Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Earthquake in Salt Lake City

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:32 pm

A magnitude 5.7 earthquake in Salt Lake City this morning took out power for thousands of homes and businesses, shut down the airport, and disrupted efforts to combat the coronavirus outbreak. The epicenter of the quake was located in Magna, Utah, 15 miles west of Salt Lake City just after 7 a.m. local time and at least 20 aftershocks followed, with magnitudes ranging from 2.5 to 3.9. The earthquake was the largest in Utah since 1992 and was felt from Logan to Riverton, which are about 100 miles apart. Salt Lake City International Airport was shut down and all trains on the Salt Lake Valley's light rail system (TRAX) came to a halt and pulled into the nearest station. The Utah Department of Transportation was checking the roads for any damage, but none was found. The earthquake could not come at a worse time as local officials were already dealing with the coronavirus outbreak. Best of hopes for those affected by the earthquake.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/5- ... g-n1162766

Erebus

Re: Earthquake in Salt Lake City

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:46 pm

How common are earthquakes around Utah? Could it mean Yellowstone next door is waking up? 2020 has given me so much anxiety already... :cry2:

seb146

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:13 pm

There is a major fault that runs through Utah. The common areas of the capital building were closed for several years to shore up the building and make it safer to be in if an earthquake hits. I remember this because for two years I was in SLC at least once a week and tried to tour the capital building. It was closed every time.

I am not sure if all the buildings around Temple Square are built to withstand earthquakes. I am sure the auditorium is, as it was built just before the Winter Olympics. But I don't think the Tabernacle or the Temple itself are.

SLC has a huge transit system, as well. FrontRunner, the commuter rail which runs between Provo and Ogden, as well as TRAX light rail which runs all over SLC and the one "streetcar" line.

I have a cousin in the area and he said they only had one patch of drywall that cracked.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:47 am

seb146 wrote:
There is a major fault that runs through Utah. The common areas of the capital building were closed for several years to shore up the building and make it safer to be in if an earthquake hits. I remember this because for two years I was in SLC at least once a week and tried to tour the capital building. It was closed every time.

I am not sure if all the buildings around Temple Square are built to withstand earthquakes. I am sure the auditorium is, as it was built just before the Winter Olympics. But I don't think the Tabernacle or the Temple itself are.

SLC has a huge transit system, as well. FrontRunner, the commuter rail which runs between Provo and Ogden, as well as TRAX light rail which runs all over SLC and the one "streetcar" line.

I have a cousin in the area and he said they only had one patch of drywall that cracked.

Is the LDS Headquarters designed to withstand earthquakes.

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:13 am

yes, but more importantly they keep all their records in a vault in the mountains https://thirdhour.org/blog/faith/family ... rds-vault/

dampfnudel

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:05 am

Another worst-case scenario, at our most vulnerable moment because of the pandemic, another major disaster either on a regional or global level strikes. The “big one” hitting California or a tsunami striking at a time when our resources are being marshaled for the pandemic is the ultimate nightmare scenario. Don’t even get me started on aliens deciding this is the perfect time to pay us a visit (I’ve watched too many sci-fi films).
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

ltbewr

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:11 am

So what's next, swarms of locusts ? (that happened a few months ago in Africa...oops...guess end times are really near !)

seb146

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:31 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Is the LDS Headquarters designed to withstand earthquakes.

I have not been to Temple Square in a few years. I was in the lobby of the LDS Headquarters building trying to get to the observation deck but we arrived too late. I was not paying attention to any earthquake safe guards. I had taken several tours of the Conference Center, across the street, and one thing they pointed out was the earthquake safety. That is an incredible building. If anyone has the chance to tour the Conference Center while in Salt Lake City, do it. It is amazing!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!