomit: :biggrin:

Revelation

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:20 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Me. 14 years. But since it's a BMW, you end up changing the transmission, not just the fluid. $5500 bill. I could have junked the car instead, but why? No rust, interior still holds up, engine is strong, it's still fun to drive, a lot more fun than the four banger turbo they now sell.

Kiwirob

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:30 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

The vast majority of Americans. I have both, auto in the big car and manual in the small one. The auto in the big car is a twin clutch unit with paddle shift so you can have fun with it as well.

ACDC8

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:43 am

Kiwirob wrote:
The vast majority of Americans. I have both, auto in the big car and manual in the small one. The auto in the big car is a twin clutch unit with paddle shift so you can have fun with it as well.

My current car has a dual clutch with paddle shifters, no different than any other automatic IMHO. Everyone says just use the paddle shifters to "have fun", thats just like saying use the microwave to cook a steak :rotfl:

Revelation

Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:06 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Wow, such a bunch of self indulgent willy wagging!

I've owned several standard models over the years and didn't find shifting particularly manly or particularly thrilling. It's a simple thing to do, so no real thrill in mastering it, unless mastering simple things gives you a thrill. It becomes an annoyance in traffic jams, one that most people would prefer to avoid. I'd rather be free to pay more attention to what's going on inside and outside the car than kicking the clutch and shifting the stick.

As above I've had the same car for 14 years and it has an auto I can shift manually if I chose, and I tried it a few times but it wasn't a thrill so I never bothered since.

Seems like the stick shift is a way for some to deal with a small penis or other kinds of sexual frustration, they just love having that knob in their hands, thrusting its long stiff shaft back and forth...

Anyway, the Tesla Y has no transmission. Transmissions are there just to make up for the fact that piston engines are only efficient for small bands of output. They are basically a kludge that adds cost and weight and no value other than making up for the piston engine's inadequacies. Good riddance!

If you want a thrill, get into any Tesla on an empty street and stomp on the accelerator. You will feel acceleration you've never felt before from a road car, and it'll keep going strong and smooth as long as you hold your foot down. Brilliant!

jetwet1
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:04 pm

I've been talking to a buddy of mine in the auto detailing business, he said the Y still has major paint issues, mostly with nibs (specks of dust in the paint) and pealing along the frunk edges, why Tesla can't get the paint figured out is beyond me.

Oil changes, my ICE cars get changes every 5k miles, I may be old school, but the small cost of an oil change to help protect the motor is worth it to me.

Two of my cars (Jag and Alfa) have full auto transmissions, frankly with the type of driving I do they are prefect, fluid change is supposed to be 50k miles for both, so changing the fluid every 4 years or so isn't a big deal, though I will probably do it when they hit 36k miles.

Aesma

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:22 pm

A manual transmission is fun when racing, or on a twisty mountain road. Also, managing to shift is one thing, but mastering heel and toe is another.

ACDC8

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Revelation wrote:
I've owned several standard models over the years and didn't find shifting particularly manly or particularly thrilling. It's a simple thing to do, so no real thrill in mastering it, unless mastering simple things gives you a thrill. It becomes an annoyance in traffic jams, one that most people would prefer to avoid. I'd rather be free

For me, driving stick has nothing to do with being "manly", its just satisfying (even in stop and go traffic), just like using film instead of digital in a camera, listening to an LP vs MP3, etc., it just enhances (for me), the overall experience.