Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WesternDC6B
Topic Author

Malapropisms

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm

What are your favorite malapropisms? Malaproisms, named after the character Mrs. Malaprop of Sheridan’s “The Rivals”, are common phrases with one word changed, turning it into something unintentionally amusing.

Example: “Rome wasn’t burnt in a day!”.

Another would be “You can observe a lot by watching”.

A favorite of mine, which replaces a word with a phrase, is, “It’s like falling of a bicycle; you never forget how”.

What are some from you, A-nutters?

PS: While not malapropisms, I like changing words around to see how people will react. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr, a long-passed US Supreme Court justice stated that free speech did not include, for example, using it to cause panic. Loosely quoted, he said that ‘[one] can’t cry out “fire!” in a crowded theater”. My variation is, “That’s like shouting ‘stage play!” in a crowded fire station!”.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

seb146

Re: Malapropisms

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:19 pm

Wasn't Yogi Berra famous for these? "It's like deja vu all over again" and "the future ain't what it used to be" and "pair up in threes" and (my favorite) "nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

WesternDC6B
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:37 pm

seb146 wrote:
Wasn't Yogi Berra famous for these? "It's like deja vu all over again" and "the future ain't what it used to be" and "pair up in threes" and (my favorite) "nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".

Those are more non-sequiturs than malapropisms, but just as much fun. Another favorite of mine is: “When you reach that fork in the road, take it!”

BartSimpson

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Ringo Starr was also good at it - there`s even a technical term for it: Ringoism.

Examples are "Eight Days a Week", "A hard Day`s Night", "Tomorrow never knows".

WesternDC6B
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:09 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Ringo Starr was also good at it - there`s even a technical term for it: Ringoism.

Examples are "Eight Days a Week", "A hard Day`s Night", "Tomorrow never knows".

And, PDQ Bach’s lyric: Only he who is running nose.

BartSimpson

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:00 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
PS: While not malapropisms, I like changing words around to see how people will react. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr, a long-passed US Supreme Court justice stated that free speech did not include, for example, using it to cause panic. Loosely quoted, he said that ‘[one] can’t cry out “fire!” in a crowded theater”. My variation is, “That’s like shouting ‘stage play!” in a crowded fire station!”.

Speaking of which, I like the urban legend about a company sign which said "This is a drug-free workplace." A witty person then changed the sign to "This is a work-free drugplace." The story goes that the management didn't notice the change for months!

Another story I once read was about a manager who wanted to encourage his employees by putting motivational posters all over the office. One sign read "Think!" and was placed near the sink in the kitchen. Another witty person (most certainly the same one from the first story) put a new sign near the soap dispenser which read "Thoap!"

casinterest

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 pm

It's not the years, it's the seconds.
Where ever you go, there you are.

ER757

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:32 pm

One from Sam Malone on Cheers - "Not a lot of people know this, but I'm pretty famous"

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:47 am

"The police are not here to create disorder, they're here to preserve disorder."

WesternDC6B
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:49 am

“Marriage isn’t a word. It’s a sentence!”
Bad leader Phil Harris

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:54 am

“Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.” – Dan Quayle

(bondage – bond)

ER757

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:45 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
"The police are not here to create disorder, they're here to preserve disorder."

Ah yes, good old Mayor Daley (the first one) during the 1968 democratic convention riots. Lived in Chicago at the time, and remember it well