Aaron747

Re: Corona virus Bailout Bill (US)

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:50 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I am not saying some of these companies are not important. Many of them are. But, maybe they should keep a savings or have some back up plan so they don't have to get welfare from the government?

To be fair, I think a lot of companies are in an excellent position to weather a recession, but not the largest shock to our economy in history. This level of disruption is beyond what any company *reasonably* could imagine

Like I said before, maybe after this mess we need to have a corporate tax of 1% or whatever to go into a fund used solely for bailouts. Or even better, we can use it to pay down the debt so the money goes to good use (and if we need money and have to add a trillion on the debt, we at least erased two trillion off the debt or whatever)

I share your frustration though. I'm really hoping we can emerge from this and put in real change to prevent a lot of the "privatizing profits socializing losses." I have a feeling that won't happen unless we win back the WH in 2020, and even then, who know if anything will pass...

An emergency fund is an excellent idea - especially funded in the manner you suggest.

Given the current state of Congress, it’s definitely foolhardy to think many practical matters can be addressed regardless of who or what occupies the WH.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:53 am

We see where the Dems have their priorities. They are worried about NPR and the kennedy center....

DL717

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 am

seb146 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Anyone supporting these corporate bailouts need watch the dated documentary 'The Corporation'.

This unprecedented greed is mind-boggling AF.

Boeing I'll forever be in love with your 747, but you mofos have got to go.
Our gov't must stop being the bitch for corporations, esp. Big Pharma.

The $60 Billion they want, instead peeling what would be necessary to pay every Boeing employee 6 months severance + any cross training course desired should they want to slide over to anothre line of work and let Boeing sink!

I like many Americans have business (or businesses) in our lifetime and we received no bailouts and pre-Greedy business owners can related to that.

This stranglehold by 'too big to fail' corps has to end or they will forever have us by that nads.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/senate-d ... 1870d62d83

Democrats Are Handing Donald Trump The Keys To The Country

Final text of the bill has not been released, but according to a legislative draft, the new law would establish a $4.5 trillion corporate bailout fund overseen by Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, with few substantive constraints. Some outlets are reporting this as a $500 billion fund, but $425 billion of that can be leveraged 10 times over by the Federal Reserve, resulting in a multi-trillion-dollar program.

I just read this one paragraph and did not want upchuck dinner....

Yeah, quit them before you can't (but I think it's already too late).

BN747

Airlines are being slaughtered. Here is a nice education for you if you can stomach it without upchucking your dinner:

https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/03/24/h ... nd-cities/

So, what? We should just bail out all the corporations because HA suspends flights to the mainland? These "too big to fail" companies, whether they be in transportation, logistics, vulture capitalism, banks, communications, what have you, need trillions of dollars in welfare but we down here who pay rent and buy food and need health care should get.......?

I am not saying some of these companies are not important. Many of them are. But, maybe they should keep a savings or have some back up plan so they don't have to get welfare from the government?

Did you not read the article? It’s not just about the Hawaiian service. The total passengers are down 87% at PDX and it’s that way all over the place.

Some context? PDX is getting about 6,000 pax a day. They typically do about 50k a day. Don’t choke on dessert.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DL717

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
We see where the Dems have their priorities. They are worried about NPR and the kennedy center....

Just read their Christmas list of BS they tossed in there. What a flipping joke. Probably hoping no one would read it. They basically tried to push their Presidential platform through in one swipe. They need medical help and it’s got nothing to do with coronavirus. What a bunch of clowns.

BN747

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:45 am

DL717 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
TTailedTiger wrote:

Just read their Christmas list of BS they tossed in there. What a flipping joke. Probably hoping no one would read it. They basically tried to push their Presidential platform through in one swipe. They need medical help and it’s got nothing to do with coronavirus. What a bunch of clowns.

And I suppose you think Moscow Mitch's Bill was a masterpiece...?

This is the perfect example of why every bill proposed should be made accessible to the public after defeat (does it exist?) or advancing...make the hard work our public servants toil over for all to see. Written by whom, supported by who and opposed by whom.

That way easy spot the worst political animal.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

rfields5421

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:35 am

rfields5421 wrote:
Currently Social Security spreads out payments over three weeks during a month - second, third and fourth Wednesdays of each month. Based on social security number.

Sorry I was wrong.

SS payments are based on the date of birth. I was born on the second day of the month, and my SS payment is in the first batch on the second Wednesday each month. My wife was born on the 28th, and her SS payment is on the fourth Wednesday each month.

Since our joint tax return list her first, being older than me, I suspect that if the bailout bill personal payments are staggered like SS, I would expect us to be get our payment in the last group sent out.
Not all who wander are lost.

KFTG

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 am

So, not a hoax?

Aaron747

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:11 am

DL717 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Oh well, couldn’t have been too big a deal because the Senate just passed emergency relief 96-0.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FTMCPIUS

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:44 am

Well, it finally passed in the Senate. Now we’ll see if the House goes along with it. Everything looked good according to Sens. Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell on Sunday. But when Nancy Pelosi got back on Monday, she saw a huge cookie jar. Pelosi’s majority whip, James Clyburn, the South Carolina Democrat and savior of Joe Biden’s presidential campaign, explained it all by saying coronavirus politics offered his fellow Democrats “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.” They decided to ram their wish list through because they assumed nobody would question it because of the emergency status and media backing. The Dems shamelessly held up funding for strictly political purposes. This is a partial list:

Bail out USPS
New emission mandates for airlines
Require greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights
Student loan forgiveness
Report corporate pay stats by race
New corporate board diversity rules
Early voting requirements for all states
Same day voter registrations
New subsidies for retirement plans for community newspaper workers
Major expansion of collective bargaining rights for Federal workers
Risk limiting election results
Expansion of minority banks and minority credit unions
2020 census reforms relating to citizenship status of students
Requiring availability of Internet for voter registration
Expansion of wind and solar tax credits
Bring back Obama phone program
$35,000,000 for the Kennedy center (which us supposed to be privately funded)
$150,000,00 National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities (they originally wanted $600,000,000)
$50,000,000 for the Institute of museum and library Services
$75,000,000 for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
$25,000,004 D.C.’s Kennedy Center

Few of these have anything to do with Coronaviris or protecting workers. Democrats have no shame.

How many of these did the Republicans cave on? We'll soon know. Copy of it is now available.

P.S. I'm sure there are (or should be) restrictions re: how companies can use funds.

Aaron747

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:29 am

As usual the libertarians are already pissed:

And they cheered, because leaders assured them that the corporatism was good and necessary and bipartisan. - Rep. Justin Amash I-Michigan

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/ ... 18689?s=21

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:32 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
Well, it finally passed in the Senate. Now we’ll see if the House goes along with it. Everything looked good according to Sens. Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell on Sunday. But when Nancy Pelosi got back on Monday, she saw a huge cookie jar. Pelosi’s majority whip, James Clyburn, the South Carolina Democrat and savior of Joe Biden’s presidential campaign, explained it all by saying coronavirus politics offered his fellow Democrats “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.” They decided to ram their wish list through because they assumed nobody would question it because of the emergency status and media backing. The Dems shamelessly held up funding for strictly political purposes. This is a partial list:

Bail out USPS
Student loan forgiveness
$150,000,00 National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities (they originally wanted $600,000,000)

Few of these have anything to do with Coronaviris or protecting workers. Democrats have no shame.

How many of these did the Republicans cave on? We'll soon know. Copy of it is now available.

P.S. I'm sure there are (or should be) restrictions re: how companies can use funds.

The president should read the bill and the sickening things the Democrats are trying to slip in on a live broadcast and do a line item veto.

rfields5421

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:51 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:

I am completely dumbfounded by the logic of call a Ronald Reagan administration program to provide low or no cost phones to the lowest income people in the country becomes a 'bad' program after President Obama was elected.

Even the move to expand the program to include cell phones service charges to people like Disabled Veterans, SSI disability recipients - is a Republican supported initiative. Lobbying heavily, the G.W. Bush administration got it pushed through in 2007 to start in 2008. The program NEVER paid for the phones, only for reduced, very limited, voice plans, no data.

Taxpayers do not pay ANYTHING for this plan. It was funded by the Universal Service Fee in place on all phone service since 1984. The move from land line to cell phones did increase the program costs. Other things this program pays for include the CapTel phones for the deaf, and such. Taxpayers do pay some costs for administering the program.

Yes, some cell phone companies did provide cheaper model phones to people who signed up with them.

Initally only TracFone was allowed to get funds from the program for cell phone service. TracFone was then and still is a wholly owned property of América Móvil. That is a Mexican telecommunications company with nearly as many subscribers/ customers as Verizon and AT&T combined.

It was founded and guided to great growth by Carlos Slim. One of the top ten richest men on the planet. His net worth passed Warren Buffett in 2007. He is also friendly with the Bush family of Texas, and a supporter of many Republican candidates.

The only thing the Obama administration had to do with the program was to open up the program to other service providers.

Today, as in the early years of the program, the phones are an inducement to get people to buy fancier phones, pay for higher level service plans. Though most of the carriers now put the people eligible for the program on a pre-paid basis. They get so many minutes of voice calls subsidized for a minimum fee each month. And pay full price for anything over that. The amount of voice minutes per month grew from 500 to 750 on Dec 1, 2017, and 1,000 on Dec 1, 2018.

Though we all know how phone companies advertise and manipulate 'contracts' and 'pre-pay' plan features to make us believe we are getting something for nothing.

In 2016, the program was expanded to include $9.25 per month subsided broadband data as an option.

The total amount the program pays for any family is $9.25 per month for voice, and $9.25 for data if available - directly to the service provider. On Dec 1, 2019, the payment amount was dropped to $7.25 per family.for voice and still $9.25 for data. On Dec 1, 2020, it was supposed to drop to $5.25 for voice, and on Dec 1, 2021 all subsidies for voice would be phased out, unless there was only one carrier offering the program in an area. Even a land line company available would make a family ineligible for the voice subsidy.

All this bill did is stop the rollbacks in support for voice service.

Aesma

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:58 am

For the money going to people, will everyone get it, or do you have to show that you've been hurt by a lockdown ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DL717

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:

I am completely dumbfounded by the logic of call a Ronald Reagan administration program to provide low or no cost phones to the lowest income people in the country becomes a 'bad' program after President Obama was elected.

Even the move to expand the program to include cell phones service charges to people like Disabled Veterans, SSI disability recipients - is a Republican supported initiative. Lobbying heavily, the G.W. Bush administration got it pushed through in 2007 to start in 2008. The program NEVER paid for the phones, only for reduced, very limited, voice plans, no data.

Taxpayers do not pay ANYTHING for this plan. It was funded by the Universal Service Fee in place on all phone service since 1984. The move from land line to cell phones did increase the program costs. Other things this program pays for include the CapTel phones for the deaf, and such. Taxpayers do pay some costs for administering the program.

Yes, some cell phone companies did provide cheaper model phones to people who signed up with them.

Initally only TracFone was allowed to get funds from the program for cell phone service. TracFone was then and still is a wholly owned property of América Móvil. That is a Mexican telecommunications company with nearly as many subscribers/ customers as Verizon and AT&T combined.

It was founded and guided to great growth by Carlos Slim. One of the top ten richest men on the planet. His net worth passed Warren Buffett in 2007. He is also friendly with the Bush family of Texas, and a supporter of many Republican candidates.

The only thing the Obama administration had to do with the program was to open up the program to other service providers.

Today, as in the early years of the program, the phones are an inducement to get people to buy fancier phones, pay for higher level service plans. Though most of the carriers now put the people eligible for the program on a pre-paid basis. They get so many minutes of voice calls subsidized for a minimum fee each month. And pay full price for anything over that. The amount of voice minutes per month grew from 500 to 750 on Dec 1, 2017, and 1,000 on Dec 1, 2018.

Though we all know how phone companies advertise and manipulate 'contracts' and 'pre-pay' plan features to make us believe we are getting something for nothing.

In 2016, the program was expanded to include $9.25 per month subsided broadband data as an option.

The total amount the program pays for any family is $9.25 per month for voice, and $9.25 for data if available - directly to the service provider. On Dec 1, 2019, the payment amount was dropped to $7.25 per family.for voice and still $9.25 for data. On Dec 1, 2020, it was supposed to drop to $5.25 for voice, and on Dec 1, 2021 all subsidies for voice would be phased out, unless there was only one carrier offering the program in an area. Even a land line company available would make a family ineligible for the voice subsidy.

I’m pretty sure if you have a phone and pay the USF fee, you’re a TAXPAYER!

DL717

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

KFTG wrote:
Recommend all US taxpayers file their taxes now if your 2019 AGI is lower than that of 2018. The IRS will look at the most recent AGI on file.

We paid ours a month ago. Never understood people who wait until the last second to line up at the post office on April 15.

seb146

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:51 pm

So the same MAGA fans are complaining that people need to be paid for providing a service. These same people demand we listen to both sides of an issue but do not want the "liberal" press to be heard.

Across the West, public radio is a supplier of information and entertainment for those who do not have access to cable, satellite, or internet. Also, public radio stations provide a resource for people wanting to get into electrical based jobs and communication based jobs. When I was studying broadcasting, I gave live broadcasts on an NPR network station. I also had to learn about keeping electronics online, wiring, line of sight communications. And, jobs will go away if public radio does.

The Post Office is written into the Constitution. Another way of saying how much Republicans hate the Constitution and our laws.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Tugger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 pm

DL717 wrote:
rfields5421 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:

I’m pretty sure if you have a phone and pay the USF fee, you’re a TAXPAYER!

And I am hoping you are intentionally misinterpreting the poster's intent. Your posts here show you are pretty competent, your posts are pretty good. If not then you do not understand the separation between required/imposed fees covering a cost for the public good versus the public treasury paying directly for something. The fee is paid by users of the needed "good" instead of everyone including that that don't. The Republicans specifically supported the required fee structure so that the funding is there and not adding a burden onto the public treasury. But I know these things can be complex, hopefully my explanation is helpful.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Tugger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
This is a partial list:

Bail out USPS
Student loan forgiveness

That is a pretty ridiculous list of "stuff" and do be aware that both parties are stuffing "favorites" into the bill. NO one can say either party has had any fiscal responsibility lately. It is utter crap.

Quite frankly I would rather this not pass and something leaner, addressing only the major, publicly presented "priorities" to be implemented. Grab bags filled with sh!t need to stop. Using emergencies for sh!tty spending and "I want this to please my party" needs to stop.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:54 pm

I was kicking myself for not buying cruise stock. I had my eye set on buying NCLH stock (100 shares at about $8-$9, just for the sake of enjoying onboard credit). The stock rose to double the price in a matter of days (thinking the cruise lines would be able to tap into the bailout), but something still told me that I had made the right choice. Lo and behold: cruise lines are NOT eligible for the bailout and if the House makes no amendments, I can see cruise line stocks falling back to their lows of the crisis again, especially if Europe and the US fail to make any progress in the coming weeks (summer approaches and Europe cruises could be canceled).

Still, the fact that I could have been able to double my money in a matter of days still stings, but hey...that's life.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

lugie

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:36 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
The president should read the bill and the sickening things the Democrats are trying to slip in on a live broadcast and do a line item veto.

"Sickening"?? Holy sh*t that's pathetic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How dare they fund cultural purposes too and not just multi-billion dollar purposes??
How dare they take concerns of students into considerations and not just those of CEOs??
How dare they impose even the slightest conditions (to potentially re-internalize negative environmental externalities) on the aviation industry which in turn receives billions in cold hard bailout cash??

Oh, the humanity... :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

TTailedTiger

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:47 pm

lugie wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

How dare they fund cultural purposes too and not just multi-billion dollar purposes??
How dare they take concerns of students into considerations and not just those of CEOs??
How dare they impose even the slightest conditions (to potentially re-internalize negative environmental externalities) on the aviation industry which in turn receives billions in cold hard bailout cash??

You know what I'm talking about. The money for illegal immigrants, millions for the kennedy center, NPR, etc. They are supposed to be focused on helping Americans during a time of crisis. Obviously that isn't their priority.

seb146

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:55 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
lugie wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You know what I'm talking about. The money for illegal immigrants, millions for the kennedy center, NPR, etc. They are supposed to be focused on helping Americans during a time of crisis. Obviously that isn't their priority.

Public broadcasting is an actual resource for families at this time. Yes, it does keep rural areas informed (not that they choose NPR because they have been conditioned to believe they are "fake news") but public broadcasting is over-the-air (free) and broadcasts various learning shows. Cancelling public broadcasting is another right wing ploy to keep the general public stupid. Defund schools, defund public broadcasting, defund anything where learning and education and critical thinking is involved.

What money is going to illegals?

FTMCPIUS

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:24 pm

seb146 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
lugie wrote:

Public broadcasting is an actual resource for families at this time. Yes, it does keep rural areas informed (not that they choose NPR because they have been conditioned to believe they are "fake news") but public broadcasting is over-the-air (free) and broadcasts various learning shows. Cancelling public broadcasting is another right wing ploy to keep the general public stupid. Defund schools, defund public broadcasting, defund anything where learning and education and critical thinking is involved.

NPR is a one-sided 'resource.' At this moment Nancy Pelosi is at the House podium justifying why the Dems are pigs at the trough, even though a lot of the funding has NOTHING to do with Covid-19. And they are proud of this!

zhiao

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Aesma wrote:
For the money going to people, will everyone get it, or do you have to show that you've been hurt by a lockdown ?

90% will get $1200 plus $500 for each child, one time. In addition, anyone who's unemployed will get a weekly check of around $1000. This will last 3 months. Not bad for a country which some say doesn't have a safety net lol.

Aesma

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 pm

It's more like an emergency parachute, and has been deployed days after some people have already crashed to the ground.

Wasn't there talk about paying for salaries so that companies don't have to lay off ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:15 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Yes...have him do something that's already been ruled unconstitutional. What could possibly go wrong?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

KFTG

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:27 pm

DL717 wrote:
KFTG wrote:
We paid ours a month ago. Never understood people who wait until the last second to line up at the post office on April 15.

My '18 AGI was in excess of 150k and my '19 less than 150k - so if we'd have waited to file until July, we would not have received any stimulus money.

zhiao

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:09 am

Aesma wrote:
It's more like an emergency parachute, and has been deployed days after some people have already crashed to the ground.

Wasn't there talk about paying for salaries so that companies don't have to lay off ?

Yes there are loans given to small businesses which are forgiven if they maintain the payroll. Don’t have exact details

seb146

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:17 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

NPR is a one-sided 'resource.' At this moment Nancy Pelosi is at the House podium justifying why the Dems are pigs at the trough, even though a lot of the funding has NOTHING to do with Covid-19. And they are proud of this!

Fox is a one-sided "resource." At this moment The Republican Party is at the podium justifying why Republican pigs are at the trough saying death is a great and patriotic thing.

This is why we need more than Fox as a media outlet.

Waterbomber2

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 am

KFTG wrote:
DL717 wrote:
KFTG wrote:

My '18 AGI was in excess of 150k and my '19 less than 150k - so if we'd have waited to file until July, we would not have received any stimulus money.

I find this rather absurd: explain to me the mechanics of a person earning 3K a week worrying about getting a one time stimulus of 2 days' worth of pay?
Someone who's so detailed about money should also have saved himself a proper cushion.
I'm even wondering if you should be getting any stimulus at all and if it wouldn't be better spent on someone who really needs it, for instance undr the form of a Coronavirus voucher to be redeemed at any hospital in the USA (cf kid in California died after being rejected by a hospital because uninsured)?

1000$ a week for unemployed people is also rather absurd. Most people don't make half that and in socialist Europe you'd be glad to take home 1/3rd of that and we won't even talk about communist China.

In this situation, the United States turns out to be quite the socialism that most didn't expect it to be.
I don't think that it was necessary to be so generous, but I hope that the poor and unemployed in the U.S. will take advantage of this to pull themselves up.

Also, I wonder if stock markets realise that the American economy will be paying for this bill?
If not through taxes and depressed government spending in the coming years, through inflation.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:10 am

seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Fox is a one-sided "resource." At this moment The Republican Party is at the podium justifying why Republican pigs are at the trough saying death is a great and patriotic thing.

Wow, just wow. A lot of Americans believed that dying was a patriotic thing and you have them to thank for the freedoms you enjoy. What a way to disrespect them and all they gave by being all too happy to hand over your rights to power hungry mayors and governors. If you're scared to go out, then stay in. You're protected that way. No one has any right to tell me or any other free citizen that I can't enjoy my my life and liberties in this country.

Aaron747

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:22 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:

Wow, just wow. A lot of Americans believed that dying was a patriotic thing and you have them to thank for the freedoms you enjoy. What a way to disrespect them and all they gave by being all too happy to hand over your rights to power hungry mayors and governors. If you're scared to go out, then stay in. You're protected that way. No one has any right to tell me or any other free citizen that I can't enjoy my my life and liberties in this country.

There’s that denial fantasy that the 10th Amendment and state police powers don’t exist...again. If you feel so strongly about this stuff there are some ranchers out west who would gladly take you in their ranks - if you don’t mind becoming a person of interest to the Feeb.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:34 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
seb146 wrote:

There’s that denial fantasy that the 10th Amendment and state police powers don’t exist...again. If you feel so strongly about this stuff there are some ranchers out west who would gladly take you in their ranks - if you don’t mind becoming a person of interest to the Feeb.

You're the only one who keeps bringing that up. You would think these governors and mayors would be citing it. If you like dictatorships then that's fine. But it's not what the US is about. Funny how liberals seem to love to the 10th amendment and hate the 2nd. I wonder why that is...

Aaron747

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:42 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You're the only one who keeps bringing that up. You would think these governors and mayors would be citing it. If you like dictatorships then that's fine. But it's not what the US is about. Funny how liberals seem to love to the 10th amendment and hate the 2nd. I wonder why that is...

Not a lib, but whatever boomer. They don’t need to cite it because they already have a state constitution - and it’s only brought up here because you keep on with the silly fantasy.

There’s nothing ‘dictatorship’ about it - you are ascribing overwrought emotional values to something that is a plain concept in common law going back to ye olde England the framers borrowed from heavily. Recommend reading the Federalist papers again if you’re bored at home - start with No41 and Hamilton’s ‘report on manufactures’.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:55 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not a lib, but whatever boomer. They don’t need to cite it because they already have a state constitution - and it’s only brought up here because you keep on with the silly fantasy.

There’s nothing ‘dictatorship’ about it - you are ascribing overwrought emotional values to something that is a plain concept in common law going back to ye olde England the framers borrowed from heavily. Recommend reading the Federalist papers again if you’re bored at home - start with No41 and Hamilton’s ‘report on manufactures’.

Nice try. I'm 30.

scbriml

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:37 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

What bothers you more - that governors are implementing these measures to protect their citizens and to try and ensure the medical services are not overwhelmed, or that their Democrats?

You're being asked to stay indoors for a few weeks. You're glorifying people who made the ultimate sacrifice at a time of war, but you're outraged at being asked to stay at home and temporarily sacrifice your some of your freedom. Maybe you need to grow a pair?

TTailedTiger wrote:
You would think these governors and mayors would be citing it.

Maybe they have a reasonable expectation that you understand the constitution? Perhaps they're wrong.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:46 am

scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

What bothers you more - that governors are implementing these measures to protect their citizens and to try and ensure the medical services are not overwhelmed, or that their Democrats?

You're being asked to stay indoors for a few weeks. You're glorifying people who made the ultimate sacrifice at a time of war, but you're outraged at being asked to stay at home and temporarily sacrifice your some of your freedom. Maybe you need to grow a pair?

TTailedTiger wrote:

Maybe they have a reasonable expectation that you understand the constitution? Perhaps they're wrong.

Not at all. Dewine is a republican and he needs to be run out of the country as well. Again, if you are scared of being infected, stay in. No one is forcing you to go out. I respect your rights. Why can't you respect mine? You are picking who wins and who loses by deciding who is "essential". The governors and mayors are picking which businesses fail and which ones survive. Thankfully my hair stylist was willing to make a house call and I gave her a four figure tip since the mayor doesn't think much of her business. It's absolutely sickening.

Aaron747

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:59 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
scbriml wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

TTailedTiger wrote:

Not at all. Dewine is a republican and he needs to be run out of the country as well. Again, if you are scared of being infected, stay in. No one is forcing you to go out. I respect your rights. Why can't you respect mine? You are picking who wins and who loses by deciding who is "essential". The governors and mayors are picking which businesses fail and which ones survive. Thankfully my hair stylist was willing to make a house call and I gave her a four figure tip since the mayor doesn't think much of her business. It's absolutely sickening.

You should file an official protest at your county office and refuse to pay taxes if you’re so ‘sickened’.

DeWine is running an almost 80% approval rating on COVID-19 response, and Pete Baker and Larry Hogan are not doing too shabby either despite apolitically deferring to expert medical opinion on these matters.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/con ... poll-shows

Perhaps one ought to not stick their nose into the crisis management business of states they don’t reside in who like their governors just fine. And 30?? Coulda fooled me - though I suppose that age is more appropriate to the level of emotional control on display.

TTailedTiger

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
scbriml wrote:

You should file an official protest at your county office and refuse to pay taxes if you’re so ‘sickened’.

DeWine is running an almost 80% approval rating on COVID-19 response, and Pete Baker and Larry Hogan are not doing too shabby either despite apolitically deferring to expert medical opinion on these matters.

Perhaps one ought to not stick their nose into the crisis management business of states they don’t reside in who like their governors just fine. And 30?? Coulda fooled me - though I suppose that age is more appropriate to the level of emotional control on display.

People who don't pay their municipal taxes keeps my business going. Although most of my business is out of state. I wouldn't recommend your advice of not paying property taxes unless you want to find me at your doorstep with an offer before I ask the comptroller for a tax deed...

Aaron747

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:18 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

People who don't pay their municipal taxes keeps my business going. Although most of my business is out of state. I wouldn't recommend your advice of not paying property taxes unless you want to find me at your doorstep with an offer before I ask the comptroller for a tax deed...

Ah, sounds like you’re A-okay with our system after all. Glad to hear it. :dollarsign: :scratchchin:

rfields5421

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:57 pm

Tugger wrote:
And I am hoping you are intentionally misinterpreting the poster's intent.

Maybe it hit a sore spot, and I should not have gone off on such a rant.

Actually I believe t'm spot on re: the poster's intent.

Mindlessly copying a 'hitlist' of unfavored targets of some people without the slightest bit of research into what the list really is.

It most certainly is not a list of ALL THE PORK in the bill.

First, it is not a list of Democratic party, or Democratic senate additions to the spending bill.

Second, many of the items on the list are directly focused on financial problems created by the virus.

i.e. - the Kennedy Center - the money is only allowed to be drawn to offset funding the center lost because of canceling performances, outreach programs and such. Your city community playhouse may be eligible to apply for grants to offset loses due to the virus. A commercial dinner theater can apply for grants, etc. The Kennedy Center had already expressed concerns and had the numbers to show the direct impact of the virus on the operation. The proposal came from the Board of Governors, which includes the First Lady

NPR - the same thing - heck, even Fox News and CNN, a small town newspaper, a radio network - are all able to apply for money/ grants/ loans from this bill, if they can show loss of revenue or additional unforeseen costs due COVID-19.

As you pointed out, it is not only Democrats who have added items to the bill.

So far the only blatantly pure give away in the bill is several billion dollars that goes to oil pipeline companies. No requirements for demonstrating need due to the virus. Just pure giveaways of cash to the companies. At least the airlines and banks have to show some losses due to the virus.

Those were not in the original Senate leadership bill, but added by Republican Senators. The White House requested the Kennedy Center funding be added because of the limitations already set on the center to ensure that it cannot be run profitably.

The American Airlines Center in Dallas - where the Dallas Mavericks play - is eligible to ask for money to offset losses for cancelled events like NBA games. Many cities can ask for money lost due to the delay of the opening of the major league baseball season.

FedEx and UPS can ask for money, why should the US Postal Service - which is forced by the Congress, Republicans more than Democrats, to keep thousands of unprofitable small town post offices open - not be eligible to ask for money?

Yes, calling LifeLine - as I noted a Reagan/ G.W. Bush program - 'Obamaphone' just shows a willful desire to not even look at a program, it's intent or operation. Because if someone puts the word "Obama" on something - it must be evil an example of waste.

The level of hypocrisy astounds me.

If you look at the often used map of counties that voted for Trump and counties which voted for Clinton - the ones in red are the counties where many of the Connect America and LifeLine program beneficiaries life. Many 'Red State' Senators support all the federal programs of the USF. (Many states have added their own programs with their own USF.)

You mentioned the measure should focus only include money for those impacted by the virus. Most of the things on that list are directly tied to the financial impact of the virus.

We all know the airlines, and the agencies operating the airports, have been hit hard by the loss of revenue that the virus has caused. The funding bill imposes fewer restrictions on the airlines to prove the losses, or their use of the money they receive, than it does most recipients on that hit list to prove that their loses are directly related to the virus impact.

This level of nit-picking so common today is one reason I believe that Congress has become so non-functional. People have become one issue voters. If a Congressman makes ONE SINGLE vote someone with a few followers disagrees with - they are branded. It has made Congressmen and Senators unwilling to vote on small bill focused on specific issues.

I'm not going to say this bill is one of those, but it does have fewer questionable items than most.

KFTG

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:16 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
KFTG wrote:
DL717 wrote:

I find this rather absurd: explain to me the mechanics of a person earning 3K a week worrying about getting a one time stimulus of 2 days' worth of pay?
Someone who's so detailed about money should also have saved himself a proper cushion.
I'm even wondering if you should be getting any stimulus at all and if it wouldn't be better spent on someone who really needs it, for instance undr the form of a Coronavirus voucher to be redeemed at any hospital in the USA (cf kid in California died after being rejected by a hospital because uninsured)?

1000$ a week for unemployed people is also rather absurd. Most people don't make half that and in socialist Europe you'd be glad to take home 1/3rd of that and we won't even talk about communist China.

In this situation, the United States turns out to be quite the socialism that most didn't expect it to be.
I don't think that it was necessary to be so generous, but I hope that the poor and unemployed in the U.S. will take advantage of this to pull themselves up.

Also, I wonder if stock markets realise that the American economy will be paying for this bill?
If not through taxes and depressed government spending in the coming years, through inflation.

I didn't write the law.

FTMCPIUS

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:20 pm

seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

OK Seb, step out of your bubble for a moment. Fox, like CNN, MSNBC, are one-sided resources. Are you that deluded, or just dull, to not realize the difference? NPR is the recipient of public funds and FOX is not. BTW, getting back to a previous exchange we had, you implied Bush was (mostly) responsible for the 2008 market crash, and I challenged you to back your claim up with some facts. I know why crickets so far. :(

seb146

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:43 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:

OK Seb, step out of your bubble for a moment. Fox, like CNN, MSNBC, are one-sided resources. Are you that deluded, or just dull, to not realize the difference? NPR is the recipient of public funds and FOX is not. BTW, getting back to a previous exchange we had, you implied Bush was (mostly) responsible for the 2008 market crash, and I challenged you to back your claim up with some facts. I know why crickets so far. :(

My minor point is historically, presidents are credited with market gains and losses. My major point is GWB signed into law massive tax breaks for the wealthy and gave everyone stimulus money to keep the economy going. Which added to the debt. Under relaxed rules passed by Congress and signed into law saw banks short selling and giving out mortgages like candy. He simply pushed that on to the next administration.

https://www.thebalance.com/president-ge ... ts-3306331

As far as NPR, as I have explained, they are useful in a number of ways. Not only giving facts that other outlets do not give, but they also give opportunities to people who want long term careers. With no over-the-air public broadcasting airing shows on science and history, people would not be inspired to do those things. Some public broadcasting stations are on college campuses and give students the opportunity to work in real time with electricity and broadcasting, making them a vital part of the community.

KFTG

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:12 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

Are you submitting that all of the below provisions are solely Democratic Party ideas?

$7,500,000 to the Smithsonian for additional salaries
$35,000,000 to the JFK Center for performing Arts
$25,000,000 for additional salary House of Representatives
$3,000,000,000 upgrade to the IT department at the VA
$315,000,000 for State Department Diplomatic Programs
$95,000,000 for the Agency of International Development
$300,000,000 for International Disaster Assistance
$300,000,000 for Migrant and Refugee Assistance
$90,000,000 for the Peace Corp
$13,000,000 to Howard University
9,000,000 Misc Senate Expenses
$100,000,000 to Essential Air carriers
$40,000,000,000 Responsibility to Workers
$1,000,000,000 Airlines Recycle and Save Program
$25,000,000 to the FAA for administrative costs
$492,000,000 to National Railroad Corporation
$25,000,000,000 for Transit Infrastructure
$3,000,000 Maritime Administration
$5,000,000 Inspector General
$2,500,000 Public and Indian Housing
$5,000,000 Community Planning and Development
$1,500,000,000 Tenant-Based Rental Assistance
$720,000,000 to the public housing fund
$100,000,000 For Native Americans
$250,000,000 for Housing Block Grants for Tribes
$130,000,000 for AIDS Housing
$20,000,000 of which goes to one time grantees
$15,000,000,000 Community Development Fund
$5,000,000,000 in Homeless Assistance
$100,000,000,000 for Rental Assistance
$7,000,000 enforce the Fair Housing Act
$227,000,000 for grants to States for youth 2 activities
$261,000,000 for grants to States for dislocated worker
$10,000,000 for Migrant and Seasonal Farm workers
$100,000,000 for Job Corps
$15,000,000 for Program Administration
$6,500,000, to the Wage and Hour Division
$30,000,000, to OSHA
$10,000,000 for Susan Harwood training grants
$1,300,000,000, for Primary Health Care
$75,000,000, for Student Aid Administration
$9,500,000,000, for Higher Education

The bill then passed the US Senate unanimously.
Last time I checked (and much to my dismay) the US Senate is currently controlled by Republicans.
Then, your messiah Donald John Trump signed the bill into law, having threatened to eject a Republican lawmaker from "his party" for wanting a roll call vote.
So, what's your point? Other than cheap shots?

rfields5421

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:37 pm

KFTG wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Are you submitting that all of the below provisions are solely Democratic Party ideas?

And I might add - TT - what makes you think any of those items KFTG listed, or were in the earlier hit list were NOT directly related to the impact of COVID-19.

The Kennedy Center demonstrated the budget shortfall caused by the virus up to mid-March, and extrapolated out the continuing loss of money closures and such would be throught mid-April.

Many other of the items are similar.